Friday Foods, Eating Out or Not

TGIF!  What’s going on for you this weekend?

I hope to get in plenty of time outside

And take some time to stop and smell the roses

I’d like to take some time in the kitchen and create. I love just creating.  It’s therapeutic for me to just make things in the kitchen for the sake of making them.  And I never thought I’d say that!

The best thing I created yesterday was a big salad

Kale, field greens, raw brock and cauli, carrots

Dressed with Vegan Slaw Dressing

I slather anything and everything with that dressing and I am not sick of it yet.  It’s a food groove, not a rut.

And I had some Sesame Ginger Maple Tofu on the side

For Snacktime, I made some “Baked” Pumpkin Pie Bananas

And for Dessert, I had two Vegan Gluten Free Rice Krispie Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

I keep a stash in the freezer.  I like them semi-frozen.  So good that way!

From my last post on the 30 Day Challenge and my thoughts on Attraction, glad you liked it!

It was great fun to hear your thoughts about what attracts you to someone.  And your turnoffs and dealbreakers, too.  Bad breath, bad hygiene, and lying were repeat offenders.

And it was great to hear what you what Day from the Challenge you’d like me to take on next.

Questions

1. What’s going on for you this weekend?

Working, party planning, working out, errand running, time with my family, while enjoying the weather.  Low 70s during the day and sunny.  Gotta love San Diego!

2. What are your Friday Foods so far?

I posted some of my Friday foods for you.  Which happened to actually be consumed on Thursday.  But who’s counting.

Or do you have anything in the oven or any dinners out planned for Friday night or the weekend?

3. Going out to eat.  A fan or not?

No dinners out for me these days.  I am working on checking off Item #1 on my 2011 Intentions and until that is done, no dinners out!

Not to mention, I prefer food kept simple, fresh, straightforward, and without lots of added salt, garlic, onions, gluten, or shellfish cross contamination.

If I am going to eat simply, I’d rather just do it at home than pay to eat simple food out.  I know what I like and what I don’t, and at this point, it’s easier for me, and preferred, to cook at home.  I can’t believe I just admitted I prefer to cook and eat at home, but I kinda do.  Not always, but usually.

I do like going out for drinks and just having fun!

Like This Night (and I also talked about Picky Eaters)

Or Sushi & Drinks Out

Or Mexican & Drinks out

It’s more about going out and being social and having fun out, than it is about the food when out.  If somebody else is buying, I’d love to go out with you!

Have a great start to your weekend!

65 Responses to “Friday Foods, Eating Out or Not”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 28, 2011 at 3:33 am

We do enjoy going out to it, but limit ourselves to once per week. That seems to work for us.

We’ve got lots of home improvement projects for us this weekend :)

Have a great weekend Averie :)

Laura@keepingslimandgettingstylish — January 28, 2011 at 3:34 am

I used to enjoy eating out but that was before I started cooking more for myself. Now the food I tend to get when out rarely is as nice as what I can make for myself at home (and costs a fortune!) I must try and make that salad dressing some time, I can’t get enough of raw salads at the moment!

CathyK — January 28, 2011 at 3:35 am

i prefer eating in, too – like you, i know what i like and i like how/what i prepare…plus i just don’t enjoy spending $50-$100 on a meal…that’s a lululemon item right there! (haha, priorities!).
    have a great weekend, averie!

maria @ Chasing the Now — January 28, 2011 at 3:44 am

I like eating out from time to time, but truthfully in Japan I would rather cook at home. That way I know I am getting something good for me and something I like, too.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 4:02 am

yes, isnt that the truth!

• Maria @ Chasing the Now replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 4:18 am

In japan it’s often considered very rude to just try something and not finish it. I’m not the kind of person who can just grin and bear food I don’t like. That means I often eat plain, boring meals at restaurants anyway. I’d rather cook at home than pay for that!

