Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

This recipe has me really excited!

Healthy No-Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites - When you're craving cookie dough, make this healthy version that tastes like the real thing! Ready in 5 minutes & so easy!

If you like cookie dough as much as I do, I know you will love these little doughy balls.

The beauty of this recipe is that because they are vegan (and gluten free) so you don’t have to worry when eating raw cookie dough.

Well, the only worry is that these little cookie dough bites are good.  A little too good.  Ahem.

Tip:  You can make them in batches and store extras in a tub in the freezer and take out a handful at a time.

Or don’t store them in the freezer...

And just go to town on them right away

Print Print Recipe

Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (gluten-free, soy-free)

They taste just like real cookie dough, except they're raw, vegan, gluten-free and healthy. They freeze wonderfully so consider making a double batch and stashing a dozen in the freezer for when your cookie dough cravings strike!

Yield: Approximately 17 Cookie Dough Balls

Prep Time: 10

Total Time: 10

Ingredients:

2/3 c raw cashews
1/3 c oats
2 Tbsp Agave
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup (Omit and use Agave to preserve true Raw Status if you care)
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 c Chocolate Chips (or to preserve true raw status, take 2 Tbsp Raw Cocoa Powder and add 1 Tbsp Agave, optional dash of vanilla extract, whisk and blend.  Spread into a thin layer on wax or parchment paper, freeze.  Take frozen chocolate off parchment and crumble the shreds into the mixture as your raw "chips".)

Directions:

Blend the cashews and oats in a Vita-Mix, food processor, or high speed blender until they're a fine powder. Don't overblend or you'll wind up with cashew butter very quickly.

Add the agave, maple, vanilla and blend until incorporated. Be careful to just blend in short bursts and only until combined; don't over-process.

Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.

Form into balls and serve. If dough is sticky, chilling it in the refrigerator or flash-chilling it in the freezer helps make it easier to work with.

Step-By-Step Photos and Tips

Take Oats & Cashews and get ready to Blend in your VitaMix

After you have your Oat-n-Cashew Flour…

…To it Add the Agave, Maple, & Vanilla Extract

Blend Again

Tip for Vita-Mix Users: You know you have “The Right Consistency” of Dough when the dough starts to ball up like a tennis ball and bangs around from side to side in the canister. I have learned this through trial and error and wanted to pass along my wisdom.  Once you see The Ball (what I am talking about is in the above photo) start whipping around, Stop Blending. You have reached Perfect Dough Consistency Status.

Add the Chocolate Chips (or the Raw Chocolate Chips like I told you how to make)

Either Stir them in By Hand, of a 5 Second Blend in the VitaCookie (or Food Processor)

Transfer Dough Blob to plate or working surface.  Tip: If for some reason your dough was too sticky, gummy, runny, or unworkable, refrigerate for a half hour and you should be back in business.

Roll Into Cute Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls.  I yielded 17 Balls from this Recipe.  Clearly, not an exact science but that’s what I got.

The Pretty Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Pretty is nice.  But they are freakin’ amazing. I am not just saying that, either.

Optional Tweaks:
Add a dusting of cocoa powder, carob powder, or powdered sugar to the finished balls
Roll in raw cocoa nibs or shredded coconut
Rather than adding in chocolate chips, add raisins instead and add a dash of cinnamon to the batter for Oatmeal-Cinnamon-Raisin Raw Cookie Dough Balls
Flatten or mold into larger cookie shapes
Dehydrate for a more “cooked tasting” version of a chocolate chip cookie.  But gawd I love the raw dough taste so this is out for me!

Now I wanted to touch on about why this may be one of my best dessert recipes ever! For me, a recipe has to encompass many things if I am going to actually make it and then continue making it as it becomes a go-to favorite.

