Stevia & Salsa

I was lucky enough to find this box on my doorstep

With two bottles of liquid stevia from NuNaturals that I won in Valerie’s Give Away

I love Stevia!

I have a Post dedicated to some Stevia Recipes.  Like….

….Overnight Chocolate Brownie Protein Oats

…Or Vegan GF Cinnamon Raisin Banana Oatmeal Muffins.

Feel free to replace some of the white & brown sugar with stevia.

These muffins are a 1 bowl and a spoon recipe. No mixer required. 5 minutes to throw a few things in a bowl, stir, and bake.

See my Stevia Recipes Post for more ideas!

The fun continued on doorstep with some salsa.  I received this Pace Salsa because I am a FoodBuzz Featured Publisher.

What am I going to do with it?  Other than just dip chips into it?

Well these recipes come to mind….

Vegan (Crock Pot) Chili
You can make it in a crock or on the stovetop.  Whatever is easier.  Just add a jar of salsa to the chili recipe.
Salsa is in the recipe for Hearty Vegan Southwestern Sweet & Spicy Soup

Or make some Hummus + Add Salsa for HummuSalsa

Vegan 4-Ingredient Hummus (garlic and onion free)

From my last post about Wine & Whines, it was great to hear what your whines are.  Good ones!  It’s good to let them out sometimes.  And I enjoyed hearing your fave wines, too.

No wine for me tonight but maybe some Chocolate Covered Oreo Balls would work.  Edited to add: if that link doesn’t work, the Oreo Balls are linked in the Recipes Tab and that like does work.   Thanks for your patience everyone.  My web team is hard at work on fixing the links.

Housekeeping details:

For anyone who’s not able to read this post directly from my site (i.e. when you try to click off your reader or click off from your email subscription you’re getting a page not found error), be patient.  It’s your servers not updating my new blog move and hosting.  There is nothing you nor I can do, other than to just wait and be patientThank you for your patience! I’ve been told by a few of my Canadian readers, they still aren’t able to just go to my site directly and see posts.

The majority of the links in my Recipe Page are fixed and for what hasn’t been fixed, it’s being worked on, and you should have full access to all the recipes within a day or so.

1. Favorite way to use salsa?

I know tons of bloggers who use it as a salad dressing, as a veggie dip, or obviously as a chip dip.

2. Favorite way to use stevia?  Or if you haven’t tried it, what are you waiting for?

p.s. If you want to save money on stevia or on anything really including dry goods, spices, seasonings, body wash, protein powder, use my iHerb.com Coupon Code to save $5 on your first order. Enter Code AVE630 at checkout. Click Here to Shop.

3. What’s Happening on Hump Day for you?

I am working, taking care of Skylar, getting a workout in, dealing with my blog migration issues, and running around like crazy.

See you later!

69 Responses to “Stevia & Salsa”

Dani @ Body By Nature — January 26, 2011 at 11:27 am

I’ve never used Stevia before, is there a different in taste between liquid and sugar?

Happy hump day!!

• Dani @ Body By Nature replied: — January 26th, 2011 at 11:27 am

oops, should have said difference between liquid and the powdered form!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 26th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

i think the liquid is a little “smoother”..less aftertaste, and if you’re not used to stevia, the liquid is a little more mellow I’d say.

Mary (A Merry Life) — January 26, 2011 at 11:27 am

I have no idea what I’ve been waiting on to try Stevia, but I think you’ve convinced me to try it out!

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — January 26, 2011 at 11:28 am

I’ve never used the liquid stevia, I love the packet kind! Lucky you with all the doorstep surprises!!! Have a great day!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 26, 2011 at 11:29 am

LOVE the new look of your site! So pretty :)

I use salsa on anything I think it will taste good on. Veggies, chips, tacos, eggs, anything :)

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit — January 26, 2011 at 11:33 am

Hmm I’ve had stevia lying around for ages but I find it to be a bit…bitter? Maybe I’ll try on of your recipes!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit — January 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

aww damn the link to your oreo concontion doesnt work! life sucks.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 26th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

i just edited the post…but if you go to the recipes tab (this is WEIRD) but the oreo balls are in the recipes tab, and from there, you can get to the correct post. It’s sooo strange, but til the link is fixed, that’s the work around. Thank you for your patience :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — January 26, 2011 at 11:45 am

I love using salsa as a veggie dip, that’s how I use it the most. Nothing is going on for me on this hump day besides work and the gym. We’re getting more snow today, YUCK!

