Raw Vegan Chocolate Donut Holes – 5 minute recipe

How’s life treatin’ ya today?  Well, things are good here.  I’ve been a busy beaver whipping up new recipes in the kitch.  But before I share it, I wanna thank everyone who’s been writing in and commenting on my recent posts, like my Chia-Coconut-Mango Overnight Oats and for chiming in about your shopping strategies in the comments.  I agree…good jeans and good shoes are a must.  And so true about the right jeans with the right fit making you feel soooo good!

I reallllllly appreciate you all showing the love and leaving your great comments.  I wanna give everyone a biggggg hugggggg!

Oh and did you notice who won the Vegan Blondie Macaroons?  Congrats chicas, enjoy!!!

So moving onto the chocolate food & recipe action….
Remember when I made the Raw Vegan Donut Holes?

They’ve been getting alot of praise so I thought well everything’s better with chocolate, right?  And so I created Raw Vegan Chocolate Donut Holes and they’re really good, and yep, they’re really only a 5 minute and 3-4 ingredient recipe.  Double bonus!!!

Now, I’m going to tell you in advance that if you like really sweet chocolate treats, then amp up the sweetener in these (i.e. lucama, stevia, more agave, white sugar, brown sugar, roll in powder sugar at the end, whatever floats your sweet boat).  These are more of smooth, dark chocolate kind of vibe.  Sweet, but not like zinnggggg sweet.

Averie’s Raw Vegan Chocolate Donut Holes
1 c flax seeds.  Grind them well.
Add 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (not tech raw) or Agave
Optional: 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil.   Don’t add this if your batter is already very moist.  You’ll end up with sloppy balls.  Never good.  TWSS

Blend to Incorporate.

At this point, I took half the batter out and made 3 cute little Cookies.  That I topped with a fingerswipe of Maple Syrup and a Raz-Cherry from Oh Nuts.  Cute, huh.

Then I took the remaining half of the batter and to it added:
2 Heaping Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup

Dash Vanilla Extract

Blended again

Took the dough out and formed 15 cute little Raw Vegan Chocolate Donut Holes

And if you really wanna get naughy, roll ‘em in powdered sugar.  They’d still be vegan, just not raw.  Or, roll them in Carob or Raw Cocoa Powder.  Or dust with cinnamon.  Limitless possibilities!

I wrapped ‘em in plastic for snacks on the goVoila, done.

So in 5 Minutes I made 3 of these…

…And 15 of these.
 All with 1 c of Flax Seeds.  A little maple syrup, and a little cocoa powder.

Now that’s super silly easy peasy.  Raw (use agave instead of maple if you’re hung-up), vegan, healthy, and fast!  Always good things ’round here.

Oh, and if you’d prefer to skip the 3 little cookies and just go with all chocolate donut holes, I’d suggest:
1 c flax seeds + 2-3 Tbsp Maple Syrup + 1/4 c cocoa powder + dash vanilla + 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil (optional and check batter for consistency before you add it so it’s not too wet).

Things today were brought to you in VeganMofo spirit.

Yoga today is Parsvottanasana (Intense Side Angle Stretch)

And Parivrtta Trikonasana (Revolved Triangle)

Both of these asanas are great for opening up the hips, hamstrings, and lower back. Runners especially, take note.  But everyone is just so gosh darn tight in the hips, hammies, and back, we can all benefit.

Tip of the Day:  Just get started.  I’ve had a few people write to me wondering how they should incorporate yoga into their life.  My basic advice remains the same which is to just get started.  If you have 15 minutes a day, then use that.  If you have access to health club yoga, great!  Go!  If all you can manage is a yoga download or a dvd, then go with that.   If you have a glorious hour to yourself 3 times a week that you can carve some yoga time on your living room floor, great, unroll your yoga mat and start!  Just get started!  Don’t put off til tomorrow what you can do today is some grandmotherly wisdom and I think with yoga, or with any exercise program, getting going is the hardest part and once you get in the groove it becomes second nature and you crave it.  Namaste friends!!!!!

So are you a Vanilla Person or a Chocolate Person?  I do love my banana-vanilla softserve, and I prefer vanilla brown rice protein powder to chocolate…but when I want a cake or a cookie, I usually go for the chocolate.  And of course, munching dark choco squares takes the edge off any kind of moodiness or day-gone-wrong-drama.  So I guess I’m a split personality.  Which do you prefer, Vanilla or Chocolate?  Do Tell!

Next post will have some Product Reviews and a Blogger Meetup recap!

