Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

This recipe has me really excited!

Healthy No-Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites - When you're craving cookie dough, make this healthy version that tastes like the real thing! Ready in 5 minutes & so easy!

If you like cookie dough as much as I do, I know you will love these little doughy balls.

The beauty of this recipe is that because they are vegan (and gluten free) so you don’t have to worry when eating raw cookie dough.

Well, the only worry is that these little cookie dough bites are good.  A little too good.  Ahem.

Tip:  You can make them in batches and store extras in a tub in the freezer and take out a handful at a time.

Or don’t store them in the freezer...

And just go to town on them right away

Print Print Save Save

Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (gluten-free, soy-free)

They taste just like real cookie dough, except they're raw, vegan, gluten-free and healthy. They freeze wonderfully so consider making a double batch and stashing a dozen in the freezer for when your cookie dough cravings strike!

Yield: Approximately 17 Cookie Dough Balls

Prep Time: 10

Total Time: 10

Ingredients:

2/3 c raw cashews
1/3 c oats
2 Tbsp Agave
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup (Omit and use Agave to preserve true Raw Status if you care)
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 c Chocolate Chips (or to preserve true raw status, take 2 Tbsp Raw Cocoa Powder and add 1 Tbsp Agave, optional dash of vanilla extract, whisk and blend.  Spread into a thin layer on wax or parchment paper, freeze.  Take frozen chocolate off parchment and crumble the shreds into the mixture as your raw "chips".)

Directions:

Blend the cashews and oats in a Vita-Mix, food processor, or high speed blender until they're a fine powder. Don't overblend or you'll wind up with cashew butter very quickly.

Add the agave, maple, vanilla and blend until incorporated. Be careful to just blend in short bursts and only until combined; don't over-process.

Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.

Form into balls and serve. If dough is sticky, chilling it in the refrigerator or flash-chilling it in the freezer helps make it easier to work with.

Step-By-Step Photos and Tips

Take Oats & Cashews and get ready to Blend in your VitaMix

After you have your Oat-n-Cashew Flour…

…To it Add the Agave, Maple, & Vanilla Extract

Blend Again

Tip for Vita-Mix Users: You know you have “The Right Consistency” of Dough when the dough starts to ball up like a tennis ball and bangs around from side to side in the canister. I have learned this through trial and error and wanted to pass along my wisdom.  Once you see The Ball (what I am talking about is in the above photo) start whipping around, Stop Blending. You have reached Perfect Dough Consistency Status.

Add the Chocolate Chips (or the Raw Chocolate Chips like I told you how to make)

Either Stir them in By Hand, of a 5 Second Blend in the VitaCookie (or Food Processor)

Transfer Dough Blob to plate or working surface.  Tip: If for some reason your dough was too sticky, gummy, runny, or unworkable, refrigerate for a half hour and you should be back in business.

Roll Into Cute Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls.  I yielded 17 Balls from this Recipe.  Clearly, not an exact science but that’s what I got.

The Pretty Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Pretty is nice.  But they are freakin’ amazing. I am not just saying that, either.

Optional Tweaks:
Add a dusting of cocoa powder, carob powder, or powdered sugar to the finished balls
Roll in raw cocoa nibs or shredded coconut
Rather than adding in chocolate chips, add raisins instead and add a dash of cinnamon to the batter for Oatmeal-Cinnamon-Raisin Raw Cookie Dough Balls
Flatten or mold into larger cookie shapes
Dehydrate for a more “cooked tasting” version of a chocolate chip cookie.  But gawd I love the raw dough taste so this is out for me!

Now I wanted to touch on about why this may be one of my best dessert recipes ever! For me, a recipe has to encompass many things if I am going to actually make it and then continue making it as it becomes a go-to favorite.

