Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars

I made these bars in 3 minutes flat.  They are going to become a new staple.  Fast, easy, simple, portable, and kid-approved.  And mommy-approved.  And they contain chocolate and peanut butter.  I mean, what’s not to love?

[print_this]

Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars

2 Tbsp Chocolate Chips

2 to 3 Tbsp Peanut Butter (or other nut butter)

2 Tbsp Milk (or nut milk) (I used vanilla coffee creamer!)

1/2 C Oats

Optional:

1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

1 Tbsp Sweetener (Brown/White Sugar, Agave, Maple Syrup or Stevia to Taste)

1 Tbsp Other Dry Ingredients (coconut flakes, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, nuts, more chocolate chips, raisins, scoop of protein powder, etc.)

Directions:

Melt the first three ingredients together in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring and checking

Then add the Oats and any optional ingredients, stir to combine.  (You want this mixture to be fairly dry.  If it’s not dry enough, add more oats one tablespoon at a time)

Press mixture into bars or balls.   Using a piece of plastic wrap on the inside of a square plastic container will save on dishes and cleanup.

Put in refrigerator or freezer for 10 minutes, or until bars have set up.   Slice or break apart.

Yields 3 Larabar-sized bars that are also vegan and gluten-free.

[/print_this]

Did you notice that snazzy Print This widget feature?  Thanks Christine for the tip off on that one.

Here’s how things went down.  Visually speaking.

Add the Chips + PB + Milk and then Nuke

Then add the Oats and other Optionals

Press it into a plastic container or bowl, then freeze or refrigerate til set up.  Using plastic wrap saves on mess because you can just lift the whole thing out.  Messy cook anyone?

Yields 3 Bars.  I don’t always need a dozen, or more, bars.  Sometimes just a few is all I want or need.

The inside is perfectly chocolately and peanut buttery.  The peanut butter and oats keep them chewy, and the chocolate keeps them…Mmmm!

Definitely Kiddie Approved.

Wrap any extras in plastic and take for an on-the-go snack.  That is, if you have any ‘leftovers’ from the yield of 3 bars.

Related Foods/Snacks that are No-Bake/Micro/Freezer type recipes:

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars (Vegan, GF, No-Bake)

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Coconut Oil Protein Bars (Vegan, GF, No-Bake)

Microwave Banana Oat Cakes

Biggie Microwave Banana Oat Cakes

Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes

I also have an Oats Recipes Post that highlights many of my oat-containing recipes.

From my last post about the Challenge: In 10 Years, it was amazing reading where you all think you’re going to be in 10 years!  Wow.  Thank you for gracing me with your stories, dreams, goals, aspirations, and honesty.  I really loved reading those comments and I’m glad you enjoyed my thoughts about where I’ll be in 10 years and what I’ll be doing.

And yes, it’s so hard to predict life and the changes, twists and turns it will take.  Most of you told me you are amazed the way your life has unfolded and the life path you’re walking, living, and breathing right now.

1. Best thing you’ve ate or done over the weekend?

I picked up some things for Skylar’s birthday party and we spent lots of time together as a family.  The weather has been great, high 60s/low 70s and sunny and we went for a few great long power walks.

2. Do you like to make your own snack bars?

Yes, see the above links.  Clearly, I’m a fan.

3. What’s in your “dream” snack bar?

Mine would have to have oats, chocolate, peanut butter and from there…you can’t go wrong!

Have a great week, everyone!

158 Responses to “Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars”

rebecca lustig — January 30, 2011 at 12:06 pm

OH MY GOSh! so easy. so delicious. you’ve done it again

Lauren @ Hungry Dancer — January 30, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Wow those look good!! Love your easy recipes!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — January 30, 2011 at 12:29 pm

If you find yourself with a few extra of these, I’d be more than happy to send you my address…

Susan — January 30, 2011 at 12:41 pm

These look super easy. Do you think a Baker’s chocolate square would work for the chocolate chips?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 30th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Yes for sure!