34 Responses to “Raw Vegan Chocolate Donut Holes – 5 minute recipe”

TheFitnessFreak — October 18, 2009 at 3:53 am

Awww, sounds like you had a great time with your sister. I bet your daughter had a fun time with her Auntie : )

I am loving all of these fancy Raw bars that you're getting. I have been eating Pure bars for months and am ready for a change.

As for the friend that isn't worth it. I don't have a hard time saying see ya' to people who are causing more stress in my life than happiness. I had a friend for 4 years that I was close to and I really started to struggle being around her. I finally told her, "Thanks for being my friend but we can't be friends anymore". We never talked again and I was okay with that. It may seem harsh but my family is 100 times more important to me than friends.

Jenn (eating bender) — October 18, 2009 at 4:48 am

So your sis is in Chicago and you're in Arizona? My thoughts are twofold: you need to come visit her so we can meet up and then I need to go visit my family so that we can meet up :o) It's the perfect scenario!

I've been seeing your goodies all over the blogosphere lately and everything looks spectacular! You are very talented. I have to also tell you that your tip of the day really meant a lot to me. It was definitely what I needed to read right now, so thank you!

Happy Sunday!

Cindy — October 18, 2009 at 6:04 am

OH my!
    first…love the pics of you and your sis..and the 3 of you together! connecting with family is the BEST

Kale chips are on my "this week" list. I have been wanting to try them for a bit. Tomorrow I am off to go replenish my produce bins (can you believe I am OUT..I mean OUT of produce!)

so for your girl talk of the day…I have a bag full of these stories …first of all GOOD FOR you for not being a FAKE IT gal! GAWD I used to change and bend so much to be accepted by family and spouse (EX) and friends..
    NO MORE.

YES I have ended relationships (one was a co worker and she was such a controlling bully I couln't take it and when I "reclaimed" power over my own life she went sorta nuts and even went so far as to sabbotage my work (we shared the same job)
    I ended our freindship..had to continue the work one. not long later i was given a great GIFT and put in another dept..as a trial and in 2 weeks was a permanent fixture there. SHEW but it took ms. bully 5 years to get over it.
    NOW we can talk and it's nice and relaxed (but limited becasue she hasn't changed but she finally knows not to "mess with me"
    I have learned to draw lines in the sand and uphold them.

it was the toughest thing to do.
    another one was a former negihbor/friend that I had gentle words with and she just stuck her nose in the air and doesn't acknowledge we exist.

good ridence I say
    FAMILY? there are a few as you know.
    some days its easy and some days it's painful but each time I draw that line and MEAN IT…I feel good.

I am trying to help my Teen learn this lesson NOW and not when he's My AGE

GREAT TOPIC.
    I think a whole BLOG could be devoted to this topic!
    OH geez. Sorry for the novel!!!

I froze my macs today. OH SWEET HEAVEN they are good. (yours are better though)

Have a great Sunday!

Alison — October 18, 2009 at 6:10 am

GASP a glass straw?? I use straws ALL the time and I hate how wasteful it is but I keep using them because I just LOVE using a straw – I totally gotta check those out! Do they break easily?? Easy to clean? OK, I'm sure these questions and more can be answered on the website so off I go once I hit "Publish Your Comment".

I find that friendships that aren't working out just naturally fizzle out. Sometimes I think a friendship has died a natural death with no hard feelings but then we pick up again right where we left off like nothing happened. I definitely try not to burn any bridges though – you just never know where life will take you, right?

Off to inspect your Kale Chip Recipe further – I missed it yesterday!

xoxo babe!

VeggieGirl — October 18, 2009 at 11:26 am

Lovely photo of you and your sister! :)

GF Gidget — October 18, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Your blog is so inspiring! I decided long ago to not waste my time cultivating relationships that were not "worth it". I'm a type A personality. Stress is something I do way too often. I would at least like my relationships to be stress free!
    I understand your relationship with your sister. My sisters and I are extremely close. it's a beautiful thing, isn't it?!

shannonmarie — October 18, 2009 at 12:03 pm

"Chillin' like a Villian" … I used to say that all the time.

Glad to hear you got to spend time with your sister. I'm lucky that one of mine is only 15 minutes away, while the other is about a half an hour from me.

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — October 18, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Averie!! You knew I missed out on all of your deliciousness this week, so you posted a summary! Ha ha! No seriously, thank you for reading my blog and commenting this week while I was on vacation.

Its been awhile since I've "broken up" with a friend. However, I currently work for someone that was one of those people. I feel guilty sometimes for not being her friend any more, but she was probably one of the worst friends I've ever had. Its challenging at times to be working with her again, but at least now I know how to handle myself while around her.

The Voracious Vegan — October 18, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Love this post! Glad you had fun with your sis! It is so cool they loved your kale chips, although, who wouldn't?

