Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bread (Gluten/Soy-Free)

Happy Monday Morning to you!  How was the weekend?  What all went down?  I had a really great day Saturday because my sister came to Phoenix for a one-day visit.  It was soooo awesome to hang out with her and I posted some cute pictures of us, too.

Sunday I went to a Pumpkin Patch with my hubs and Skylar.  She loved the horses, pumpkins, and the hay ride.  It was 102 F so we only lasted about an hour, but here’s a few pics from our day.

I love this one because her eyes are the color of the beads on the turquoise necklace she’s holding

And if you missed My Highlights of the Week post where I recapped some raw vegan desserts from the past week, check that out, too!

Moving onto the Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bread…
Recently, I had seen Janetha make a great banana bread based on Veggie Girl’s Recipe and it got my thinking about making a banana bread or cake of my own.  I scoured the internet for various vegan, gluten, and soy free recipes that didn’t add any additional oil or margarine and really wasn’t finding what I wanted so finally decided just to create my own.  Necessity is the mother of invention, right?

[print_this]

Peanut Butter Banana Bread (Or Banana Cake)
3/4 c Oats (that I ground into oat flour)

1 c Almond Flour (or 1 c almonds that you grind)

3 Large Ripe Bananas (Optional: reserve approx 8 little slices for garnishing your loaf or cake)

1 Peeled & Cored Apple (Med to Large)

1 cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 cup White Sugar

1/2 cup Brown Sugar

1 Tbsp Blackstrap Molasses

1 Tsp Baking Soda

1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

[/print_this]

Everything went into my Blendtec

And I tried to blend all those ingredients together.

But Technical Difficulties Stuck Big Time with the Blendtec.  It wasn’t able to mix the ingredients.  I tried self-mashing the already super soft bananas with a wooden spoon to try to give it some help.  But I guess this wasn’t the right machine for this recipe.

I do like the openness of the Blendtec’s canister for easy food removal, but for this recipe,  I was in need of a tamper stick like the Vitahas.

So I put the Blendtecto rest…

…And transferred the entire mixture into the Vita-Mix.  You can imagine that this transfer and the extra cleanup really generated some choice words from my mouth.  I’ll let you use your imagination.

Now in business with the Vita, I blended the whole thing in 20 seconds flat…

…And the mixture was looking and tasting (finger-licking) good!

But, then I added 1 c (1 generous cup!) of Peanut Butter.  Which just upped the delish factor.

Blended Again

Poured the mixture into a bread pan (9 x 5) **see caveat below.  Garnished with a few banana slices (that I reserved from the 3 large bananas as noted in the recipe).   And baked at 325 F in a Convection Oven for 1 hour.

After an hour, I took it out and let the loaf cool.

During that hour, I wanted to reach into my oven and devour the whole thing because between the bananas, the vanilla extract, and the peanut butter, it smelled beyond amazing in my house!

Here’s an up close shot of the finished product.  Can you see the ridic amount of moistness this bread has??

Or try this one on for size

For me, a dessert is not worth eating if it’s dry!  I am really pleased with the moistness of this bread which really ended up being more like a banana cake.  If you like really ooey-gooey desserts and are a fan of underbaked treats because you love the moistness, then look no further than this recipe!  Plus, it’s not overwhelmingly peanut buttery which for some people, is a good thing.  If you want it overwhelmingly PB’ish, then just add more PB!

One critique I will give myself is this…the loaf was on the verge of getting too brown on the outside before it was cooking through completely on the inside.  If you’re a fan of slightly underbaked treats, no worries, make it in the loaf pan, you’ll be in heaven.

**Caveat: But, I think for optimal results because of the density and richness of the batter (3 bananas, 1 c of PB, and 1 c of almond meal will do that to a recipe!), use a 9 x 13 pan and bake at 325F for approx 40 minutes, but start checking it at 30 and you may have to go til 50 minutes depending on your oven and how well-done you like your breads or cakes.

What’s your favorite cake or bread?  I have to say growing up, mine was banana bread.  But going gluten/soy-free and vegan puts a damper on most traditional recipes, banana bread included.  So I created my own!   So tell me all about what makes you say yuuummm!  I may just veganize and raw-ify it on the blog!

Stay tuned for 4 ingredient (and 45 second) homemade hummus…..

60 Responses to “Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bread (Gluten/Soy-Free)”

Alison — October 24, 2009 at 3:17 am

Look at me ahead of the game already commenting on Saturday's mornings post! And I'm FIRST!

OMG no word verification YES YES YES!

Hmmm, I can't think of anything different I have on the weekends that I don't have during the week. I do feel like the weekends are little more lax though – I think that's just ingrained us from an early age!

