Happy Birthday, Skylar!

On Sunday we celebrated Skylar’s 4th birthday!

She couldn’t stop dancing and spinning once she put that party hat on!

Her actual birthday isn’t until mid-week and on Monday we are having a kiddie-party with some of her friends but this weekend it was just Scott, her, and me.

There were a few gifts from us and her relatives

A stamping kit.  I would have loved this as a kid!  Thanks, Auntie C!

And a blankie from Grandma

Saturday I picked up these

The extras are going to her friends’ house for the kiddie party.  Pawn extra sugar off on other children.

Skylar requested a chocolate cupcake and a cookie.

And she loved every bite!

And I loved being with her!

It feels like just yesterday I was having her baby shower, which was only a mere 48 hours before I went into labor and Skylar decided to make her arrival.  She was in a hurry to make her debut in the world which left me no time to wash all those onesies I got at my shower, but I managed.

We kept Sunday simple and low key because there is still a party on Monday, and more celebrating mid-week on the actual day of.  Plus, with kids, simpler is better. The chaos and over-stimulation and sheer excess factor that I see at many children’s parties is not something I relish.  She loved it more because it was small and quiet and we could focus on each other, the few gifts she had (and more will be doled out as the week progresses)….

…and of course, she loved focusing on these

It’s amazing how much she’s grown in a year physically, mentally, and in every aspect.  Here was her 3rd Birthday from last year.

Pictures From This Post

While holding Daddy’s Hand and Grinning Ear to Ear

And more photos from This Post

It’s interesting to see what I made a year ago in that post.  It was Vegan White Chocolate Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cups

I am glad you enjoyed the Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars that I made from my last post.  Yes, those have been a hit here.  Let me know if you try them because they are so easy and fast to make.  Like 3 minutes fast and if you don’t have a microwave and prefer to heat your chocolate over the stove top, be my guest.  Deb and Charlotte already made them (using the microwave).  Thanks for the letting me know, ladies.

Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars

Dessert: If you want to make cupcakes at home, you could try Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes with White Chocolate Icing

And actually, these use pre-made brownies so they are really pulling a Sandra Lee.  Semi-homemade.

Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes with White Chocolate Icing

1. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

Celebrating Skylar’s birthday, being reminded that four years ago this week I had a baby shower, and that I gave birth to her four years ago.  She is the best thing that has ever happened to me, ever.  And ever will happen.

Ironically I have seen many blog posts this weekend about attending friend’s baby showers and I have cried some Hallmark tears.  Happy tears, of course. But as mom, watching the years pass and being marked with a birthday just make me appreciate where I’ve been, the gifts I’ve been given, and how blessed I am to have such a wonderful little girl!

2. Any memorable birthday party stories you care to share?

My 26th birthday was spent doing sunset yoga on the beach with Scott and my yoga friends.  We went inside for a vegetarian potluck and drinks.  Scott had ordered me a custom hot pink cake, and we stayed up until the wee hours with our friends talking, laughing, drinking wine, and eating cake.  It was an amazing birthday!

3. Do you use store-bought bakery items like cakes, cupcakes, or cookies?

I am a busy, full-time working mom and the time involved making cupcakes and cookies, with frosting, sprinkles, you name it, well, I have no shame in admitting I’d rather spend an hour or two at the park with her and buy store-bought cupcakes than stand in the kitchen just to say they are homemade.  She’s 4.  Who cares.  She doesn’t know the difference.

But of course, if you love to bake and have the time for it, make it from scratch at home!

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend there were:

See you later and have a great week!

90 Responses to “Happy Birthday, Skylar!”

VeggieGirl — January 31, 2011 at 2:44 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR SKYLAR!!!! Belated :D

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — January 31, 2011 at 3:04 am

Oh my goodness, tell Skylah I say Happy Big 4! She is absolutely precious! For my birthday over the summer, I made my own carrot cake and it was out of this WORLD. This weekend the best thing I ate had to be an avocado-based chocolate mousse, it was to DIE for, and I can’t wait to recreate it!! xoxox

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 31, 2011 at 3:09 am

Wow I can’t believe how much she has grown in one year!!

