Chocolate Stash & What to Make Next

Lately I’ve been trying to thin out my cupboards and organize them more.  That’s code for, I’d rather not spend money on non-perishable grocery items until I use up what I have on hand.

Case in point the Curried Ginger & Raisin lentils were made with all on-hand ingredients

And so were the Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes

And so were the Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars

Speaking of Chocolate, when I was going through my cupboards I realized I have quite a stash.  And this is just a fraction of it.

I did do a post about what my on-hand cupboard and pantry staple items are, and yes, chocolate is clearly a key item.

Chocolate makes the world go round, right?

Since we’re talking about a Chocolate Stash, if you need Chocolate Recipes ideas, I have a whole page dedicated to them.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

Chocolate Covered Oreo Balls
And Raw Vegan Dark Chocolate Fudge Balls are just some of the ideas in my Chocolate Recipes Post

From my last post about picture taking in public, it was interesting to hear everyone’s comfort levels.  Some of you are very comfortable and you don’t care at all about snapping away while others are more conservative and self-conscious about it all.

It seems that a point and shoot may make things a little easier and more comfortable than lugging a DSLR out, too.

And it was great to read about what you used to think was a big deal, but have now realized, isn’t such a big deal after all.   I think it’s great when we can keep life in perspective and not sweat the small stuff as much.

Lots of great comments on that post.  Thank you!   And thanks to all the first time commenters, new blog readers, and de-lurkers for stopping by and saying hi!

If you need anything else to get your Chocolate Monster going, try a No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ball with Chocolate Chips.  You can add a high protein option to them, too.

1. Do you have a stash of anything on hand?  If so, what?

I like to keep a stash of paper products (toilet paper, kleenex, paper towels)

Toiletry items (shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, floss, body wash, soap, etc.)

Household items like cleaners and detergents

And of course, I keep a stash of all things sweet and wonderful on hand from sugar to chocolate!
I’ve posted about my cupboard & pantry staples before

2. Do you keep chocolate on hand?

This is a super silly question for me…yes!

3. What should I make next with chocolate? Or what are you going to make next with chocolate?
Cookies, cakes, pies, snack bars, dessert balls, frosting….So many options.
Let me know what you’d like to see me make next!  What are you making next?

39 Responses to “Chocolate Stash & What to Make Next”

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — February 16, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Oh yum. I am just beginning to explore getting a DSLR–you’ve inspired me! However, I don’t know if I have the patience to learn to use it…eek!

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) — February 16, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I have chocolate coconut butter on hand always, just in case the craving comes I am able to satisfy it with a healthy option. Sometimes there are not so healthy choices laying around the house…. like Valentine Candy……….. eeekkkkk… I am planning to to go Malibu in March and I need to be strict with my eating & exercise habits for the next month.

VeggieGirl — February 16, 2011 at 2:06 pm

LOOOVE chocolate, so hooray for stashes :D

Make chocolate chip blondies!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) — February 16, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Love your stash!! I have a HUGE stash of chocolate too! I also have a huge stash of those extra protein cookie dough balls of yours in my fridge…never around for long though! :P

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Boooo the chocolate pics aren’t showing up for me!! Just the ones of the chocolate in your panty. Weird.

I stash up on cereal, carbs like bread and tortillas and dark chocolate. That’s pretty much it, haha. This apartment doesn’t really have room for huge piles of extra stuff, so I just make sure I have the essentials on hand 24/7!

Hmmmmm…..I’d say anything with chocolate is good in my book, though I’m generally more of a chocolate purist and prefer plain things to crazy concoctions!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 16th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Ok i just fixed it. There is a weird WP glitch that if I copy/paste my pics, i.e. take them from an old post or jockey them around in my drafts, rather than doing an actual upload of them every single time, they wont publish EVEN IF it looks like they are going to publish in my draft.

