Highlights of the Week

How’s Saturday going for you?  Whatcha up to?  Shopping, chilling, hanging out, frantically searching for gifts?  Fill me in!  It’s Scott’s birthday today and so I’ve been trying to make his day as special as possible!  We got hot & sweaty together this morning.  On a 4 mile power walk which was great!  And we spent time together as a family but I took Skylar for the afternoon so he could sit back, relax, and enjoy the beach and some much-deserved alone-time on his birthday!  Tonight, he requested Italian food and since the kitchen here is small and I don’t really care to spend time boiling vats of water for noodles that I can’t eat and turning on an oven to bake the rest, we’re carrying it in from one of the bazillion Italian restaurants here on the island of Aruba.  I’ll keep you posted how the food looks and if we get into any trouble on his birthday with a night out on the town.  Kidding, we have a toddler with us!

I’m glad you enjoyed my Chocolate Themed Post yesterday.
I provided backlinks for some of my popular recipes like my Raw Vegan PB Cups

and my Raw Vegan Chocolate Donut Holes

And also graced you with my take on Raw Vegan Overnight “Chocolate Brownie” Protein Oats

It tastes like an oatmeal-inspired chocolate brownie to me!  Thick, fudgey, and delish!

But let’s get started with recapping my week’s eats and events.  If you missed last week’s recipe recap and Highlights of the Week, here you go, check it out!

For this week…
Sunday Heather Guest Posted about Veggies

And Yoga

Monday I went in Search of Coffee in Aruba

With Skylar in tow

But found Cute Bowls for 50 cents each

Tuesday Katie made Raw Tiramisu Balls Babies
tir
znyc 594

And I brewed some of my own coffee in a coffee pot I brought from homeAhhh, heaven.

And mentioned Gena’s Special Cleanse & Great Pricing!

cork

Wednesday I had a Mega Grocery Store Shop-A-Thon.
I found everything from Dutch White Chocolate and Hazelnut Pastes and Nut Butters

And more Hazelnut Pasta and Pure Chocolate Pasta.

To Amazing Cakes and Breads

Banana Cake and Pineapple Cake.

To Overpriced Veggies

To Maranatha AB & Goddess Dressing halfway around the globe!

And there was Time at the Pool

And Time at the Beach

Thursday Alison of Mama’s Weeds Guest Posted about her Weight Loss Success Story!

Today

And we had a morning at the Beach
Then we came in for lunch.  And a much needed nap!

Friday I announced the Winner of  the Bora Bora Foods Give Away!

If you missed the Winner, Click Here to Find out!

Also on Friday I posted about Chocolate In Aruba:
White Chocolate

And Bittersweet Chocolate

Cappuccino Themed Chocolate Bars

And these Dark Chocolate with White Nougat & Peanut Chocolates

And Raw Vegan “Chocolate Brownie” Overnight Protein Oats

And I made High Raw Vegan Chocolate Coconut Snowballs

A we received a lovely Dark Chocolate-Colored Statue

Aside from chocolate there was a Kale, Brock, and Cuke Salad with Vegan Slaw Dressing

And rice with a Garden Salad with Vegan Creamy Tahini “Cesar” Inspired Dressing

We also went to the beachAnd I read.  A real, live book!  Something not from my computer screen.  Amen!!!!

I know Alison has been all over this book forever.  And so has CindyAnd so has half of the blogosphere, no doubt.  I’m addicted to reading blogs a little slow in cracking this book, but I adore it so farAdore.  Especially the part where Brendan discusses that we need sunlightPerfect.  I’m on the Equator at the moment so that totally works out for me.  Heather was just talking about her love of the sun, yesterday, too.  Seriously the recipes in the Thrive Diet are awesome, worth the price of admission for sure!

And I also read some old Yoga Journal Magazines.  I had a stack I brought with to catch up on.  Yay for catching up on the printed word, not the screen-typed word!