Some of those recipe elements include:
1. Easy.  The less steps the better.
2. Time Involved. If I cannot make the entire thing from walking into my pantry to grab the dry goods to the last dish is dried and put away 30 minutes later then I am probably not going to make it.  I have a life outside of the kitch, too.
3. One appliance. For me, this is my Vita-Mix.  For you, it may be your food processor. Dehydrated food is lovely, but it can be a lonnnnng wait and too much advance planning.  And also the amount of dishes involved factors in here too.  If you need a whisk, spoon, spatula, mixer beaters, Vita canisters, dehydrator screens, 7 bowls, forget it.  One Appliance Please.
4. Very simple and short ingredient list.  Nothing exotic.  Nothing too expensive to deplete your savings account.
5. Taste.  Must be excellent and if it’s a raw approximation of Something Else, it’s gotta taste like the Something Else it’s trying to be otherwise why bother. Just eat the Something Else or skip it entirely.  Unless I can make a raw approximation that is spot-on in the flavor department, I’d rather just not have it.

These Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls have all of items 1 through 5. And using the above as my criteria, the cookie dough balls are in company with these other Raw Vegan Desserts I have created that also encompass items 1 through 5:

Raw Vegan Donut Holes

Raw Vegan Chocolate Donut Holes

Raw Vegan Apple Crumble

And All my raw baking tips that I just gave you in the recipe!  Now go make yourself some of these Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

326 Responses to “Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls”

Jessica — October 30, 2009 at 2:29 am

The first pic of your dehydrated tomatoes looked like mini pumpkins. :) I love the pics of your daughter!

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries — October 30, 2009 at 2:38 am

I wish I had a magic box!! I am OBSESSED with sun-dried toms, but I ration my consumption because I buy 'em by the bag. (I imagine yours are 2938298329 times better, too!)

If you hear the door bell tonight, it's me :)

Devan Geselle. N — October 30, 2009 at 2:46 am

Oh Averie! You are a shining heart of gold! Random acts of kindess are always so amazing. I love that you are there to listen, giving a shoulder, and sharing your stories and awesome recipes :)

Your packages are awesome. It always fills my heart with joy when i know that other people out there are always doing RAOK as well :)

I always send my family random messages.. such as "i love you".. just to let them know I am always thinking of them.
    Also, since I work at a restraunt, I always snag some left over food and give it to the few homeless people taht i always see on the street :( it breaks my heart.

I started doing yoga again!! And I am loving it :) I am just starting out with Hatha right now..

Pure2Raw Twins — October 30, 2009 at 2:54 am

Your daughter is so cute!!! We have never really been big Halloween people. No big plans here…actually we will be working like always!

peaceandpeanutbutter — October 30, 2009 at 3:12 am

Thanks for all the great recipes, Averie! Your sundried tomatoes look divine!!

I surely have received a LOT of ROAK through support from my family. I had a bumpy week and was a little down while at school, but my family was very supportive :-)

I provided an open ear to a friend who was needing a little boost of lovin', too! It's so wonderful to give back that Kindness!!

Thanks for a great post,
    Erika

glidingcalm — October 30, 2009 at 3:17 am

hot tubbb! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'm slightly jealous!!!

That salad looks so yummy!! I wish I could have one just like it right now!!

Hurray FOR SNAIL MAIL not getting lost and arriving in one piece!! And yay to Miss CCK! She is a dollface!! I love her!!

I LOVE YOUR PURSE. so cuteeee!

Take care Mama Averie!!!!!!!!!
    kiss the little ones boo-boos for me!! Tell her I am sending her som healing fairy dust to sprinkle on them!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) — October 30, 2009 at 3:41 am

I believe I have some random acts of yumminess at home waiting for me sunday from some nice folks.

Acorn fries look very yummy- will try that.

J — October 30, 2009 at 5:11 am

I could never go with the candy honor system. Too many kids come from other neighborhoods to get "good candy" and lots of it! The bowl would be empty in 20 minutes!

Cindy — October 30, 2009 at 5:13 am

AWWW Averie! What a sweet day you've had…

you deserve it! and sadly, we've lived here 7 years and still don't know many people. not the most social peeps we are.

RAOK…love it! you give all the time…each day you share what you do on your blog…your recipes and your yoga and just YOU!

I love your tomatoes. dried tomatoes are the best!
    Hope you have a great weekend and fun Halloween…us? we are visiting "patti n bill" for a spell with jj…carving pumpkins and who knows what else.

should be fun

jesslikesithot — October 30, 2009 at 5:52 am

Gahhh I kinda NEED those raw cookie bites…and the dehydrated tomatoes! Those look fab and i'm sure would taste amazingly in a sandwich or on a salad :)

Raising Seven Vegans — October 30, 2009 at 8:15 am

I've not tried dehydrating tomatoes before. I'll have to give that a go when I get the time. Thanks for the idea.

