The Sights From Here, Golden Silence

It’s impossible for me to be totally wordless on what many call Wordless Wednesday’s, but I thought I’d show you some of the sights around my life…

My San Diego neighborhood 15 minutes ago…

They look like dried blueberries

The irony of Roses + Beware of Dog just struck me

It’s interesting that a psychic is ‘On Duty’.  If you’re psychic like I am, you are never really ‘off duty’.  Trust me. I wish I could go ‘off duty’.  It would make life easier sometimes.

Did someone say bottomless mimosas?  Back in the day they would have lost money on me.

Sights from my Kitchen

What did I make?

A fresh batch of Special K Bars !

The underside is pure heaven.  Peanut Butter + Brown Sugar + Karo Syrup + Vanilla
And the top side is Chocolate.  The best of both worlds!

Special K Bars

From my last post, Stevia & Salsa, thanks for sharing your fave ways to use both.  You all are some S & S fiends, aren’t you.

Sighs from Snack Time….

I’d hate to call this ‘dessert’ because it’s so healthy!   Raw Vegan Chocolate Mousse (that link is working for the recipe)

Raw Vegan Chocolate Mousse (that link has prettier pictures once it starts working)

1. Do you have any psychic abilities?

I have posted before that I do.  Here and Here

2. What are the Sights From Your World like right now?

Tell me something about your world right now.  Paint a picture.

3. Do you find it hard to be Wordless?

I’ve had many sales jobs over the years (real estate, timeshare, etc.) and there is something called Golden Silence.

It’s when you make an offer, a proposal, or put forth some kind of information and you need the recipient or other party to answer or respond.

Most people have a hard time just sitting quietly and waiting for more than a few seconds for an answer.  They start talking in circles, repeating what they said, adding more (usually useless) information, and are generally not comfortable with just letting there be silence.

Silence can be scary.  People usually feel uncomfortable with “dead air” and most people’s natural tendency is to keep talking.  Silence is harder than you think!

Think about say, asking your boss for a raise.  How hard would it be for you to put forth that question and then just sit there in silence and wait for his/her response.

Your boss isn’t likely to respond to your request in a matter of seconds.  She will need to think about it.  And what are you going to do?  Sit there quietly?  Perhaps.

But most people start jabbering, explaining themselves, justfiying things, talking in circles, and doing everything but having there be silence.

Same could be true about asking your parents, spouse, or friends a tough question.  Can you just ask it and wait?

I have learned over the years to just ask, and wait.  But it’s not easy and a million things run through my head in that silent moment(s).  But it gives the person I’m asking time to digest my request and not clutter it or make me feel the need to start explaining myself or justifying myself over and over.

Is it easy for you to have silence and be wordless?  Or do you suffer from verbal diarrhea?  haha!

p.s. Any broken links or bad pathways in the Recipes Tab *should* be all repaired by Thursday.  Thank you for your patience!

Enjoy your Wordless, or Wordy, Wednesday evening!  I am going to workout, outside, in the beautiful 68F sunny weather!

56 Responses to “The Sights From Here, Golden Silence”

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 26, 2011 at 11:43 pm

UGH could you be rubbing it in more that you have the most perfect weatehr EVER!! haha just kidding, I really am so super jealous! i would pay the big bucks to come fly over there and get out of this SNOW!!!!!

MM those special K bars look so delicious, I remember you posting them the first time! WOW I want them!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 26, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I haven’t posted anything today since I have been so busy…maybe I should go the wordless route? Although I don’t really want to pull people to my site just for the sake of doing it, so I would feel a little guilty. I don’t blog unless I have something I want to say.

The sites here are dreary! I need some serious sunshine!

Christin@purplebirdblog — January 26, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I am definitely guilty of the verbal diarrhea, but I think that comes more from working from home alone all day! Lord have mercy on the first human being to come into contact with me after that. I’m a mouthy mess! :)

I am learning to enjoy silence though… yoga has actually really helped me in that regard! That’s one thing I love about my relationship with Alex… we can be comfortable in the silence between us (obviously I’m not referring to fights or anything, just the quiet time and appreciating just that we are together).

