Challenge: Attraction

I saw this challenge on Janetha’s blog.  And she saw it on Eliza’s blog. And I decided it looked pretty cool and unique and like I could have some fun with it.

The challenge is this

image

For each of the 30 days, I am supposed to discuss my thoughts and ideas on it.   Ramble away. The opposite of Golden Silence.

I won’t do them all, and won’t do them in order, but I thought today would be a good day to tackle at least one of them.

I could choose an easier one, i.e. Day 21, but I will go with Day 26 because I’d like all of you to chime in, too, and it’s a good thought-provoking question.

Day 26 – What kind of person attracts you

For me, I am attracted (not romantic attraction) to people who are:

Intelligent. Above all else, if you aren’t playing with a full deck of gray matter, I simply won’t be attracted to that person.

Positive, Upbeat, a Positive Spirit.  By and large, I am a positive person.  I don’t allow myself to get bogged down in negativity and am not attracted to people who have “woe is me” days,  every day.   Not everyone has a great day, every day. We all have our whines.  Ranting and raving is totally allowed, but if someone’s glass is always half-empty, or just flat out empty, rather than glass is half full, I am not attracted to that.  It brings me down when I hang around people like that and the older I get, the faster I recognize it when someone is like that and then distance myself.

Honest, Trustworthy

Sincere, Genuine, Real, Authentic

Have a sense of humor, Witty, Funny

Quirky, Offbeat, Funky

Kind

Compassionate, Empathetic

Open-minded

Giving

Outgoing, Friendly, Talkative

Before this sounds like a personals ad for a dating service, I’ll stop there.

From my last post on Food, Or Other Things.  It was fun to hear what you’d prefer to find or discover.  A foodie find, or a something else find.  The consensus was that it’s a case-by-case basis.

I’d rather find Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls than a can of tuna.  But I’d rather find a $100 bill on the ground than said cookie dough balls.  But I’ll keep on dreaming for that one.

And I liked your thoughts on One Big Ticket Item vs. Many Smaller Ticket Items.

Fresh, fast Lunch or Dinner Idea: Raw Pasta & Raw Marinara Sauce

If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler to peel long ribbons of zucchini.   I did a kitchen appliances post (Favorite Kitchen Appliances & Items ) and do recommend a spiralizer.  It’s 29.99 well spent, IMO. But a veggie peeler will work to make zuke ribbons.   And just throw some tomatoes and herbs in a blender and you have raw marinara sauce.  Easy.

Raw Pasta & Raw Marinara Sauce

Dessert: Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes with White Chocolate Icing

Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes with White Chocolate Icing

1. What’s going on for you this weekend?

I’m working, getting some workouts in, and planning a birthday party for someone special!

2. Is there anything that’s an absolute turn off in someone? A deal-breaker for sure?

Things that come to mind for me are lying, mean-spirited-ness, physical fighting, not caring about one’s health, not having drive and ambition.

3. What attracts you to someone?

Can’t wait to hear your answers!

4. Any Challenge Days you’d like to see me write about next? Opinions please!

Housekeeping Details: Links and pathways have been restored on all pages, including the Recipes Tab.

Email subscribers, if for some reason you’re not getting your daily email with my posts (I only know of one person who told me she wasn’t getting it), give it a day or so and if it’s still not showing up, try unsubscribing/resubscribing.  Sorry about the inconvenience.

See you later, I have a million errands to run and work to do!  toodles

75 Responses to “Challenge: Attraction”

Stephanie — January 27, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I love these challenges! So fun to learn about you!

Beth — January 27, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Intelligent is at the top of my list too, along with funny. I love to laugh, and I like to talk about things like politics and world affairs and current events. If someone cannot hold an intelligent conversation, what’s the point? Someone can be visually hot as hell, but if they’re not smart or don’t have a sense of humor I’m not interested. Kindness is important to me and so is a generous spirit.

Turn offs? General jerkiness or mean spiritedness is a no, and dishonesty is an absolute deal-breaker.

I really enjoy reading these. I’m glad you’re participating. :)

Allison @ Happy Tales — January 27, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Love this!! I’d have to say personality trumps looks for me (such as intelligence, good sense of humor, genuine, compassionate) Your list pretty much sums it up!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — January 27, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Mental attraction: intellect, vocabulary, speaking & writing ability, drive & ambition, learns from mistakes
    Emotional attraction: loyalty, honesty, respect, sharing common goals
    Physical attraction: nice lips/mouth/teeth, physically fit/in-shape, shapely butt, “manly” hands

Immediate deal-breaker: not knowing the difference between “your” and “you’re.”

