Oats and Oatmeal Recipes

Oats and Oatmeal Recipes:

Sunflower Seed Butter Granola Bars with Chocolate Drizzle (vegan, GF)

Cinnamon Oatmeal Date Bars with Chocolate Chunks (no-bake, vegan, gluten-free)

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars (No-Bake, Vegan, GF)

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Granola Bars (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Snickerdoodle Cookie Granola Bars (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Skillet Cookie

High Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Coconut Oatmeal Toffee Cookies

Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Brown Sugar Cookies {Anzac Biscuits}

Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Brown Sugar Cookies {Anzac Biscuits} - Soft, Chewy, Easy, No-Egg, No-Mixer Cookie Recipe at averiecooks.com

Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Miracle Cookies (vegan, GF)

Trail Mix Peanut Butter Cookies (GF)

Raw Vegan Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Cookies

With additional Tips Here

Added the Leaning Tower of Chocolate Brown Rice Pisa Protein, Agave, & Stirred

Vegan Gluten Free Pancakes

Vegan Gluten Free Pancakes

Crack Pie

Are Oats Gluten Free?
This is sort of a trick question.  I’ll explain.
Oats themselves are gluten-free. However, the issue that arises is that in the planting of oat crops, harvesting, milling, and transporting the oats, they are frequently cross-contaminated with wheat, rye, or barley which all are gluten-containing grains.   So yes, oats are gluten-free inherently but they are surface-level contaminated with gluten, sometimes in large amounts, sometimes in trace amounts.  For individuals with true Celiac Disease, gluten should be avoided at all costs.

For individuals like myself who are gluten-sensitive and gluten-intolerant, but it’s not a matter of life-and-death, to each his or her own whether they choose to purchase specifically certified Gluten-Free Oats.  My gluten intolerance is not sensitive enough that I need to do this and I am fine using conventional oats, but I also don’t ever eat more than 1/3 cup per day or I will feel the effects systemically; but..

…”There are several companies who now sell “certified gluten-free oats,” which are oats that are farmed, harvested, processed and packed using special methods to avoid cross-contamination with gluten during every step of the way. Gluten-free oats currently sell for around $4 to $5 a pound.” (source)

If you feel that organic oats, Trader Joe’s or WF’s many varieties of oats, the bulk bins at your food co-op, or even Quaker Oats won’t suffice and need a truly Gluten-Free option, check out Gluten Free Oats or Bob’s Red Mill GF Oats.

So that was a long-winded answer but like I said, it’s tricky and only your own personal detective work will tell you whether you need Certified GF Oats or not.

Have Shopping to do at iHerb.com
*Use Coupon Code AVE630 to take $5 Off Your First Order!

108 Responses to “Oats and Oatmeal Recipes”

Kati — February 5, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Your post hit on so many levels with me! First, I LOVE "gettin my hair did" too and am doing so a week from Monday. Can't wait! Second, I just posted on my blog about "un-plugging" a little. I'm going to take a break from Facebook…Third, Skylar is so cute! :> Oh, and I don't have a TJ's but wish we did desperately!

Gabriela — February 5, 2010 at 11:52 pm

TJ's beats WF, anyday…my only complaint is that they don't have as much produce! I agree about unplugging. I feel like in college though, EVERYTHING is online. If you're not constantly on Facebook, you're out of the loop! It's a tough balance to find. I get my hair done every 2-3 months. I'm lucky that my hair is still pretty blonde and roots aren't too noticeable!

Danielle (Coffee Run) — February 6, 2010 at 12:03 am

Awesome finds! I wish there was a TJs near my school- I'd be all over those plantain chips :)

I'm still sort of struggling to balance school/running/Sorority/SDA/blogging. I seriously don't know how you do it. It may or may not be exhausting me :/

I've been loving sunflower seeds lately. Have you tried sunflower seed butter? It's amazing

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl — February 6, 2010 at 12:06 am

It is hard trying to balance blogging, the Internet, research, writing, etc., with real life but I'm working on improving myself. :-D

And, phew, girl you've been BUSY!