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — January 28, 2011 at 3:53 am

Your pics look awesome!!!!
    I have no plans as of yet (except Sunday-celebrating my cousins bday)…we go out to eat a lot on the wknd (I’d like to change that)…I don’t mind if we’re eating at a good place, but a lot of times it’s not my choice!

ashley@quasichick — January 28, 2011 at 3:57 am

I love “it’s not a food rut its a food groove” That is so true, when you find something that is yummy and works…stick with it :) I need to try bananas with pumpkin pie spice!! I have a really busy weekend, its my youngest daughter’s bday..she is turning 4..I am kind of emotional…Eating out is such a burden to me..there are NO healthy rest. in my neck of the woods and it makes it extremely difficult!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 28, 2011 at 5:02 am

Cooking is therapeutic for me too! Honestly, I like going out every now and then, but more and more, I just prefer cooking at home and staying in. It’s cheaper, it’s MUCH more relaxing, and you can control what goes into your food (and what DOESN’T!!).

lauren @ spiced plate — January 28, 2011 at 5:04 am

I’m loving the pumpkin pie spice sprinked on the bananas!
    Since I’m a gluten free vegetarian who can’t have too much cheese, it’s really hard for my husband and I to go out (luckily, he’s GF too)…and also, it’s a financial decision.
    We did recieve a gift certificate to our favorite vegetarian restaurant (where we had our first date!) for the holidays that we’re going to use on the 3 year anniversary of our first date next friday…I’m very much looking forward to it…when you don’t eat out hardly ever, it makes it quite a big treat!

So far I’ve had cheesy veggies for breakfast…yum!

Tina — January 28, 2011 at 5:06 am

Going out to eat is nice considering you don’t have to worry about cooking or do dishes, but there are not many vegan/vegetarian friendly places by me. Actually, I can only think of 1. There are a lot of healthy places in NYC but its a 40min train ride for me so we don’t do that very often. Even if I could eat out all the time, I wouldn’t. I agree with you on liking my food clean and simple. If I am eating at a place that isn’t 100% vegetarian/vegan I always stress out about cross-contamination. So it’s homecooking for me!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 28, 2011 at 5:32 am

Gorgeous flower pics. This weekend is kind of busy as we have a housewarming to go to tomorrow night and I was asked to bring some veggie options and I have some training runs to get in. As for eating out. Love/Hate for me. Typically there is nothing around here worth paying the money for and it’s almost never really all that healthy. However, there’s something nice to just sit out somewhere and chill. No worries, no kitchen duty, just sit back with the hubs, people watch, chit chat.

Erica — January 28, 2011 at 5:50 am

Hey! pretty pictures :) I am hoping to spend a good chunk of time outside this weekend too! Mid 60’s in Charleston (whoop!). Other than that- getting my hair done tomorrow and hopefully a date night with Josh tonight. I like to go out to eat once a week. Its nice to have someone make up your food and for you to just relax! I love cooking, but a break is a fabulous thing.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — January 28, 2011 at 5:53 am

I like to go out for drinks — but for dinner? not too much. I just seem to have a sensitive stomach to restaurant food — I don’t know if it is the seasonings or what. So to save money we usually eat at home.

This weekend – Jason and I are taking a mini trip to a hotel for the weekend — just to relax and rewind. I can’t wait! I have most of our food all packed up, so we won’t be going out to eat too much. I’d rather splurge on a nice hotel room and eat our same old stuff.

PS I’m glad you agree about the creepy eye contact folks!

Nathan — January 28, 2011 at 6:10 am

Just found your blog a few weeks ago! Amazing, so creative, and love to see someone who loves/strives to eat as close to the earth as we do here in cold Indiana! But I prefer to know WHAT is in my food, and HOW it is prepared…therefor going out to eat for us is only exceptions and the kitchen is my second favorite place to be besides running my daily 5 miles outside! Have a great weekend!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 28, 2011 at 6:19 am

mmm your snacks look so good!!!i would die for a frozen special K bar right now haha

I do enjoy going to dinner once in a while, but its usually just once a week. I prefer eating breakfast the way I make it and genrealyl the food the way I make it but once in a while its nice to enjoy a great dinner out :)

Susan — January 28, 2011 at 6:38 am

It’s ten o clock, and so far I’ve polished off 3 cups of coffee, a bowl of cereal and banana, an apple, and some almonds. Off to a good start I’d say.

And I don’t really like going out to eat unless the restaurant is special. I don’t feel like paying mucho dinero for a salad or sandwich I could make at home, ya know? But if it’s a special occasion and the company is great, then I don’t really care about the food aspect – I’m there!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — January 28, 2011 at 6:46 am

I like going out for Mexican food. It’s my fave.
    This weekend, my parents, sister, and nieces are here to celebrate my oldest son’s birthday a week early. I’m cooking Baked Linguine tonight and making a big salad to go with it. And I’m going to try to learn how to use my new camera.