*Naomi* — October 30, 2009 at 10:01 am

lucky gal! how sweet of GC anad katie to send you halloween goodies!!

the tomatoes look greattt :) I love dried tomatoes…thats crazy how long it takes in the dehydrator but I guess you can just plop them in them forget about them for a ltitle while!

halloween plans, don't know yet…the bf hates dressing up so we may just stay in and hand out candy! I do love seeing little kids costumes!

thanks for all yoru help with my reader…i THINK i figured out the issue!!

xoxox

Hayley — October 30, 2009 at 11:19 am

I hate when I get behind on your blog because i miss out on SO MUCH!! I'm more than excited to see you made roasted acorn squash fries, because I've had an acorn squash sitting on my counter for way too long and I haven't quite known what to do with it. Now I have a plan!! :)

Those tomatoes look awesome! That dehydrator thingie is really working out well for you. I'm jealous! I probably shouldn't invest in another kitchen appliance though – Chris already thinks I'm whacked out as it is.

You are too freaking cool to have that hot tub craned into your house…I was chuckling at the pics but way to go!!

I'm not surprised you received so many nice RAOK Averie – you are easy to love.

I'm headed to a low key party tomorrow night (kind of a lame one, if I do say so myself) but Chris is working all day and night and I want to get out of the house. I got a really cute (sexy) flapper costume and I'm bound and determined to wear it!

VeggieGirl — October 30, 2009 at 11:23 am

You caught THIS Chanel girl's attention :-D

CHocolate-katie — October 30, 2009 at 11:49 am

Oh Averie, I just read your last post (I'm tryng to catch up!). Your little girl is ADORABLE! I'm sure I said it before, but it's worth saying again :). Now I really wish I lived near you so I could meet her (I love little kids).

Oh, and about keeping the posts trimmed down… LOL that's how I get so behind and still have summer photos to post! I love your long posts; they brighten my day, and each morning when I wake up, there's your smiling face doing some crazy-flexible yoga pose that I wouldn't be able to do for a million dollars.

Ok, this is a supeer-long comment (to make up for my lack of comments on your last few posts), but to summarize: You are amazing and sweet and I am SO glad to have you in my (blog) life!!

shannonmarie — October 30, 2009 at 11:51 am

Now that's a long post. Where did you find the time?

I'm so jealous of your dried tomatoes. I always eat all the fresh ones before I have a chance to dry any.

Love the chocolate-covered Katie treats. She is sweet … and tricky, too. I can't believe she titled that one post, "I'm pregnant." I bet she had a zillion visitors that day :-)

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) — October 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Happy Friday Averie! What nice little gifts you got from your bloggy friends. Ya for Katie and those fudge babies.. look amazing!

As for some RAOK lately, I received a Halloween card with a nice long letter in the mail yesterday from my 88 yr old grandma. She is still completely with it and more social than me.. lol No joke.. she has like 3 parties to attend this weekend. But the fact that she took time to get out the ol paper and pen and sit down and write to me was touching!

Your salad looks fabulous. Nothing beats tomatoes, cauli, and broc.. my 3 fav!

Have a super day and ps.. I just attempted the "big toe pose".. It felt good! :)

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) — October 30, 2009 at 12:23 pm

OH and PINK chanel=love… sooooo great, Averie.. big pink girl, so Im diggin it! :)

itsawrapteacher — October 30, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I spy my lovable fudge babies. Once you start you can't stop!

The Voracious Vegan — October 30, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I want to make my own sundried tomatoes, I keep saying that and I never get around to it!

Oh, guess what Averie! We finally got flax seeds! We found a store that carries them. Of course, in typical Saudi fashion once they are out of stock they will never be replaced. Looks like I better stock up!

Everything looks delicious and I love the pictures of your high flying jacuzzi!

Karen — October 30, 2009 at 1:16 pm

LOVE the purse! Class never goes out of style.

Lauren — October 30, 2009 at 1:22 pm

How awesome of Katie and GC for thinking of you! :)

Again, your daughter makes the perfect princess!