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — January 26, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Silence can be scary, but for the most part I enjoy every second of it!

No psychic abilities for me — I need to go read your links, I believe that people can have those abilities and I find it really interesting.

My world? Right now I’m dressed to go to the gym, waiting for Jason to get home so we can go together! So I would describe my facial expressions as tense, anxious and frustrated that I haven’t left yet!

Oh and it got to about 20 degrees today. Hurray for “warm” weather! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 26th, 2011 at 11:59 pm

i am defi psychic…it’s not even something i “want” to be…i just am. I think it is also tied to my hsp stuff. :)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA — January 26, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Beautiful pictures!

Being “wordless” is often a challenge for actors – a lot of great acting is in the REacting, and being silent and really listening to the other person talk. If you watch an inexperienced actor, they’re not really listening and they’re thinking about what they’re going to say next. So knowing what to do in the silences is key.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — January 26, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I love quiet moments. I’m a huge fan of silence!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 26, 2011 at 11:51 pm

You live in paradise! :o

Those special K bars look SO AMAZING!!! Special K is one of those things that I could seriously finish off a whole box in one sitting. haha

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — January 26, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Oh, and it’s snowing hard here in NY. As if we need more!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 26th, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Oh god that SUCKS! I know, I am blessed to live here. Grew up in MN and then Chicago. So i think i appreciate this weather even more b/c of all the frigid/snow awful weather i grew up with!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — January 26, 2011 at 11:55 pm

You are trying to make everyone jealous with your SD pictures aren’t you?!! Right now my husband is playing the guitar while my mother in law sings “Operator” by Jim Croce and my daughter is dancing around. And I’m reading blogs on the iPad. :-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 26th, 2011 at 11:58 pm

your house sounds FULL and lively and lots of action! i can almost hear the jim croce from here :)

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — January 27, 2011 at 12:02 am

I’m experiencing an extremely wordy Wednesday. Why? Because my oldest son can’t let a second go by without filling that golden silence with words. Any words. Or sounds. Any sounds. Or singing. Any.Noise.At.All!!
    Ahhhh…I can’t wait for the sweet silence of bedtime. :-D

Alicia — January 27, 2011 at 12:02 am

I’ve been wanting to make those special k bars, do you know of a gluten free kind of cereal I could use? I don’t know if special k is but it looks like corn flakes so maybe. Beautiful pictures!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 12:30 am

corn flakes are not certified GF but they would work. I also think you could use any certified “higher end” organic-GF-specialty type cereal that you can find, i.e. Erehwon, or others that you could find at WFs. You could probably use rice krispies or similar. But I think flakes would be best…

CathyK — January 27, 2011 at 12:10 am

i have to get to san diego some day – looks just wonderful! i’ve never been to any part of california!
    i am not psychic but do like to “read people,” as i call it. i get really strong vibes about personalities!
    i do like talking A LOT – why i love working retail, haha! that being said, there is the art of listening, for sure, knowing when to be silent and let people talk themselves out. definitely need both types of communication skills to be successful in life!

Mary Frances — January 27, 2011 at 12:39 am

Hi Averie,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful blog with the world. I have benefited so much from it and have just gotten into some of the Sun Warrior products because of you and LOVE them!

I love silence! It is must have for me. Being a bodyworker it is part of my self care routine. I can get grumpy if I don’t have it or have my space.

I am not physic (although I am having some “new” feelings and energies come at me with doing more massage and energy work) but am definately a hsp – thank God for Elaine Aron and all her research and books! I dove into all the research and reading about it a couple of years ago and it saved my life really – learning about it and affirming for me what gifts I have.

Thank you again for sharing your world and helping me and so many of us.

Peace and Light.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 12:55 am

Thank you so much Mary Frances…I love Elaine Aron/Hsp stuff!