Some of those recipe elements include:
1. Easy.  The less steps the better.
2. Time Involved. If I cannot make the entire thing from walking into my pantry to grab the dry goods to the last dish is dried and put away 30 minutes later then I am probably not going to make it.  I have a life outside of the kitch, too.
3. One appliance. For me, this is my Vita-Mix.  For you, it may be your food processor. Dehydrated food is lovely, but it can be a lonnnnng wait and too much advance planning.  And also the amount of dishes involved factors in here too.  If you need a whisk, spoon, spatula, mixer beaters, Vita canisters, dehydrator screens, 7 bowls, forget it.  One Appliance Please.
4. Very simple and short ingredient list.  Nothing exotic.  Nothing too expensive to deplete your savings account.
5. Taste.  Must be excellent and if it’s a raw approximation of Something Else, it’s gotta taste like the Something Else it’s trying to be otherwise why bother. Just eat the Something Else or skip it entirely.  Unless I can make a raw approximation that is spot-on in the flavor department, I’d rather just not have it.

These Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls have all of items 1 through 5. And using the above as my criteria, the cookie dough balls are in company with these other Raw Vegan Desserts I have created that also encompass items 1 through 5:

Raw Vegan Donut Holes

Raw Vegan Chocolate Donut Holes

Raw Vegan Apple Crumble

And All my raw baking tips that I just gave you in the recipe!  Now go make yourself some of these Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

338 Responses to “Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls”

Dana — August 6, 2013 at 10:18 am

These are delicious!!! I don’t have agave, though. What do you recommend as a substitute? Thanks!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 6th, 2013 at 10:41 am

Honey, maple syrup, corn syrup, yacon syrup, or anything sticky like those!

Mary — August 7, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Can you use other nuts beside cashew?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 7th, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Please read the comments on page 3 – I just addressed this with a few readers yesterday.

Betsy Wyatt — August 16, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I saw the nutriton facts that someone posted. But do we know the carb count per ball?

Sarah — August 20, 2013 at 3:54 am

Oh . My . Goodness.
    I just made these and had to PHYSICALLY stop myself from eating the whole batch!! Thank you so so much for this recipe it really is amazing! I LOVE cookie dough and your recipe just solved my cookie dough obsession for LIFE! I took your advice about the cashews and did not regret a single thing! Gosh I could gush over this for hours but I just wanted to say thank you again! Perfection!

Lots of Love from Singapore,
    Sarah Schick :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 20th, 2013 at 11:48 am

I’m so glad you liked them and that the cashews worked out and that you loved these! Thanks for the great feedback!

Sarah Schick — August 20, 2013 at 4:25 am

Oh! I shared this recipe on myfitnesspal.com under my account! But i linked your blog and took no credit for it! Sorry i forgot to ask before i did but i really wanted to share the recipe!

Emily — August 26, 2013 at 5:31 am

OMG I just bought Agave and I am soo happy that Ican use it to make this goodies! I’m thinking about adding some pb to the dough… yumyum

Amy Coneset — September 2, 2013 at 4:30 am

Do you use the dry Vitamix container? I haven’t purchased one yet and wonder if it is worth the money.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 2nd, 2013 at 4:49 am

I have it and never use it. I always just use the main wet container, even if I’m grinding dry. So far so good, 6+ yrs later. I would save y0ur money, personally.

• Glenda Erwin replied: — November 17th, 2013 at 8:16 am

I don’t have a Vitamix, just a regular blender and food processor. I tried another recipe that called for “High Speed Blender” or Vitamix and the almonds I blanched (soaked, shelled) and ground up did not work out as it should have, very grainy. So, will this recipe not work unless it’s with a Vitamix (high speed blender)?

I just purchased some raw cashews, that I use for other recipes, and don’t want to waste them if it won’t turn out right.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 17th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

The recipe works just fine in either a Vitamix or a food processor. Do NOT SOAK them first. That could be part of your issue. This recipe needs dry nuts so that when blended they pulverize down into dust that resembles flour; not a wet sloppy paste which is what will happen if you soak them first. Just toss your raw cashews along with rest of ingredients into your food proc and watch it closely. Blend for about 30 secs, give or take, and you should be all set.

Kathleen — September 2, 2013 at 10:05 am

I keep seeing this pop up on Pinterest and they look great but the recipe on the pin is different than the one on this website. The one on the pin uses bananas, oats, chocolate chips, vanilla, and peanut butter. If you don’t have agave would banana work for adding sweetness?