I meant to say thanks too for your email response to my Ashtanga questions – thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction. I'm on it.

glidingcalm — October 24, 2009 at 4:46 am

oh my gosh!! you have had my mouth watering with all of these posts with banana baked goods. Banana bread is one of my all time TOP favorite foods. I actually haven't made it in wayy too long- probably because I can't have it around….no self control!!

I love that yoga pose- it's called a teaser in Pilates, and it's one of my favorite exercises!!

those dehydrated toms look soo yummy as well!

Someday I'll spend the cash to get me a dehydrator!!

HAVE SO MUCH FUN TODAYYYYYY!

And I agree with Alison- word verification IS THE WORST. So frustrating!!

J — October 24, 2009 at 6:13 am

I eat the same foods on the weekend that I eat during the weekdays. If I actually went out that may be different. But, I spend weekend nights in with my family or at school in the lab :)

The Voracious Vegan — October 24, 2009 at 6:25 am

I love that you turned the banana bread into banana bread cake, it is a really stunning dessert topped with those pretty slices. Awww have fun on your family run and the block party, that is going to be a lot of fun!

And YUM for the homemade sundried tomatoes, I can't wait to make my own!

Maggie — October 24, 2009 at 6:51 am

Guess I'm ahead of the game :P

Could your pb/banana cake BE any more sexy??

Can't wait until someday I have a dehydrator. Yum.

Amanda — October 24, 2009 at 9:02 am

Wow, do you do Yoga everyday?
    You look so helathy and great :)

Amanda

Natalia — October 24, 2009 at 9:21 am

I would LOVE to beeotch about how UNSUNNY 'sunny' Perth Australia is right now!! In the middle of 'Spring'! Is it sunny all year round in Arizona?
    Kudos to the amazing yoga body ;)
    How anyone can dog out a vegan/raw diet when someone that follows it is as athletically capable as you, is beyond me!
    xx

Beth — October 24, 2009 at 10:55 am

OMG, so making that banana bread cake this weekend! And the snowballs.

I tend to bake and cook a lot more on the weekends. During the week I don't have the time. Really though, the weekends are just totally laid back, no pressure. Love that.

I love that you share so many great recipes. Now I just need an Excalibur…

VeggieGirl — October 24, 2009 at 11:09 am

Lovin' all the goodies and the boat pose! Another favorite :)

Hope the run was fun (oh look, I can rhyme…)

Jessica @ How Sweet — October 24, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Girl! Could you possibly have ANY foods on here that I don't want to eat?!? They are look divine. I considered switching to vegetarian a few months ago, but never made the full switch. With your goodies I feel like I could do it.

Allie (Protein Girl) — October 24, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Averie, you're both HOT and RAW!

Lindsey @ Sound Eats — October 24, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Wow, that peanut butter banana cake looks delicious and just made my stomach growl!!!

I saw your comment about the pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies – I've made it a goal to upload the recipe today and you will be the first to know when I do!! :) xoxo!

shelby — October 24, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Seriously Averie…these desserts are making me crazy! So good!!!

Horray for NO word verification!!!

sheri (Green and Crunchy) — October 24, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Dear Averie,

Please slow down with all the awesome recipes you have been blogging about. Me and my kitchen can't keep up with all the vegan goodness!

xo
    Sheri from Green & Crunchy

Angel (Shanghai Monkey) — October 24, 2009 at 2:03 pm

OMG I'm glad you asked. Thanks for the opportunity to vent! A man I know (who is by no means vegetarian or vegan) told me he is planning a vegan raw food workshop aimed at helping diabetics. Considering he just discovered raw food a few days ago and doesn't even believe in this way of life, I think he is not qualified to teach this class and (quite frankly) is a hypocrite. I'm angry at him and worried about the potential attendees at the workshop who might get incorrect info on raw food.

Whew! Thanks, it feels better to get it off my chest. This is the best blog ever :D

Jenny — October 24, 2009 at 3:36 pm

haha seriously, the word verification will make or break if i leave a comment on someones blog — such a hassle!

those sun dried tomatos are fabbbbbbie! one of my favorite sandwich toppers but I can't seem to find any that don't come packed in oil. No me gusta :(

don't even get me started on that bread… hot damn!

have a great run with your lovies :) tres cute!!

happy happy weekend, Averie! love you!

Kris — October 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm

YUM! This looks amazing! I will be picking up more ninners later today! Have you tried baking this cake with Agave instead of sugar? I will have to experiment!
    Thank you again for another great recipe ;)

healthhappinesshope — October 24, 2009 at 5:11 pm

That's so sweet about the family run! Enjoy it!

I hear you on the nanners! There have been a few times when my grocery store has been out of them, and I basically go into a panic mode haha. So many of my meals and recipes, especially my breakfasts, have bananas in them!