I am glad you are enjoying Sun Warrior, golden silence, and my blog…the things you just said about me helping so many…thank you, wow. I am so flattered, thank you :)

Lisa — January 27, 2011 at 12:44 am

Funny…I have posted Wordy Wednesday posts for the last few weeks…because I just can’t do the wordless thing. I am, however, pretty good with silence in most cases. It doesn’t make me uncomfortable…but I can also be very talky.
    I’ve always had some psychic tendencies, even when I was a kid and didn’t know it—I “foreshadowed” some things that happened to me and my family once I was an adult…including knowing that someone was going to die from complications during childbirth when I was 5. And it happened 20 years later.
    I’ve also developed my mediumship abilities, and done past life regressions. I can do it for myself and I can tune into other people and know stuff about them and their lives. It’s pretty fun, and I love talking to other people about it who really get it!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 12:56 am

Omg that is QUITE the foreshadowing..the dying/childbirth.

I have also done past life regression analysis, and yes, tuning into people…I am the same.

Gotta run but could talk for hours about this stuff!

lindsay — January 27, 2011 at 12:47 am

I love all your beautiful pics. So warm and spiring like! WIsh I could be there! And you need to tell us more about your pyschic abilities. I am intrigued.
    LC

Gina — January 27, 2011 at 12:51 am

I need a special K bar, stat!

Right now in my world, I’m making a cup of Yogi tea and trying out my new NuNaturals stevia in it. Soon after, I’ll plop myself on the couch and maybe watch some Food Network while reading blogs :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 27, 2011 at 1:00 am

Ahhhh, I know this is getting repetitive, but I am SO jealous of your lush, green, SUNNY landscape!!!! ENOUGH of this winter climate– I need to move somewhere warm!

julie — January 27, 2011 at 1:02 am

i alwwaaaays think about buying that TJs vanilla extract because i’ve heard amazing things about it! but i just feel like it’s super expensive when i can get the imitation kind at costco for the same price hahaha. tell me its worth the moolah and i may just pick up a bottle

WHY do you live in heaven

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 1:54 am

i always buy REAL vanilla extract, not imitiation. i will buy imitation maple syrup but not on vanilla. dont know why…
      anyhoo…compared to other REAL vanilla, the TJ’s is a freakin’ DEAL$$. It’s like 4.99 for 4 oz. Whereas McCormick’s vanilla is like 7.99 for 2 oz at my grocery. Give or take.

And the TJs bourbon vanilla extract rocks. So just get it. It’s 5 bucks of heaven :)

Kim — January 27, 2011 at 1:13 am

Mmm special k bars look divine!!! Might just have to make me some of them!
    And i too am intrigued by your psychic abilities, so will be checking out those links :)
    Have a looooovely day Avery!

Jess — January 27, 2011 at 1:16 am

I defff have nothing “psychic” going on in me–haha :) You have a beautiful neighborhood!!

bitt — January 27, 2011 at 1:19 am

One of the worst punishments anyone can ever give me is the silent treatment! I enjoy quiet but I sometimes interpret someone’s silence as holding a grudge. Must come from a certain family member who does that a lot.

Happy Wednesday!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 1:55 am

silent treatment..i have plenty of ppl who are good at that in my life. ugh.

but more just golden silence, for a moment…can be lovely. semi strange, but it’s like a clear air space for me. however if it goes on tooooo long and is the silent tx, that is something entirely diff and not enjoyable!

Jessica in NH — January 27, 2011 at 1:21 am

No physic abilities here…however as I look around my world I see snow banks almost 6 feet high and snow is continuing to fall from the sky…ugh!

Rachael — January 27, 2011 at 1:36 am

Definitely interested in reading even more about your psychic experiences. It sounds like a bad movie cliche, but I come from a long line of Irish women who professed to have “second sight” – and I’ve definitely had some interesting things happen over the years!
    My world right now – white wind.
    In the world of campaign canvassing, intentional silences are also a golden tool. I’ve gotten more people to sign petitions by saying less, looking them in the eye and letting them think then through any other strategy!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 1:56 am

it would not surprise me in the LEAST if you were highly psychic, intuitive, all that jazz. you just radiate it! and now especially, the next 25-30 weeks, or so, i would say even more prone :)

ashley@quasichick — January 27, 2011 at 1:47 am

The weathe is perfect here in Louisiana! Perfect enough for an outside workout!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin — January 27, 2011 at 2:57 am

