Life’s A Beach

So do you like it?  Huh? those of you reading in googlereader are asking.

I decided to change the background and color scheme on my bloggie.  In case you can’t remember what it was because I know some of you, like VeggieGirl, subscribe to like 10 million blogs and always is the first commenter no less, I love ya girl!

Anyway, the former bloggie background was an orangey, coral middle section with a semi-bright floral patten on the side.  Think cantelope, sunny days, and summer.  Well, it’s nearing fall and I wasn’t feelin’ the color scheme.  I really am not an orange lover.  Not to mention, I felt the orange background made all my food photos look a little off.  So, I am diggin’ this one much better.  What do you guys think?

I hope everyone’s been having a great weekend!  We just got back from the beach.  Well, the bay.  Mixed bag with a toddler.  Great for awhile, but then when we told her we had to go, All. Hell. Broke. Loose and MEGA tantrum ensued.  One of those tantrums that as a mom you wonder why you even tried to embark on this “oh-so-fun” actvitity?  That’s the price of being a mom to a little pumpkin just two and a half and on the bright side, it was still fun for most of the time.

I’m going to try to keep the commentary to a minimum today because I want to spend time with my family before the weekend is sadly, sniff-sniff, over.

Remember in this post when I mentioned I have a container garden?  Well the Little Engine That Could, aka my strawberry plant that has yielded about 4 strawberries thus far in it’s short existence appears to be turning the corner.  And my harvest total will be at a whopping 7 berries this season.  Baby steps, I tell ya.

Here’s a sampling of some of the eats of the past 24…

Raw Oatmeal.  I just soaked 1/3 c dry oats with 2/3 c almond milk for about 18 hours in the fridge with a banana that I diced.  Result:  Creamy oats, no cooking.  Who needs that darn radioactive box, I mean microwave, anyway?

Last night’s dinner was more of the Sweet ‘n Tangy Chicken-Less Chicken Salad, served open-face taco style in romaine leaves, garnished with dulse flakes, cukes, zukes, yellow peppers, and some crack black.

And no dinner is complete without even more veggies:
*B.S.
*Zukes
*Cukes
*Yellow & Orange Peppers
*Juice of 1/2 orange, Agave, & Crack Black

Here were some of the beach shots, not stunning, but my butt was comfortably parked on my blanket and this was the best I could muster from that comfy vantage point.

Walking hand in hand.  I like this one alot.

I want to go swimming by myself, Mommy.  Did I mention that I used to run away from my parents at the beach?  Payback’s a bitch, isn’t it.

I really cannot believe I am posting this, but what they heck.  I mean, I have posted some shots of me wearing not much more doing my yoga.  So here you go.  Modesty and shame out the window I guess.  Also it’s for Justine who mentioned that she is not comfy in a two-piece in some situations and since she has a rockin’ bod, I have no idea what she’s talking about but I think it’s a girl thing…I mean, who loves the way they look in a swimsuit?  Surely not I!

Speaking of yoga, here’s one of me in Marichasana C on the New Yoga Mat! Which in case you missed it, I gave the lowdown on the mat in this post.  Cliff’s Notes: I gave it a Two Namastes Up.

Averie

Tip of the Day:  When things are not going well, try to take some deep breaths and remember, This Too Shall Pass.  We all know this, but in the heat of the moment when there is sand getting all over the car, bare feet are walking on hot pavement, a kid is screaming bloody murder, your boss is chewing you out over something lame, your significant other just told you something even lamer…you get the drift.  Just take a few deep breaths, don’t freak, and remember it will be over soon.

What’s your In-The-Heat-of-the-Moment Stress reducing tip?

P.S. Stay tuned for some chocolate tomorrow.  And guess what…it’s NOT the raw vegan brownies.  Somethin’ new!

11 Responses to “Life’s A Beach”

Girl on Raw — August 28, 2009 at 7:56 pm

OMG I am soooo jealous you have a store like that so close to you. I have to make do with the basics and hope for a work trip to a place that has stores like these…or else rely on mail order (which I don't like to always do as it contributes heavily to my carbon footprint and my desire to shop locally most of the time).

Hmmm fast dinner…I love my Easy Raw Zuchinni Pasta here http://www.girlonraw.com/2009/08/swiss-chard-chips-and-quick-easy-raw.html. Always a favourite…

:D

Girl on Raw — August 28, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I mean here

VeggieGirl — August 28, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Medjool dates = ONLY dates worth eating. They're like caramel :)

Once again, we "yoga-ed" alike – I started my morning with lots of chaturangas.

RunToFinish — August 28, 2009 at 9:27 pm

mm I love dates, only discovered them this year! KC is a little behind on the vegan movement, but I'm getting us there

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 28, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Girl on Raw–I think I am the only person left in the raw food movement who doesn't own a spiralizer. I am planning to get the one Gena (Choosing Raw) recommends, saladaco or something to that effect. I need it pronto! Thanks for your link. And yea, I used to live in a really backwards part of the USA where there was nothing remotely vegan oriented. Mail order is better than nothing, carbon footprint and all :)

VG-Great minds think alike with the chaturangas. And yeah, medjools do taste like carmel. Great to see you back!!!! xoxo

RunToFinish-Thanks for the shout on and yeah I only recently discovered dates too. What was I thinking?! Funny I probably just had nasty ones which is why I never was that into them.