Virginia @ YtotheUmmy — January 28, 2011 at 6:49 am

Ugh, I love the *concept* of eating out (something to look forward to, out of the ordinary, someone makes my food for me, etc.) but actually eating out is often so hard/disappointing that it’s not exactly something i get particularly excited about….super frustrating! being mostly vegan definitely has it’s ups and its downs…

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses — January 28, 2011 at 6:51 am

We try to eat out only once a week…but sometimes it is necessary for me to get out of the house. I love my kitchen time…but not so much the clean up time. :) haha

Have a great weekend!

tamara — January 28, 2011 at 6:59 am

We go out once a week with my parents…sometimes on Friday nights to something simple like Atlanta Bread Company or Moes(easy to find vegetarian stuff there) or after church on Saturday night to “nicer” places…Fuddruckers(hello veggie burgers!), Thai or Caribbean style. This Saturday we’re going out to celebrate Hubby’s Birthday!

Besides my normal weekend of cleaning and cooking for the week, I’m going to a bridal show with my mom(for my sister’s wedding, not mine….I’m not planning to commit bigamy!!)…and running/yoga as usual!

Maryann — January 28, 2011 at 7:12 am

Lately I don’t enjoy going out to eat as much, I’m a picky eater and everything I want to eat is at home! It is definitely fun to go out to eat every once in a while for the social aspect though! Tomorrow I get to workout with skinnyrunner and a celeb trainer! So excited :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — January 28, 2011 at 7:15 am

I like eating out, but I’m trying to cut back. I’ve only been twice this month and it was because I was on vacation. It gets so expensive!

Katie — January 28, 2011 at 7:17 am

I haven’t told you yet, but I LOVE your new site! So sleek and cute!

I just ate Thai-style huevos rancheros for breakfast. Pretty much amazing.

We go out to eat a lot… it adds up, but it’s one of my greatest pleasures so I enjoy it a lot!

Katie — January 28, 2011 at 7:40 am

I think my food tastes better than restaurant food. :) But, for things I won’t make at home (the occational burger, sushi, etc) I go out. I love sushi and I’ll make veggie rolls at home, but I don’t do the raw fish thing. I taught parasitology a few years ago, so I am scared.

I’m working all weekend. I just found out what I will be teaching for my interview….let’s just say I need to learn it before I can teach it! Ugh.

dragonmamma/naomi — January 28, 2011 at 7:42 am

Hi, I’m not dead, I’ve just been busy working all week. Drat, they’ve decided that I’m already indispensable! They wanted me to work today, too, but I said no. (Sheesh, I was only scheduled to work 12 hours this week!) I like the job, but I really do need a day off.

Anyway…just came back from my workout, now the rest of the day will be a combo of catching up on housework and food prep, and going out to shop at my beloved thrift stores.

We rarely eat out. No point in using all my spare time earning extra money only to blow it on eating out because I don’t have time to cook.

Jamie — January 28, 2011 at 7:52 am

I’ve been a reader for a while now and I absolutely LOVE the new look!!! And the recipes on the side!! and the font! Averie is awesome :)

Cara — January 28, 2011 at 8:12 am

Hey Averie, TGIF! I am so happy for the weekend. I’ve got a girls’ day with my mom planned for tomorrow, and we’re checking out our city’s Best Chef Competition on Sunday (so yeah, I am all about eating out – but just once in a while, certainly not all the time!)

Hope you have a great one. xo.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) — January 28, 2011 at 8:26 am

not really a fan of going out to dinner.. when I do its usually a special occasion, and I like to stick to organic/local places!

Anne — January 28, 2011 at 8:50 am

I just had a friday snack at work: mixed salad greens with baked butternut squash pieces, pecans and hazelnut oil. I don’t know where hazelnut oil has been all my life, but it’s sure in it now! I was probably too cheap, it’s dang expensive, but I’m still doing my year-long, elimination diet marathon, and I felt like getting myself something special – and “safe”. I’m keeping it here at work to cheer up lunch- and snack-boxes, it gives ANYthing a slight taste of…nutella? Mmmm. Further friday plans? I’m having a steaming mug of roasted dandelion-root coffee with hot nutmilk when I get home tonight – haha, I’ve never felt like a bigger hippie than since when I started drinking this (yesterday) but I’m ruling green tea out (major sob – this is the equivalent of you kicking coffee) in the name of elimination diets as well.

