Vegan Creme de Menthe Bars-No Bake/Gluten & Soy-Free

But, now that fall has passed us by, nothing screams Winter Holidays to me like Peppermint or Minty Flavored Desserts.  And there’s no better way to enjoy mint than with chocolate.  You agree, right?

Growing up I loved my moms’ Creme de Menthe Bars but since I am a gluten & soy-free vegan, and the traditional recipe is very heavy on dairy, eggs, and crumb-cookie crusts, I had some major tweaking to do.  But I succeed and present you with:

Averie’s Vegan Creme de Menthe Bars-No Bake/Gluten & Soy-Free
This is a 3 Layered Bar: The Chocolate Base/Crust, the White Minty Buttercream-Inspired Middle Layer, and the Chocolate Mint Top Layer.
It is definitely like Thin Mints meets Buttercream Frosting meets Dipped in a Minty Chocolate Bath.  And the whole thing is done in less than 20 minutes.

Base/Crust
1/4 c Earth Balance-Soy Free Buttery Spread (or your preferred butter/margarine).  Melt the Butter.

Then add:
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 c almond meal
1/4 c ground oats/oat flour (note: you can just use 1/2 c almond meal OR whatever combo & type of flour you prefer, i.e. cashew, oat, rice, almond, wheat, etc.)
1/4 c powdered sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Optional: 2 Tbsp Agave

Stir everything together.  Pour into your container & flatten.

You may have some leftover crust mixture, about 1/4 c worth.  Or just make a thicker crust.  Yummy stuff.

Set in the freezer while you make the middle layer.

Middle Layer
1/4 c of Buttery Spread.   Melt it.

Then add:
1.5 c powdered sugar (I said it’s vegan, not low cal)
Scant 1/4 c Creme de Menthe (If you don’t have access to Creme de Menthe, use Peppermint Extract and start with 1 Tbsp, adding slowly and carefully until just slightly minty or to taste)
Optional: Green Food coloring to make it look minty.  Or a shot of green juice.

Whip Until Blended, Creamy, & Fluffy.  (This is basically Buttercream Frosting.  Tip of the Day: Vegan Buttercream frosting is 1 part buttery spread to 3 parts powdered sugar, dash of vanilla extract, blend, devour.)

Pour this mixture over the crust forming the middle layer.

Put in fridge/freezerwhile you make the Top Layer

Side View of Crust + Middle

Top Layer
1/4 c Buttery Spread.  Melt it.

Add 1/2 c Chocolate Chips (I used the Chocolate and Mint Holiday Edition chips, not technically vegan.  But you could use Baker’s Chocolate, or Cocoa Powder, Agave, Coconut Oil, with an optional Peppermint Extract to keep the top layer truly vegan)
1/4 c powdered sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Add all the ingredients to the melted buttery spread and whisk until combined

Retrieve Crust + Middle Layer from Freezer, and Pour the Chocolate Top Layer over it

Place back into Freezer to Cool & Set Up

Can anyone say Crust + Middle + Top = Vegan Oreo Mint Cookie Adaptation?

After the Creme de Menthe Bars have set up, retrieve them from the freezer and Devour with Wild Abandon.

These are the adult-themed version of Girl Scout Cookie Thin Mints meet Minty Buttercream Frosting meet Chocolate Decadence.

You’ve got a crunchy chocolaty minty base layer, with a fluffy minty frosting-like center, with Chocolate on the Top.

They are soooo good.  Sooo rich.

You really only need a tiny piece to feel satisfied…

….Or a big square to feel stuffed.

I included lots of photos for a step-by-step Creme de Menthe making tutorial and it looks like alot, but the whole recipe only takes about 20 minutes of active kitchen time and the rest if just waiting for set-up in the freezer.

Enjoy!

Have you ever tried Creme de Menthe Bars?

89 Responses to “Vegan Creme de Menthe Bars-No Bake/Gluten & Soy-Free”

kceatingontherun — December 3, 2009 at 1:03 am

The full moon stuff is so interesting! Yum pudding I haven't had any in forever! Wow that is pretty cool about the yoga hours! I am just getting into yoga and I LOVE it. I feel it has improved my running more then anything!

Jessica — December 3, 2009 at 1:10 am

Yay! I am so happy for you that you are pursuing the higher yoga cert. It really seems to be where your passion lies. I love people who have PASSION!! :)

I really need to get some darn chia seeds. I still haven't bought any. I want some so bad!

