Food Or Other Things, Big Ticket Items

Housekeeping detail that I am so proud to announce: All Links have been restored and the pathways are correct!  No more Page Not Found errors!

So if you were desperate for a recipe in the past 48 hours (I got quite  few panicky emails from people in dire need of recipes), or had Yoga FAQs, or wanted to see some Popular Posts or Workouts, everything has been restored.  Ahhh. You don’t even know how happy this makes me.  Thank you, Dustin and Jenn!  I bow down to them and kiss their feet.   They are The Best!

Remember when I reorganized my pantry?

Well the things I totally forgot I had gifts just keep coming.  Like these Brad’s Raw Chips.

Hidden treasures like an un-worn Bebe Shirt and MAC makeup galore probably excite me more than chips, but hey, it’s always exciting to find things I forgot about.

These are tasty and if you like Cheeze-I’s or Doritos, you could maybe pretend you’re eating one of those with these.  Not really, but ya know, I’m trying to find the silver gluten-free lining because I loved both Cheeze-Its and Doritos when I was growing up.

I can definitely taste the garlic and scallions in them.  For me, that’s not great because I am not a fan of garlic and onions.  But if you’re looking for a GF Vegan cracker or chip, other than say a Mary’s Cracker, these are good.  They are far lighter and less dense than a Mary’s, too.

Or just make your own crackers….

Vegan GF Crackers

Vegan GF Crackers i.e. Homemade Mary’s Crackers!
Or, if chips are your thing…
Try Raw Vegan Kale Chips
Raw Vegan Kale Chip Recipe
And if you like Cheeze-It’s or Doritos, you’ll probably like…
“Spicy Doritos” Cheezy Dip
“Spicy Doritos” Cheezy Dip

From my Sights Around Here post…

and Being Silent, or not. Many of you said you struggle with being silent.  And that you explain yourself and talk in circles many times when really, you wish you could just have more golden silence moments.

And being pyschic, as I mentioned, I am and some of you said you are too.  Cool, maybe we can get together and have a premonition that I’m going to win the lottery.

Dessert: Vegan GF Peanut Butter Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies with Peanut Flour

I love the semi-translucent parts.  That’s where the Peanut Flour + Butter + Sugar turned into a mouthgasmic experience.
Vegan GF Peanut Butter Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies with Peanut Flour

Questions

1. How’s your week been going?  Anything new or exciting?

To say my life has been full,  and full of “new and exiting things” is an understatement of epic proportions.

The Blog Move and all the behind the scenes glitches that have come with it but that are mostly done.  It’s totally worth it for me to have moved.  I love blogging from WordPress, I love my new blog, all of you seem happier with the page load times and layout, but just getting to this point has been “new and exciting”.   Like a new glitch around every corner. Remember that Wine & Whine Post.  Yeah.

And work has been really busy for me.

Of course, family life and being a mother, wife, head chef, lead dishwasher, and the best toilet bowl scrubber around keeps things “exciting”!

Seriously though, it’s all good.  I’d rather have my life be full of exciting things and stay busy.

2. What would you be more excited to find: Food or Other Things?
It kind of depends on the food for me.  I would be more excited to find cookies than I would be to find my old CD collection from 2005.

But I’d be more excited to find $10 bucks stashed in the pocket of jeans or a MAC lip gloss I forgot about I than I would be to find a bag of chips in the back of the cupboard.  Just being honest.

Would you be more excited to find food or something else?  Or would it be a case-by-case basis?

3. When it comes to gifts or shopping for yourself, do you prefer to buy one big really awesome thing, or many smaller (less expensive) things?

Hard call because sometimes that one really big item is totally worth it.

But other times I think, well would I really use, say a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer enough to justify buying one?

Or, would I rather have 10 other smaller things like new coffee mugs, a new shirt from F21, restock my ‘good’ shampoo and conditioner, etc.  Because I could buy a lot of little things for the same price.

But in the end, I would probably remember the Stand Mixer and the other things would be forgotten about.

Are you of the One Big Ticket Item or the Spread it Around mentality?

