Microwave Banana Oat Cakes, Fave Banana or Oat Recipes

How has your weekend been?  Mine has gone by fast, unfortunately.  I’ve been working.

And working on household organization and decluttering projects.

And working on new recipes like this one.

Microwave Banana Oat Cakes
(Vegan & GF)
1/2 Banana, mashed
3 Tbsp Dry Whole Rolled Oats (info about Oats & Buying Certified Gluten Free is here)
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar (omit or reduce, use white sugar, or use stevia, if desired)
1 Tsp Cinnamon (or use pumpkin pie spice)

Optional: 1/2 Tbsp Chia Seeds (or use ground flax, or omit)
Optional: 1 Tbsp Dried Coconut Flakes
Optional: 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder for Chocolate Banana Oat Cakes

Yields 1 oat cake but you can double the above recipe and microwave half the mixture in one bowl, half the mixture in another bowl, for 2 oat cakes

Directions
Mash Banana, Combine & Stir All Ingredients

Spray down a clean bowl or dish with cooking spray or nonstick spray.

Transfer the mixture into the sprayed bowl and microwave for 90 seconds.

Remove from the microwave and just wait a minute or two for it to cool and firm up a bit.
And then, it will pop right out.

Or you can get fancy and invert it onto another plate.  Let’s see how many dishes we can dirty, right?

Naked Banana Oat Cake

Banana Oat Cake not naked.  Smeared with PB on top.

Get your fork and dig in.  Or in Skylar’s case, she eats these like cookies and skips using silverware and plates.  Which is perfect if you’re driving, on the go, or want to save on dishes.

If peanut butter isn’t your thing, try topping your Banana Oat Cake with Almond Butter, Maple Syrup, Jelly, Jam, Hot Mustard.  Kidding.  Or just plain.

If the microwave isn’t your thing, and as I’ve discussed, it’s a Tool for me, but you could cook these in a non-stick skillet for about 2 minutes per side.

But I’m busy, and this is a snack and truth be told, I will never fire up my stovetop just to make a snack.  So I use the microwave.

I’ve seen everyone from Mama Pea to Ashley to Susan make their own versions so I thought it was high time I tried my own.

These are portable, fast and easy (I can mash a banana and add the other ingredients in 90 secs + 90 more secs to nuke = 3 minute snack).  They hold together and are mildly sweet, warm, comforting, and a hit with Skylar.

That’s her DSLR.  She’s practicing with the f-stop settings.

From my earlier post, glad you enjoyed my Pineapple Tips and Other Random Tips.  Thanks for sharing your food, recipe, workout, and life tips with me.  I love learning new things and many of you also told me you check to see if pineapples are ripe by tugging on one of the leaves and seeing if it releases easily or not as a sign of ripeness.

Tip: Did you see my Give Away for NuNaturals Stevia for 4 Winners?

NuNaturals - NuStevia White Stevia Powder - 50 Packet(s)
Click Here to Enter!

Questions
1. Best Thing You’ve Done or Ate this weekend?
Yesterday I said it was my reorganizing project that I did, but today I’m gonna go with the Banana Oat Cakes.   And the great workout I had that involved a walk outdoors with the fam.

2. What is your fave way to eat Bananas?   If you need recipes that Use up Ripe Bananas, I have Ripe Banana Recipes

I like bananas in things much more than by themselves.  Like in cake.
Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bread Cake (Gluten/Soy-Free)

Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bread Cake (Gluten/Soy-Free)

3.  What is your fave way to eat Oats?   If you need recipes that call for oats or are looking to put a new spin on your oats, I have Oats & Oatmeal Recipes

I like to eat oats in snacks like Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars which are similar in many ways to the recipe I posted today but makes bars, not cakes.  And uses the freezer, not the microwave.  But variations on a theme I’d say.  And you can omit the protein powder, too.  They still “work” without it.

Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars

I hope you have a great week, everyone.  See you tomorrow!

34 Responses to “Microwave Banana Oat Cakes, Fave Banana or Oat Recipes”

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I just made a banana oat cake!!!! I added the chia, and 1 tsp coconut, and 1 tsp cocoa. It was so good!!!

Katie — January 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Just tried the oat cake! uh-maz-innng! Thanks for the recipe :)

wedding party — January 29, 2011 at 2:24 am

Very good suggestions, you just gained a brand new reader. I’m curious if you have any follow ups to this post?

wedding party — January 31, 2011 at 11:34 pm

actually this is not what i needed when i searched on google which routed me here.but actually i needed more information on this topic for my neice as she had asked.

Petitchat — January 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I literally stumbled across this website, but the oat cakes look and sound so good. I’m definably making this.

Danielle — January 29, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Have you ever made several in advance to eat over the week? Curious if you would keep at room temp or in the fridge.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 29th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I’ve made them about 48 hours in advance. I have also made in advance and froze. But they are such a short/quick recipe freezing and then reheating is almost as much work as making fresh but try it…they’ll be fine, I’m sure.

Danielle — January 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thank you! I just made it as a snack, loved it and immediately blogged it. I
    will be making it again for sure, and you are right, it’s so easy there is no
    need to make ahead really.

Jess McG — February 5, 2012 at 2:25 am

Hi Averie!
    OMG! I know this is an older post, but this past weekend I made your microwave banana oat cake for the first time, as a quick breakfast before I headed to the gym to body pump: I can’t believe how delicious and easy it was! And with a spoonful of peanut butter it gave me a real energy boost for my work-out. Thanks for this amazing recipe!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 5th, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Glad you made it and that it was such a hit! I make them all the time and doctor them up with random frozen fruit chunks thrown in the batter, i.e. blueberries, mango, etc..have fun playing around :)

Jennifer — July 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

These look awesome! I know in the description you said if we wanted to double it to make it in two separate bowls, but if I do want to double the ingredients, can I make it in one bowl?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 29th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I’m sure it will be fine; just take note that the cooking time may vary.

Erin — October 3, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I know this is kind of an old post, but I just wanted to say thank you for this recipe :D It’s so simple, and as I’m living in a freshman dorm right now with literally just a microwave, simple is exactly what I need.

Sandrine — March 29, 2014 at 11:04 am

So delicious !
    Thank you! :)

liga — July 10, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I added honey instead of sugar and low fat plain yogurt on top instead of PB :) Tasted amazing!

• liga replied: — July 10th, 2014 at 2:45 pm

also I ate it out of the bowl so I didn’t have to use oil :)

Mary — August 8, 2014 at 11:43 am

Is the amount of sugar correct (1 Tablespoon), 1Tbsp of sugar is the daily recommended limit for adults. If so – I don’t think that this is a healthy food choice – Way Too Much Sugar. I can understand children liking them, they have more sugar than most candy bars.