Mounds Balls & Surprises

The mail has been very good to me this week.  First, all that peanut butter.  Thanks for all the comments on that post.  You’re all just as big of nut butter freaks as I thought you were.  And I mean that in the best possible way.

The good luck streak in the mail continued with treats from Jess!

I won her recent give away which allowed me to select any recipe from her site and she’d make it for me.  Wow. What an offer!

I spent a long time salivating over her recipes and decided on her Mounds Balls based on Mounds Bar candy bars.  Except her recipe is “healthy”.  Well, as healthy as chocolate, sugar, and coconut can get. And also vegan and GF.  Score!

And score is right.

These balls are perfection!  Coconutty, chocolaty, sweet.  And homemade with T.L.C.  And I can taste that, too.  Jess put some major effort in these, and it didn’t go unnoticed.

And she stuffed a whole almond in each ball so it’s like an Almond Joy meets Mounds Bar.  In ball form.  Genius, Jess.   Thank you so much!

After tasting her wonderful balls, it makes me want to dust off my Ball Recipes and make some.

I have a whole post dedicated to my Ball Recipes and creations such as…

Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Sunflower Seed Butter Vanilla Balls (or PB or AB)

No Bake Flaxseed Cookie Balls

Oreo Balls

Check out the Ball Recipes Post for More Ideas
From my last post about my PB & Co. loot and the Peanut Butter Recipes, I am really glad you enjoyed that one!

I updated my Themed & Specialty Recipes section to also include the Peanut Butter Recipes post, too.  Everything from Stevia Recipes to Raisin Recipes to Ripe Banana Recipes to Game Day and now Peanut Butter Recipes are in the “Themed” & Specialty section.

I loved reading what your favorite nut butters are, too.  Wow, so many nut butter suggestions, so little time.

1. Have you ever created any dessert balls or desserts from scratch that turned out to be awesome?

Jess did!

99% of the recipes I make are not only from scratch, but they are total wing-it endeavors.  I rarely make the same thing twice, and even when I do, I can hardly even follow my own recipe.

Case in point, all my Breads/Muffins/Cakes are wing-it by-products.

Vegan GF Blueberry Streussel Muffins

Threw things in a bowl, stirred, baked.  Hoped for the best.  It worked.

2. Has anyone surprised you with anything good or fun lately?

Crappy surprises like a tax bill, a car repair, or getting upsetting news is the pits.

Good surprises like peanut butter in the mail, Jess’ wonderful Mounds Balls in the mail, Scott putting gas in my car for me, finding my favorite gum again, are all good surprises.

It’s also a great surprise when Skylar says something hilarious.   The things that come out of kids mouths’ are always a surprise, that’s for sure!

Any good or fun surprises for you lately?

39 Responses to “Mounds Balls & Surprises”

VeggieGirl — February 23, 2011 at 8:10 pm

OOOh fabulous treats!

Fun surprise = seeing Riverdance tonight with Suave. SUCH an incredible show!

Gina — February 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm

It’s like Christmas in February! So jealous of all of these amazingly delicious eats :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 23, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Can’t say that I’ve been endowed with any great surprises lately. :( Maybe soon… lol. I like GOOD surprises, HATE bad ones. I’m a control freak, so I really just hate not knowing something, lol.

Those Mounds balls look sooooooooooo yummy! Jess is brilliant :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 23, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Yeah, you’re getting all kinds of goodies in the mail! The balls look awesome, I want them! And I want to try Sunflower Seed Butter Vanilla Balls. Well, all the recipes actually. :-)

1. Yes, they’re a great way to use up almond milk pulp.
    2. My hubby for Valentine’s Day with a new watch … that I haven’t worn yet since it’s too nice and I don’t want to ruin it at work. :-P

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm

No good or fun surprises this week … but the week is not over :-)

We did get a not-so-fun-surprise (house got broken in to yesterday).

Angie — February 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Yum those Coconut Mound Balls look good! I love how easy your recipes are and they don’t use to many ingredients which is great!

Anne — February 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Hmm, nice surprise for me (got three!): I hired a new employee and it’s turning out great. I’m still doing a marathon-elimination-diet thingy and after the major bummer of eliminating tea, I found out I can have an espresso a day with no issue and I’m still high on that “news”. I got an sms from an old friend out of the blue, so we’re meeting up – ALMOST as good as sweets in the mail :-)

Ryan @ Aloha Appetite — February 24, 2011 at 1:01 am

Small treats that pack a PUNCH! Yum!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 24, 2011 at 3:33 am

It’s hard to surprise me!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 24, 2011 at 4:02 am

Yum! Those look so good! I always make dessert balls from scratch, and just like you, I rarely follow a recipe. I kind of just wing it and hope it turns out well!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 24, 2011 at 4:26 am

My pumpkin spice muffin tops were a total wing-it recipe and came out to be AWESOME. Mike says they’re the best thing I make! Sometimes you get lucky….but most of the time, I’m doing trial and error for awhile.

I had one pretty big surprise in my personal life recently that was neither good nor bad, just unexpected. A close friend figuring out what they want in life- I’m glad they’re finally choosing the path that makes them happy :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 24, 2011 at 4:30 am

We both had balls on the brain today ;-)

kate@ahealthypassion — February 24, 2011 at 5:02 am

yum those look awesome im a sucker for all things coconut enjoy!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 24, 2011 at 5:05 am

Omgggg girl I have been obsessed with coconut lately!! I cannot wait to make those, duh why did I not think of making a healthier version!