LOVE boat pose! It is such an amazing ab workout!

xxoo
    Heather

Hayley — October 24, 2009 at 6:35 pm

I must have missed something in an earlier post (or I've gotten behind again!) because I didn't see the question about blogging preferences. I'm with the others though – WOOHOO for no word verification! I don't really ever have probs with blogspot, but when I leave comments on WordPress blogs I always have to hit the "submit" button a few times before it actually goes.

Ok I hope you are working on that recipe book..you are unbelievably talented Averie!

I guess I'd have to say I drink an occasional diet coke (the HORROR!) on the weekend or if I go out to dinner. I know, very bad but it could be worse right?

N.D. — October 24, 2009 at 6:43 pm

I made it – as a cake. It was soo good!!!

littlemissminny — October 24, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I love banana bread! The ingredients of this recipe look great, so I'll make sure to try and make my own

peanutbutterbliss — October 24, 2009 at 7:17 pm

i am ALL over that peanut butter banana bread cake :) hello deliciousness in a pan.

*Naomi* — October 24, 2009 at 7:56 pm

ohh what a good Q about the drinks onthe weekends! I sometimes like to get a lattee or cappucino on the weekends as a treat and not to much ever get the during the week. I tend to not want all the extra calories from the milk, but on the weekends I allow myself to get one!!

the recipe looks FANTASTIC!!

N.D. — October 24, 2009 at 8:21 pm

thanks for your comment! I made it late after the baby was in bed and just cut and ate it!! I added pumpkin in it with the bananas. It tastes like peanut butter cake! It didn't rise nicely and doesn't look as good as yours but I will take a picture next time. I just want a taste too – but then what do you do with the rest of it!!?? I am very active but need more control and to realize alot of what I try is extra/dessert!

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) — October 24, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Happy Saturday Ms Averie!!! Lovin the cake.. not only does it looks super pretty with the banana slices on top but it sounds relatively easy to make!

I really don't "splurge" on weekends.. in fact, no I def dont. lol Im pretty consistent in what I eat. We usually eat out once on a weekend but thats the only change! I tend to cook a "linner" early din/late lunch on Saturdays and Sundays which is nice.. not something I can do on a weekday.

SOO interesting that you are looking into homeschooling your beautiful daughter. I totally give you credit. I think the educational freedom you have with that is wonderful ALSO its a great way to form a stronger relationship with one another. I support ya… but yeah, teaching can be tough.. I love the kids but to be honest it's a ton of paperwork AND dealing with parents can totally suck at times.

;)Enjoy your weekend.

Pure2Raw Twins — October 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Banana bread looks super yummy. Going along with your post yesterday in what you like in a blog. I agree with majority of what others said. That each blog is different, with that person or persons :) personality shining through. I enjoy blogs that are fun, honest, provide good information and easy to follow. And good food of course. I like to read many different "styles" of blogs that way I can variety!

Living and Loving in L.A. — October 24, 2009 at 11:57 pm

OH. M. GEE.
    I just made your Chocolate Coconut Snowballs, like I said I was going to, and I have to say I'm officially in love with you! But this is also great news because it means now I'm 2 for 2 with your recipes and from now on I'll just have to make more, because clearly, they are all DELISH!
    And you are welcome for the award! I love how inspiring and amazing you and your blog are.
    Hope you're having a great weekend, Averie!
    XO,
    Erin

ohonemorething — October 25, 2009 at 1:20 am

Running with the family! I ran with a friend yesterday and it was so nice! Lol I'm glad you weren't planning on making any changes to your blog ;)

Oof that banana bread cake looks sooo delicious!

Hmm.. does extra sleep count as smething? lol

Lauren — October 25, 2009 at 3:01 am

Between you and VeggieGirl, you both always make me wanna bake, and I am not a baker…AT ALL! Notice, no yummy baked goods on my blog, ever!! I usually buy my desserts, very un-Martha like of me! Or shall I say, un-Averie like! :)

Anne — October 26, 2009 at 2:28 am

ahahaha, I'm totally with you on the word verification thing. It annoys me so much! Your banana bread cake looks amazing. I just love moist (haha I don't like that word either) and gooey baked goods. Have a lovely night!

TheFitnessFreak — October 26, 2009 at 4:08 am

I go through stages of eating a certain food excessively. Right now that would be kale chips but I did go through a banana stage recently too. Maybe it's in the air : )

My weekend indulgence? An iced organic chai tea from Starbucks. I get it unsweetened and add my own agave, yum!