Sandy G. — September 12, 2013 at 11:38 pm

This was a good recipe, but a chocolate chip cookie is not made simply because chocolate chips were added.
    The taste was a nice subtle sweetness with moments of chocolate.
    This in no way mimics the flavor profile of a chocolate chip cookie.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 13th, 2013 at 12:10 am

That’s an interesting perspective. I happen to love them and many hundreds of people have written in saying they love them, too. To each their own!

• Steph replied: — November 29th, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Since this is a recipe for cookie dough and not an actual cookie, I wonder why one would expect it to be an exact replica of a Tollhouse teeming with white flour, butter, & brown sugar. Seems like thinly veiled criticism of a healthier version of this treat that is offered for free on a blog.

On another note, I totally forgot about these dough balls. I have been making my littles the chocolate chip flavor larabar type treats we call brownies, but the oats sound like a fine idea. I will definitely double the batch tomorrow.

Thanks for a great recipe! It sure is hard putting your work out there for the world to judge. I don’t normally comment, but get so dang fired up when I read rudeness on blogs, I had to say something.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 29th, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Steph – I don’t know you but I heart you :)

Thank you for your support and for realizing that not every recipe will suit everyone’s needs nor is ‘perfect’ for everyone, and in this situation, a healthy alternative like this does taste darn close to real cookie dough, but no, it’s not refrigerated-dough-in-a-tube with all kinds of interesting ingredients. And if that’s what someone wants, that’s easily obtainable.

Raw, vegan, GF, healthy options aren’t always so easy obtainable which is why I posted this recipe back in 2009! And yes, it’s hard to put work out there to be scrutinized but I try to remember that tons of people love it and if a few people don’t, oh well :)

Alyssa — September 30, 2013 at 11:47 pm

How are they vegan when you are adding chocolate chips? Chocolate has dairy?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 1st, 2013 at 1:14 am

Semi-sweet chocolate has no dairy.

• Traci replied: — October 7th, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Dark chocolate is also dairy free – around 70% cocoa has the dark chocolate taste and a bit of sweetness. I think that may be classified as bittersweet?

Sara S. — October 5, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I just bought some raw cashews at Trader Joes today so that I can make these. I can’t wait to try them, hopefully tomorrow!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 5th, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I use those TJs nuts -they’re my faves. Hope you love these balls!

Carrie — November 11, 2013 at 11:41 am

I have been eating a paleo diet. Will these turn out okay if I delete the oats?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 11th, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Probably not, no. The oats are necessary in this very short ingredients list – everything is there for a reason.

Veronica G. — November 11, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Just trying to give a heads-up… semi-sweet chocolate morsels typically contain milkfat, which renders these little yummies, sadly, not vegan =( However, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods brand chocolate chips are both vegan… so use those! Yum!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 11th, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I do use TJs chips almost exclusively and yes, well aware they’re vegan. Thanks!

• Tjo replied: — December 21st, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Not all semi-sweet chocolate chips have milk fat. Ghirardelli is one I get if I can’t get to whole foods :)

Jaclyn — November 28, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I’m going to need these after Thanksgiving today, an indulgence in a much healthier form. Genius creation!

Sunshine — January 4, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I almost NEVER comment on blogs and I know this post is old… but I had to tell you I loved these, and so did my 3 year old son. We are not raw or vegan or even vegetarian but I like to make tons of different things for him to try. I used honey and a little less than the amount of sweetener you have in the recipe and they came out awesome! I think they taste ridiculously close to cookie dough, and even the texture is spot on. Thanks for making/posting this recipe, I’m def going to try some of your other ones!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 4th, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Even though it’s older, this is my #1 most viewed post every year, in the history of my blog since 2009! Glad you like them and your 3 y.o. did too :)

Caroline — January 5, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Wow! Made these today and my entire family loved them! I only had roasted cashews at the house – so I used them but next time I’m definitely going for the raw! Also for the ingredients for the raw chocolate chips…is there anything else I can add? With just the cocoa powder, vanilla and agave it didn’t mix well. Maybe I’m doing it wrong! Loved them!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 5th, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I would just use storebought (vegan) chips or mini chips – this recipe is from 2009 and I much prefer to just buy my chips. Saves a lot of time and energy :) Glad you love the recipe!

sandra — January 14, 2014 at 5:19 pm

would it work to substitute honey and walnuts instead of agave and cashews?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 14th, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I haven’t tried it that way but if you do, LMK how it goes!