Hugs,
    Michele

Kate — February 6, 2010 at 12:08 am

I just made the flax cookies. They were yummy. I thought they tasted like buttered popcorn. Yum!! I've been looking to use up the toasted flax seeds I bought mistakenly. I usually get raw.

I'm trying to spend less time online because it makes me feel kind of blah. Even though I'm learning things most of the time. Like how to make yummy cookies!

Jessica @ How Sweet — February 6, 2010 at 12:09 am

Those flaxseed cookies look incredible!!! Yum!

eaternotarunner — February 6, 2010 at 12:17 am

love love love TJ!

C'est la vie — February 6, 2010 at 12:24 am

Thanks for the comment on my blog!

Omgosh I have NEVER ever heard of plantains here in Australia. I don't think we have them!!

I try to only go on the computer in the morning OR the night, but always end up going back and forth just checking my facebook/blogger or whatever.

Fav nut- Almond. Fav seed- probs Pumpkin.. and I get my hair done whenever it needs it!! :P

Natalia

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 6, 2010 at 12:25 am

Your daughter is just the cutest thing!! I can't wait to do ceramics my daughter! No big Super Bowl plans for me.

Have a great weekend Averie!

faithfitnessfun — February 6, 2010 at 12:25 am

I like to think that I have a decent balance because I try to break down the time I spend on the computer into small increments, so it's not overwhelming to catch up with blogs/emails/typing Sunday school lessons & tutoring plans/etc. I do know I could probably get better at it still though.

And I am a HUGE TJ's fan! Can't handle WF and the abuse it does on my wallet ;)

Mama Pea — February 6, 2010 at 12:43 am

Not only are we going to Trader Joe's tonight, but we may go pottery painting tomorrow! We are in tune, my friend. About a month ago, I "purged" my reader. I'm down to about 20 blogs I read, and I only leave about 10 or so comments a night (I rotate). I feel much happier and balanced!!!

Food Makes Fun Fuel — February 6, 2010 at 12:49 am

I want to try more hemp seeds! I Think I might light them. For nuts, I'm crossed between the peanut and the pistachio, either one heavily salted
    Trader Joe couldn't get better than for his chocolate chips <3 I wish they'd make more decaf variety coffee, though :-/
    Superbowl Sunday I'll be going back to my dorm and maybe eating Lightlife buffalo wings for celebrating

Lexi — February 6, 2010 at 1:00 am

Love all of the TJ's finds!! I love that place, I need to go there more often!

Katie ♥ — February 6, 2010 at 1:14 am

Oh my what amazing goods you got at Trader Joes!! I need to go there next week, wish I could this weekend but we are snowed in!!!!

THose rice crackers and Plantain Chips are calling my name!! Send some over, lol!!

I get my hair done every month and a half, I do it a home on my own, its not too bad to color by yourself, can get messy if your not careful!!

Muah! I am following your blog now : ) why wasn't my booty before , hehehe!!

traynharder23 — February 6, 2010 at 1:27 am

TRADER JOES IS BOMB! =D
    oh man. i know, i'm surrounded by testosterone DAILY! LOL! it's not too bad. just stinks at times.

Nicknames are great. shows you are loved. =D TGIFFFFFFFFFFFFF boo!

Kristin Pizzi — February 6, 2010 at 1:47 am

Your daughter Skylar is so cute! I am huge trader joe's fan myself.. my sister and I can eat a bag of their rice crackers in one sitting :)

ktbwood — February 6, 2010 at 2:07 am

i LOVE those pics of sky baby!
    you are so incredibly sweet-WOW your comment seriously warmed my heart! thank you for being such a light and so passionate! dang! made my night!
    i LOVE GETTING MY HAIR DONE! it makes me feel so girly!

bitt of raw — February 6, 2010 at 2:26 am

can't type much today, not feeling well. just have to say your blog always cheers me up. :-)

Rosapatrice — February 6, 2010 at 2:26 am

Hi and I have a question. Do you have a Ranch Dressing recipie using that Vegan Mayo, please? I've tried making it with nuts and seeds, but it's double yukkie. Here's my email. rosapatirce@gmail.com Thank you very much!