Lisa — January 31, 2011 at 3:28 am

Happy Birthday Skylar!
    Time flies…doesn’t it? Before you know it, she’ll be 7….
    I’d totally do the store bought stuff! Kids don’t care, and it saves you time!

CathyK — January 31, 2011 at 3:35 am

oh, enjoy your week of celebrations! we’re firm believers in birthday WEEK instead of birthDAY festivities! and yes, enjoy every moment – the time passes so quickly, children change so much.
    best thing this weekend – attending an interior design show with my friend.
    nothing wrong with store-bought treats. my mom used to make everything homemade, growing up, so store-bought WAS a real treat, when we got it! glad skylar loved her cookie and cupcake!
    have a great week with the fun activities!

Erica — January 31, 2011 at 3:38 am

Happy (almost) birthday to Skylar!!! I think its awesome that you guys have your own at home celebration with just the fam. I used to love to get art supplies like stamps and color pencils as a kid. I haven’t had one of those iced cookies since I was a kid- but I used to go crazy for them!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 31, 2011 at 3:44 am

Its amazing to see how fast she’s grown!

Happy Birthday Skylar :)

lindsay — January 31, 2011 at 3:45 am

oh sweet skylar!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! BIG HUG FROM ME! And i love all that pink and purple.

Tina — January 31, 2011 at 4:13 am

Happy Birthday to Skylar! She seems like the sweetest girl! I definitely prefer low-key birthdays. The years I tried to make extravagant plans, something always went wrong and the years that I kept it simple were much more fun!

Katie — January 31, 2011 at 4:30 am

Happy Birthday to Skylar!!!!!! How nice you, Scott, and her just celebrated at home together and then will have a kid party too! I like that, I think its nice you do it that way! We do the same thing with Anthony ; )

Those cookies are amazing! Anthony loves those! He always wants them , but I dont buy them alot because of there being so many in one package and nobody to pawn cookies on ; )

So glad she had a beautiful day celebrating with mom and dad ; )

She is grwoing up SO fast! Time flies!

Katie — January 31, 2011 at 4:31 am

* growing typo

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — January 31, 2011 at 4:39 am

YAY! Happy Birthday Skylar! She is too sweet :) I loved how you said “she’s 4. who cares. she doesn’t know the difference.” about the cupcakes. So true! In the past 3-4 years I’ve had friends who have become mommies and I can see how the pressure to be perfect in every aspect is so huge and daunting. I love hearing your thoughts and attitudes about being a working mom – my mom was the same and I hope I can be like both of you some day!

maria @ Chasing the Now — January 31, 2011 at 4:40 am

I always think your daughter looks so much older than she is! Is she tall for her age?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 31, 2011 at 5:01 am

Happy Birthday to your sweet little girl! I can’t believe how big she has gotten! It seems so strange to look back just a year ago and see how much our kids change. I know you are like me and enjoying ever single bit of it!

Angie — January 31, 2011 at 5:18 am

Happy birthday do your adorable daught Skylar, I just love her name too by the way. Birthdays I usually make sure I have some sort of Icecream cake because I’m an Ice-cream lover at heart. I usually head to Baskin Robins and get a Log Roll Ice cream cake kind of like the one here:

Hope your weekend went well and you share a wonderful week with you daughter! :) Make sure you check out my 2 week love challenge for February it make just give you an even closer relationship with Skylar What can be better than that?! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 31, 2011 at 5:20 am

Awwww, Happy Birthday Skylar!!!!!!! Birthdays are so much fun when you’re a kid– LOVE all of the pink and purple she has going on in her gifts and choice of food! :-)

Susan — January 31, 2011 at 5:21 am

Happy Birthday lovely Skylar!

She’s growing up so fast Averie!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 31, 2011 at 5:22 am

Oh happy happy birthday to Skylar. I love that you guys did just a family party like that.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — January 31, 2011 at 5:29 am

Happy Birthday, Skylar! All the treats on today’s post look so delicious. I am always drooling when I come over here. :-)

charlotte — January 31, 2011 at 5:38 am

Happy birthday sweet Skylar! And happy anniversary of the day you became a mother to you Averie!! PS. Those PB cups are delish – I made some! – but mine never turn out looking as cute as yours! Me = sloppy cook:)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 31st, 2011 at 11:50 am

i know, the day i became a mother…it takes a mother to realize the significance in that day :)

your PB cups are pretty I’m so sure of it! :)

Eliz@The Sweet Life — January 31, 2011 at 5:39 am

I really feel like we were JUST reading about her 3rd birthday! Where does the time go???

nelly — January 31, 2011 at 6:10 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY beautiful skylar!!!!!