I didn’t realize you lived in San Diego!! I was just there for work for the last week (got back to DC today) and I LOVED it. I seriously want to move there. I stayed downtown at the Westin and was within walking distance of the harbor and the Gaslamp District – love love love!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 4:21 am

no way! you were here?! I live pretty much 5 mins north of downtown. and yes, the weather has been gorgeous here! and the westin is awesome.

and thanks for stopping by…i see you comment on tons of blogs that i do, too :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — January 27, 2011 at 2:57 am

Bottomless mimosas?! OH lawd! I’d be there all day! ;)

charlotte — January 27, 2011 at 3:04 am

Um, I just made your beware of dog/rose pic my wallpaper – hope that’s ok! GORGEOUS pics. Man I want to live where you live. I’d cry a tear of jealousy but it would freeze to my face. And me silent? Actually yes. Despite my chatty nature I have no problem sitting in silence:)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 4:20 am

ok that is seriously the most flattering thing someone has said in awhile…my pic as wallpaper! i am honored!

Helen — January 27, 2011 at 3:27 am

Unfortunately I do not have many sights going on at the moment. Two kids + flu = you do not leave the house unless you absloutely have to. But we did for groceries (totally out of food this morn) and we had pretty blue skies her in Louisiana :)

Love those bars, bet the boys will too!

Katie — January 27, 2011 at 3:54 am

I LOVE and crave silence. And I love and crave TJs bourbon vanilla. I busted it out this morning, in fact. One of those items I have but save for special occasions.

My world today: staring at my computer. Trying deperatly to get work done – alternating between word and exel and powerpoint. Fun times.

Bria — January 27, 2011 at 4:16 am

I had a moment the other day where someone was getting really testy with me (didn’t like what I had to say. . .) I just let there be silence instead of trying to rush in and fill the space with words.

The energy hung heavy for those few seconds. It wasn’t comfortable for either of us.

But then, the person spoke to me, and we worked out the issue.

I was proud of myself for being patient and not yakking.

So interesting to hear your take on the very same type of silence that I had such an intense experience with this week.

Beautiful pics, btw. All snow here. Quite the opposite of your weather, really!

Alyssa — January 27, 2011 at 4:31 am

Averie, I love the new look of your blog! And the food and scenery pictures are awesome.

I’ve had premonition dreams before, but apparently that is just a psychological phenomenon called synaptic prolapse or something like that. It doesn’t really predict the future, you actually dream about it after it has happened but think you predicted it. Weird!

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 27, 2011 at 5:09 am

Gorgeous pics and great eats, such nice weather compared to our fog.

1. Nope, I pretty sure I’m not gifted there.
    2. Very foggy today, so lots of gray.
    3. Nope, especially when I cut loose with my camera – the post would probably have more pics than my average posts words. :-P

Debi — January 27, 2011 at 5:11 am

Oh my goodness those bars and the raw choc mousse looks absolutely devine! I’ve made raw brownie and granola before, I’m definitely going to make these next week – without feeling bad because they are healthy!

Katharina — January 27, 2011 at 5:31 am

Such colorful and WARM pictures. Thank you for reminding me that warmth exists lol. I seriously have forgotten what the sun beating down on me feels like. I miss it, but seasons are a way of some parts of the world.. c’est la vie!

1. I definitely have an awareness that’s higher than most. Some times I feel really overwhelmed by it, but talking about it (usually to my step-dad) helps put me at ease. It’s not something I can talk freely about with just anybody. It’s nice to talk to someone who takes it seriously, you know?

2. What a great question!!! Well, today I had to bike ride through the snow. It was pretty when the white snowflakes were falling down and they almost seem to hush the urban life for awhile. However, I squinted during most of my ride and was sometimes blinded by it so that part wasn’t too nice. So imagine the slush of car tires, the fresh air and snow flakes in your face. Then… you’re finally home. Just lock up the bike, and make it through the door. Ahhhh… warmth.