43 Responses to “Food Or Other Things, Big Ticket Items”

CathyK — January 27, 2011 at 11:41 am

yippee! so happy for you that your glitches are now a thing of the past…you must feel so relieved! all looks good from this reader’s standpoint!
    i am more of a small item fan than big-ticket item person…i’ve made too many purchases of expensive items that i then end up regretting…lessons learned!
    i just made my own crackers this week for the first time – so easy! not gluten free or raw, but way better than a triscuit or saltine! i do like mary’s crackers, but you’re right, they’re really dense.
    enjoy that sunshine!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — January 27, 2011 at 11:53 am

Finding things definitely is a case-by-case deal. Cash is usually the best thing to find, followed by lost items…I found my scale in a pile of sheets and blankets last night, and even though I rarely use it, I completely forgot I even had one here. Discovering NEW foods at WF or TJ’s is also awesome, though. I’ll never forget the excitement of discovering coconut butter or new Lara flavors :)

I like big-ticket items. I’ve said it before, but I have expensive taste…let me loose in a store with no price tags and I’d fall in love with the most pricey item anyway. I like to buy beautiful (or durable) things that will last forever!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 27, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I figured it was Jenn working on the site! It looks beautiful!

maria @ Chasing the Now — January 27, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I prefer having small things to buy for myself. The more the merrier, right? :) Really it’s just the small stuff that makes me happy!

As for finding food or other stuff, it depends on what the food is!

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — January 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I like buying a bunch of little things-makes you feel like you accomplished more:) BUT if it’s a big thing that you’ve been dying for-i’m ok with that, haha.
    I looooove food shopping, end of story.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm

:mrgreen: So happy that everything is finally done with the move!!

Brad’s crackers look awesome. I actually like garlic and onion!

Baking 'n' Books — January 27, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Looks fantastic! I wish those crackers were around here…they kind of look of Doritoes ;)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Score on those chips. They look fantastic. I wish I had some to go with my salad for lunch now ;-) It depends on the gifts. Sometimes I prefer to do more of a gift bag/basket based on a theme. I feel like I can get the person more things that way. Like for my sis for Christmas, she got a wine themed bag with wine tools, gift card for some fancy glasses (as they were out when I went to get them) and wine.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Ha, I rarely find food that I’ve forgotten about…but I get SUPER excited when I find an old lipgloss in my winter coat pockets!

Eliz@The Sweet Life — January 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Congrats on getting your website back to normal–it looks great!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm

mm those crackers do look good but I would MUCH rather have your homemade ones and your kale chips!!!! I am dying to make them to look like yours (sadly with no dehydrator)

I think I may be more excited to find things? i was cleaing the other day and found some things in my house that I havent seen in YEARS! old clothing that I loved, some pictures, I sat around for an hour looking and reminiscing! I can get and find food anytime, but memories and things like that don’t come along too often!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — January 27, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I’m glad all of your links work again :) What a headache, but it seems like everything is back to 100%, right?

My week is going good — so glad tomorrow is Friday! Jason and I are going out of town and I can’t wait to just relax and enjoy the time!

I definitely like to find non food things — like finding all of those old cards and letters I have gotten from Jason over the years — or even notes from friends in high school. I love to reminisce!

Sabina — January 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Hey Lady!

My week has been busy. New things? Well, they’re food related:

– cooked whipped banana steel cut oats for the 2 of us for breakfast and they were a hit (Hubby’s never had them before)
    – cooked a whole chicken in the slow cooker and it turned out very well and made for an easy, work night meal
    – wearing a new skirt (paid $13 for it instead of its regular price of… $75!!) for the first time :-D

Honestly, I’d be more excited to find something other than food (clothing, money, a stuffed animal, photos). We’re really good with our food purchases, so there’s not much chance of forgetting about food and discovering it later (I don’t receive food promos). :-)

Shopping habits: If it’s a big awesome thing, it’s planned and budgeted for before it’s purchased. I’m not much of an impulse buyer.

have a great thursday!

sabina

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — January 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I have the hardest time spending more than $50 at one time on myself. And I never buy big ticket items. I usually buy cookbooks and makeup and clothes–the little things that add up.
    P.S. My new camera arrives tonight via my parents!! I’m so excited. :-)

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel — January 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I would say i’m more of a spread it around person than a big ticket item. I am sucha scrooge with my money that i am sure i would have such a difficult time letting go of a big chunk of that for a big ticket item. hmmm and i think i would get more excited about finding deals on other things like clothing or yoga accessories etc. than food. altho i definitely get excited with frugal food finds. but other things tend to last longer and thats probably why i get more excited for them. cool questions. hope your day is starting off mighty fabulous my dear. miss talkin to ya. XOXO <3

