New Camera Bag

I have been waiting for this bag for about 6 weeks and it arrived yesterday!

I had this bag custom made.   You want to know where, don’t you?

From Porteen Gear on Etsy.  The bag was handcrafted by the extremely talented Robyn Porteen.   And also thanks to Madeline for tipping me off about Robyn’s great bags!

I hand-selected and chose everything about the bag’s colors and details.

In case anyone is serious about ordering one, these were my choices:

Accent Fabric: Old World Fan
Leather: Chocolate
Strap Color: Brown
Waxed Canvas: Tan
Interior Fabric Color: Teal

For more info on the dizzying array of choices, see Robyn’s other website, Porteen Gear.  The combinations and permutations on all the different fabrics are mind-boggling and I spent an entire weekend just looking things over.  And then looking some more.  And changing my mind some more.

I am thrilled with how it all came together!

All these amazing pockets will store my DSLR Camera, and the Nifty Fifty LensAnd hopefully many more lenses, one day, too.

The bag has zippers, compartments, and pockets, that just keep going and going.  And going.  And I love that!

I am thrilled with my bag.  Robyn is amazing to work with and made sure I was 100% satisfied with my bag.  Her workmanship is amazing, her after-the-sale care has been outstanding, and I know I will have this bag for years to come.  I’ve had my pink Chanel Bag for years, so I know when I find a bag I love, I will keep it for a very long time.

From my earlier post and recipe for Chipotle Salsa Lentils with Mixed Vegetables, I’m glad the recipe sounded good to you.

Lots of you mentioned that you haven’t tried making lentils at home because of the “work”.  I didn’t soak these, I didn’t do anything “special” or complicated.  I just boiled water and added lentils, and in less than a half hour, the whole meal was ready.

Dessert: Peanut Butter Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies (With Peanut Flour, GF & Vegan).

If you don’t have peanut flour, use another flour like almond, coconut, whole wheat, etc.  I have heard mixed reports on the peanut flour being discontinued but so far, my TJs still is saying, it’s gone and done.  Sniff sniff.

1. Do you like bags and purses?

I do!  I have so many bags.  Everything from gym bags, bags I take to work, lunch and on-the-go-snack bags, bags I keep Skylar’s things in, purses, handbags, evening clutches, and that’s not even counting my luggage.

Yes, I love bags.

2. Have you ever had anything custom made?  What was it?  Anything you’d like to have custom made?

For me, I’ve had:

Nike shoes customized with colors.  Pink was involved.

Furniture that I selected the upholstery and wood choices (from a list)

And with a few different houses I’ve owned, I was able to select some of the trim, fixtures, and more final elements like color of carpet and paint.  But I’ve never bought a house early enough in the building process to select things like banister color, type of granite, type of tiles on the roof, type of shower head, or that sort of thing.  In that sense, I am glad I have never bought a house at when it was just a dirt lot.  Thinking about what color to paint the baseboards in the spare bedroom and what size and color knob to put on the toothbrush and hairbrush drawer in the third bathroom is just a bit much.  I think it could be a bit crazy-making for me.

3. Do you like choices or do they overwhelm you?

I love choices but they can overwhelm me.  Not always, but sometimes.

I think most people overwhelmed with too many choices.

Either that, or you start second-guessing the choice you thought you just were “all set” with making.   Does that ever happen to you?  You choose something and then change your mind.  And change it back again?

Have a great night!

58 Responses to “New Camera Bag”

Kristina @ spabettie — February 10, 2011 at 3:27 pm

LOVE the new camera bag!!

I also love handbags… and have spent far too much on them in the past… but they last forever!! :)

I had a SUIT custom made for me once – it was an awesome experience and the suit is lovely… again, something I will have forever. It’s a skirt and jacket suit, I used to wear suits every day to work and loved it! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Love the camera bag! So cute!

Baking 'n' Books — February 10, 2011 at 3:36 pm

That bag is GORGEOUS! I would use it as a hand-bag..;)

Lentils – I should cook with them. They always seems so…”small”? And I like stuff with more chewy texture. But I should try. Do you eat beans? I do them :)

We never got peanut flour here anyways – but why are they discontinuing it anyways – is it not selling well or just one of those things?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 10th, 2011 at 4:52 pm

i eat some beans, yes :)

read the post i linked about the peanut flour issues…a whole host of things :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — February 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Love the bag! I love old style craftsmanship! Good for you giving her the job to make it. I talked to my guys at TJ’s too and they said the same thing…it will be gone. So sad, but I guess there are other options out there.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Oh my GOSH– I LOVE it!!!! So perfect, and so YOU!