Food trivia…A baker’s square will melt easier (lacks the stabiliziers that chips have so will melt smoother/easier) and possibly be a darker % chocolate, but in many other ways, they are the same.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Droooooooooooooool! Those bars look scrumptious!! :)

I think my dream snack bar would contain Nutella and chocolate chips.

Love the Print Recipe plugin :) It’s so handy!

Emma — January 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Scrummalicious! I’m currently veganising my life and your blog inspires me! Lovin the new look! x

Katie — January 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

These remind me of these no-bake cookies my grandma used to make. Only in her version, sugar wasn’t optional. :) And there was probably a lot of butter too.

lauren @ spiced plate — January 30, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I don’t know how much of that batter would make it into the microwave — it looks so delicious beforehand too! (yes, sometimes I like to eat raw oats. not a lot. just a little. or i’ll put 1/2 a spoonful in my tea. strange food confession)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — January 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Ahhh those look SO good. This reminds me that I need to make your PB protein bars again soon….they’re one of the first blogworld recipes I ever made, and Mike still talks about how good they were. PB, chocolate…the best two ingredients are covered. I’ve just been on a baking hiatus since Christmas!

Best thing from the weekend…well, since my birthday wasn’t technically on the weekend, I guess that only leaves dinner at Candle, which is fine because then I don’t have to choose between the two. You really do have to get there sometime, it’s absolutely amazing!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 30th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

i was just trying to comment on your post…and I.D. is being glitchey for me but i emailed you my comment :)

and mike still talks about that recipe, and it being one of your 1st? awww, that’s so sweet thanks for telling me :)

Runeatrepeat — January 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Is it sad that microwave recipes get me so excited! I’m all about quick and easy – and healthy!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 30th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

no shame girl. we are all busy and if someone wants to melt chocolate over a stovetop, they can. for me, i like the micro :)

Sarah @ onelovesarah — January 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I am in love with this. I have been wanting to make my own bars and this is so simple. I will definitely be making these this week. Thanks

lindsay — January 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Skylar is so stinkin cute! What a great healthy recipe. Starring this!

VeggieGirl — January 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

YUM YUM YUM!!!

Helen — January 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I love to make my own bars! Of course I have to have oats and nut butter or honey, other ingredients vary depending on my mood. Sometimes I like chocolate if I am in a chocolate mood. If I want salty/sweet then I go with nuts/seeds and oats.

I had gumbo for lunch today, that was delish :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — January 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Ahhh yummy yummy! Microwaveable = easy peasy, aka these will be a staple in my college diet next year. I think I am going to need to learn to love the microwave!

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine — January 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Those look wonderful!
    I actually spent all morning perusing your recipes page with my boyfriend…I am seriously considering pulling a Julia and Julia and working my way through each and every one of your recipes day by day!
    But for now, I’m going to make your oreo balls and coconut mint balls for our superbowl party this upcoming weekend! I don’t care about football at all so the food is what I put all of my energies into.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 30th, 2011 at 4:43 pm

if you worked your way thru my recipes day by day…even if you made 10, I would be beyond flattered :)

going to make your oreo balls and coconut mint balls for our superbowl party = please tell me how they go over with everyone!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — January 30, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Your pictures seem to be especially high quality today!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Yum!! I’m all for fast, easy treats!

Tabitha — January 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm

OK…I’ve been following you for a couple weeks now, and I’m finally commenting. I’ve tried a few of your snacky recipes, and they’re great! This one looks awesome, and I’m definitely going to be trying it. I don’t usually have milks in the house because I don’t use them very often, so I’ll have to go get some. And chocolate chips. I love that your recipes are generally small…because I go overboard if I have too much around! Thanks!!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 30th, 2011 at 4:43 pm

you could skip the milk and add any kind of butter/fake butter you have, about 2 Tbsp worth. Even water, really, would be fine.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — January 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm

mmmm those bars look great! This weekend was a real nice weekend here in Austin so yesterday I played a full day of sand vb (10am-5pm :-) ) and today I had a great run on a gorgeous trail!! My dream snack bar HAS to have Peanut Butter or any kind of Nut butter :-) the rest doesn’t matter to me!