Krissy of B-Inspired Mama — January 22, 2014 at 8:26 am

Ummm… YUM. That’s all. ;)

Mona — February 12, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I want to make these for vday for my boyfriend. I was wondering can I bake them? or it will be ruined?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 12th, 2014 at 2:05 pm

You cannot bake them; they will be ruined.

Carolyn — February 13, 2014 at 3:48 pm

These are truly amazing! We have made multiple batches this week and the whole family loves them! Getting about 11-13 a batch on ours. Trying to get the nutritional value. Can you repost? I can’t find it.

Thanks for deliciousness,

C

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 13th, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I don’t post nutritional stats. You can plug the data into an online service and see for yourself – I haven’t the time :)

Maggie — February 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm

These are so yummy! They taste just like cookie dough without the raw egg, sugar,and gluten. My kids love them (always the true test). I plan to triple the recipe next time so I have plenty on hand in the fridge. First batch gone already! Thank you so much girl!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — February 18th, 2014 at 4:28 pm

That’s great that you love them & so do your kids – triple batch, love the way you think :)

akageorge — February 20, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Thought you’d like to know this weight-loss scam site is using your photo (with the banana recipe):

BTW, your recipe looks so much better!

Tamara — February 24, 2014 at 1:53 pm

You are absolutely right, these are amazingly delicious!

Ben — March 2, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Isn’t agave syrup about as bad for you as High Fructose Corn Syrup?

Trisha — March 19, 2014 at 8:06 am

Thank you for sharing your recipe! It is so incredibly delicious!!! I made these without telling my kids what was in them (one does not like cashews) they ended up loving them and take them in their lunch. The only thing I changed is using honey instead of the agave syrup. I’m making these little yummy balls all the time now!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — March 19th, 2014 at 8:24 am

So happy that you and the kids love them and you’re making them often!

Emerald — May 21, 2014 at 3:31 am

These are amazing! My entire family loves them! I rolled mine in toasted coconut, because they were quite sticky and it added a nice taste! :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 21st, 2014 at 10:15 am

Thanks for trying them & glad your whole family loves them!

Stephanie — June 11, 2014 at 8:43 am

So excited to try this! Looks amazing….

Manda — June 21, 2014 at 6:06 am

When I first tried these, I didn’t think they tasted very much like cookie dough. I just assumed that I messed it up though since everyone else is such a fan. I did end up making it to the cashew butter point when blending, so that may have affected the flavor in mine.

I didn’t want to throw them out, and since I had also made your no-bake vanilla cake batter truffles at the same time (delicious, btw), I decided to truffleize these thinking more chocolate could only help, right? The verdict: AMAZING. For some reason encasing them in chocolate covered up my mistakes and made them taste 100% like cookie dough. I brought them to book club and everyone loved them!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 21st, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Yes if you go to the point of cashew butter and over-blend, it will effect the taste and it won’t taste as much like dough (I’ve done that) and glad you were able to save it and dipped them in chocolate! Great call :) And glad you like the no-bake vanilla cake batter truffles, too!

Candied Nuts — June 30, 2014 at 2:35 am

Thanks for this wonderful post :)

Rikki — July 5, 2014 at 5:09 am

I just stumbled upon your recipe yesterday and thought, “healthy cookie dough, what a great concept!”;) haha. I went to pick up some cashews and the grocery store was nuts because, well, they were calling for a hurricane today (well, I’m in Halifax, NS, so we don’t get terrible hurricane’s here, but I think everybody and their dog was out stocking up on essentials just in case the power went out). I wasn’t giving a whole lot of thought to inclement weather, I had cookie dough on the brain! And wow, this recipe is fantastic! Yum! I didn’t bother rolling it into balls, I’m just eating it by the spoonful;) I ate a bunch yesterday and just now, while I’m waiting for my coffee to brew (cookie dough for breakfast, now there’s another great concept!) Thank you for posting this tasty recipe, I’ll definitely be making more of this stuff!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 5th, 2014 at 9:04 am