I need to try some of the kale chip goodness on tomatoes and other veggies. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks for popping over to my blog!!

beadmobile — November 2, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Hi! I made this (vegan pb banana bread cake) & the raw cocoa snowballs over the weekend & everything turned out wonderful! The cake is so rich! I almost didn't make it because almond flour was so expensive & I was hesitant to grind almonds (I had an immersion blender that did the trick though!). The snowballs are so good that even my meat-eating husband enjoyed them! I will have to keep a stash in the freezer for a healthy fudge fix! Thank you.
    Amy

Neven — October 26, 2010 at 3:41 am

That cake looks really, really good. Bananas and peanut butter are like heaven.

Heather — January 28, 2011 at 6:57 am

hi averie! do you think peanut flour would work for this instead of almond meal? i’m not really sure about the difference (other than the nut itself, obviously!)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 12:03 pm

you could try it…peanut flour is a different texture than almond flour and will absorb more liquid so if you try it, use somewhat less….good luck…

Adele — January 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm

hey, i am super excited i found this site- i am super concious about everything i eat- battling the tummy for my entire life and have ben diagnosed as Gluten/dairy intolerant. all your ideas look so delicious and wont hurt my scale too much-
    i love to bake- i have my own mix of flours that i use for my receipes- i am interested in the pb bannana vegan soy/gluten free bread/cake you made and was wondering what your thoughts were if i used a differnet flour than the almond flour- i have brown rice(my staple), chick pea, oat, coconut, and white sorghum flour…. your thoughts on what would be the best substitute per equal measurements?

Adele

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 24th, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I am not really an expert on substitutions with specialty flours; my suggestion is to try it, get something that resembles banana bread batter, bake it til it’s done…taste test. And make changes as you deem fit. It’s so hard any other way with all the unique flours out there.

Stacie — March 20, 2012 at 10:29 am

I know this is a really old post but I just found it and have recently bought a Blendtec blender. Decided to give it a go today (I’m in the testing phase of my blender to see what all it can do) and I had no trouble mixing it all up in the blender (so you might want to give it another try…I didn’t have to shake, jiggle, tamper or anything) ….it is baking as I type and hopefully the in-laws like it for dessert after dinner tonight! Thanks for the recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 20th, 2012 at 10:37 am

Good to know you didn’t have trouble AND that you made the recipe! This is one of my faves; it’s a very old post you’re right, but the recipe works :)

• Marianna replied: — April 9th, 2012 at 9:54 am

Hi Averie!

Just discovered your blog today while googling chia seed recipes :)

I am planning to buy my very first super-blender and am trying to choose between Vita-Mix and Blendec. So what is your conclusion after all? From this post it sounds like you prefer Vita-Mix, but maybe you’ve had other experiences since then….

Will try some of your recipes soon!

Have a great day,
        Marianna

Stacie — March 20, 2012 at 1:21 pm

It sure does work…just tasted and they are gooey and delish!! Even took a few to the postmaster! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 20th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I bet you made the postmaster’s day. That is so sweet of you!

Marianne — April 26, 2012 at 6:54 am

I don’t have a vitamix, so I used my blendtec to blend the banana, apples, and peanut butter. Then I did the rest by hand. I also had to add about 2 TBS of water to the blendtec. I blended the banana and water first then added the apples and peanut butter. Thought I’d leave this comment incase someone else doesn’t have a vitamix as well. By the way Averie I found your blog a little over a week ago through a recipe someone posted on pintrest, and now I’ve been here EVERYDAY! I swear we have the same taste buds. I love everything I’ve made so far.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 26th, 2012 at 7:19 am

Thanks for finding me from Pinterest and trying out recipes (more than one it sounds like) and glad you enjoy them!

And yes, with regard to this bread, of course anyone can make it, with or without a high speed blender. You could mash it all by hand, with a small handheld mixer, with a blender, food processor, really, there is no “wrong” way. Of course you don’t “need” a Vitamix in order to make this for anyone reading without one! Thanks for your info on what you did to make it work for you and for reading!

Connie — September 13, 2012 at 9:14 am

I made your Peanut Sauce last night and it was wonderful.
    Another suggestion if you don’t like under baked goodies is to bake it in a bundt pan.
    I will have to try this recipe this weekend.

Mk — October 11, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I have just recently started following your blog. I am in LOVE with your recipes. I am a HUGE white chocolate peanut butter butterscotch brownie blondie truffle cookie fan! I am drooling just from the pictures! I was wondering if you have ever made any lemon bars before? I know I am a new follower, but I’d love to place a request for some lemon bars! OR peanut butter brownies with vanilla frosting maybe?!

You’re awesome!

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — February 4, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I love it. It looks so moist and almost fudgy! YUM must try!

admattai — July 20, 2014 at 12:29 pm

this recipe is so good and it was so moist! i love how healthy it is.

i made the following changes:

I used dark chocolate pb

added 1/4 cup white sugar instead of a 1/2 cup