After we came in from the beach, I feasted on a kale, brock, cauli, cuke, and sugar snap pea salad with my homemade  Homemade Vegan Slaw Dressing.

And Skylar had a fruit plate

And mango

with some fresh, locally-made, cinnamon-raisin bread.

Yoga Today is Bhuja Pindasana

Tip of the Day:  Busyness and Rushing.  When you feel harried, crazy, rushed, running around like a chicken with your head cut off,  and like you can’t catch your breath, just stopClose your eyes.  Think to yourself, I have all the time in the world.  I don’t have to rush.  Envision a wise sage or Buddha sitting and calmly meditating peacefully.  Hold that mental image as you breath in and out for a couple minutes, or 5 slow breaths in and out.  When you open your eyes, carry on about your day, but just hold onto that bit of peace and calm and non-rushing attitude that you allowed yourself for those few minutes.

Do you meditate?  Do you believe in quiet moments?   Is sitting and being present, still, mindful, and peaceful easy or hard for you?  For me, as I get older, and as I have practiced to find the sweet spot of being mindful and aware, but not being too detached nor too hyper-focused on things, especially on outcomes, the practice of meditation and slowing my mind has gotten easier.  But…  My mind is always going a million miles an hour and it has taken years of work and a conscious choice to slow it down, to downshift my brain’s gears, and my meditation practice has helped.  What do you do to find peacefulness and calmness?

Stay Tuned For a Guest Poster who tweaked My Raw Vegan PB Cups Recipe…

just in time for the Holidays…

No Responses to “Highlights of the Week”

Jessica — December 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm

My favorite drink IS water – it is pretty much all I drink. I do love the occasional alcholic drink – the banana martini on the menu looks so good. Your photos are beautiful – looks like a blast! :)

healthhappinesshope — December 23, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Wow, Averie! Aruba seriously sounds AMAZING! Skylar is such a cutie, and you ARE simply gorgeous in those sunset photos. :) Thank you so much for sharing these tidbits of your vacation. It honestly gives me so much inspiration and hope for my own future.

I'd have to say my favorite drink is a soy iced latte. Yes, I'm a coffee girl! But I also have a Smartwater on hand as well!

xxoo
    Heather

greensandjeans — December 23, 2009 at 3:00 pm

We just might have to go out for a fancy drink when you get back! I drink tons of water, tea, and coffee. My guilty pleasure is definitely diet coke though (tsk tsk, I know!) I drank a lot more when I was in college than I do now (which is maybe once or twice a month). My body just FEELS better when I'm operating on a cleaner level. Plus, who likes a hangover?

Molly — December 23, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I'm still under-age (which doesn't matter to a lot of people), but when I was younger I was involved in a drunk driving car accident. It really freaked me out, even though I was really little, and I promised myself then that I wouldn't drink. To this day, I just have no desire to drink (although I've tasted other people's drinks on occasion).
    In any case, my favorite drinks are water, tea (including kombucha), almond or soy milk, and your delicious hot cocoa!

Shannon — December 23, 2009 at 3:52 pm

i used to really enjoy good beers, but somewhere in grad school my tummy started to revolt. now i occasionally have some wine or a drink, but the $$ and morning after feeling takes the fun out of it!!

have a wonderful holiday averie!

Michelle — December 23, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Wellll I never drink alcohol unless it's a cocktail, which is THE WORST i know!!! I just hate the taste of alcohol, but if it's sweet and without the bitter burning taste, I go for it. My favorite drink…hmmm it might have to be something fizzy. Maybe ice-water when I drink it first thing in the morning!! SO refreshing and delicious!! :)

I have to say, the bittersweet chocolate is what caught my eye. hahaha But my boyfriend buys Mrs. REnfro's salsa and he won't buy any other brand!!! He says it's way too amazing and SPICY like you said!! hahah looks like we're all a bunch of spice lovers aren't we?? :)

Gosh Skylar is adorable!!! I hope she knows that. hahaha

aletheia — December 23, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Nope, I never get sick of kale, broccoli and cauliflower! :)

Nice pictures! Clearly you're gorgeous and Skylar is adorable!