Thank you for telling me. Something that another blogger can appreciate, all the freakin’ blog trivial behind the scenes stuff :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — February 16, 2011 at 2:11 pm

YUM i want some PB fudge! that lokos so good right about now! (ok lots of things llook good right about now lol)

to be honset I am not a HUGE chocolate fan so I really dont ever have any besides unsweetened cocoa powder and some dark chocoalte chips in the freezer for recipes :) I will always know where to go when i want to make some chocolate recipes hehe!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — February 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Oats are always here! I am going to leave the chocolate stash to you since I know you love it!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — February 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I rarely have a chocolate stash on hand because my husband eats it up! Seriously, I try to keep a bag on chocolate chips on hand and it’s gone in 2 days. The man is a chocolate-eating machine.

dns lookup — February 16, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I think your site rocks! Give me with the help of some feed-back about what you think of mine at some time, it is not that extravagant however

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Our family LOVES almond bark!! We’ve used the stuff ever since I was a baby to make chocolate covered pretzels every christmas:) But dagoba and endangered species will always have my heart!

Crystal — February 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I have multiple chocolate stashes. Growing up, my mom and aunts all had several chocolate stashes too, so I always assumed it was normal up until I began going over to friend’s places and being shocked that they sometimes didn’t have any chocolate in the house! So outrageous! ;) But now on top of stashing away chocolate, I also tend to stash toiletry items like TP, tissues, shampoo, paper towel, etc. Another biggie is tea – I can have a whole cupboard full of different teas and feel like there’s nothing to drink. It’s terrible. So as a result I have almost every tea known to woman!

One of my favourite chocolate treats is a good ol’ Nanaimo Bar. It is a Canadian dessert. If you search for it on Google you will come up with multiple recipes. It is basically a three layer dessert. The bottom layer is a chocolate-coconut crust, the middle layer is vanilla custard, and the top layer is solid chocolate. My mom used to make them and store them in the freezer. So yummy!

Kelly — February 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Honestly…chocolate…meh…I can take it or leave it. I don’t ever think about it unless it is offered. My husband isn’t a big chocolate guy either…what can I say we’re freaks.

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Oh yes, pantry cleaning can lead to some fun recipes! :-) Love the chocolate page, I need to hit that up soon.

1. Dried beans and hemp seeds.
    2. Not lately, just cacao powder – does that count?
    3. Bean-based dessert dips seem to be the rage lately, I need to try one.

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I always have some chocolate on hand too… the darker the better. I love that Scharffenberger stuff! I have stashes of veggie broth and tomato paste… and coconut milk!!

Nathan Miller — February 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I always have a stash of canned green beans, corn, and mixed vegetable melody. Also we have an copious amounts of frozen vegetable stir fry packages, and too many to count cans of cream of mushroom, and cream of chicken! Always makes it to put together a quick healthy meal with those staples!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — February 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I’m really bad about using what I have on hand! I see so many great recipes that I end up going shopping to get some ingredients, come home with way too much food, and use that instead of what I have at home.

Helen — February 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm

oh that fudge looks so good right now!

I have a stash of oats on hand – rolled, quick, scottish, etc.

I always have chocolate chips as well :)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 16, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I can’t keep chocolate in the house or I eat it all :) I buy it for when I am going to make something, then I use it all and then I don’t have the chocolate calling me in the middle of the night!

I keep lots of stuff on hand: tp, paper towels like you mentioned, but also bananas, oatmeal, PB and bread are always in the house. I never let those stashes run low!

julie — February 16, 2011 at 6:29 pm

hahaha for valentines day deej bought me the GIANT 1lb 72% dark chocolate bar from TJs. it’s friggn enormous and i can’t waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait to hack into it!

hippierunner — February 16, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Ooh, look at all that chocolate! I’m pretty self-disciplined but one thing I can get outta control with is chocolate. Especially in chip form. So I tend to pick those up only if I have a recipe ready for them or else I eat them by the random handful!

Jess — February 16, 2011 at 6:34 pm

LOVE that chocolate stash. i have one for sureee!!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I stash food! I am seriously like a squirrel. I always have a snack with me!
    I’m more of a fruity dessert person than a chocolate person. However, I would love to see a vegan version of a Carmello candy bar!