I think I need a glass straw like that for myself, so much fun! My smoothie so wants one!

I have had 2 friend 'break ups'. The first one was not really initiated by me, the second one was.

Great tip of the day! I have in the past 2 years parted ways with 2 friends that were bringing me way down. It opens up your life so much for new, amazing people to come in! And it feels SO nice to be living in alignment with who I am, instead of having to bite my tongue and put a fake smile on my face.

shelby — October 18, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Must. Buy. Kale.

And all the other ingredients to make your fabulous, amazing treats!

Tough Cookie — October 18, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Hi! I found your blog through Lauren's blog. I'll be reading! Hello hot body!!!! You look great!

Karen — October 18, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I love the picture of you and your sister! So glad that you were able to have a fun day together. My sister used to live in Chicago, and it was so fun to visit her. Enjoy your Sunday!

Tough Cookie — October 18, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Averie, oh wow, who would know that we have these conditions by looking at us?!?! We all look so healthy and vibrant, and if you don't mind me saying, live life more fully than most "healthy" people! My condition is looking to be of an autoimmune nature (they don't know too much about it right now), but I am on an immune suppressant as of 3 months ago.

The little one is my fiance's, but we help raise her :-)

So glad to meet you! I'll be following!

Maria — October 18, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I can't wait to get my Excalibur so I can try some of these great recipes!

I've ended a friendship recently–the person was always so negative and needy of affirmation, being in her company was an energy drain. I told her that happiness doesn't just come, that you're happy because you decide to be happy. She didn't understand, and I told her that I could do nothing more to help her, and let her know as nicely as I could that for both of our well-being I think we should spend more time apart.

Hard to do, but worth it. I hope she finds her place in the world.

Bekah — October 18, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I had a best friend my sophomore year of high school, and it was definitely my doing when I 'broke up' with her. But it was basically the best thing I ever did for myself, she was a bad influence, and everything else that came in my life after that all fell into place perfectly.

And your peacock pose, holy wow! Forearm balance is one thing I haven't got down yet. But you're rocking it!

Hayley — October 18, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I just wanted to stop by and say hi to one of my favorite raw foodie bloggers (and a very good friend!) I had a moment to hook my laptop up so I'm checking what I can while I can. My mouth is watering right now looking at all your desserts – I can't wait to get home to try out the goodies you sent! I love the pics of you and your sister!

I had a friend I knew in HS and stayed friends with her throughout college. She was one of the few people who stayed in TX during that time and so we'd go out to eat a lot together, see movies, etc. Unfortunately it got to the point where I hated being around her – she did nothing but complain all the time so one day I sent her an email telling her that I didn't want to hang out with her anymore because I felt like I was her therapist every time we went anywhere. I just sat there and listened to her whine the whole time (I didn't tell her that part!) Anyway, she was pissed at me, of course, but I've never regretted telling her that. We kind of keep in touch through FB but I don't feel like it was a great loss.

Good question!

Shannon — October 18, 2009 at 3:55 pm

aah, i've been away too long :) so glad you got some good time with your sister!!

wow, have i had some interesting relationships… me of course giving way too much and expecting the best out of people. sometimes it just doesn't happen :( i was living with a friend in grad school and we were great… until one day she said she was moving out. we never really talked about that i have no idea why she decided it wasn't worth her time anymore. it took me a bit to get over it, blaming myself for whatever i may or may not have done. but then i realized if she was really like that than i was better off!

Jenny — October 18, 2009 at 4:36 pm

aw sisterly lurveeeeeee <3 so many gorgeous blonde bombshells in your fam :)

love the weekly recap – I just tried the donut holes yesterday and felled in LOVE! so crumbly and I love the seeds.. *swoooooon*

in HS I was a major believer in quantity rather than quality – in turn, I had a lot of unfaithful, disloyal friends.. including one who hooked up with my boyfriend (not Gingie, the scumbag before him) Needless to say now I have like .. 2 good friends.. and i'm okay with that because they are amazing and truly care about me and that's all that matters right?

banana bread cake teaser.. bah! the suspense!

love you Av, have a great Sunday :)

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) — October 18, 2009 at 5:05 pm

So glad you had fun with your sister! I love when family comes to visit.

UH loving those raw bars you got.. I get bored with lunas and laras (even though I LOVE em) so its nice to see some other products being reviewed!!

The kale chips look great, thanks for telling me about them. I have seen them made on other blogs before and was kinda turned off because I thought they had mustard on them (HATE mustard) sooo glad to see that they are made with nutritional yeast!!