Those raw chocolate chippers look amazing!! Those are my fav. kind of cookie!! I need to get my dehydrator going again!

I've always loved Chanel and Louie Vuitton, my grandma always (and still does) wore those purses so they will forever remind me of her! :)

Julie — October 30, 2009 at 1:54 pm

awwww what an ADORABLE halloween card :) and surprise treats are an awesome way to start the weekend!

so fun :)

those tomatoes look off the hizzy girl

healthhappinesshope — October 30, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I just have to say that those tomatoes look PERFECT Averie. I seriously thought they might be fake for a minute! You never cease to impress me! :)

ALWAYS remember that there are SO many people who care SO much about you Averie. Whether they are down the hall or across the globe, you will always have people who would do anything for you and truly love you!

xxoo
    Heather

Alison — October 30, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Hey you crazy yogi! I have a new found respect for you and your crane hiring hot tub lifting self! I am all about getting the job DONE! If I want it to happen, I'm gonna make it happen.

I'm off to make me up some Averie inspired donut holes! Stay tuned!

K from ksgoodeats — October 30, 2009 at 3:55 pm

This require a list!!

1. Food – Nothing drives me more insane than roasted peppers/sundried tomatoes that have been bathing in a vat of oil. Your version looks so fresh!! Don't even get me started on the raw cookie dough balls. Seriously, don't ;)

2. Mail – What a cute card from GC and a YUMMY box from Katie! That kind of mail is the best!

3. Chanel – I'm in love with your bag! Chanel is my favorite designer ever. If I could dress myself in head to toe Chanel, I would.

Kris | Iheartwellness.com — October 30, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Cute C's ;) they never go out of style doll! Happy Friday!

foodfitnessfreshair — October 30, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I love sundried tomatoes…That's great that you made them yourself! They are great for jazzing up almost any dish and add a lot of flavor as a topping!

Nance — October 30, 2009 at 7:57 pm

I loved this extra-long post! You inspire me to get a dehydrator. And you've solved my supper vegetable question for tonight, since I have all I need for the sprouts and asparagus dish.

Your post on Mature Landscaping was so welcomed! Working to get some inter-generational kindness going on there. I posted a response on the site expressing thanks. Love you, honey! And love to the fam, too.

Nance Meeker — October 30, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Nance — October 30, 2009 at 7:59 pm

ohonemorething — October 30, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Hello m'lady! I'm gonna pass the banana dahl recipe along to you, and I'm sure you can find some way to make it suit your needs :D

RAOK.. hmm.. well the other day there was a man with a sign saying he was hungry and I remembered that I had packed some PB filled pretzels so I gave him the bag :) But then I was thinking that I wish I also had water too!! Pretzels can make you thirsty!

Hayley — October 30, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Me again! I forgot to tell you how much I love LOVE LOVE your pink purse (my favorite color) and also ask you if that link to the acorn squash fries is correct because it isn't working for me? Although I do still need to catch up on your old posts so I'll probably find it when I get the chance to look through them. Gotta run out the door!

RunToTheFinish — October 30, 2009 at 9:01 pm

you know how I know you are so amazing… look at teh great people sending you gifts because you deserve it and look at everyone leaving these nice long comments. Wonderful.

Yeahh for little princess!!

Jenny — October 30, 2009 at 9:18 pm

is that really a bubblegum pink hot tub on top of a pink house? I just died a little on the inside.

those are such sweet packages :) I love GC and CCK! and you are absolutely right, RAOK make the world a better place.. so cliche, but so true!

ah my hammies love that pose :)

p.s. I went to an interview for the education program at my school. Apparently It's a really big deal.. interviews and applications, essays, yada yada yada.. very tedious! thats bureaucracy for ya!

Enjoy your weekend love. Namaste!

Nutritious is Delicious — October 30, 2009 at 9:35 pm

MMM! I may have to attempt to make those sundried tomatoes for my mama! She'd love 'em!