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen — February 6, 2010 at 2:39 am

I am so with you on the haircuts…I just waited 7 months and could not stand it any more…so I got about 6 inches cut off. I should be good for another 7 now! I am also with you on constantly looking for knowledge. I like learning new things and reading what is going on out there pushes me to try things for myself. I too love Trader Joe's…looks like you found some great stuff. Ours is a little out of the way, but I plan to go soon. I will have to try those chocolate chips. Hopefully they will work for me. Thanks for the information!

Tess — February 6, 2010 at 2:39 am

Wow, that caramel popcorn is vegan… dangerous indeed! I love your Trader Joe's finds, the French roast is my favorite. I hate how different Trader Joe's carry different items!

I can't believe how much you did this week! Happy weekend!

eggplantexecutrix — February 6, 2010 at 2:43 am

I really need a book that helps me root out "hidden" dairy… it's a learning process!

I totally wait too long on my hair. Eeee!

And I, too, love a full day of being unplugged. A week of no Internet on the cruise was amazing.

Katie — February 6, 2010 at 2:53 am

Hey Averie! I just whipped up your Raw Vegan Apple Carrot (Pan)cakes! They are dehydrating right now as we speak. I didn't want to grind up some almonds because I had some leftover almond pulp from making almond milk earlier today. So, I just used that. The batter was sort of wet, I think, compared to yours. Do you think it will still turn out alright? I am thinking they will probably have to stay in the dehydrator a little while longer because of the moisture.

Deleilan — February 6, 2010 at 2:54 am

Hi Averie! I've just recently started to explore the world of raw, and your blog is so filled with positive energy that I'm feeling incredibly inspired. Your yoga photos completely blow my mind!
    Those flaxseed cookies look delicious — I love flaxseeds, although hemp seeds are a close second. And my favourite nuts are cashews too!

Rosapatrice — February 6, 2010 at 3:29 am

correction on my email!! It's actually rosapatrice@gmail.com. Do you have a vegan ranch dressing, please, anyone? Thank you very very much.

Barefoot AngieB — February 6, 2010 at 3:32 am

Those cookies look really amazing!
    Have a wonderful day tomorrow at your training :) Its always so nice to be around others who share a passion for what you yourself love.
    I love sunbutter. Other nuts make me feel funny and give me horrible cramps. Its a bummer since I really love the flavor but Sunbutter is one of those things that gives me hope for the world haha! I also love pistachios and they seem to be fine to eat.
    I sometimes have to limit my online time. I switch between reading a whole bunch and then being online a bunch. Its hard to balance it all but I am a stay at home mom so I do have lots of time its just a time management thing for me.
    I love to run and that is so cleansing for me!
    So anyways have a lovely day tomorrow sweetie!
    Angie

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — February 6, 2010 at 3:36 am

Yum, I love the look of those maple cookies! Much healthier that the TJ's ones I have been obsessing over for sure. :)
    By the way, I am definitely in the wait until I can't stand my hair anymore camp with you. I am so bad about getting regular haircuts!

Ameena — February 6, 2010 at 3:42 am

I love TJ's. Whole Foods to me is just not worth a trip. I can get everything at TJs!

I am on the computer way too much! I need to stop focusing on blogging and start focusing on work…since they actually pay me!

moretolifethanlettuce — February 6, 2010 at 3:46 am

"more mommy" is the best review you can get! i'm pretty jealous of your peaceful sunday plans, somehow i got duped into going to a superbowl party. eh! mm those medjools will be put to good use i'm sure!

Living and Loving in L.A. — February 6, 2010 at 3:58 am

I am also a HUGE TJ's fan. I also shop at a store called Fresh & Easy, they are even cheaper than TJ's for some things if you can believe it!
    Love Southern Cali cheap food stores!!!
    Have a great yoga class tomorrow, Averie! And a great rest of your weekend!
    XO!
    Erin

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 6, 2010 at 3:59 am

I'm so jealous of your hair appointment! Mine is looking a bit like a hot mess right now… I try to unplug a couple of nights a week so I don't burn out!

funfashionista — February 6, 2010 at 4:10 am

i love your blog!! you're eats look amazing, i love love love no bake cookies:). i think i can find a good balance between being on the computer and "real life" lol im only really ever on the computer if im not up moving around doing anything else. so its a pretty good balance.
    amy<3

Carbzilla — February 6, 2010 at 4:47 am

I can see them saying that people with depression may be on the computer a lot, but since I've become an internet addict (proudly since 1996) I'd have to say I'm LESS depressed. I always have someone to talk to or something to learn.I've opened up my life to so many things with the internet (found my grad program, my husband, etc.) that I brought MORE into my life. Better than sitting around depressed doing nothing.