julie — January 30, 2011 at 2:50 pm

i feel like i never make my own snack bars just because i’m not really a snack bar type person! i never feel like i’m full after i eat them and by the time they’re gone i still want more haha but these are definitely a great idea for when i’m on the run with school and everything now :) great recipe as always girl!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 30, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I have never made my own snack bars, but when I do I will be using one of your recipes!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet — January 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm

These remind me of “no bake” cookies that are huge here in western PA. These are a lot healthier though and even look prettier. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 30th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

yes i am the no bake queen.
      you are the baking queen.

feel free to come out there and bake for me anytime :)

Katie — January 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

These look amazing, and all the amazing pics you took of them makes me want them NOW! Pics like that make me very very hungry !

Awwwwwww Skylars birthday soon! How fun! I bet she is so excited!!!

Love ya girl! xoxo Have a great Sunday night!

Jess — January 30, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Those bars look SO good!!

Cassandra — January 30, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I am so obsessed with making snack bars lately! I made some using oats and some almond pulp (a riff on your bars) the other day, but they’re almost gone, so I gotta get crackin’. Speaking of snacking, I just made a version of your seed crackers (savory), using some tamari and nooch and all chia (no flax). I don’t want to eat them all in one swoop, but they’re good! Thanks for all the inspiration!

charlotte — January 30, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Um, I LOVE YOU. I hope this doesn’t make things awkward between us but holey moley this is my new fave recipe. They taste like oatmeal cookies! I used butterscotch chips because that’s all I have. Looooovvvveeee.

Sabina — January 30, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hey Averie!

Those bars look and read delicious! I’m going to make them. Thanks for sharing!

The best thing I ate this weekend, well, I’m hoping it’s going to be my Caribbean-inspired 3-bean-butternut-squash-sweet-potato-stew that I invented on the spot and has been in the slow cooker all afternoon! It’s GF and almost vegan (had some chicken stock to use up, but could easily use veg stock or water).

I’ve NEVER made my own snack bars! I’ve made cookies, muffins, roasted chickpeas, granola, but never bars!

My dream bar: it MUST have chocolate and nuts (yours is really looking like a hit to me!)

xo

Sabina

Gracie — January 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Absolutely bookmarking this!! You’re a genius…and a great mommy :D

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — January 30, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Those bars will definitely be a staple for me too. I’m on a huge ‘make it in the microwave’ kick :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) — January 30, 2011 at 4:59 pm

You had me at “Three minutes”…and guess what- I’m sooo excited b/c I ran out of my store bought bars and said “I need to find a good recipe for my own”. I just made yours (tweaked of course- I added crisped rice for volume and added the chips at the end so they were whole)…I’m anxiously awaiting when I get hungry enough to eat them- thank you!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 30th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

there are a hundred tweaks one can go with these but basically single serving-ish, micro, no bake, choc, PB, vegan/Gf for those that care…these win on all fronts. And yes rice krispies will give them bulk! and i was gonna suggest chips at the end too and then honestly…didnt even want to confuse ppl by taking something so simple and making it trickier. lol

kristi (sweet cheeks) — January 30, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Okay, those bars are calling…no, screaming, my name. I love you are your recipes Averie!!!

bitt — January 30, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Sigh, oats, I love them but I am realizing they might not be the best for me with some health issues I have. Even the certified ones. I like to make oat bars for Chris incase he forgets to eat lunch or breakfast. Good idea. Without microwave, I’m assuming a stovetop and bake them? Yes slower but non an open fire at least.

• bitt replied: — January 30th, 2011 at 5:56 pm

certified GF I mean.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 30th, 2011 at 6:15 pm

melt over stovetop
      it seems like so much work for such a small amt of chocolate but if that’s your method, go for it.

and once melted, then just add everything else in, stir, freeze.
      whether you melt the choc on the stovetop or in a microwave wouldnt effect the need to bake them. At least not for me! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog — January 30, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Averie, you are a bar making GENIUS! I have this one printed and ready to make, of course! <3

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 30, 2011 at 6:59 pm

DEEELISH!!! you have outdone yourself again averie!!! i love this simple recipe!

this weekend was camp savage all weekend and it was amazing!

justine — January 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm

love your site so much! thanks for sharing!!