I love eating out, but it’s stressfull knowing that there might be a (digestive) price to pay, so I’m saving eating out for special occasions. Plus – eating home, it’s a bit like watching a movie at home and having the luxury of going to make a cuppa tea (err…dandelion coffee) right in the middle, when you’re at home you can adjust the course mid-meal too :-)

Good for you, keeping your eyes on the prize with the 2011 goals/intentions! I hope you get there fast :-). I just got a (minor) salary bump, and I’m already comtemplating spoiling myself with some new drawing equipment – never mind that the money doesn’t roll in until next month, hehe…give me some of your resolve, aaargh! :-)

Christin@purplebirdblog — January 28, 2011 at 9:15 am

We definitely go out to eat much less than we used to as we’re both a little on the broke side right now! I am also a lot choosier on where we eat out these days. Used to be we’d go to Chili’s no problem, but now if I eat there I kind of feel like my insides have taken a salt bath, ugh!

Angie — January 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

SO far my friday foods are: Yogurt 1/2 cup of Meandgoji.com cereal (CEREAL you can CREATE on your own!!!) 60 calorie dark chocolate pudding and some apple slices! :)

cameo — January 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

Friday foods; quinoa porridge, apple & almonds, salad with lean grilled steak! Tonight I am going out to a gourmet, raw, vegan restaurant called Pure Food & Wine in celebration of my Bday. I like dining out a lot, but I hate processed food, fried food, food lacking nutritional value, or generally not fresh or delicious. I don’t mind spending the $ for a great experience – but I try and go places with organic and local ingredients, and keep it to a couple times a month. Generally I prefer eating at home though, like you said, it’s easier. I can whip up my preferred concoctions and feel good about what I am eating. Weekend plan: Making my boyfriend take YOGA with me! I have been trying to drag him along for years.

• bitt replied: — January 28th, 2011 at 11:20 am

Pure food and wine is the best! Enjoy it.

bitt — January 28, 2011 at 11:20 am

My husband and I do enjoy eating out. It forces us to talk more and slow down with our eating. We also get to try new foods. It’s a chance to be social with others; I can’t handle hosting a dinner party, but I can go out with friends to eat. We don’t go out much, but when we do we support the vegetarian restaurants in the area and the healthy places to eat. Chris loves it so much and it gives us a chance not to clean up dishes for once. I realize you think it’s costly, and it is if you do it too much. However we don’t spend money on much else that’s a treat and again, it’s a chance to get together with others.

mi-an dela cruz — January 28, 2011 at 11:40 am

love that salad monster you made. my lunch today includes massaged kale (in olive oil), tomatoes, cucumber and pears, red quinoa, s&p and red wine vinegar. can’t wait to devour it.
    also pineapple with cottage cheese for dessert. i like going out to eat sometimes but i’m just like u, i love cooking and creating in the kitchen. :)

my weekend will include sleeping in, hot yoga, jogging, watching movies and cooking. can’t wait! happy friday!

Jen — January 28, 2011 at 11:50 am

So that’s what sunshine looks like, it’s been awhile since the sun has been out around here! Have a great weekend :)

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy — January 28, 2011 at 11:51 am

Your beautiful pictures make me even more ready for Spring and Summer!! I’m ready for some pretty flowers!! :)

Ela — January 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Happy w/e to you. It warms my heart that you are in touch with the delight of creating in the kitchen! I haven’t done much ‘fun’ food prep for about a week, so am really hoping to do so this w/e too. Have some homemade split pea soup in the crockpot all ready to go, though, and have some plans for some broccoli and cauliflower and sweet potatoes in the wings.