;) It’s true!

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 27, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I love this! I might have to do this too.

Sara (Miles and Manhattan) — January 27, 2011 at 11:46 pm

aw her smile makes me smile, she’s SO cute. And loved your answers!!
    Sara

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 27, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Love the challenge list!! I might do it, too! Think I should? ;)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) — January 28, 2011 at 12:12 am

This looks like FUN!! May have to join ya! :)

Biggest attraction: good manners- little things like holding open doors for you, etc, and general happiness and positivity!

Deal breakers: bad attitude, negativity and rudeness

Basically, I want a dream/perfect man! I’m sure he’s out there somewhere! :P

eliz@thesweetlife — January 28, 2011 at 12:14 am

what great questions–very thought-provoking!

Errign — January 28, 2011 at 12:15 am

I’m doing the challenge too – started today!

Turn offs for me: smoking (gross!) and low self-esteem.

Personally, I find the days about “heavier” topics the most interesting, because that is generally where I see the most variance between people & that’s super intriguing to me. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog — January 28, 2011 at 12:24 am

I tried to date a guy once who was hot but soooo dumb… it was painful and I just couldn’t put up with it! And I completely agree on the positive people… negative people bring me down and put me in a funk, and life is just too short to be so negative all the time!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 3:33 am

hot but dumb. such a waste of hot-ness :)

• Christin@purplebirdblog replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 3:35 am

Seriously… he was at least good in bed for the 2 weeks I tolerated it. I seriously told him a couple times to just shut up and then we’d make out, lol!

CathyK — January 28, 2011 at 12:33 am

love the challenge! can’t wait to see your answers/which questions you pick to do!
    is the party going to be princess/disney-themed!?! if so, easier to find the decorations, gifts than in aruba!!!
    me? attractions: pithy and witty sense of humour; intelligence, drive and determination; compassion (and others); non=negotiable deal breakers: smoking; lying; laziness
    i had a spirulizer on my xmas list, but no one gave me one! good tip re the veggie peeler….
    yes! almost the weekend!

Heather — January 28, 2011 at 12:35 am

What an awesome idea for the Month Challenge!
    I say I am attracted to sim things. I dont really care what a person looks like, as long as they care for me and I care for them, thats all that counts. I tend to be nervous, take way to much on, and get stressed. A perfect person for me is someone who can not pile their negatives on me, help me forget about my stresses and enjoy life

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — January 28, 2011 at 12:36 am

FYI – I am subscribed through email and I am getting the notices — so it works for me.

What turns me off: bad personal hygeine, smokers (only because I think I would pick smoking back up!), people who are not kind to others (waitstaff, customer service folks, etc), people who don’t look you in the eye but also people who stare into your eyes when you talk to them — sorry I know that sounds petty but uncomfortable eye contact is a huge pet peeve of mine!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — January 28, 2011 at 12:55 am

Negativity is the ultimate turn off in anyone!

Sally — January 28, 2011 at 1:16 am

That challenge sounds like a lot of fun – particularly since, um, I barely have any posts on my blog.

What attracts me to someone most is a great sense of humor and more importantly, wit. My husband and I laugh about the most idiotic stuff sometimes and we even say to each other, “If anyone could hear us now, they’d think we’re crazy.”

Maria Pavel — January 28, 2011 at 1:16 am

Haha, I love reading people’s answers to challenges.

I will do the challenge here too:

1. What’s going on for you this weekend?
    – Working on the internet, going to the Mall

2. Is there anything that’s an absolute turn off in someone?
    – Ugly smile

3. What attracts you to someone?
    – The character, the face, the smile, the clothing

4. Any Challenge Days you’d like to see me write about next? Opinions please!
    – You should take all the challenges you will be offered, personally I don’t have any idea at the moment but I will tell you as soon as I will have one.

Have a great day !

Best regards,

Maria

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 28, 2011 at 1:20 am

We’re having a big dinner party on Saturday, so tomorrow and Saturday, I’ll be prepping for that!