Abbys Vegan Eats — December 3, 2009 at 1:27 am

OMG Averie.. I think this is actually a pose I can do!! lol I actually do that stretch every morn.. feels great!

Thanks for the chia recipe (As you know I got 3 lbs in my freezer!) :) :)

Im so happy that you are following your passion.. what a wonderful sense of accomplishment (and drive) you must have.

Food Makes Fun Fuel — December 3, 2009 at 1:32 am

You really are a jack of all trades!
    I think you've gotten me on a peppermint thing, because I had to pick up a chocolate peppermint Luna today even though I generally dislike Lunas. I'll be sure to be using some peppermint extract when I go home next time for baking(or probably anise but the flavors are so similar to me).

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 3, 2009 at 1:49 am

The peppermint chia seed pudding looks so much like tapocia! YUM!

K from ksgoodeats — December 3, 2009 at 2:03 am

You are going to make a fantastic yoga teacher! Can't you move to MI, even if it's just once a week, and be my yoga instructor?! Please?! ;)

I think everyone should be life long learners but that could be the teacher in me. Good luck with everything!

VeggieGirl — December 3, 2009 at 2:03 am

Soooo fabulous about your yoga teacher certification!!!

And hooray for yet another pose that I do quite often :)

Susan — December 3, 2009 at 2:26 am

I totally think there's something to this full moon business. My mom used to work in the psychiatric ward at the hospital and she said her patients would completely change during the full moon.

And YAY for movin' on up in yoga!!!! I can totally see how that would be the next logical step for you. And like you inferred, life is long and you'll always have a chance to do the PT thing. I totally want to go to one of your classes :)

healthhappinesshope — December 3, 2009 at 2:28 am

I am SO excited for you about becoming certified at the 500 level! Being that yoga has become such a large and wonderful part of your life, it only makes sense. :) Haha, you remind me so much of myself… I always need to have my brain moving and need a little bit of everything in my life. I honestly have considered Real Estate myself at one point! Good to know I'm not alone in my drive for knowledge!

xxoo
    Heather

Chocolate-Covered Katie — December 3, 2009 at 2:32 am

Averie m’dear! How do you do it? Seriously, how? Do you dream up these creations as you sleep, my genius friend?

Kelly Michelle — December 3, 2009 at 2:50 am

I don't know if you are still rocking the banana softserve but today I added cocoa powder and almond extract with a teeny squirt of agave to the pure bananas and it was so good I had to tell someone!!

Molly — December 3, 2009 at 2:54 am

I have got to get some chia seeds! I bet that pudding would be great with some cocoa!

Katie — December 3, 2009 at 3:09 am

I just love your desserts that you make! I am transitioning into a high raw (eventually fully raw someday) vegan diet from a vegan diet. I can't wait to start feeling great and hopefully my digestive problems will clear up.

But, I see that you like to experiment with different raw desserts, so I was wondering if you would like to take on the task of inventing a raw vegan carrot cake? Wouldn't that be awesome!? I just love carrot cake and would be delighted if there was an easy-to-make vegan version. :)

ktbwood — December 3, 2009 at 3:11 am

can i just tell you that you are SO freakin cool? yoga, baking, dishwasher detergent!! you are the WHOLE package missy!!

Jessie (vegan-minded) — December 3, 2009 at 3:15 am

First of all, I am still drooling over those creme de menthe bars. Second of all, I NEED to get some chia seeds to make your pudding recipe!

As for those yoga pose, I can actually do that one! When I first started to do yoga I could barely touch my toes, now I can grab onto the bottoms of my feet a little. I hope to be able to be as flexible as you one day!

shelby — December 3, 2009 at 3:27 am

Peppymint chia pudding?! Yesss. :)

Angel — December 3, 2009 at 3:28 am

'Tis the season of yoga teacher training. I've decided to do the 200 hour training in January.

And yum to the peppermint chia, the perfect simple dessert for such a crazy full moon night ^_^

Carbzilla — December 3, 2009 at 3:34 am

I'm so excited for you! And so glad that some of your other "work" will also count. It should!

I, too, am a lifelong learner which is why I'm starting the Sustainable Business program in Jan. Working a full-time job (at my pay) really isn't enough, and I know I can do more. I'm not sure my husband always understands my need for more…when he's had a full day of plenty, enough, or as much as he can handle. That's our lesson to learn right now!

Can't wait to hear more about your training!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) — December 3, 2009 at 3:53 am

I need to be better about making my own green cleaning agents- vinegar, baking soda, etc. Must get on that.