3. Mmm… not particularly. I’ve let go of feeling the need to explain everything :)

XO!!! Lots of love to you and your family, Averie!

p.s. thank you for the sweet comment!!! :D It really put a smile on my face. OH! And my mom read the post and she loved the cheezy veggie bake recipe.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 10:47 am

your #1
      I am the same way. I dont talk about it. Can’t believe i posted about it but that’s more generally speaking, not the nitty gritty. And yes, being taken seriously…another reason i dont mention it much.

you and your mama are both amazing ladies :)

mi-an dela cruz — January 27, 2011 at 6:36 am

It’s also been gorgeous up here in the bay!! same sights as you but just 10 degrees colder… buhh!

i finished my 30 day yoga challenge today!! i know you’ll appreciate that esp bc you’re a yoga teacher! :) i’m so stoked!

i gotta make that special K bars!! they look so good! have a wonderful night missy!

Anne — January 27, 2011 at 7:47 am

I’m not psychic, and I don’t think I’d like to be.

I just woke up, the boyfriend requested sleep-in rather than coffee, so he’s still slumbering right over there – we have a small apartment, so I had breakfast in the kitch so as not to disturb, shhh! – he sleeps under an old, torn paisley blanket that really ought to be replaced. The sun’s just getting up and temperatures have dropped again (boo-hooo…) so the ground is frosted white, the sky is a pale light blue, and the rooftoop across from our windows is glittering with ice crystals. Every time the electrical train passes, there’s a crackle from the cold wires, otherwise it’s still quiet :-)

Uh, bonus about the paisley blanket, it belonged to my grand parents and I cannot find anything to replace it. It’s dusty and very probably a health hazard. My mother told me she remembered how they got it: they sent two big bags of their used clothes (seven kids on a farm, so there was probably enough of that to go around…) away to some place and back came the blanket, stuffed with shredded clothes! Like a swap-deal. Nowadays a can’t find a thick, stuffed paisley blanket anywhere in a decent quality unless I pay an arm and a half, but just imagine how old that blanket really is, with the shredded stuffing. Eeeww!

I used to sell running equipment and I was pretty green, so their top seller tried teaching me about the golden silence….Itried learning but I suspect that never happened and I wasn’t any good anyway: I loved the equipment but I hate being “sold” to myself, so when the customers said anything like, nah, that’s not what I want, I just automatically went, OK! Hahaha…

Beth — January 27, 2011 at 6:13 pm

When someone is on my mind repeatedly, I will call them and see what is “up”. That is about as psychic as I get.

I am very good at silent & silence. Being more of an introvert, that is a built in ability ;) Silence while waiting for an answer is much better than awkward silence too.

Emily Hege — January 27, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Hi Averie,
    This is my first comment to say hello. I decided the other day after your post to de-lurk (is that a word? haha) myself. I have enjoyed reading your blog and found it on eatingbirdfood when you commented on her blog. I just made your oreo chocolate ball recipe yesterday and they are wonderful. I may have to hide them from my husband, as he loves them too! It struck me yesterday in your post when you spoke about being psychic. I have some abilities like that and have been struggling with trying to discern what they are exactly, and if I am able to develop them, and if so, how would I use them to help people, or for the greater good. If it is not too personal of a conversation for you, I was wondering if you would be willing to email me so that I may ask you a few questions about your personal experience with it. If it is too personal, please forgive me. I believe we are all put on this earth with gifts and that we should somehow use them to give back. Thank you for your positive energy and spirit you express in your blog!
    Sincerely,
    Emily Hege

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 27th, 2011 at 11:43 pm

It’s not too personal to ask..I just dont have tons of time for long emails..i am buried under them. haha!

Glad you found me and you like my blog and thanks for delurking! In a nutshell, I have always been very in tune with things, I sense things, feel things very deeply, just can “predict” or an in tune with things. I think the way i am wired helps these traits express themselves even more. Not sure how i could advise one to hone their own traits other than to say, just be observant and dont dismiss the little details :)

Krista — January 28, 2011 at 5:42 am

Wordless and me can not ever be used in the same sentence. I can talk anybody’s ear off! LOL

You probably wouldn’t like the view from my world today. Grey, dull, dreary, cold and white stuff is falling from the sky. And the sidewalks and roads are covered in dirty slush. Oh summer, hurry on UP!!