Hmmmm, deal-breakers. Stupidity is a big one for me…people who are closed-minded or judgmental of others…and the ultimate turn-on would be a good sense of humor. Without that, you’re nothing to me :-)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — January 28, 2011 at 1:24 am

I’d love to hear about places you’d like to travel. Also, future ambitions would be cool!

As for myself, I agree with a lot of what you say about attractive qualities. I’m also super attracted to confidence…probably because it’s an area I’m weaker in. Lack of confidence is a deal-breaker. I can’t deal with clinginess either, because I like my breathing room.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! — January 28, 2011 at 1:30 am

What a fun challenge! I am attracted to people who are loving, calm (probably because I’m not that calm), upbeat, energetic, love to laugh, can have fun just drinking coffee and talking, and happy!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — January 28, 2011 at 1:44 am

1. What’s going on for you this weekend?
    House hunting!

2. Is there anything that’s an absolute turn off in someone?
    An over-inflated ego.

3. What attracts you to someone?
    I am attracted to genuine people, people that I can have interesting conversations with, and people who are friendly and positive.

4. Any Challenge Days you’d like to see me write about next? Opinions please!
    I think the 30 facts one would be fun. I love to read random facts.

Ela — January 28, 2011 at 2:01 am

Wow, what a great idea! And you made me laugh out loud with the ‘dating ad’ comment. I love your list of things you’re attracted to: mine are very similar. Kindness, lovingness, a sense of proportion (i.e. willingness to let go of something that isn’t important) are big ones too.

And I loved what you said about not wanting to be dragged down by negativity and noticing how it impacts your psyche. Great comments.

I don’t think I’ll be able to take on that ‘challenge’ myself, just not in a position to blog every day right now, but I’ll definitely look forward to keeping an eye on what you share and chiming in when I can.

Have a great w/e: party prep=exciting!
    love
    Ela

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 3:36 am

your other question the other day/earlier today…why a move to WP? Yes, plan to cover that one in about a week or so :)

Hayley — January 28, 2011 at 2:14 am

Wow, some of those are actually really personal! I would love to read about what you hope for in the future. And your earliest memory. Those are some interesting things to share that shouldn’t be too heavy either :)

I am attracted to people who love life and live it to the fullest…enjoy each day and just try to be happy in the moment! That is how I strive to live my life, and I like to surround myself with these “positive energy” types.

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — January 28, 2011 at 2:34 am

Love the new blog and love the look of those raw cookie dough balls! I will have to check them out :)

ashley@quasichick — January 28, 2011 at 2:52 am

I am attracted to kind-hearted, interesting, witty people!

Alicia — January 28, 2011 at 3:15 am

What a cool challenge! My plans for the weekend are house sitting my cousins house and coaching. I made the special k bars, I found gluten free corn flakes at whole foods… all I have to say is WOW… they totally exceeded my expectations which were pretty high! I’ll be making these again and again.

Moni'sMeals — January 28, 2011 at 3:41 am

Averie this is awesome! Great challenge. By the way, I guess I am super behind but your “new” blog is rockin! It looks fantastic!

Katie — January 28, 2011 at 4:07 am

I might have to steal some of these challenge ideas when I am at a loss about what to talk about on my blog…not that that ever happens. :)

Sense of humor is the top of my list. And not boring. The sense of humor has to be of a particular kind though. Oh, and a cute butt doesn’t hurt (if I’m being honest). ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 4:29 am

i know…good for a rainy day type post when you need a lil help in the writing department. That’s what i thought! :)

Bria — January 28, 2011 at 4:16 am

Heee hee, post on #23 ;-)

Angie — January 28, 2011 at 4:16 am

I love your posts so much! I always look forward to your comments when I get home from classes! I look for a man who is genuine that knows what he wants in life and can make decisions and not second guess himself. A man has to be confident yet not cocky and witty with a dash of sarcasm (uh oh i’m using food terms! LOL) I tried clicking on the raw pasta link but wouldnt work. I can’t wait to check out that recipe! :) keep up the amazing posts

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 4:28 am

ok the link…that sucks and it was working last nite and this morning, and you’re right, it’s not working now. Sorry! I sent it to my web team.

Thanks for the compliments on everything else, Angie!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 5:07 am

Fixed. Not sure if it was my error in linking it wrong or what…but it *should* be all set now :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 28, 2011 at 4:18 am

Neat post idea, a lot of content opportunities and fun facts. And more great recipe inspiration, raw zucchini noodles are a classic. I can’t wait until zucchini season is here and I can actually get ones large enough to spiralize.