Evan Thomas — January 31, 2011 at 6:13 am

Happy birthday to Skylar!

Mary Frances — January 31, 2011 at 6:26 am

Happy Birthday to Skylar! Averie, thanks for the quick, easy and wonderful receipe. I made these last night and me and my boyfriend loved them!!!! I work outside in the cold Colorado temperatures and I’m taking them to work for a pick me up snack. Thank you!!!!!

Peace and Light

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine — January 31, 2011 at 6:29 am

I cried some Hallmark tears during YOUR post!! You and Skylar look soooo happy (and I’m sure Scott does too!)… it’s so great that you get to spend time together as a family and that Skylar has two amazing parents who love her. She is growing up so fast too- I feel like I can almost tell a difference from post-to-post.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 31st, 2011 at 11:51 am

Awww, the fact that I made you cry too…yeah Hallmark tears are contagious I think. And she IS growing up soo fast, post to post even, i agree!

Katie — January 31, 2011 at 6:53 am

Happy birthday Skylar!!!

I went to Vegas on my 27th birthday with my 2 sisters and good friend. It was a great time, and one I remmber fondly, but not something I want to do ever again. I’m not a Vegas girl!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — January 31, 2011 at 7:23 am

Happy Birthday Skylar! My oldest son is turning 12 this Wednesday. They grow so fast don’t they?

Christin@purplebirdblog — January 31, 2011 at 7:34 am

Happy birthday sweet Skylar! She is just precious… I *love* the excitement that’s always so evident on her face!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — January 31, 2011 at 7:43 am

Happy Birthday Skylar!!!! SHe is adorable :-)

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses — January 31, 2011 at 7:44 am

Kids—they grow up sooo fast don’t they! It’s painful and joyful all at the same time. :)

I made another salad dressing *concoction* that was great this weekend!
    And this will sound creepy..but you have awesome teeth! lol

Christine @ What The Front Door?!?! — January 31, 2011 at 7:57 am

I’ve always bought baked goods at the store, and not the sort-of healthy kind either! I have a friend who bakes and she offers to make things for my parties, so I think I will take her up on it, and try to provide some of my own as well.

Moderation, though, right?

Those chocolate oat bars look amazing, I’m off to check out the recipe!!!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) — January 31, 2011 at 8:12 am

happy birthday skylar! i love to bake so usually thats what i end up doing :) best thing i ate over the weekend were collard wraps!! soo good

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats — January 31, 2011 at 8:23 am

Happy Birthday Skylar!!!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — January 31, 2011 at 8:38 am

Happy birthday to Skylar!!! I can’t believe its another year. I think her birthday last year was one of the first posts I read here. :)

And crazy bec my kiddo will be that big soon too. GAH!

Alicia — January 31, 2011 at 8:46 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to SKYLAR!!! She really has changed a lot in a year at least from what I see, I’m going to make those choc pb bars the second I get home where my gf oats are waiting! Hope she has a good bday week.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 31, 2011 at 8:52 am

Awwwe yay!! Happy Birthday, Skylar!! :D

rebecca lustig — January 31, 2011 at 9:18 am

she looks SOOO happy! happy birthday skylar :)

Robyn — January 31, 2011 at 9:34 am

Happy Birthday to Skylar! Avery, I’ve been out of internet loop for a bit and haven’t had much time to regularly read your blog but I’m LOVING the new set up!

Christina — January 31, 2011 at 9:51 am

Awe! Happy birthday Skylar!!! She’s so tall and adorable! You guys look like you had a blast, and yes pawning of extra sugary stuff on the other kids is a good thing hahahaha.

hihorosie — January 31, 2011 at 9:58 am

Awww! Happy birthday Skylar! She’s grown so much!