Catherine — January 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Finding food I forgot about in a cupboard somewhere? This has NEVER happened to me!!! Okay, not entirely true – sometimes I find jars of random spices at the back but that’s not a wonderful surprise to snack on, it’s usually a stale or funky ‘oooops’. Now cash, I enjoy finding so much that I’ll even stick a 5 or 10 in a random place when I’m feeling flush so I will have the pleasure of discovering the unexpected in the future :)

I wish I could be a big ticket item gal since I would love a VitaMix but have never been able to drop 400 dollars in one shot on something like a blender, regardless of how much I would use it etc. I prefer to get 10 new things I’m excited about even if they will provide only short term gratification.

I want to add I made your Raw Vegan Caramels and they are little balls of melt in my mouth goodness… Mmmmmm fantastic! Thank you for sharing your recipe.. I’m already thinking hmmm cacao nibs in here would rock – I always loved those little plastic wrapped caramel cubes that must have been pure corn syrup, glucose syrup and hydrogenated cottonseed oil or something all stuck in my teeth.

I’m new to blogs but it seems everyone knows ‘switching over’ is lots of work so I’ll say congrats on the move too :)

rebecca lustig — January 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm

whoa, juust checking out the new blog layout now and i LOVE it. so sophisticated!!

Tina — January 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I always love finding new health food goodies from the health stores! Luckily I rarely ever loose anything, but I do misplace things once in a while (yes, I think there is a difference! LOL), but its always nice to find something you’ve been looking for but coudn’t find. I think I would prefer several smaller things as opposed to one big gift. I don’t like the feeling of spending a ton of money on just ONE thing. Oddly enough, I’ve been known to get more excited over small gifts (like a pair of cute socks) than over larger gifts.

Avery (Young Aspirations) — January 27, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Yayyy! I’m so excited to finally be able to see your new blog! It looks SO great!! :)

chocolatecoatedrunner — January 27, 2011 at 5:13 pm

1. My week is going good- hung out with the boyfriend, running, olive garden, mall, gym, class, tanning, an hung out with my friend
    2. I’d rather find clothes, money, and accessories :)
    3. I’d prefer one big thing

Have a good day

Melissa — January 27, 2011 at 5:28 pm

congrats on being glitch free…I’ve simply changed my blog header and that was frustrating enough..so huge kudos to you for making it through the switch!

This week has been pretty low key but that’s okay, I’ll take it! Working out, reading,working,studying, cleaning, cooking…the norm:)

I would way rather find money than food…finding 20 bucks in a jacket or jeans is so awesome!!

As for buying one big expensive item or a few cheaper ones…well for clothes it’s usually buying more cheaper things but for things I consider big (computer, electronics, household appliances) well I would rather save up and get one really great thing that will last more than a year!

Have a great day!

Allison @ Happy Tales — January 27, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I bet I would love those chips.. i love garlic AND onion… mmm makes for some pretty breath, haha :)

My week is going good so far! Had my first biostatistics course for my graduate school course, and I ended up doing pretty well for me! 91% for this non-math oriented girl :)

Alisa Fleming — January 27, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up on those chips, I hadn’t heard of them! And I love garlic and onions :)

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but I get your email subscription, and it always shows up with a different post, and when I click on it, I get a 404 message. Hmm, I’ll try signing up on this “new” blog specifically. That may fix it now that I think about it.

I’d always rather find money of course, but food is good! I really just buy things on an as needed basis for myself, so I guess it would be smaller items. I always think about buying something big as a treat, but it never happens.

Beth — January 27, 2011 at 6:18 pm

My hubby has discovered how good Mary’s Crackers are. Looks like we will be making our own crackers if we are both going to be eating them.

“best toilet bowl scrubber” Love that!

Case by case basis for finds. Mostly I’m happy whenever I rediscover things that I had forgotten about or misplaced.

Bought a pair of snowshoes after Christmas. Granted, they were on sale, and tax free, so that brought down the cost. Have been having a great time with them on the weekends, so I’m happy I bought a higher end pair. Much better than an assortment of smaller items – at the moment that is ;)

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — January 27, 2011 at 6:27 pm

ahhh YOUR peanut flour cookies look DIVINE.. i honestly cannot fault anything you make Averie- you are a culinary GENIUS!!!!!