Katie — February 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I always have at least one extra package of tp, kleenex, shampoo, etc on hand. Always. One is emptied, and it goes on the list for next time I’m at Target. Pantry always has diced tomatoes, beets, sauerkraut, pickles, and Yes, of course, chocolate. And hard candies. I’m an addict.

I always have fresh veggies on hand too, but if I ever run out of lettuce or greens, that is an instant trip to the store, even if its all I need. Gotta have my daily salad! (Followed by my daily chocolate.)

Mastering Public Health (@MasPublicHealth) — February 16, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I’m feeling exactly the same way about using up what we already have–which is sad because grocery shopping is such a favorite hobby of mine, I’ve gotta restrain myself! For me, this means using up freezer fare (e.g. frozen meals, bagged veggies, homemade baked goods, etc.). But what I *always* have on hand (in extreme quantity/variety) are “BARS”! Amazing Grass, Pure, PROBAR, Clif C/Z-Bar/Crunch, Vega, Jocalat, Bora Bora, Nugo — you name it; I’ve got it! It seems crazy because there’s a drawer completely filled with them, yet I don’t eat them as often as I used to (while away at school), but they most definitely come in handy for unexpected circumstances, car rides, long appointment waits, traveling, etc.! I imagine that this becomes even more true when kids are in the picture. :) That said, I enjoy my own baked goods a lot more… hence the small turnover in my bar stash. PS- There’s definitely a raisin, Amy’s Kitchen, and chocolate stash too! ;)

Bria @ West of Persia — February 16, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Here are a couple of ideas for chocolate recipes:

Vegan, gluten-free chocolate cheesecake

Some sort of chocolate on chocolate cookie (GF would be a huge bonus).

Creative flavors of hot chocolate. I do this a lot: mint hot choc, chai hot choc, etc. Maybe you can come up with some flavor combo I haven’t thought of.

Cindy — February 16, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I have a stash of odd grains, and canned legumes.

not very exciting.

not as much as chocolate.

MAKE BROWNIES.

mmmm
    xoxoxo

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I usually have a stash of beans/lentils (canned), paper products, feminine products … and Almond Milk.

I also currently have a stash of liquid hand soap (the Body Shop was having a sale :-))

Angie — February 16, 2011 at 10:47 pm

How about a healthy chocolate cake vegan style?! I’m curious to see what you would come up with!

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses — February 17, 2011 at 6:25 am

We always keep a stash of paper towels, tp, dish rags, etc. :) I would probably hoard all sorts of other fun stuff but my apt is already popping at the seams. :)

Beth — February 17, 2011 at 6:51 am

We have also been thinning out the cupboards and the fridge / freezer before buying more food at the store. And then making meals that give us more than 1 meal.

Served your GF PB Marshmallow squares with Chocolate frosting to our dinner guest last night. I cut them up into tiny bite-size pieces and put them out on a platter. His thoughts “these are addictive!”

Just restocked our personal care stash: deodorant, toothpaste (for hubby), and shampoo. They were all on sale, so we bought 3-4 of each.

I keep dark chocolate on hand, as well as some semi-sweet chocolate chips to be used in baking / unbaking.

Next? It might try the PB Fudge.

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — February 17, 2011 at 7:24 am

oh my gosh! chocolate stashes are tHE BEST!! i currently have a mega nut butter stash… i have 10 jars open.. yeah, you read it right

Krista — February 18, 2011 at 6:27 am

I’d say that like you, I always have Kleenex, toilet paper, toothpaste, etc on hand. I buy all that stuff at Costco b/c I like the “bulk” aspect of it. Other than that I stash canned beans, for sure. It can be a bit ridiculous at times. HA! Currently, I’m hoarding the v-day cinnamon hearts like its my job. I <3 those things. ;) As for chocolate, I always have 1 Lindt dark sea salt & one Lindt chili chocolate bars hanging around. I eat 2 squares after dinner each night as a "dessert".