Carrie — January 30, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Hi there. I have been attempting for the first time to eat RAW this week. I have been looking for a good blog And WOW have i found it! i LOVE your pictures and recipes and how you give the vegan and raw alternatives to the recipe. I found it by looking for a good Raw cookie dough recipe. i have not tried anything yet but am planning to try a few! Just wanted to say thank you!

Maria Pavel — January 30, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Hi Averie,

Congratulations for the great good-looking snack bars and also, thank you very much for sharing this recipe, I was really interested in the recipe. When I saw the pictures, the next second I started drooling, yummy. I am going to try to cook some microwave chocolate peanut butter oat snack bars too, I really hope they will taste good and I won’t mess up everything, hehe.

Best regards,

Maria

maria @ Chasing the Now — January 30, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I like bars that have peanut butter and are all-natural. Going to mark this recipe to try soon! :)

Thanks for sharing.

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Aw, thanks for the shout out on the print feature. :-) The bars look wonderful and super fast and easy, awesome job! And great pictures too.

1. Watched the Sacramento Kings win a basketball game, ate out and spent time with my sisters.
    2. I haven’t yet, but should, I really liked the raw dough balls I made which would also be a good portable snack.
    3. Lots of chocolate, low calorie and a good crunch – that’s a streatch, I know. :-P

Marie@feedingfive — January 30, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Absolutely love the new design of your blog.

Angie — January 30, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Great food like always!! :)

Christine @ What The Front Door?!?! — January 31, 2011 at 8:03 am

I just added this to my “things I need to make” page. Thanks!

Kim — January 31, 2011 at 8:27 am

Averie! This is my first time checking out your new site — it’s gorgeous!! Great job – really like how easy it is to navigate. Oh, and your pict is absolutely stunning too of course. :) My sweetie will be trying these snack bars soon – YUM, FAST, and EZ, Love it! Thanks so much for sharing. Many blessings on your week. ~K

Ms. Megan — January 31, 2011 at 8:59 am

Averie – – i’ve been reading your blog since the summer. i suppose i’m what blog-people call a ‘lurker’, since i never comment, but all i can say in my defence is that i’ve always been a good listener…
    but, i have to say that these bars were made INSTANTLY. i’ve made your p.b. protein bars a number of times in the past with great success, and these were no slouch, either! i augmented mine with some ground flax and a scoop of choco-protein, and liked the firmness of these compared to the protein bars… (might try and combine the two into some kind of SUPER-BAR!)
    thanks for doing what you do. it’s been a pleasure watching a life well lived, and inspiring to see someone else discovering the little ways in which less can really mean (so much!) more.

Beth — January 31, 2011 at 9:55 am

You’re Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars will be a huge hit with my husband. He already LOVES your No Bake Vegan PB Choc Chip Coconut Protein Bars. No need to tell him they are raw and vegan ;)

Best thing on Sunday: snowshoeing with my hubby in the clean, clear, crisp outdoors.

Love making my own snacks. They taste better, and we get to lick the bowl ;)

Dream bar: chocolate, nut / seed butter, chia or flax

Euniece — January 31, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I absolutely love the simplicity of the oatmeal bar, especially because living in a dorm room my cooking options are pretty much limited to a microwave!!

Kady — January 31, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I always make my own bars! I eat them almost everyday and they’re much tastier, healthier, and cheaper than store bought! I just made these and WOW! They are fabulous. Thanks for the recipe :)!

ashley@quasichick — January 31, 2011 at 7:44 pm

3 minutes!?!? You know how busy I am so I will def. be making those!! I made your cheesy broccoli bake tonight..it was so yummy!

Krista — February 1, 2011 at 8:54 am

GREAT bar idea, Averie! Just like hand held oats….right up my alley. :)