Cindy — December 3, 2009 at 4:04 am

I am so happy you are adding more to your full list of amazing credentials. Moving forward in your yoga practice is wonderful! I am glad all that you have done will also count. It seems you are really getting settled in not only your new home but community.

holiday Peppermint Chia Pudding …MMMMM

I am thinking gingerbread cookies are on the agenda soon….got any raw vegan versions of THAT PUPPY?

hugs to ya my friend!

Hayley — December 3, 2009 at 4:11 am

Averie that is fantastic about pursuing the next level (the highest level!!) of yoga certifications!! I have no doubt you'll pass with flying colors – the profession is lucky to have someone like you. I can't wait to hear more about it!

I didn't get to read your other post about the effects of the full moon so I'm headed that way now…

Your Chia Seed Peppermint pudding looks amazing, as usual! You are so creative in the kitchen. :)

Bekah — December 3, 2009 at 4:23 am

Yayy I'm so glad you got it, and it survived that nasty trek from Tucson to Phoenix. ;)

Thanks for the shout out as well.

As for chia pudding- I need to make this again and let it marinate in the fridge for longer. The 30 mins I did last time did not do the chia seeds justice!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl — December 3, 2009 at 4:25 am

Your recipes only keep getting better and better, girl! Woo hoo! That peppermint chia pudding sounds YUM! I'm out of chia seeds but I'll be gobbling up some chia pudding as soon as I stock back up! LOL

And the moon stuff you talked about was neat, too. It's craziness, but true! :-D

Congrats on your training endeavors. SO cool!

And thank you for your sweet, encouraging words on my food thoughts post. I appreciate it. You're the bestest!!!

Hugs,
    Michele

greensandjeans — December 3, 2009 at 4:56 am

I can't wait to hear all about this new adventure tomorrow! See you at 11!

Devan Geselle. N — December 3, 2009 at 5:04 am

how weird is it that I have definatly not been focused, or sleeping, since the full moon.
    ugh! so weird!
    im thinking chocolate orange chia pudding would be insane in the membrane. I may conjur some up.. just wait, just wait ;)

i need to get back into some more yoga. oh , it would be so delightful to be part of one of your classes!!!

ohonemorething — December 3, 2009 at 5:46 am

I have almost caught up with your posts! It was a crazy couple of days over in my corner of the world.

Congrats on pursuing the 500 hr yoga certification! That's incredible – heck you are incredible! Being a life long learner, I believe, leads to a life filled with more happiness. The second someone thinks they know it all.. they've lost it all. Life is a journey and why not get as much out of it as possible? Great people are well-rounded :)

p.s. thanks for the stretching tip ;)

Kris | iheartwellness.com — December 3, 2009 at 7:08 am

Haha, girl…..remember the other day when we were making chia pudding at the same time??? I did some today also – with peppermint!!!! It's in my post coming up!! Too funny.
    Thanks for the great comment, I will incorporate more of my life coach experiences I think it is important! Thanks!

Always a pleasure love, have a great thursday!

*Naomi* — December 3, 2009 at 10:46 am

i am running low on my chia seeds! where do you order yours? i need to get more ASAP! i cant go a day with them in my oats!! love the idea of peppermint chia pudding, so festive and delicious. you are so right about the peppermint extract! i once used a tiny bit in my water to give it some flavor and the pepperminty taste would NOT leave my bottle for dayssss BUT it tasted so great!

cognrats on the yoga cert! that is so amazing, and so right up your alley, i think this is a great idea to persure the yoga cert, rather then rush into the PT certification..that will always be there and you can always get that in the future!

xo

Erica — December 3, 2009 at 11:22 am

Hey girl :) Can I just tell you- I love reading your comments. You are so so so sweet! I get my artichokes packed in water and they are low sodium. They're some random random brand! Then I just toss them in a hint of olive oil and spices. Perfection!

I think its fabulous that you're going for the next level of yoga cert! You must do what you love!

LOVE LOVE the green cleaning tips. I use a lot of these. I am trying to get as many of the fake cleaning products out of my house as possible. I use soap and water only in the kitchen, soap, lemon, water on my tile floors and vinegar and water on my wood floors. Makes me happy :) And smells fantastic

Paige@ RunningaroundNormal — December 3, 2009 at 11:52 am

No wonder I couldn't sleep last night. Damn full moon!!! hehe
    That's great you're going to get the 500 hr certification!! Good for you for sitting on the idea and weighing it out, and finally deciding what works for YOU :)
    I need to get me some chia seeds in my life, because between you and the fitnessista, you're making chia pudding look goo-oood!