As for drinking alcohol – I don't do it because it's just never appealed to me. Laugh as you may, but my favourite drinks are water and spinach-parsley-carrot juice. Mmmm, parsley.

*Naomi* — December 23, 2009 at 4:25 pm

SO BEAUTIFU!L I mean everything, the sunset, and you and skylar! so pretty

wowwww what a drink list! I would have certainly gotten a specialty martini, but just 1! I do drink, nbut not that often and only if it is worth it! I never drink during the work week, only on fridays and or sat and thats IF I do…I hate that hungover feeling too!!

my fav drinks are coffee in any form! I also love unsweetened ice tea and poland springs raspberry lime seltzer!!

xoxxo

kilax — December 23, 2009 at 4:25 pm

My fave drink is water. It is very rare I have alcohol, and I don't drink soda or juice. I'd rather eat my calories ;)

Jess — December 23, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Hey sweetie! Love your trip/fam pics! you and Skylar are just adorable (is it stupid to assume pink is your fave color after all these photos? LOL)! (I think I say that every day when you post pics of you two but it's true)

I can't do a full split yet but I am working on it. I'm so proud for doing yoga at home twice this week when normally I'm a lazy butt if I can't get out of my house.

I don't drink because I'm 4'11" and 110lbs and one drink is one too many for me. But I used to have at least two, and that just never ended well. I miss wine on occasion but it just ain't worth it – also I feel I don't have enough brain cells to spare any to alcohol deaths.

I had a nephew yesterday, so we celebrated Christmas with the fam pre-SIL-going-into-labor, so we're just chilling now – candlelight caroling tomorrow, relaxing at the IL's, then Saturday we fly to Disney World for the week :) :) :)

Katie — December 23, 2009 at 4:38 pm

My favorite drink is water, followed closely by red wine. I do drink alcohol- 9 times out of 10 it's going to be a glass of red wine- because I genuinely like the taste and trying new varietals. I am NOT a fan of hard liquor- it doesn't agree with me!

I love your yoga pose of the day- it is one of my goals to be able to do a full split someday!

Mama Pea — December 23, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I love the pictures of you and Skyler. I feel like I am there and it gets me so excited for our trip in March.

I'm still weary of drinking alcohol…I overindulged a bit in my law school years and first year of practicing law (so stressful!), and so I always hesitate in partaking. I see to regret drinking more than I regret not drinking, but still when I'm at a holiday party and the wine is flowing (like will happen tonight), it's hard to resist.

I hope you guys are enjoying yourselves as much as it looks like you are!!!

Earth Mother — December 23, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Been enjoying your island posts, Averie. My niece is getting married in Aruba next summer.

My fave drink is probably Green Lemonade (Romaine, Cukes, Celery, Apple, Ginger, Lemon — or some variation of), which I have each morning.

I haven't had a drink of alcohol since Sept. 5, 1990. On Christmas Eve, while the rest of my family imbibes, I will have a glass of ARIEL with dinner. It's the only de-alcoholized wine to win a Gold Medal against wines with alcohol.

Crystal — December 23, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I would be lying if I said that coffee wasn't my favorite drink.. it totally is! I do drink water most, otherwise. Alcohol- would probably be wine and vodka- though not together! Thanks for stopping by my blog!- Yoga is going.. slowly- but hopefully will pick up after the holidays :) You and the family look like your having an amazing time- and I wish I was digging in that sand with you all! What I wouldn't do for some beach weather here on the east coast! I've been keeping it warm with all the baking going on here in the kitchen.. Have a great holiday!

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils — December 23, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog from Gena's :) I adore Veueve myself, but if you've gone 4 years without, I say keep the good work rolling! Beautiful pics of you and your daughter.