I far prefer eating food I fixed myself to eating out, for many of the same reasons as you.
    love
    Ela

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) — January 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm

It was also one my 2011 goals to not eat out (not even Subway!) so I have been bringing my lunches to work and posting about it :)

I made some Averie inspired tofu, marinated in honey teriayki sauce and I loved re-heating them and putting them on a sandwich with veganaise, spinach & tomato – my new favorite thing!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — January 28, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I eat about one meal out per week, and I also eat one meal “carried out” or delivered per week.

Allie — January 28, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Hey Averie! I’ve been following your blog for a while and this is the first time I’ve commented. I love your perspective on food and life! What absolutely hooked me was the vegan peanut butter cups, as those were my boyfriend and I’s absolute favorite candy before we went vegan. The bananas with pumpkin pie spice look delish, I’m going to try those unbaked (no oven).
    I must say I love to eat out. I love the social aspect of it, and the ability to choose from many foods. I live in a college town so most places I go there are vegan options. I also love cooking and making my own meals. So it’s a toss-up. I don’t ever go to corporate restaurants because the food tastes disgusting to me now and I could make it at home for 70% less of what I paid for it to get the waiter.
    Much Love, Allie

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 28, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I love creating in the kitchen, too! Especially salads. Yours looks gorgeous!! :D

Rachael — January 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I’m pretty paranoid about restaurants trying to poison me (food allergies leading to extreme paranoia), but I used to enjoy going out for drinks. Alas, those days are over for now, but I’m content to accompany the boy out and happily munch away at his tortilla chips. Because salt is where it’s at right now.
    No weekend plans – pro-mountaintop removal legislation just made it to Congress so we’re swamped trying to fight it.
    Happy Friday!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Beautiful flowers! I can;’t wait until Alabama goes into bloom. :) I’m not a huge fan of eating out. I’d rather be able to make exactly what I want, how I want, and on the cheap. Unless it’s a buffet..love those!

Katie — January 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I love love love going out to eat sushi and getting drinks! sake to be exact with it : )

Your photo skills are rocking girl! Love it! Is that with the stock lens or other? I might get the other just not sure if worth it yet ; )

Happy Friday! xoxoxo

Torri — January 28, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I used to LOVE going out for dinner. Then me and the boyfriend decided to try and save money so we stopped going to all of our usual places and cooked for ourselves. Now I find that during those rare times we do end up going to one of those places they are… lackluster to say the least. I actually prefer my boyfriend’s food. Plus it’s just so expensive!

Great picture with the salad dressing in the foreground and the salad blurred in the back, looks like you are definitely getting used to your camera!

allison — January 28, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Happy TGIF..I just need to tell you I made your Rice Krispie Treats/with frosting on one of our snowdays and I HAVE NOT STOPPED!!! We love them. I have told everyone I know how good they are. I have no clue why I waited so long to make them. But the way I’ve been eating them I wish I would have never started. But what else do you do when in the Midwest heading into February you eat and eat and stay WARM! So I’m really ok with it all. haha..
    THANK YOU..MY FAMILY LOVES YOU FOR SHARING THESE WONDERFUL TREATS..

Amy@funny jokes funny — January 29, 2011 at 12:53 am

Can you provide more information on this

Beth — January 30, 2011 at 5:55 am

That green salad looks delicious. If I could take a bite through the monitor, I would :)

Snowshoeing plans have been thwarted by house related issues: new gas meter was put in yesterday (Saturday), and our furnace stopped working again. So had to hang around for the repair guy. Plans may be thwarted again, as the furnace has once again turned itself off, and the repair tech won’t be here for another 2-3 hours. Hopefully it is fixed for good this time (3 service call in 3 days). Luckily it isn’t -33C like it was earlier last week. Brrrr.

Friday foods: Green smoothie, chia seed pudding, green salad, omelet with chese & red peppers, nibbles of 90% dark chocolate.

Have bought a couple of Groupons for dinners out. Used one on Thursday for a place that does gluten free pizza & pasta. The gluten free pizza was amazing. Great crust with veg toppings. My husband had the gluten free pasta and loved it too.
    We don’t normally eat out a lot, but these Groupons have been such great deals. $20 for $40 worth of food. Then just pay the tax & tip.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm

We go out to eat a lot! I love trying new restaurants. I try to avoid chain restaurants, and stick to local gems.

Rob - Durable Goods — February 2, 2011 at 3:13 am

I think at least once in a week you should go out in some fine restaurant and eat.It is a very good experience.