Gum It Up

I had a really busy day!  I ran errands, had a two hour appointment across town, but still found time to go to the grocery store and re-stock my fresh produce stash.

And I found some of my favorite gum.  I hadn’t seen it in awhile and I was worried they had phased it out.

But I found it in a 3-pack.  Whew!

I came home and made a salad.

Dressed the salad with Orange Coconut Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette

And added Sesame Ginger Maple Tofu

Snacked on some Cinnamon & Sugar Peanut Buttery Chickpea “Peanuts”

Not the prettiest food but I can assure you the taste is fantastic!

From my last post about Willpower & Restraint, I loved hearing whether you consider yourself to have either, and in what situations you are better than in others.  For as much as I do love to spend money and treat myself, I can be the polar opposite, too, and talk myself out of purchases.  Many of you mentioned you’re similar.

And yes, it is a great mall. For those of you who don’t have a mall in which you really need to “try” too hard to practice restraint, just move to San Diego.  We have plenty of restraint-and-willpower-worthy malls!

Dessert: Raw Vegan Apple Crumble

If you want a no-bake recipe that will please harsh critics, this one will deliver.  I loved baked crisps and crumbles as a kid! And I love this one just as much and it’s fast, no-bake, and without the stick of butter most crumbles call for.

1. Do you like gum?  If so, how many pieces per day do you chew?

Yes, I do.  I’ve gone through phases of life where years have gone by without chewing any and then, bam, I re-discover my love of gum all over.

I have a 3 stick per day, maximum.  Any more than that and I can feel my jaw hurt!

2. Favorite gum?

Currently love Extra Key Lime, Extra Strawberry Shortcake, and for awhile there was an Extra Mango Smoothie that I adored but I haven’t seen that in six months.

Most any of the Orbit or Extra flavors, I like.  As an aside, my sister is a chemist for Wrigley and develops gum.  She created Maui Melon Mint!

I prefer fruity gums to minty ones.  For minty flavors, I just want mints, usually.

3. Did you get a workout in?  Do you like to chew gum while you’re working out?

Yes and it was sunny, but cold!   If you missed my dressing for winter workouts post, I wore the same thing today that I always do.

And yes, I put a stick of key lime gum in when I set out for a 20 minute run.  And it was great!

43 Responses to “Gum It Up”

Euniece — February 22, 2011 at 8:33 pm

oh wow the chickpea peanuts look divine! but then again i think anything covered in cinnamon sugar and buttery goodness is!

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine — February 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I’m so uncoordinated that I feel like I’d choke if I ran with gum in! You have talent!!
    The chickpeas look amazing- is that a new photo of them!?

Lauren @ Hungry Dancer — February 22, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I actually don’t chew gum!! I get too addicted to chewing, so it’s easier to restrain altogether!

Gina — February 22, 2011 at 9:06 pm

5 gum, spearmint flavor. I chew about a pack a day! Such a bad habit :(

Eden — February 22, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I’m a peppermint stride gal. It lasts the longest and gets rid of garlicy breath in a milliseconds. I used to be a “chain” chewer when I was really into my eating disorder. probably because I wasn’t chewing REAL food. Now I’m at about two sticks a day. And I actually chew half a stick at a time. I have a teeny mouth so half a stick it perfect for my bitty mouth ;)

Becky — February 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I love the dessert flavored gum. I like minty kinds, but sweeter mints or fruity. I’m going to try that apple crumble within the next few days… I’ve been meaning to and now I finally have the ingredients, or at least ones that could work to make it my own! I was just wondering if you’d have any tips for someone who wanted to move basically cross country? My bf and I live in LA and want to move to Cali, but it seems impossible with our budget. We wouldn’t have jobs or know anyone, and I remember you saying you had done it before with no initial plan. Any tips???

Stephanie — February 22, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I love gum. I ran out a while ago though and haven’t bought any since because I get way too addicted to it. When I do chew gum I go through four or five pieces a day, and I like to chew on Orbit mist in peppermint spray. I haven’t tried chewing gum while working out but now I kind of want to.