Gritsy — August 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Might I suggest trying Zevia. Zevia is the first all natural, 0 calorie stevia sweetened soda in the world. No aspartame & no Splenda. It tastes very good and its at Whole Foods. Six delicious flavors including Cola, Twist, Root Beer, Ginger Ale and Black Cherry.
    - Margaret
    PS If anyone wants to try ZEVIA to review it on their website please feel free to email me at margaret at zevia dot com.

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl — August 28, 2009 at 10:52 pm

First I have to say I read the above comments and you're wrong, Averie: I don't own a spiralizer either! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? ;-D

And about this post. Girl, I LOVE it!

First, it's so creative and fantabulously FUN!

Second, I'm so envious of that Vegan store! Awesome!

Third, those yummy ideas you shared with us are just RAWsome!!!

And last, I'm off to enter that honey contest. You see, this is why I don't consider myself a Vegan. Honey is such sweet bliss! :-P

*smiles*
    Raw Juice Girl

Kristen's Raw — August 28, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I have tried OSEA years ago…. it was nice. Lately I've been using 100%Pure (100percentpure.com). They have vegan, vegetarian, and organic products.

Love the ants on a log mixture you posted. I'll bet those are addictive! And, I have a box of those GF crackers in my cupboard, too. They're so crunchy! :)

Cheers, XOXO,
    Kristen

Shannon — August 28, 2009 at 11:55 pm

i need to get b'fast cookies in my life again–it's been way too long :) i have been putting a couple hazelnuts in my medjools… *heaven*

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 29, 2009 at 12:09 am

Michele, glad you thought my post was creative. Yeah, since I'm workin' on mommy sleep deprivation, I thought I was pretty damn creative too. LOL. Then again, when you don't get out much, you tend to think your own jokes are funny :)

Kristin-Thanks for the Osea feedback and for your link. Off to check that out! Dear lord I need something that works, is not full of SLS and parabens and garbage, but is not too many steps and stages and of course, cheaper than like La Mer would be nice. The ants on a log-stay away at midnight, they are really addictive!
    P.S. I am going to be moving to your hood next week. I'll try to email you offlist…

Hi Shannon-glad the b'fast cookie post reinspired you to reignite the missing cookie flame. I hope you enjoy yours…been rockin it out for the whole family over here.

Big XOXO to everyone!!! :)

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) — August 29, 2009 at 12:10 am

My fast meal? Easy- winter squash soup in the vitamix. Cut hunk of squash of choice but I include the skin, hunk of onion, hunk ginger, S&P, curry powder. Put in V-mix- run 4-5 min til hot (cooks in the Vmix b/c of the heat generated from blades). You can also nuke/steam squash first while you're cutting the other two veggies and shaking the seasonings on. Sooooo good and filling.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) — August 29, 2009 at 12:10 am

lilveggiepatch — August 29, 2009 at 3:35 am

That store is awesome! There have been a couple like that cropping up near me, too.

I want Ani's dessert cookbook SO badly.

Hayley — August 29, 2009 at 10:19 am

My favorite quick raw dish is definitely spiralized "noodles" made from zucchini and/or cucumber, carrots, etc. I top it with either marinara or Gena's raw peanut dressing. YUM!!

I just left a comment on Deb's blog about Jazzercise. :) I'm all for it because I teach it! Teehee..

Is that a chaturanga? Sorry if I mis-spelled that. I need to Google some of these yoga words. I plan on trying a class at 10:30 today after I teach this morning. I'm very excited!

That date/PB/choco chip combo looks decadent…my mouth is watering!

I'm finishing off some of my current products right now before I go buy some Burt's Bees stuff. I don't know much about natural products, but I'm trying to switch.

Hayley — August 29, 2009 at 10:24 am

I just saw that "chaturanga" was highlighted so I followed the link. There is a LOT more involved in these moves than I thought! No wonder why it's such a good workout…

Kimberly — August 29, 2009 at 12:39 pm

How funny that you put dates w/ PB on here. I just commented on someone else's blog that dates with sunbutter are a favorite of mine!! YUMMO!!