Susan — December 23, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Love the photos of you two beautiful girls!!! And how cute is Skylar in that Christmas wonderland? :)

I totally get your iffyness with alcohol. Like you, I used to be a boozehound, but now that I've been off it for so long, I just can't bring myself to get back into it!! And knowing the calories in giant margaritas kinda ruins it for me now. I'd MUCH rather a yummy dessert than a cheap tasting tequila slushy ;)

Katie — December 23, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Green Tea right now! I don't drink alcohol. Too many calories I'd rather eat my calories thank you! Plus I want to be in control at all times. Annnd I do have an addictive personality ( I am the person who eats the WHOLE bag of chips!) so for me I know one drink would probably not be enough if I liked it ;)

Plus I run, spin , do yoga and am vegan why would I put something that isn't a clean substance in my body that I strive to take such good care of?

Jenny — December 23, 2009 at 5:46 pm

oh the little peanut with her little peanuts .. too damn cute!

a yi yi, 25 dollars for chicken parm? I hope it was encrusted with cold speaks. That's ridiculous!

Sunset drinks sound like a dream. I hope you enjoyed every special moment with your gorgeous family! I know you did :)

my favorite drink would have to be Coffee (we are one in the same) or good ol' agua. It makes me feel so.. cleansed.. if that makes sense.

In my prime (aka high school) I was all over the liquor.. yeah. I was so cool. As my ED became more prominent I strayed away (liquid cals, you kno you kno). But Ginge always manages to bring out the alcoholic in me (i.e. last night.. bottle of JD, game over) gotta enjoy my youth while I can, right? That's what I'm aiming for. Gingie makes it easier.

okay, novel over.

LOVE YOU!

Carbzilla — December 23, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I'd like one of those Witch Doctors off the menu – just FedEx it in a sippy cup. It should be fine. Customs won't even blink.

The cookies from yesterday were really spectacular – what a treat!

My favorite drink these days is my morning smoothie, hands down. In the past I was a Diet Pepsi girl. I actually had one the other day for the first time in months. It took me 3days to finish a 16 oz bottle, and I used to drink those in one sitting ALL the time!

As far as alcohol goes, Vodka and many wines give me a three day migraine so they're hardly worth it. I can deal with rum sometimes – apparently my body has different issues with the sugar levels in alcohol. Lately, I've been having a few sips of port that we got through our wine club, but I normally have one drink and that's it. I boozed it up pretty good in college and popped right up for class in the morning, but those days are loooooooong behind me.

Devan Geselle — December 23, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I love all your photos averie!
    I cant belive that drink list!! IT IS extensive! that'd make anyone want to order either everything, or nothing at all! ahaha. im not a heavy drinker at all either.
    Aruba looks so breathtaking. as do you! The sunset lighting is radiant, love. but i think you are the one making it radiant.

Nutritious is Delicious — December 23, 2009 at 6:22 pm

MMMM! Look at all of those scrumptalicious photos! Sounds like so much fun! :D

Fave drink?! A Kevaccino from Keva Juice…of course!

theemptynutjar — December 23, 2009 at 6:31 pm

The milkway martini sounds great. I think drinking and enjoying it can be a part of your life if you want it to be. No matter what, just love and live, right?
    The chocolate looks great again.
    Keep safe and beautiful photos of you and your gir.

Diana — December 23, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Totally late saying so, but Shannon Marie's post was an embarrassment of riches! Holy cow! Or holy cookies, rather. (Wish I was the Santa in that household, haha…) Post = bookmarked!

Not much of a drinker myself. Enjoyed it (kinda) in college, and now I'm over it. I'm really over hangovers, to the point where I get nervous when I start to "feel" whatever it is I'm drinking–which means I only ever have 1-2 drinks! If at all. I do love me some champagne though, I have to admit…

Cindy — December 23, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I vote for you to create some Vita Bev's non alcohol style! I know you can create some great holiday coctails w/o the KICK!

I love a good margarita but I just takes vapors to get me all goofy. I couldn't stand the idea of something happening to JJ and his mama's slushed out on the couch! (not that that was ever the case) but you know what I mean?