Jess@HealthyExposures — February 24, 2011 at 5:06 am

Aw, thanks for your sweet words, Averie :) And again – you are VERY welcome. It was a pleasure (non)baking for you :P When I was driving home yesterday I randomly thought of it, and was wondering if you would make your own rendition, and immediately got excited for it, haha.
    I do way too many wing-it recipes! haha. For some strange reason, this usually ends up working in my favor, but it can’t always be that way :P Of course, then there’s time where the failure leads to a big breakthrough!
    Have a great day, Averie! Again, glad you enjoyed :)

Val — February 24, 2011 at 5:13 am

These look so delicious!!! Happy Thursday!

Tina — February 24, 2011 at 5:14 am

I made vegan chocolate chip peanut butter cookies without a recipe and just kind of winged it. They were the best cookies I have ever tasted! Now if only I wrote it down….

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — February 24, 2011 at 5:48 am

Those look amazing!

Your scored big with that peanut butter!

I’m the same way with cooking and baking. I am writing my recipes down for my cookbook, but it’s not easy and i never make the same thing twice the same way.. haha

julie — February 24, 2011 at 5:54 am

oh! i just put coconut oil in my oats and it reminded me of mounds. i LOVE coconut fusion haha so i think these balls would be right up my thang. hahahaha it’s early and my mind is a blur so i have no idea what i’m speaking of

ANYWAYS from your last post i’ve had white choco wonderful in my drawer at work for like over a year! i don’t love it it’s not peanutty enough for me but its not bad with apples for a snack. i don’t love the pb&co pbs they’re too ‘fixed up’ for my liking but i bet they’re amaze in recipes!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 24th, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for the unbiased review of WCW. I have wanted to try it and thanks for the 411 upfront :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — February 24, 2011 at 6:09 am

Mounds + Almond Joy are my favorite! I made a similar treat, but in bar form. I usually wing it when it comes these kind of treats, too.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 24, 2011 at 6:12 am

I’ve never made my own ball recipes, but I know yours are the best! I’m not a coconut fan, but those balls that Jess made look delicious!

Fun surprises for me: I got a facebook friend request from a childhood friend of mine — I haven’t heard from her in at least over 10 years — that was so cool!

Handy Guy — February 24, 2011 at 6:28 am

They look absolutely DELICIOUS! Those mound balls are very popular in Australia. They are yum.

Alyssa — February 24, 2011 at 6:39 am

*Sigh.*
    Gotta go clean the drool off my computer keyboard.
    Again.

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo — February 24, 2011 at 7:23 am

Those balls look out of control! I need to hop over to her site and get the recipe!

I got two nice surprises in the mail yesterday: 1) a thank you card from my sister for her birthday gifts, and 2) two free KIND bars!

Katie — February 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

I got a few crappy surprises yesterday. Too many, actually.

I jsut opened some sfsb and I’m going to make those balls. Maybe that will help me forget the crappy surprises from yesterday?

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — February 24, 2011 at 7:32 am

Those look so good. Yours were the first balls I copied, Averie, so they always hold a special place in my heart :) I’m waiting for some news (medical and grad school) lately so I’m hoping they’ll be good surprises!!

marla — February 24, 2011 at 8:51 am

Lucky you to receive these treats in the mail!! These mounds balls look delish. Enjoy your treats :)

Beth — February 24, 2011 at 10:12 am

We make everything from scratch at our house. I usually follow a recipe the first time, and then change, tweak, or mix it up ingredient wise afterwards.

My mother-in-law had bought some baked gluten free goods (muffins, cupcakes, and butter tarts) for us. And, she made lasagne with rice noodles along with yummy salads. We all ate that for 2 meals. Good surprises :)

lauren @ spiced plate — February 24, 2011 at 11:34 am

making recipes from scratch and winging it is the best, and most satisfying way to create new things and have fun in the kitchen. It’s only since i started writing my blog that I realized I had to measure and write things down so I could share !

I love when things are gluten free, too — those blueberry treats look like I could eat a dozen of them for breakfast, and be perfectly happy about it.

Yesterday I saw my best friend for the first time since September. She surprised me with a bottle of ginger kombucha — I was very pleased!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 24th, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Im the same way…before my blog, I never wrote things down or even CARED how much of a certain ingredient i put in…now I pay attn b/c I know that when I reproduce the recipe for my blog, I better have a decent idea whether it was a cup or a half cup of this or that :)

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Good surprises – TWO interviews for new jobs this week! The phone interview went great today for one place, but the one I really want I’m interviewing for tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

reduced heels inserts — February 28, 2011 at 9:33 pm

You made a couple of nice points there. I did a search on the topic and discovered most folks will have the same opinion with your blog.

reasonable priced heel inserts — March 1, 2011 at 12:34 am

Nice post. We discover some thing tougher on different blogs everyday. It’ll always end up being stimulating to see content material from other writers and exercise something from their store. I’d prefer to apply certain with the content material on my weblog regardless of whether you don’t thoughts. Natually I’ll provide you with a hyperlink in your internet blog. Thank you for sharing.