Also your chickpea “peanuts” look amazing.

maria @ Chasing the Now — February 22, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I actually have a “gum problem.” I love it. It’s a way to keep my mouth busy without mindlessly eating a lot of food. I can go through a pack or two a week no problem if I am not careful!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA — February 22, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I love gum. Extra watermelon is my standby, but I’m loving Extra Strawberry Shortcake right now, too. I chew a few pieces a day — more if I’m out and about than when I’m at home.

efka — February 23, 2011 at 3:35 am

I go through phases with gum, I really love gum while driving :D
    And yes, I did my workout today

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 23, 2011 at 3:58 am

Totally unrelated… remind me to make your tofu recipe. ;)

Erica — February 23, 2011 at 4:34 am

Hey girl! The produce looks fabulous. Especially those grapes. I am totally a gum girl. I usually get Trident or Orbit. I’ve tried to cut back…I’m so bad! I did get a workout in- last night I took Body Attack (low impact) and this morning I walked for an hour. Fabulous. Now its work time….

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 23, 2011 at 4:37 am

You need to come to New York…I see all the crazy flavors of gum every day! I’m obsessed with the stuff. Probably half a pack a day. Keeps me from dying of boredom in class/while doing homework. I love the key lime flavor too, as well as Orbit Sweet Mint. And I just rediscovered my love for old-school Doublemint. It’s so underrated! I’ve never tried working out with gum, and given the level of my current addiction, I don’t think I should encourage it :)

lauren @ spiced plate — February 23, 2011 at 4:50 am

girl, i’ve got a secret.
    i used to chew gum the way most people smoke cigarettes.
    we’re talking a pack-a-day habit, here.
    Extra’s Polar Ice. I couldn’t live without it.

Then over the summer i lived on a farm that was a 20 minute ride from any store, and i just decided to quit. cold turkey.
    I can’t start back up again, because then I won’t be able to stop again!

Emily n — February 23, 2011 at 4:59 am

I love cardamom gum that I saw in stores a couple months ago but haven’t seen recently. I think it was made by Orbits? Also, sometimes I pick up a Zantham (sp?) gum at Whole foods. artificial sweeteners mess with my stomach in a big way so I like a slightly less crazy gum.
    love this post. the fruit crumble and salad look great.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 23, 2011 at 5:32 am

I love gum and put myself on a 2-stick max or I’d chew a whole freaking pack. I blame it all on my mom b/c she’s a gum addict as well.

nelly — February 23, 2011 at 5:50 am

love visiting your blog…every morning i smile…there is always a picture of beautiful wholesome pics…of fresh fruits and veggies…and because of you and your inspiration, i have managed to shed many pounds…

thank you.

just needed to tell you.

nelly — February 23, 2011 at 5:51 am

ahhhh…i hate when i mess up…i guess it’s too early for me…i meant to write…”there is always a picture of beautiful wholesome goodness”…DUH!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 23, 2011 at 6:25 am

There are days when I feel like I chewed an entire pack of gum — but some days I have none. I usually have a pack in my purse and we have a stash of 6-8 packs in the kitchen “junk drawer”. Sometimes I feel like it and sometimes I don’t!

I do like those “dessert flavors” although usually I’m a wintergreen fan.

I do like to have some gum when I go out for a run — mostly because if I don’t, I tend to grit/grind my teeth and having a piece of gum keeps my jaw moving.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — February 23, 2011 at 6:29 am

I chew gum like it’s my job, unfortunately.

tamara — February 23, 2011 at 6:31 am

I have a mild ahem…obsession with mint gum. Green eclipse to be exact. In fact, I spent about $25 on it yesterday(it was on sale at Target…I got probably 12-15 3 packs for that).

It is calming to me and can keep a burgeoning panic attack from becoming full-force and it helps my stomach feel better when it’s upset…

A gum addiction is very common in individuals with my phobia(emetophobia…fear of vomiting)

Jen @keepitsimplefoods — February 23, 2011 at 6:39 am

Those chickpea peanuts sound addictive!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 23, 2011 at 6:44 am

I have a MAJOR gum addiction. Extra classic bubblegum flavor is like crack to me.