Thanks Averie.. you're the best! :)

Devan Geselle. N — October 18, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Averie I loved this post.
    I definatly am feeling anxious, antsy, and a tad unhappy.. as I definatly feel like I am trying to please EVERYONE around me.. and not take an ounce of time for myself.
    I adore my career as a makeup artist ( or at least, aspiring career, current profession )
    yet, i get people pushing me to be a model.. i do love modeling.. yet, its definatly not a healthy life style for me.
    I get people telling me I look "perfect". (cringe)
    and I get people telling me to eat more to gain "effing weight"
    (cringe again)
    honestly, I dont know how to look into my own thoughts anymore to figure out what I really want.
    bleh. so frusterating.

sorry for my rant.

where do you get NOOCH from? i adore kale chips!

Anonymous — October 18, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Thank you! You are an amazing friend. I know that the changes that are happening my life are for the best. And it helped so much to read that it is a natural part of growing and become a better person. I am just going to let time heal my heart and know that I will meet new friends that in the long run will be better for me and my family. Thank you so much again… you made my day. XOXO

Glad to see you so happy with your sister.

Rach

Blaine is going to write something to you now:

gn,buowwxdmnjlkoiuty567890-vcfgtreewq

NS — October 18, 2009 at 6:48 pm

i love your blog…your food creation make waters run from my mouth….never ever imagined vegan food can look and taste so good!

Janetha — October 18, 2009 at 8:45 pm

hey doll! just playing catchup from the weekend. that is so awesome your sister came to town! even if it was brief, that is great. love the photo of the 3 of you!

thanks for the how to on the kale chips. i have only tried kale in my green smoothies, but i have seen kale chips all over and wondered how exactly to make them. now i know! yours look better than any i've seen, to tell you the truth. i wonder how they would do in the oven. maybe i will wait to hear the verdict from someone!

OH.. i ate a macaroon and died, went to heaven, came back and decided to tell you about it. you have some serious talent! those things are incredible!!

love your tip of the day. unfortunately i have more people i have had to cut ties with than i can count. but it is for the better in the long run.

look how lucky you have been with all the giveaway lovin!!!

xo!

Mama Pea — October 18, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I absolutely love what you said about friendships and just being who you are. It's taking me a lot of hurt and years to realize that there are people who love me exactly as I am and for being myself. Those that I have to put on fronts for are not worth it. But I don't throw friendship away lightly, and sometimes its not anything we have done, but sometimes its something internal in our friend that they need to work through before they can truly be a friend to me.

ABB — October 19, 2009 at 12:00 am

Oh yeah, my ex housemate turned totally lame when she met her current beau. I wont go into details, but it was awkward because I didn't enjoy her company as a friend but we still had to live together!

I tried to respectfully "disengage", I stopped hanging out with her in social situations, and tried to give myself space.

Well, it backfired. She just accused me of being biatch and thinking I was too good for her and her friends. Eventually I got sick of her assuming she knew why I stopped hanging with her so I had to come clean.

I told her exactly what I thought of her and how she'd changed, which she didn't appreciate. She decided to move out and left me many angry heinous notes accusing me of stealing her things etc.

She basically turned really psycho, but I don't have to deal with it anymore which is good.

I'm not very good at being two faced, if I don't like someone it's very obvious so it's better for me to stop hanging with them instead of being all pretendy fake friend :)

Oh, and thanks for your supportive comment on my blog. It's such a relief not to TRY so hard and to just BE a little with the diet thing :)

Big hugs for your Sunday/Monday

ABB

Erica — October 19, 2009 at 12:41 am

Glad you had fun with the sister- cute pics. All of your desserts look incredible. Especially the apple crumble. Can't wait for the nana bread

Green and Crunchy — October 19, 2009 at 12:57 am

Great shots of you and your sis! The one of you 3 girls is nice — hope you get more visits in together. Lucky you to have a beloved sister!

Thanks for the shout out re: the glass straws giveaway — your bendy straws are awesome! So glad you're happy with your win! Looks like you've been on a bit of a winning streak lately, you lucky thing :)

Your desserts look scrumptious and if you put out an e-book, I'll happily buy one. Pretty please include your macaroons recipe in it :)

Thinspired — October 20, 2009 at 8:40 am

Love the sister pics :) I know what it's like to be away from family and it sucks :( I'm glad you got some good time together.

I've heard so much about your donut holes lately–I hear they are delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

Kristin — October 29, 2013 at 11:24 am

I love this recipe…and ALL of your other “donut hole” recipes! Is there anything I can substitute for the flax seeds? Perhaps sunflower seeds, almonds, or cashews? I don’t have any flax seeds on hand!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 29th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

This is a really old recipe – 4+ yrs! So while I havent tried it with sunflower seeds or almonds, they would probably work. Cashews are always a safe bet in raw/unbaking! LMK what you end up doing!