Buy Cheap Acomplia Online — February 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for informative sites and your post looks very interesting for me.

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — February 10, 2011 at 3:45 pm

1st off: LOVE the bag!!! So cute!

2nd: We had our couch custom made, and I’m sure it will last us for years to come. We love it, and it is good quality. We had a plaid 30 year old couch before that that lasted through my husband’s college years. Of course, it had a couch cover over it though. We are the type of people who will pay a lot for a something good quality that we know will last a long time and we will save up for it. Yes, we could have had nice-looking furniture a while ago, but it would have been cheaply made and fallen apart already.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 10, 2011 at 3:47 pm

That is gorgeous!! I love custom-made things, I had my prom dress and a hammock custom made:)

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — February 10, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I’ve never had anything custom made. I love your new camera bag. Mine is basic black and I’m feeling some serious camera bag envy now! :-)

Ashlei — February 10, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Wow Averie that purse is gorgeous! I love it :)

Brittany — February 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm

WOW!!! My husband just started shooting…but he bought a backpack….I don’t think he’d go for the bag :)

I on the other hand, LOVE bags…my favorite is my Elaine Turner pink leather bag.

For Christmas, I had custom made aprons made for me and my three daughters (ages 8 and under…) too cute!!!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 10th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I replied to you re comments. But more than 10 show for me.

If anyone else sees this feel free to chime in…Brittany only sees 10 comments at a time on her screen. Anyone else have this issue?

I see as many as there are…sorry, Brittany for the lack of help on this techie issue.

melissa @ the delicate place — February 10, 2011 at 4:18 pm

that is a beautiful bag! i only own one purse and it’s a leather one from anthropologie that will last me forever. it’s a gray-brown color and i love it! i like having choices because i usually ‘know it when i see it’ type deal. the more options the better!

Alicia — February 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

What an awesome bag! I have many customized nike’s, I’m obsessed!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — February 10, 2011 at 4:20 pm

wow thats beautiful! I can tell that amazing craftsmanship went into that bag. it looks like super high quality leather and I love the color scheme!!! beautiful and congrats on it!!! In the jewish religion we say MAZEL TOV haha and wear it in good health :)

I do love choice when it comes to colors and food and everything! I love choice! I usually know what I want though :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 10th, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Mazel Tov and “gay en guzunter-ate”. I know that’s not how you spell it but that’s what my hubs says which he says translates approximately to wear it/use it in good health.

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 10, 2011 at 4:21 pm

That bag rocks! I love the color scheme A LOT. I really want to make a pair of custom Converse shoes or custom Vans. I’ve played on the websites a bunch with the mix and match selections… toooo much fun. And someday I would LOVE a custom purple paint job for whatever sweet car I end up with later in life!

Erica — February 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm

CUTE! I love that its so personnel to you! I do like purses! I like how they can add to or change an outfit.

Angie — February 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

YES I have a coach bag obsession!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 10, 2011 at 5:54 pm

That bag is beautiful! I love it and it looks like it is going to hold up well. Good choice!

I like having choice, but there are times when there are too many to choose from — in that instance I have to go with my first choice, my gut instinct, or else I end up questioning if I made the right decision!

julie — February 10, 2011 at 6:32 pm

i LOVE handbags. like seriously addicted and can’t go shopping for them because i would buy every great bag under the sun haha. i have a great collection of them and think they make an outfit amazing :) your new bag is fab! looks like great quality too!

bahh i need to get to TJs for more peanut flour. i’m going to be so lost without it!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — February 10, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Gorrrrgeous bag, girl!! So useful to boot :)

Katie — February 10, 2011 at 6:46 pm

That bag is really well made, you can tell just form the photos! I am sure it wasn’t cheap, but you get what you pay for. I love that you supported etsy too!

I am all about handbags, but I never buy them. I make them. I guess you could say I have a few items that were custom made for me. :) By me.

Sarah @ onelovesarah — February 10, 2011 at 7:04 pm

That camera bag is amazing! so pretty. I love bags/purses and one that you can customize is even better!