This post is just full of goodness! :D

Nutritious is Delicious — October 30, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Discontinuing Nectar Bars! No!

joyofood — October 30, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Hi just found your blog and wanted to say hello from the UK. How wonderful are you with the random act of kindness

You have covered my fave veg, cauliflower n broccoli and then a salad, YUM

Taylor

Erin — October 31, 2009 at 2:07 am

Averie, I've finally made it over to your blog after reading your comments on some of MY favorite blogs. I figured, a woman with good taste like that MUST be someone worth reading ;)

And I was right! Thanks for the laughs (you are awesome for hoisting your hot tub!) and the yoga stretches! Looking forward to finally reading more :)

Girl on Raw — October 31, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Oh how I have missed thee. Nice post Averie. Hope you are well :)

TheFitnessFreak — November 1, 2009 at 12:24 am

That is so great that your blogging buddies sent you treats! I am glad you feel the love we have for you from there! You are awesome Averie and we support you from all corners of the country : )

I keep meaning to dehydrate some of my tomatoes. Buying them is so expensive!

Enjoy the evening with your little princess! I'll be at home nursing sa serious headache : (

gazy pieprzowe — January 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I actually did not think this situation that way. I assume that there is a point in this. Pleased to be able to participate. Wish you good luck.

Katie @ ohshineon — January 16, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I love whipping up recipes like this in a flash. They are so good and so quick and just fix my sweet and salty craving in a flash. I love grinding up some pretzel bits and adding them to the batter for an extra crunch.

Charity — January 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Do you have to presoak the cashews?

Colleen — January 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Instead of cashews for the flour could you use peanuts or almonds? or more oats?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 30th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

You probably could but the cashews are replacing the “buttery taste” in cookie dough and almonds and peanuts aren’t nearly as creamy or buttery-ish tasting so the taste will be a little different and you will have to grind them longer since they are a much tougher/firmer/harder nut than cashews.

Sadie Miller — February 8, 2012 at 9:38 am

These look so yummy! I tried to make the raw chips but when I froze them they were chewy instead of hard like a chocolate chip. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 8th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Raw chocolate chips made with coconut oil or any chocolate made with coconut oil will stay chewy since it never really freezes solid. Google for recipes for raw chocolate making that don’t involve coconut oil and use another base if you want to truly keep it raw; otherwise just use a standard chocolate chip that you enjoy.

Tiffany — February 23, 2012 at 3:44 am

I just wanted to let you know I made the Raw Chocolate Chip Dough Balls, and they are AWESOME!! I actually didn’t even get to make them into balls…I just ate the dough straight out of the bowl!!! I am so excited to finally be able to make something that resembles a real cookie taste!!!! I even had my non-GF friend try the dough and she couldn’t believe what was in it!!! Thank you so much!! I absolutely love your website and you’ve taken a lot of the food deprivation out of being GF!!! :)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 8:03 am

I’m glad you like them and my blog. Thanks for reading and making these and for the feedback :)

Melissa — February 25, 2012 at 11:59 am

Hello! Just found your blog I absolutely adore it! I am allergic to cashews, i was wondering what a good substitution would be in the raw cookie dough?
    Thanks so much!
    Melissa

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 25th, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Possibly macadamia nuts…or you could try almonds. However, the cashew is the “butter” in the recipe, so the creamier and softer the nut, the better.

• Theresa replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 7:53 am

Has anyone tried using peanuts? I too am allergic to cashews….

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 9:27 am

yes but they taste like peanut butter cookies more than choc chip cookies because of the peanuts whereas the cashews are much more flavor-neutral, but in your case, I’d go with the peanuts!

Michelle — February 26, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I just made these and they’re awesome! I love that they are so quick and easy to make and I have all the ingredients regularly stocked in my pantry. Thank you for sharing these!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 26th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

So glad you made them and enjoyed..and yes, I am all about QUICK and easy and ingredients I have on-hand in the pantry.

I love your website…it’s fun and creative and great!

Peyton — March 25, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I made the cookie dough balls today..but I made the recipe my own.

I added coconut oil…a little less than a tbsp
    I added a tbsp of healthforce greener grasses powder
    instead of chocolate chips I added cocoa nibs
    I also added 1/4 cup of finely shredded dried coconut
    I also only used 1 tbsp of agave and 1tsp of maple syrup

They turned out really good…it tasted just like cookie dough.
    It was hard to stop eating it. Thanks for the recipe.

1 2 3