CathyK — January 26, 2011 at 11:49 am

i add salsa to chili, and am in love with stevia in coffee!!! yum!!!
    surprise deliveries are such fun! esp if you receive something out-of-the-blue!
    i’m off to visit my nieces this aft…always a fun time!
    good luck with your wednesday – sounds like a (usual) busy one!

maria @ Chasing the Now — January 26, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I love a medium-spiced salsa as my salad dressing. It used to be because it was low-cal+more veggies, but now I just love the flavor. Awesome if anyone has never tried it!

My hump day was super busy so I am looking forward to Thursday.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 26, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Salsa! Straight up on salads, with chips, on eggs! NuNaturals is a daily thing in my house! I already had it in my coffee this morning! I also just got my package from my win from your site last night…so baking is definitely in my future!

Have a great day Averie!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 26, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Ha! This post has two of my favorite things! I LOVE Pace salsa– I’ve tried out some more “gourmet” brands, but I always go back to Pace! And I also love stevia, especially those liquid droppers.

Have a great humpday, Averie!

Ilana — January 26, 2011 at 12:51 pm

salsa mixed with tehina and lime is my favorite salad dressing. I also recently cooked for the fam and combined a bunch of mixed beans, kale, celery, carrots, salsa, and hot sauce. was sooo good, in burritos or on chips (and one night I caught Jon eating it straight from the fridge with a spoon).
    Today- Pilates, babysitting, running around like a chicken with my head cut off to get my class registration settled.

Amy B @ Second City Randomness — January 26, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I love salsa! I put it in chili (for an extra kick!) and also a little bit in wraps when I’m feeling a southwestern flair…

Kat — January 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I <3 stevia! I use it all the time – salad dressings, smoothies, desserts…
    I made the chocolate brownie oats once and (of course I tweaked the recipe! haha) they got really hard in the freezer, but then it was like a cookie – so delish! and it had stevia, of course :)

Susan — January 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Haha this is perfect because I just got my first container of liquid stevia this week and I don’t know what to do with it. Obviously you are a stevia master, so I’ve been paging through your stuff.

I haven’t had salsa in a while actually, but this past summer I had an obsession with salsa and raw broccoli. Don’t eat that before you put on your bikini though!

Eliz@The Sweet Life — January 26, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Love the recipe–looks amazing!! Love your tshirt.

Helen — January 26, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I love to use salsa on my eggs! I have just received my box from NuNaturals so I am eager to start playing around with it…I will get back to you on that one.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — January 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I guess I am boring because I usually just use salsa with tortilla chips. Stevia, on the other hand I use in tons of different ways. I am going to have to try the liquid form though, since the aftertaste does bother me. (I read in your comment up there that the liquid form has less of an aftertaste)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — January 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Averie I hope all of these blog migration issues are solved soon. What a headache for you!

I love salsa — on salads, with chips, on sandwiches, in wraps, and sometimes I like to eat really fresh salsa with a spoon!

I’ve only tried stevia a few times, and it has always been to sweeten my coffee. It is something I’d like to try more in the future though — and I see you raving about it so it must be good!

Plans for the day: work, run a few miles, blog, read, and watch Top Chef!

Cameo — January 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm

1. Salsa goes on EVERYTHING – my fave (and the all time BEST) is Emerald Valley! Mmmm. I had it on a sweet potato with some tuna last night (random combo – was low on food).
    2. I have tried lots of different Stevia’s, and IMO, ain’t nothin’ like sugar. I use it on my morning porridge of quinoa, seeds, goji’s, & hemp protein and it is really good, but I don’t care for it in tea – the aftertaste is too strong.
    3. Wednesday = Birthday Eve! But alas, I have to prep for a meeting today and prep for a big presentation tomorrow so, the best part of hump day is this morning – now – a cuppa coffee and my blogs.