PS I'm having flashes of Skylar in high school – BEAUTY!!!!

sophia — February 6, 2010 at 5:18 am

Hahaha at this: "Why did I feel like I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off? Oh wait, because I was! "
    You're so adorable, Averie!

I have NEVER gotten my hair done before. I didn't know you had to wait with schedules and everything. how annoying.
    Oh, and I blog at night. Since I have that 7pm rule, it works out really nicely.

Andrea@WellnessNotes — February 6, 2010 at 5:55 am

The pottery painting trip looks like lots of fun! I look forward to taking the toddler one day…

Loved going along on your TJ's trip. I shop there every week and only once in a while at WF…. You are right, they have great things!

Blogging/"real" life balance? Still trying to figure that one out… But unplugging enough is certainly important… :)

Happy weekend!

Anais — February 6, 2010 at 6:29 am

Awesome yoga post! How do you get into it, though? I was never able to do it….

Vera — February 6, 2010 at 7:39 am

Those flax cookies sure look good – and speedy!
    i loved the fair trade + cherries in your post as well!

findinghappinessandhealth — February 6, 2010 at 8:39 am

ahh your recipes amaazeee- always :)

as far as balance- oh man, so hard!! i am drawn to blogging/the computer/tv shows/etc. but at the asme time i know too much is a problem. lately i feel like i've been doin ga good job of blogigng when i want to but there is still the obligation factor that will always be there- the obligation comes from myself though bc it is something i WANT to too but is still hard to find time for sometimes (does that make sense? haha)
    i wait toooo long to get my hair cut!! i should be on a schedule- oops!!

xoxo
    shelley

Elizabeth Jarrard — February 6, 2010 at 12:00 pm

ooo i'm definitely going to have to make those cookies! i love trader joes. did you know all of their fair-trade coffee is Equal Exchange coffee, but under a private label? high quality!
    ps did you see the breakfast bowl i'm co-hosting next week? you should definitely submit something!

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) — February 6, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I get excited when I see produce pictures.. Im odd. lol

I love to unplug! Im not on the computer at all during the day with my new job and its the best feeling ever. Honestly…

LOVE gettin the hair done.. I usually wait til it needs done to make an appt. Im naturally blond but went dark about 2 yrs ago so I need to get it colored every 2-3 months or so. Im growing my hair out.. I want it really long so I just get a trim!

LOVE flax seeds.. put em in my oatmeal, smoothies, and cereal!

Happy weekend, Averie ;)

aletheia — February 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Hey Averie, I realllly liked your no bake flaxseed cookies. Simplicity wins my heart, every time. :)

2 weeks until graduation?! Sweet!!

I do think that being on the Internet affects our mood. Mostly, for me anyway, it's less of a conscious thing when I'm AT the computer – and more of a panic-thing when I finally tear myself away and look at the clock and go WOW WHERE DID ALL MY TIME GO. But I'm learning. I think for me a LOT of learning happens on the Internet too, and that's part of why it's so addicting, but I need to realize that some of life's lessons can only be learned by, well, living. :)

have a great weekend hon,

Aletheia xo

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) — February 6, 2010 at 1:56 pm

*Signed in with the wrong name above, sorry!*

Those cookies look great!

I understand where you're coming from with the internet 100%. I constantly struggle with a balancen between technology and the real world. Especially because I just moved to Toronto, don't have any friends aside from my school friends and my boyfriend, and the computer holds the key to all my friends and family back home, and blogging! But I need to take a step back every day, breathe, spend some time away and get in touch with the real world! I do need to unplug more, though.