1. Relax, see a basketball game since I got tickets from work and go for a long training run.
    2. Where to start? :-P How about overly cocky?
    3. Nice, good hygiene, can listen as well as talk and open-minded to start with.
    4. 10 and 23. :-)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats — January 28, 2011 at 4:24 am

I swore I would wait until zucchini season to buy a spiralizer, but I may break down before that :)

Catherine — January 28, 2011 at 4:56 am

I started a mini blog to show my out-of-town sister how I make recipes she wants to try … Anyway today I made the Raw Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls then saw them in your post! I had forgotten how awesome these cookies are, as I used to make the RFC version alot a few years back. (I also blogged making your Raw Caramels).

A deal-breaker? Definitely personal hygiene. I am of the opinion that to truly live another one must first love one’s self. There are other but this is honestly high up on my list.

Attraction? The mind. Someone who holds beliefs, opinions or ideas that are so unusual or unexpected to have me stop and say What??! I love having my own beliefs and ideas challenged.

Thanks for the food for thought :)

hippierunner — January 28, 2011 at 6:20 am

I know this is belated but I LOVE the new site/look! SO awesome!! I laughed when I read that line after the list of qualities!

I am attracted to people who are honest, can see humor in everything, thoughtful and considerate of others, kind and quick at thinking and figuring things out. All of the challenges look so interesting; can’t wait to see more!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — January 28, 2011 at 3:40 am

i am so with you on the positive spirit! i need to be surrounded by positive people or else life just isn’t as fun>..! i try to be positive about so many things after learning how horrible and life ruining negativity really is!

kate@ahealthypassion — January 28, 2011 at 6:05 am

what a cool challenge, its always great to sit down and really think about questions like that, you learn a lot about yourself in the process !

sara — January 28, 2011 at 6:11 am

i think i’ll do this challenge too!
    i agree with you about a positive attitude being so attractive! it’s hard to be around people who complain day in and day out especially if they aren’t trying to change things for the better. i like people who are enthusiastic, like having new experiences, and don’t just let life pass them by. funny, dorky, and smart are other good qualities. deal-breaker? racism, homophobia.
    have a great weekend!

ashley — January 28, 2011 at 6:58 am

I have never ever had tofu! I just salivate looking at your recipes though! I don’t have a tofu press- and honestly the draining/cooking process seems daunting to me? I have no clue why? Any suggestions?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

then just press it between two heavy objects,i.e cookbooks, and drain as much water as you can. slice, cook. Not daunting at all !

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 28, 2011 at 8:54 am

Those are the most important qualities in a man! I have an *incredible* picky list. And if the guys didn’t fit one or two of the criteria..the relationship just wasnt going to work out. Not in a bitchy way or anything, but I came from a really abusive relationship and didn’t want to waste my time with a guy that rose any red flags. MY dad always said “that’s ok, because nobody will be good enough for my little girl.” hahaha ;) But eventually, I did. :)

Krista — January 28, 2011 at 11:19 am

My boy is 9 today so this weekend is all about him! We’re taking him and some friends to a hockey game tonight, 5 of his teammates are coming over tomorrow, then dinner and a movie.

One big turn off for me is lack of self confidence. I get really annoyed when people fish for compliments!

Beth — January 30, 2011 at 5:47 am

Love the idea of the 30 day challenge.

My weekend plans include: baking, snowshoeing, and quality time with my hubby.

Turn off / deal breaker: smoking / drug use; dishonesty; self abuse; abuse of others (physical or emotional)

Attracts: positive or sunny outlook; generosity with time, ideas, and self; self care; creativity; spontaneity; sense of peace

I’m catching up on posts, so you may already have done some of these:
    2 – Where you would like to be in 10 years
    07 – Zodiac sign
    08 – A moment you felt the most satisfied with your life
    13 – Somewhere you would like to move or visit
    25 – Someone who fascinates you and why
    29 – Goals for the next 30 days

Looking forward to seeing which ones you do next.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 30, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I am attracted to intelligence and quirkiness.

That challenge is fun!!!

Blair Imperial — February 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I simply want to tell you that I’m beginner to weblog and really enjoyed your web-site. Most likely I’m likely to bookmark your blog . You definitely have incredible stories. Thank you for revealing your web site.