Rachel (tea and chocolate) — January 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Wow I just got caught up with your posts, and so much has changed. Congrats on switching to WP and the new blog design! Very fresh and simple–I like. :)

I use that salsa to make beans and rice. Just add a cup along with the water, (dry) rice and beans before cooking.

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine — January 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I use salsa in the same way as the person above, with beans and rice! Or, instead of beans I sub yellow split peas and it’s awesome! I also love to mix it with hummus. It is yummus.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — January 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I still need to try stevia! Oh, BTW….I tried the banana oatmeal breakfast cake!!! Soooo bomb! :-)

Christina — January 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Morning Averie!

Here’s a quick tip that I always do with salsa! Being Puerto Rican I grew up on rice and beans (ok not really but we ate it a lot). As an adult I make it from time to time but I don’t like using some of the seasonings my mom used because it has a lot of artificial additives in there and the sodium is rediculous! So what do I do to get some extra flavor? I add salsa to my beans!! it thickens up the beans some and it adds a nice flavor. Some other ingredients I add in there is cumin, paprika, oregano, black pepper, if I have tomato sauce I add that, fresh parsley if I have it, onion (sometimes) and sometimes a bay leaf. So there ya go, spanish style beans in a pinch!

Oh and since I do eat eggs sometimes I like to add them to my eggs also, oh and when I have tofu scramble I add it to that lol. Have a great day! It’s blizzarding over there so I’ll be checking out your Aruba pics later hahaha!

Katie — January 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I like salsa more than chips. I think of chips as an edible spoon. My chip will always have more salsa than it can hold. I love it. Salad dressing, mixed with hummus, in scrambled eggs, mixed with nooch and steamed veggies, etc.

Stevia. Yes, love. I just made the cutest (and best tasting) mini banana donuts this morning with stevia.

Christin@purplebirdblog — January 26, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I am a huge fan of salsa on eggs and tacos! And my love for stevia is long and deep (TWSS!)

Angie — January 26, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Today I’m planning on trying Red Mango All natural Smoothies! :) google them, Redmango.com

cailen — January 26, 2011 at 4:20 pm

these recipes look fabulous. the chocolate covered oreo balls look especially intriguing!

so glad i found your blog – will definitely be back again soon : )

p.s. i just did a post for vegan black bean cakes if you want to check it out

Katie — January 26, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I love that salsa! Actually my son loves it too, its the salsa he always wants !

I love mixing salsa and laughing cow cheese together for a dip! I also love salsa on my salad or eggs!

Love the last two pics, LOVE!

Have a great day! xoxo

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses — January 26, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Salsa over a sweet potato with black beans. Totally amazing!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — January 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Oh I love salsa. I eat it with everything, but I think my all-time favorite way to eat it is mixed into avocado. Soooo good. And I like it really spicy!

I use stevia mostly for my tea. I like tea SUPER sweet, so although I don’t really worry about calories I’d rather have three packets of stevia then three packets of sugar…especially since I drink like 5 mugs of tea a day. That’s just diabetes waiting to happen!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 26th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

i looooove my tea and coffee super sweet (in the 2nd half of the day) especially. so yeah, i am with you on your logic!

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 26, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Sweet stevia score, I’ve gotta order more NuNaturals. Great recipe inspiration for it.

1. Either in a vegan chili dish or dumped onto a salad.
    2. Coffee, chia seed pudding, oats, desserts – so many possibilities.
    3. Not too much – working through the grind and trying to step up my workout more tonight.

Ramya — January 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Averie! You inspire me!

I have fell off my good health train…. thanks to a high ankle sprain (running in 5 inch platforms, I’m classy, I know) and you are doing such a great job of inspiring me to jump back on it with recipes like these.

Love the new blog look by the way! Take care. =)

Nichole (Flirting with Food Fitness & Fashion) — January 26, 2011 at 5:30 pm

The new page looks great!