HippieMom — December 3, 2009 at 11:56 am

Wow! "Diviny" wish you were my yoga teacher;-)
    XoXo

Kimberly — December 3, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Way to go on the next level up in Yoga:) I am a life long learner too. I would love to go back to school, but with three kids to put through, that is going to have to wait!

Nance — December 3, 2009 at 12:55 pm

So pleased you're moving on with yoga! Thanks for the cleaning recipe. Love to you and your family this season.

serenaswam — December 3, 2009 at 1:46 pm

YUM! That chia pudding looks so tasty.
    I made your chocolate chia recipe but subbed in carob instead (so I used less agave because carob is naturally sweet) and put in rose water for a flowery, fragrant taste. It was fabulous (though I put in a bit too much rose water, my mom gobbled it up…she loves the stuff).
    anyway I will have to try the latest :)

Julie — December 3, 2009 at 2:47 pm

on my christmas list:

CHIA SEEDS!! bc i have a feeling this new pudding would taste like york peppermint patties :) me loves!

maca! bc i think it would be delish on popcorn haha (do you know anything about it?)

a dehyyyydratorrrrrr!!! i praaay :)

have you thought about a pilates certification? that might go well with yoga?

TheFitnessFreak — December 3, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Yummy, fabulous recipes as always : ) Looking at those Creme de Menthe bars makes me hungry every time!

The chis seed pudding looks interesting and I keep meaning to try it. I'm sure it would be better than the plain sludge I drink down : )

Good ideas for washing solution. I must try them! Mostly because I'm cheap and would love to save money but with the added bonus of not using chemicals excessively. I currently use Costco's environmentally safe laundry detergent. I LOVE the smell :)

Nicole

chrystad72 — December 3, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Yummy! I love peppermint, esp around the holidays. It always reminds me of Christmas for some reason. Nice and refreshing. Great idea!

The detergent is awesome. Ive been trying to buy more natural products but even better to make your own! Thanks for that recipe.
    That stretch seems so great. I sit at a computer all day at work so anything that helps my lower back is fantastic!! Do you have any suggestions for some good positions for cyclists?
    Congrats on the Yoga certification!! Wow! Thats sounds amazing and you are so talented! You are going to be awesome!!
    Have a wonderful day!

Girl on Raw — December 3, 2009 at 7:04 pm

OMG what a fantastic post. From the Chia seed pudding (mint is my fave flavour) to the news of your Yoga stuff, that is fan bloody tastic Averie. You will do great.

You know what is really nice on dehydrated bananas? Lime juice…really delish…or coconut :)

RunToTheFinish — December 3, 2009 at 9:02 pm

ch-ch-chia ahh still makes me think of chia pets, but seriously such good stuff!! i love adding it to all kinds of things now

Shannon — December 3, 2009 at 10:04 pm

those creme de menthe bars look absolutely to-die for!!! and i just realized i have peppermint extract, so i just did a happy dance :)

Cindy — December 5, 2009 at 1:04 am

okay…I keep meaning to make your Kale Chip coating…this weekend is it! I actually have everything.

I LOVE Kale chips. MMMMMMMM

Tamikko — December 5, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I really want to try the Vega bars, so thank you so much for your review. I've only tried the Smoothie powder and I really am used to the taste now and really like it.

babyvanilla — December 6, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Mmm I would love to try the Whole food energy bar! I love berries and the chocolate one was good, so I,m sure it won't dissapoint!

Michal — December 6, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Holy yum! Peppermint chia pudding = one amazing holiday treat I just got done eating a big ol bowl full :) thanks for sharing such a great recipe.

J. Schnaak — December 8, 2009 at 1:49 am

Averie-

I have just recently gotten my family into chia puddings, thanks to you! We've made the vanilla chia pudding, and I'm considering making a holiday spice/soy nog inspired one in the coming weeks. :)

Thanks for the delicious ideas you've given me to share with my family while I'm home from college for the holidays!

Gena — December 23, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Great minds think alike, Averie! This is beautiful.

Katie — January 13, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I love chia seeds and your dessert recipes! :) This is for the giveaway!

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl — January 13, 2010 at 10:20 pm

You're recipes are all so fantabulous! I never tried the peppermint version. I'll have to do that! :-)

Cindy — January 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I already told you MMMM on the peppermint chia seed pudding so this time I will say again MMMMMMMM and if I win some seeds this will be the first recipe I make! haha

AlwaysJoy — January 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Do you think I could make vanilla peppermint?