Helen — February 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I love bags…..just as much as shoes. I have never had anything custom made. I love choices :)

amy — February 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I LOVE bags of all kinds, I’m a total bag lady from way back. I used to love designer bags and my addiction ended with 2 very expensive (almost embarassing) that I don’t know I’ll ever part with. That ended when I found etsy about 2 years ago. I’m SO addicted to etsy I try and buy every single thing there I can. I’ve had everything custom made from deoderant, to a napkin holder to numerous bags, baby bibs, computer bags, pencil cases, wristlet, re-useable produce bags, hand made ‘ziploc’ bags, rings, necklace, earrings, winter hat, gosh the list goes on and on. I love everything etsy is about and I have had so many great experiences its hard to choose my favorite. I’ve watched the bag maker ‘Moop’ grow up and her bags are amazing, vegan, durable, cute, simple and hand made with love in pittsburgh. So yeah, I’m a fan. Rose of Sharon Acres is another favorite, she lives on a goat farm and the whole family makes these awesome personal products that helped me transform my tons of hair care/make up needs into a simplefied, so good I could almost eat everything I wear, easy streamlined system.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 10th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

i love etsy too and you made me remember i have had other things customized like bath and body products for babies when skylar was a baby.. i went w/ a similar woman to your rose of sharon sounding company. i love those type of finds!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — February 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Such a cute bag!! I need to get a new one..the one I hae now is really boxy and just not appealing or comfortable to lug around.

Erica D @ Gratitouille — February 10, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I get a little overwhelmed with choices, but I love big bags!! I tend to carry everything around with me.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 10th, 2011 at 8:30 pm

so ironic..i was JUST on holly/everythings blog and commented right under you…and then got a comment from you on my blog. thank you :)

Gina — February 10, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Haven’t stopped by in a bit! Just caught up on your pap post! I was laughing so hard. Definitely need some chocolate after that!

I really love bags, but I’ve got a horrible shoe fetish!

bitt — February 10, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Bummer she doesn’t make any vegan bags. I like the fabric.

I’ve had some custom dresses and jackets made. Nice to make it fit right.

Allison @ Happy Tales — February 10, 2011 at 9:35 pm

You’re bag is to die for!! Thanks for passing along the info, as well as the exact specs you used! I mayyyy be looking into something for myself one of these days ;P

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 10, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Too funny we both reviewed camera bags today. :-) Love your bag, great colors.

1. Yes even though it can be hard finding vegan bags.
    2. Yes, many computers from custom buils to customized Dells.
    3. Both, I like a certain amount of choices, but not too many. :-)

Eden — February 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Maddie knows her stuff! That bag is awesome!

I like bags but I’m SO picky about them. It needs to be really awesome for me to buy it!
    And as far as choices, I am the queen of indecisive-ness so too many choices stress me out. I often have people just choose for me!

Anne — February 10, 2011 at 10:48 pm

That is a BEAUtiful bag! I’ve considered having custommade bags done, but never had the money…I think needing one for a specific purpose like a camera would be a great excuse ;-)

I am not a huge bag-shopper, but I do think it over a lot when I get one – I think a bag is a practical item, and a nice one you’ll enjoy every day, while an ugly or unconfortable one you’ll regret every day…yours looks like a score! Have a nice w-e when you get there!

sophia — February 10, 2011 at 11:48 pm

LOVE THAT BAG, Averie!!! I’ve actually been looking for a camera bag too, as mine is kind of torn in the seams. I wonder how much that cost you? And does it protect your camera and equipment well?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 11th, 2011 at 2:38 am

$150ish

And yes, it’s protective. I mean, it’s still a soft-sided fabric bag, but it is protective nonetheless. I think you would dig it :)

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — February 11, 2011 at 1:13 am

i love the fabric on the bag! such a cute design! i LOVE bags– i mean i actually don’t go for expensive ones- i opt for the brands at target haha, but so fun to shop for them!hmm have i had anything custom made? OH YES.. i have a silver ring on my thumb that i wear everyday that says “believe’ and then my parents wrote ‘we love you’ on the inside that they got custom made for me a few years ago!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 11, 2011 at 1:59 am

Your new camera bag is gorg! I love bags! Especially designer ones. :) Pocket books + sunglasses float my boat!!

Beth — February 11, 2011 at 7:39 am

Wow! It doesn’t even look like a camera bag. And all the details are fabulous.

My favourite bag is a sling bag. I call it my purse. I don’t use normal purses unless I’m travelling on business.

Choice is good, but endless choice can put me in a tailspin of either indecision or constantly changing my mind.

Lisa — February 11, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Although I usually love your site -and your recipes, I was really surprised and appaled that you bought a bag specifically with leather! If you avoid meat and this helps ease the suffering of animals, how can you choose something like a bag that exploits animals?! I am just very surprised at this ….

Linda — February 12, 2011 at 12:02 am

LOOOOVE that camera bag!! Will definitely check out her website!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I like choices … but not too many!

hurricane725 — February 14, 2011 at 12:08 am