I'm a sipper now. OH that looks good…can I have a sip?
    So I feel I got to be an adult and didn't need to trip more than I do sober!

haha
    so with that I would have to say a Carrot apple ginger juice makes me super happy or coconut water!

water is my day to day as is hot tea. and a nice treat nowadays is a latte. (home made of course)
    I usually only drink half of it!
    fun post and love that you are sharing your vaca with us!

Living and Loving in L.A. — December 23, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Yum! What a great guest post that was! I love raw treats!!!
    Hope you are having fun on your trip!!!
    XOXO,
    Erin

ktbwood — December 23, 2009 at 8:41 pm

nahh im not a drinker!! haha ive actually drank ONE time in my life..back in highschool..and i dont plan on doing it any time soon! maybe on my 21st bday-but who knows! i think it can be super dangerous for girls in college too..some girls go to frat parties and get VERY wasted and dont even remember the night, and that is scary to me!!

wow your sunset pics are BEAUTIFUL!! i love them!! i love you and skylar! she is so beautiful like her momma :)

have a GREAT christmas Averie, i cant wait to hear about it!

The Voracious Vegan — December 23, 2009 at 8:55 pm

My favorite drink is definitely water, in fact, it is basically the only thing I drink not including green smoothies/juices. I was never allowed soda as a kid and so I think I never developed a taste for it. And I quit drinking 6 years ago and haven't looked back since. I guzzle water, the colder the better, all day.

I love all these photos, as usual you've made me incredibly hungry! So many beautiful, tasty, Rawwwkin treats!

Lauren — December 24, 2009 at 12:41 am

Awesome pics, YUMMY TREATS!!!! I use to drink, but I find my stomach is better off without, although that martini is looking good around this time of year! :)

Julie — December 24, 2009 at 12:57 am

girl who needs the lover drink when you've got your own in a man ;) haha

i drink so rarely! i hateee the feeling of being hungover the next day and losing the entire day. im crazed like that. to me it's just not worth it and i think i'm fun without it! but i do have the occasional fun night and love every minute of it!

glad you're having so much fun in aruba!!

elise — December 24, 2009 at 1:32 am

awwwwwwwwwwww…great pics. those drinky menus look too crazy for me.

so my solution to your drank sitch is this. a trip to the dieden vineyard in 2010. yes? good, its a date. hopedully we will both be back in ca by then, ha!

Tricia — December 24, 2009 at 1:35 am

The drink list looks great. I rarely drink, but I think I may have been tempted by all those yummy sounding drinks.

traynharder23 — December 24, 2009 at 2:28 am

i love drinkin water, barley tea, green tea, and fresca!!! no alcohol for this petite asian! HELLO glow. =D

thanks, i'm feeling pretty good!

Michal — December 24, 2009 at 3:32 am

Wow aruba im jealous! I would kill for a ray of sun right now :) My favorite drink has to be coconut water even though i never get it anymore because it so expensive.

crazylittlethingneela — December 24, 2009 at 5:05 am

merry christmas my beautiful averie!!
    i enjoyed reading this post and your daughter is just the sweetest kid in the world. who could blame her for loving her nuts??? ;)
    xoxo

Katie — December 25, 2009 at 5:43 am

You and your little lady are making me so jealous that I am in the cold midwest!
    Obviously my favorite drink is coffee followed by water, which I realize makes me sound like so much fun! :)
    Love all your veggie photos too! There is nothing quite like a giant bowl of fresh veggies, right?

Bekah — December 25, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Coffee and water for meee. (I do have a love for wine, I'll have to tell you more about that later. ;)) BUT, wine kind of goes a long with my love of cooking and food. And its a treat. Not a normal thing.

Love all the pics though. You're beautiful Averie! And gahhh, 5' 11" holy cow! You can tell you're tall with the yoga pics, but didn't know how tall. My best friend is about 5' 11" too, so when (when, not if!) we meet up, I'll be used to the height difference.