Carmelized Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Chickpea Peanuts

Hi Friends! I hope you’re having a great weekend so far.  I know I am because I’m done working for a few days and am about to start my actual “weekend” today.  Yay for that!

Today’s recipe is inspired by my childhood love of honey roasted peanuts as well those nuts that you can get from the mall around the holidays.  The kind of nuts that the scent wafts through the air and drives you insane and you just have to have them.

The kind of nuts, that once you pop, you can’t stop.  Yes, those nuts that you eat a a big container at once and give yourself a belly ache because nuts are hard to digest and not to mention, peanuts have aflatoxin.   Hard to digest and aflatoxins are just a couple reasons to not go too hog wild on peanuts and why my “peanuts” recipe may come in handy.

I’ve seen versions of roasted chickpeas but many recipes seem shy about using sugar.  I am not.  If you’re shy with sugar, then don’t make these.  But you’ll be missing out.  They are possibly one of the best baked foods I’ve made in ages and if you want to take $2 dollars worth of ingredients and make them taste like a million bucks, try these.  It will be worth it and your house will smell divine.  Plus, lots of the sugar gets stuck to the foil anyway.

Carmelized Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Chickpea “Peanuts”
1 can (15 oz.) of garbanzo beans/chickpeas
2/3 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1.5 Tsp Cinnamon (you can adjust up or down to taste)

Optional:
1 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
Sprinkle with course salt at the end or add salt to the cinnamon sugar mixture, to taste

Directions:
Drain and rinse your chickpeas

Pat fairly dry with paper towels

Combine dry ingredients and dredge chickpeas with sugar + cinnamon

Keep on rolling those little buggers until all the sugar has been used.  They’ll soak it all up.

Place on a Foil-Lined or Parchment-Lined Cookie Sheet and Bake at 375F for 40 minutes or until done.

Before Baking:

You Must Line Your Cookie Sheet or the resulting dishes will have you cursing.  I repeat: Line your Cookie Sheet!

I baked mine for 40 minutes, stirring once at 20 minutes.   Ovens are variable and with all that sugar, don’t burn it!  Watch it and if it looks and smells done, they are.

After 20 Minutes:

Lots of liquid is released and the sugar also liquifies….

….Until the sugar carmelizes

See you really are making Carmel with this recipe.  I wouldn’t steer you wrong!

After 40 Minutes of Baking:

Allow chickpeas to cool for as long as your can take it.  They will crisp up in the air, too.  So even if they don’t seem as “done” or as crunchy as you’d like when you first remove them from the oven, they will crunch-up more with air time.

These were insanely good and eaten immediately.  The whole batch done and gone in about 10 minutes.

Next time I’m making a double batch.  Skylar has already been begging me for more.  And so has Scott, who doesn’t even “like beans” or so he tells me.  Oh, he liked these.
“Mmm, good Mommy!”

They are nearly as crunchy as peanuts and if you want the sweet + salty vibe, dust with a sprinkle of salt at the end.

Close your eyes, and pretend you’re eating honey roasted peanuts.

17 Responses to “Carmelized Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Chickpea Peanuts”

Candice — December 23, 2011 at 10:08 am

I am making these now for my son. He is allergic to eggs, nuts, sesame, as well as on a dairy free/gluten free diet. So, it is hard to find treats for him. This sounds like a winner. :)

Candice — December 23, 2011 at 10:10 am

I was referring to the chickpeas.

Marissa — January 30, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Hi, I found this site thorough Pintrest and I’m glad I did :) I’m trying your roasted chickpea recipe as I type and looking forward to when the 40 minutes are up! Also, I found a chickpea recipe that is really good that you might want to try its at this link: http://www.cookincanuck.com/2009/12/spicy-roasted-chickpeas-with-rosemary/

It turns out really well, with a sort of sweet/spicy twist to them, they are VERY addicting :)

Gillian — February 9, 2012 at 10:07 am

Found this on pinterest and cannot wait to make these! I am a sucker for peanuts, but i have a feeling these might be awesome….

Tracy — February 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm

In case anyone is wondering- THESE ARE AMAZING! The caramelized sugar and cinnamon make the chickpeas a delicious dessert like treat :) I didn’t quite bake these right (multi-tasking in my oven with times and temperatures) and they may have come out a tiny bit burnt but they were still great. My junk food loving fiance was confused enough to ask me what chickpeas were again, as if he had never had them before because they were just that good. I also made these using the breading technique Averie has as a second recipe and I liked/loved the taste of these better! I will be making these again!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 10:13 pm

So glad you loved these…yes, they are really like a dessert in a “honey roasted peanut” form, but it’s a chickpea not a peanut. Until you try them, words cannot convey how good these little buggers are. And they’re…beans. I always say to people, don’t knock it til you try it and I am not one to try to say beans taste like brownie batter or beans taste like dessert, but in this way…I think they do! Glad you like the other version, too!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — July 1, 2012 at 8:47 am

Eeek! Your kiddo is super cute. These look AWESOME, Averie! I am obsessing over your blog at the moment–so many unique recipes featuring unexpected and healthy ingredients. I’m looking to try all those wonderful grains/seeds I mentioned I’ve never had–quinoa, flax, couscous… and I’m going crazy over trying to pick the perfect recipe I like the most. For sure, though, I’m picking up chickpeas at the store today!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 1st, 2012 at 9:36 am

Aww, thanks. This post is a couple years old and she looks like a “baby” to me in these pics now :) The chickpeas are candy-like…so good! LMK if you try them!

Amanda — August 27, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Can this “chick pea” recipe be made with raw cashews Instead? I have a pound of them and this sounds sooo good

Jennifer — May 18, 2014 at 9:20 am

These look amazing. Do they store well?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 18th, 2014 at 2:41 pm

You probably will want to eat these within a day or so.