Susan — February 23, 2011 at 6:55 am

I love that you blogged about gum! Mostly because I love gum! I probably have 6 pieces a day? I like it especially because it keeps me from getting a dry mouth when I’m talking all day training or working at the store. And it also keeps me from mindlessly munching while at home :) Excel Mist (which I think is Orbit in the US?) and Trident Layers are my favourites.

Sarah @ OneLoveSarah — February 23, 2011 at 7:13 am

I love gum! and I love trying all the new crazy flavors. and I even chew it while I workout.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — February 23, 2011 at 8:15 am

I love gum! Sugar free.. extra is my favorite.. the spearmint. I used to smoke for many years and sugarfree gum helps me.. also, in the past when I would be super busy working in restaurants in a stressful environment it helped me release stress by chewing to music while I mass produced a huge amount of food!

I want to lick the tofu off the screen.

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 23, 2011 at 8:45 am

Sounds like a crazy day. Yum, lots of great eats here.

1. Sometimes, I haven’t bought it in awhile though. I used to be a huge gum chewer, but kind of fell out of it when I went high raw – odd, right?
    2. Extra back in the day.
    3. Yes in our home gym while watching Sex and the City 2 and ick, not worth watching!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 23, 2011 at 8:46 am

I was super busy yesterday, too! Still working on an email to you :D

I bought grapes yesterday, too!! They were only $1.57 for a plump bunch! We ate them all in one day!! :shock:

Those chickpeas look soooooo yummmmmy! I have to try them roasted sometime. Just woke up and now I am craving a salad or a spring roll! That’s so funny. You make me feel all tropical and summery. :lol:

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — February 23, 2011 at 9:02 am

THat is my favorite flavor of Extra!!! Soooo good!

Betsy — February 23, 2011 at 10:09 am

Your salads always look so pretty, Averie! I love the way the cucumbers are sliced with their elegant edges. I tend to eat the same old salad and it isn’t very pretty – simply spinach, monukka raisins (the worlds best available only at Whole Foods for 2.99, actually pretty good deal, look for them!) if I am out of raisins, I use dates. So spinach monukka’s sprinkling of parmasan cheese, pinch of salt, and EVOO. I could (do) eat it every day and never tire :) I don’t exercise restraint on my spinach/raisin addiction at all. I do exercise restraint on my lululemon athletic gear tab – I love their clothes!

As for the gum, I like to chew it in the afternoon. A piece or two (or three if I am going out at night I will pop some gum) per day. I like orbit wintermint. I think it was one of their original flavors. Simple, satisfying, in fact, I want some right now! Here’s to smackin’ your lips!

Have a lovely day. It is a “balmy” 46 degrees here in Maine! Running without mittens or a hat!

As for the gum, I don’t run or exercise with gum.

Beth — February 23, 2011 at 11:03 am

I used to be a big Gum chewer / addict. I would easily go through a pack a day. Had to ditch the Gum habit due to reactions to artificial sweeteners. Amazingly, I don’t miss it.

My old favourite was Cinnamon flavoured Dentyne.

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 23, 2011 at 12:49 pm

That is too freakin’ cool about your sister!!! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 23rd, 2011 at 4:16 pm

You’re the only one who commented on that…and yes she has SUCH a cool job!

• Christin@purplebirdblog replied: — February 23rd, 2011 at 4:19 pm

How did she get into that?? I’m totally intrigued now. And I’m glad that I was able to show off my thorough reading skills by catching that tidbit! ;)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 23, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Oh my gosh! I had no idea about your sister! How random and cool!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm

When I am at work I probably go through a few pieces a day … I don’t have a fave though.

Krista — February 25, 2011 at 11:53 am

I do like gum….one that tastes like spearmint. I find it so refreshing. And I will workout with gum in my mouth, esp if I’m running/walking outside. My throat tends to get dry otherwise…

mailing list money making scams — February 26, 2011 at 11:10 am

Thanks for providing really informative posts on your site. How can I share it on Facebook?