I love putting salsa into mashed avacado for an easy guacamole recipe!

rosa — January 26, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I mix pace salsa with a whole avacado and some lemon juice for easy guac……..and pile (a lot) on a seaweed rice cake…..sooooooooooooo tasty and super simple :)

Erica @ Gratitouille — January 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I like using salsa over spinach, especially when I add avocado to the salad! It gets a little sploshy in there, but the flavor is excellent. If I add in some nutritional yeast, that soaks up some of the juice!

I’ve already done my rugby weights for the day, so I’ve got class, studying, and ballet on the schedule, but also an annoying car fix to take care of! My windshield wiper fluid valve isn’t working :(

Pure2raw twins — January 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm

oh the joys of technology :) Hope everything gets resloved soon!

And yes we love stevia!!!

Alicia — January 26, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I use salsa for dressing too, last night I used it as a layer in my brown rice quesadilla, yum! I made the microwave banana cookie, so good, thanks for the recipe!

Erica — January 26, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Two awesome packages! I <3 salsa. Yes yes, I love it as salad dressing orrr for a quick guacamole- combine salsa with mashed avocado! Perfect. On this hump day, I am on work travel and its a weather mess where I am. I am just hoping 1. I can safely drive to the airport tomorrow morning and 2. my plane actually leaves! But my meetings went well- so thats good!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 26th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

and you’re pregnant! omg drink lots of water, deep breaths, dont stress, and take care of yourself! :)

Beth — January 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Salsa: before I went gluten-free I would put it on Mac & Cheese. Now it is for chips & veg.

Finally got everything moved to the new computer at work. Only thing left to work out is printing. Saving that one for tomorrow.

Jen — January 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new look to your blog!!!!! I just bought my site from blogger for a year, so I guess I’m stuck with it until next December, but then I’m moving to WordPress.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — January 26th, 2011 at 8:25 pm

you probably bought the domain name. which you may think is thru blogger, but it’s probably thru godaddy. You would likely want this anyway even if you transferred to WP. So you’re not really “stuck”. If you didnt own the domain you’d have to have the dot wordpress dot com in your URL anyway. So you can still move…. :)

Sana — January 26, 2011 at 8:32 pm

You blog is looking sexyyyy!

Krista — January 26, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I love to add salsa to soups for a little south western feel. My fam also loves it over chicken with cheese on top…..

Melissa — January 26, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Salsa is good on everything!!
    I use it on squash, tofu scramble, quinoa…the list goes on!

I’m hitting the gym then making some sort of dinner!!

VeggieGirl — January 26, 2011 at 9:41 pm

1.) In my favorite B-S-Cubed dish (black beans, sweet potato, spinach, salsa).

2.) I love using root beer-flavored, chocolate-flavored, and vanilla creme-flavored Stevia in baked goods and smoothies.

3.) Resting and drinking Gatorade (since I am mildly dehydrated and it’s the only thing I can stomach right now)… I have a deadly flu/influenza combination that I’m trying to overcome :(

lauren @ spiced plate — January 26, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I love salsa on lentils…and, just straight up! I put a few drops of stevia in my tea, and it’s pure bliss. This Wednesday I worked, worked out, and am now pondering what to make for dinner before I go and pick up my honey.

bitt — January 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm

i’m not a big stevia fan other than with some fruit tea or lemon water. oh wait and zevia! although less so lately. tastes change.

Ela — January 26, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Wow! I just get back from a couple days on the road and find you transformed! And yet on closer inspection, it’s still the same content with a beautiful new appearance. Seriously, I absolutely love this new layout, colors, everything: clear and easy to read, some of my favorite colors…and yet I’m glad that you’re still you’re old self. Congratulations! And way to hang in with all the inevitable and unenviable glitches. I hope the snow all settles soon and it’s smooth sailing again.

I’m excited for you.
    love
    Ela

natalie — January 26, 2011 at 10:49 pm

wow love the new blog look!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — January 26, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I’m not a huge fan of plain chips and salsa- but if the chips are on a salad with beans, then salsa makes a good dressing!