I LOVE TJ's but we don't have it here in Canada! =(
    Maybe one day!

I WISH I could get my hair done every 6-8 weeks like I used to, it's every three months or so for me now, being so busy/broke!

xo
    K

Anonymous — February 6, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Vibrant post!
    I too can not justify the WF thing. TJ's is my go to with the occasional trip to WF for certain items.

The new organic coffee selections: great price, love that they are fair trade organic. Will try.

The plaintain crispy things….nice. Will look for those too. The nutrition profile isn't bad for some snacky crunch.

The raw flax cookies with maple look awesome! Can you bring some now :) Yes, I like my flaxseeds toasted too, so much more flavor.

Internet and Balance: Wish I had more time to surf and blog. Hard to find the balance of creating my posts and reading and commenting. All of it is equally important to me. I love learning from all of you! It is inspiring. So fun to have online buddies. Exercise, daily of course!

Hair: Oh, honey…i'll go 6 months plus before tending to my mane. Color I do myself. Can't stand sitting in the salon….makes me nuts. When it's all done I feel great!

Seeds and nuts….love 'em all. Toasted.
    xo

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} — February 6, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Vibrant post!

Seeds and nuts….love 'em all. Toasted.
    xo

Mo — February 6, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Hey I got my hair done Friday as well. No color, just a much needed cut – it had been 6 months!
    We love the plantains from Tj's! Oh, and they have the softest, freshest Medjool dates I have ever had…like candy!
    I admit, I get a little obsessed with reading blogs. I try not to go on the computer after 5 pm and leave the evening for family time.

fitandfortysomething — February 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I have to get my hair done every 6 weeks because I turn GRAY and with my dark hair it is really noticable. I feel like I look 10 years older if I wait. Love flax seeds ground fresh-the smell is wonderful. And yes, if I don't get off the computer I go nutso!
    Have a great day…..Lots of food for thought…..

Serena — February 6, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Unfortunately I don't even have a TJs nearby. :( I go to WF but it's always way more expensive. It's what I have so I can't complain (in fact it's my savior most of the time) but I always love going back to the TJs in my hometown. :)

The raw flax cookies look awesome :)

Also it's an interesting point you bring up on computers and depression…hmmm…maybe I should look into that. My mom definitely thinks I'm an internet addict.

Cindy — February 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm

oh boy did you bring up a lot of good points ….I am having to unplug and re nogotiate my schedule.

i am big on balance. and I need to have a lot to do because I get restless and if i get restless I get moody.

I love it when i find my groove and it's smooth sailing and I am getting all the things done in a day that I love. mom time, a good work day, the right food, time with my guys, exercise, crafts, blog….seems though that it's a very unflexable juggling act and easy upset …and when my groove is off and I have to let go of a few of my to do's I get so frustrated. I feel un productive and that is when I need my balance the most.

This is what is happening to me right now. my groove is way off and I have to figure it all out. made me so depressed for a few days (and being forced to un plug WAS a part of that)

so I do agree internet has it's ups and downs…and I TOO need to be learning and reading and figuring out new things.

HAIR…never bother with it…I probably should..

flax, love it too.

Thanks for such a good read.

have a dry and happy Saturday sweets.

xo

TheFitnessFreak — February 6, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Woohoo, graduation! How cool Averie!

Coffee, sniff, sniff……

I'll have to let my boys try those plantain strips. O haven't seen them there yet.

I saw that Go Dairy Free on Amazon and thought about getting it. Did you see the Raw Cashew Cheez recipe on my blog? It came from the Vegan World Fusion cookbook. I think you would really like it. They have it at Barnes and Noble so you could go check it out and see if you like it.

Yes, I think excessive internet use could make you stressed and depressed. I always feel like I have unfinished work and it makes me crazy. I have been on here a lot less lately. My family is far more important to me than what my readers think of me. I can't do it all hon, none of us can, right?

Take care and take a break for yourself, you have my permission :o)

Nicole

Emily — February 6, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Oh, you make me want to move to where there is a TJ's! I want one soo bad!

1 2 3