Glad you enjoyed the recipe Rikki and hope you stay safe in that weather! And using a spoon rather than rolling into balls, I can relate :)

• Rikki replied: — July 10th, 2014 at 7:10 am

Just wanted to let you know that I’ve made your recipe two more times! Man, that stuff is delicious (and dangerous)! And no, I didn’t share;)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 11th, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Glad that you did NOT share :)

Jessica — July 11, 2014 at 10:51 am

Can’t wait to make these! Should I use Quick cook oats or regular?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 11th, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I use regular (old-fashioned) but because they’re getting pulverized in a blender anyway, it probably doesn’t matter. Enjoy!

Amy — July 28, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Trying to figure out a way I can make these right now with what I have! Would PB2 work as a sub for the ground cashews?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 28th, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Try it! If it doesn’t work perfectly keep tinkering with the dry ingredients vs. the dates/agave. LMK how it goes!

Loriann — August 14, 2014 at 4:30 pm

These are amazing!! You are a culinary genius. They are a healthy treat that are easy to make. My entire family, even my picky kids, love these. I prefer the taste to “real” chocolate chip dough. Thanks so much for posting this. It is a “go to” recipe for me.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 15th, 2014 at 12:33 am

Glad this is a go-to recipe for you and that everyone in your family loves these! Great to hear!

Kayla — August 25, 2014 at 8:22 am

I just wanted to comment and show a little solidarity with this Pinterest wrong description war you are having to fight. =D My most popular pin from my site is for a 2013 free printable planner. The description that the pinner wrote omitted the year entirely. It says “Amazing free printable planner!”

Every day I get comments, emails, Facebook messages/Comments asking me where to download the free planner. Even though the post the pin links to says 4 times that since 2013 is over, the download doesn’t make sense anymore and was removed.

Sometimes people get worked up over the strangest things. And My goodness I wish pinners could be more accurate in their descriptions!

Kay — September 7, 2014 at 3:45 pm

These are freakin’ awesome! Thank you! SO easy to make and delicious. I’ve already done some variations, like adding peanut butter. I’m thinking raisins & cinnamon will be next!

Franzi — September 14, 2014 at 11:14 am

I made the healthy fudgy brownie bites last week and it was a big mess,cos i only have a very small blender. I had to make it in 4 batches. They were great and the kids in Kindergarten wanted to steal them from me,once they tried them ;) Today i made the cookie dough balls and i love them even more!!( did not think this was possible). And it was way easier. I used cinnamon honey instead of Agave and it turned out sooooo great. This is a great way to satisfy my sweet cravings. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
    Greeting from Berlin/Germany

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 14th, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Glad both the recipes have turned out great for you!

Devin — October 29, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I “pinned” it about a year ago and just re-discovered it. I made these little beauties tonight and am needing an intervention to quit going to the fridge to “get just 1 more”. Delicious!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 30th, 2014 at 1:27 am

Glad you re-discovered the recipe and the just one more thing…oh, you and me both :) Glad you’re enjoying these!!

Emily LeDonne — November 2, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I wanted to make these soooooo bad but only have almonds in the house(not raw). I just went for it and they came out really good! They obviously didn’t blend as smooth as cashews, but they had an awesome crunchy texture. Loved it! I can’t wait to try them with cashews. Thanks so much for this awesome recipe!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 3rd, 2014 at 5:19 am

Glad that the almonds worked for you and now when you get cashews, they’ll taste even better! Glad you worked with what you had and that you’re so pleased with these!

Shannon — December 20, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Would love to make these (or at least some version). We cannot eat any nuts, so was hoping you would have some suggestion for replacing the cashews. Thanks!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — December 20th, 2014 at 11:17 pm

In this particular recipe, it’s a bit tricky because they do play a critical role. You could maybe try with sunflower seeds or another seed you like.