That vegan store is impressive! I live in the country and would flip out if there was a store like that around here–not that I could afford any of it though:)

All your raw treats look yummy–oatmeal cookie made my mouth water! I need to get 'un'cooking:)

I saw my ND(natureopathic Dr.) yesterday and was telling her that maybe I needed more cooked food because I am not feeling satisfied. She quickly disagreed and informed me that she doesn't think I am absorbing nutrients well enough to eat much cooked food. So, I guess I'm stickin' with more raw:) I need to try some new recipes! It's just a little tricky because I am the only one in the family that eats this way. Sorry to write a novel–see ya later:)

Emily — August 30, 2009 at 7:16 am

Hello again!
    I tend to just run with a salad when I need to make something quick. I became a pro at them when I had but 5 minutes to throw something together before taking it out the door and to work with me.
    I love those dates too. I don't tend to eat nut butters but I can sense how good that creaminess would be!
    Q: I have Ani's book in my amazon cart, but am curious as to how many recipes have grains in of some kind. How are you finding it, since you're gf?
    ~ e.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 30, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Emily-Ani's book is really good and I have only made a few things in it b/c I have just been short on time lately but plan to get goin' on things soon. I just thumbed thru it for you and really she doesn't use many grains at all. I think it's practically a GF and raw cookbook. And unlike other cookbooks where you need a dehydrator, this one isn't as heavy on the dehy action. And just the past week I've been craving PB. Normally not a nut butt girl either but I've just been goin' with it.

TheFitnessFreak — August 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Look at you go with all of those yummy treats:)

I've actually seen that vegan store It looks pretty cool!

Laura E — November 11, 2009 at 1:56 am

That bright green purse totally caught my eye! Love it.

Rachel — November 15, 2009 at 2:13 am

Cool store! But after looking at all your yummy foods nothing really stood out for me…I am just a yummy food addict :-)

Food Makes Fun Fuel — January 29, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I spy primal strips in that store! I love those. Vegan protein on the go

JW — January 29, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I would love to take a look at all the t-shirts that are there. I am kinda obsessed with t-shirts:)

Grace — January 29, 2010 at 11:33 pm

my fav shopping find: kabocha!

lindsey — January 30, 2010 at 12:09 am

you are so lucky to have that nearby!!

♥ lindsey

Anonymous — January 30, 2010 at 12:36 am

oh my those bags are cute. it is hard to find vegan bags.
    emily

Living and Loving in L.A. — January 30, 2010 at 3:43 am

I somehow missed this post!
    I love the health food and vegetarian stores we have here in L.A. not sure if there are any all vegan stores here…I must look into that!

Nutritious is Delicious — January 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm

What a cool store! However, $50 a pop? ouch!

Great idea with the plastic produce bags!

Annie — January 30, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I never even knew that their were complete vegan stores, so cool! Id totallty check out all the chocolates they have to offer :)

babyvanilla — January 30, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Omg, that yellow bag is sooooo cute! I could definately accessorize it with cool things and every non-vegan will be jealous of it :p

That raw oatmeal cookie looks delish :)

Melinda — January 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm

That Osea beauty line looks really good!

Laura E — January 31, 2010 at 1:11 am

What a fun shopping trip! The vegan skincare line,Osea, catches my eye the most!

Laura E — January 31, 2010 at 1:11 am

katie — January 31, 2010 at 6:36 am

Love dates with pb and chocolate chips!

Claudia — January 31, 2010 at 11:55 am

That store looks amazing! Wish we had one like that close by… :)

lovey.claud AT mycleaninbox.net

Claudia — January 31, 2010 at 11:57 am

All those colourful handbags definitely caught my eye — so pretty!

lovey.claud AT mycleaninbox.net

Jacque — January 31, 2010 at 4:30 pm

OMG! That raw oatmeal cookie…drool! Oatmeal cookies were really the only cookie I ever liked and I craved them like no other after going dairy free!

Audrey — January 31, 2010 at 6:20 pm

That store looks awesome! I'm always blown away by the price of cosmetics, though.

Rose — January 31, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Oh my goodness – an entire store dedicated to veganism!! Definitely a foreign concept in my neck of the woods unfortunately :( With my uber-sensitive skin, the skincare definitely caught my eye, and appealed to me the most.

rose.kissedbyan.angel@gmail.com

Michal — February 1, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I would love to check out some of those beauty products

Lena — February 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm

i really want to try mary's crackers!!! they wound so awesomeee!

Sallie — February 2, 2010 at 1:42 am

I use leftover produce bags for kitty litter clean-up!

Also, cool vegan store. I wouldn't know where to begin! Wish we had a store like that near where I lived. I love all those clothes – and I'd love to shop there knowing it's all vegan clothing and I wouldn't be finding bits of leather, etc on them!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl — February 2, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I spy a pink T-shirt! :-D

tyrah. — February 3, 2010 at 1:58 pm

love those ants on a log, very cute! I can't get enough of fresh dates! I also love the oatmeal raisin cookies from Ani's Raw Food Desserts, I like to make them for my Dad (they're his favorite baked cookie)

Robyn — September 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm

There's a great sustainable living store near where my parents live called "Real Green Goods". I always make time to visit when I go to visit my parents. They have the coolest stuff. I think my favorite purchase from them so far has been a set of bamboo utensils that I keep in a "to go" kit in my car!

Amanda Thomas — September 25, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I have never been to an all vegan store. But since moving to Georgia I do miss my weekly trips to a local health food store in Alabama. I haven't found the equivalent in my city yet, but there is an all vegan shop I would like to visit in a neighboring city.