Christin@purplebirdblog — January 27, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I’ve wanted to try those raw chips, but the price tag always stops me. I can (and do, often!) make my own delectable chips for so much less!!

Helen — January 27, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I love finding new things, or old things that have been forgotten. I usually find more food items than anything else, which isn’t very often. As far as getting one big vs. lot’s of little – it depends on what I am wanting and how bad. Take that kitchen aid mixer for example. That baby will be mine next weekend. I have wanted one for a while. Well J.C. Penney’s is having a two day sale, I have about 3 coupons I can use, so that lovely little addition will be mine for around 130$…gotta get it! Or my Tom’s shoes – I really wanted another pair of those so I opted to spend the majority of my Christmas money for that one purchase as opposed to a day of shopping; however, for my birthday I wanted more little things than one big. I guess it changes with me :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 27, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Yum, the chips look great, I’d love the garlic and onion flavors. And more great snack ideas here.

1. Long, can’t wait for the weekend! It’s been a good week though.
    2. Depends, food is exciting, but so is a huge wad of money.
    3. Depends on what I want, last year I got lots of little things for Christmas and that was awesome. This year a new camera and that was awesome too. :-)

Mel — January 27, 2011 at 7:21 pm

1. Yes! I just started Nursing School and I finally figured out how to take Blood Pressure correctly :-) Yippy!!
    2. Food!
    3. Small things. I would like to have better willpower, but I find that sometimes I need a latte or a snack when I’m out and that ends up being all my “extra” income- just to clarify I dont’ buy lattes out a lot, but I pretty much get $10 extra bucks per week so there it goes!

bitt — January 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I have to say I broke my tooth on a mary’s cracker and I’ll never eat them again! anything softer is a huge plus for me. I’ve had mixed experience with Brad’s. One time they were stale but it probably was the store’s fault.

Usually don’t like to buy much except small things but if I really have my heart set on something big I’ll get it. For Christmas I usually get a bunch of smaller things and it’s more fun to open.

I never really “find” food, I guess my cabinets are not that big! One time I found a macaroon in the freezer that I forgot about and that was a score. Otherwise of course I’d rather find money.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — January 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

there’s no chip out there that I love more than the dehydrated “nacho cheeze” kale chip….nothing.

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine — January 27, 2011 at 9:26 pm

the cookies look awesome! Need to get myself some peanut flour.
    I would rather find “other things” than food! Of course, it’s always fun to find food- but I love when I find a piece of jewelry or a nailpolish I had forgotten about!

Eleanor — January 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I love the new blog! Especially because I can read it all now; my computer used not to be able to display the old one properly for some reason (it did the same with Mary at Bites And Bliss) but now I can read everything! :-)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — January 27, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I prefer small things. I bought some new notebooks for school and it made me happy- it’s really the little things in life!

Tracey @ I'm not Superhuman — January 27, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I love the new site! I was a bit confused for a while when all of your posts in my Reader were old, but now I see you got a total makeover. Gorgeous!

lauren @ spiced plate — January 27, 2011 at 10:50 pm

those chips look sooo yummy — I don’t think they have them in my area, though :(

Ela — January 27, 2011 at 10:57 pm

You’re probably going to do this anyway, but I for one would _love_ to hear your thoughts and comparisons at some point on blogger vs. wordpress: of course, I’m very curious as to why you made the move, but as I said, it really does look great.

I don’t know that there’s much new here this week, just getting better at ice-driving and trying to catch up with work.

For me, finding goodies like that would have to be case-by-case. Mostly ‘things’ would probably be more exciting than food (because I usually know what all we have food-wise!)

Big-ticket items: I’m so glad I got my Vitamix! But most of the time I prefer to avoid those big spends…
    love
    Ela

ashley@quasichick — January 28, 2011 at 2:53 am

I like to buy lots of little things-makeup, shoes, clothes, jewelry, ktichen gadgets and fun food items…I feel like I get more when I do it that way

Fix-Runtime-Error-429 — January 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Keep up the good work. Your site was informative.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I like to buy a bunch of smaller things … there are usually no big ticket items that I really want.

Saltwater Aquarium — February 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Nice post. Thought, i have a problem. I am trying to see your site on my Iphone, i dpn;t know what’s the problem. I see only the first page. Thx.