Beth — January 31, 2011 at 10:04 am

Happy Birthday Skylar! She is looking so grown up. Looks like everyone enjoyed the low key celebration.

Best thing on the weekend: more snuggling by the fire.
    Furnace is running, and parts are on order for permanent repair :)

I was travelling in Singapore on my birthday, back in 1995. Spent the day with my cousins, aunt & uncle. Saw the sites, did some touristy type things, as well as a wonderful dinner at a local restaurant with a special dessert for me. Still don’t know what was in the dessert, but it sure tasted great at the time. Great memories too.

Normally I don’t use / buy store bought items. However, over the holidays one of my bundt cakes flopped and I was supposed to be bringing dessert to a party. With nothing else on hand, or ready in the freezer, we swung by the grocery store on the way there. Dessert was 1 box of mandarin oranges and a small cheesecake. And me telling the story of just how badly the bundt cake exploded all over the oven. Messy stuff. Great story :)

Anne — January 31, 2011 at 10:20 am

Oh, AMEN on keeping it simple with kids. And a zillion congrats to Skylar, of course! Bought cakes? Yes of course, I don’t believe in being 100% anything. I’ll make something nice and homebaked when I feel like it, but not every time – that would feel like a chore! I try to buy something semi-okay (like low in additives, or organic) though, or something super cute that I would never have the patience to make myself anyway – like those cuteee cupcakes :-). The boyfriend got the kids these (in my eyes, haha…) disgusting store-bought dry-cakes the other day. Sigh. I think sugar is going to be a major issue if we ever have kids, hehehe. The kids loved them, though, so who am I to judge.

chocolatecoatedrunner — January 31, 2011 at 10:54 am

Happy Birthday Sklyar!! Looks like her birthday was a blast with many more good birthdays to come!

:) Michelle

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 31, 2011 at 11:01 am

Wow, 4 already!?! Adorable pics! And wow on giving birth so soon after your shower – that’s crazy!

1. Ate out and saw a great NBA game.
    2. We were supposed to have a little gathering with friends for my 30th birthday at a restaurant, but we went out the night before with the same group and drama broke out when a girl flirted with anothers husband and guys got too drunk and naughty. So only about half the friends showed up because they were either pissed at each other and/or hungover.
    3. Nope, I always make raw desserts now. I suppose I’d feel differently with kids.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 31st, 2011 at 11:56 am

your #2…yea that sounds a little too hot to handle, too close for comfort type of situation. I am sure there are plenty of stories :)

And your comment to me re the 10k super snazzy professional photography lenses…and being so close, i would have loved it!

rachel — January 31, 2011 at 11:06 am

happy birthday to skylar! she’s adorable :)

LauraJayne — January 31, 2011 at 11:08 am

I think I want the exact same meal (aka desserts) for my birthday party this month – I might be in a sugar coma, but it’d be SO worth it!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 31, 2011 at 11:09 am

Happy birthday to Skylar!!! :mrgreen:

Love those chocolate cupcakes (and the white chocolate PB cups!)

We always get our cakes from the bakery; homemade cakes just aren’t as fun, or convenient! hehe Or pretty, for that matter! lol!

Ela — January 31, 2011 at 11:10 am

Happy birthday to Skylar–and congratulations to you! I often think that my birthday is more important to my mom than it is to me: it really takes her back to significant memories. On my birthday last year, I wrote a blog post thanking my mom for being so awesome. I hope that her birthday reminds you of how awesome you are.

I always prefer to make stuff from scratch–can be obsessive about it, probably because of my allergies etc, but I totally agree that the love and quality time is more important than making every last bit yourself. Phil doesn’t care if it’s from the store, so sometimes I buy him things.

love
    Ela

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 31st, 2011 at 11:57 am

Thanks Ela for this “On my birthday last year, I wrote a blog post thanking my mom for being so awesome. I hope that her birthday reminds you of how awesome you are.”–
      that is wonderful to say and read. And for you to realize and share :)

Melissa — January 31, 2011 at 11:10 am

Happy Birthday Skylar!!!! She looks so happy:)

Annie — January 31, 2011 at 11:37 am

Happy (early) Birthday to Skylar!

*shudders at the clown decorations* They’ve always scared me and always will. ;)