Pantry & Refrigerator Staples

I made a TJ’s run yesterday and picked up a few staples

I see other bloggers sharing what they have in their cupboards, refrigerators, and what they keep on hand.  So I figured it was mu turn to share.

Things I always have on hand:

1. Sugars/Sweeteners (white, brown, agave, maple syrup, honey, stevia)

2. Chocolate (chips, barks, bars, cocoa powder, white, milk, dark)

3. Nuts (almonds, cashews) & Seeds (chia, hemp)

With nuts and chocolate you can make

Raw Vegan Dark Chocolate Fudge Balls

4. Dried Fruits (raisins, dates, coconut flakes)

I always have a bag or two of these on hand

Check out my Recipes Using Raisins Post, too

5. Flours (almond, coconut, peanut)

6. Oats (entire post showing my Oat Recipes Here)

No Bake Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Or, use oats to make a

Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter and Oat Snack Bar

7. Rice, potatoes, lentils, canned beans

For recipes like Spicy Vegetable, Corn, & Bean Soup

8. Coffee & Tea (see my recent Coffee Review Post)

Such as….Smores Coffee!

Delish.

9. Condiments (ketchup, mustards – yellow, sweet, hot, dijon, etc. Salsa, Vegenaise)

I use Veganaise to make Vegan Slaw Dressing which I pour over most all veggies.

10. Vinegars & Oils/Butters (olive, hemp, coconut)

I use Coconut Oil for No Bake Mint Chocolate Chip Snowballs

11. Spices & Seasonings + Nooch. For a list of 15 Nooch Recipes, check out This Post

12. Milks (almond, coconut)

I use coconut milk for Caribbean Coconut Rice with Garbanzos & Veggies

Or use coconut milk in

Vegan Fudge – 10 Min No-Bake (Gluten/Soy/Tree-Nut Free)

13. Cereals

Rice Krispies cereal is key in my Vegan Gluten Free Rice Krispie Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

14. Nut Butters (mostly PB but I have others, too)

PB + Cereal in Special K Bars

15. Fresh Fruits & Veggies of all kinds. And a more limited supply of frozen and canned.

99 cents for this kale bunch

I eat at least one tomato per day.  It’s a pricey little habit because I really only purchase vine-ripe, but I don’t skimp on my tomato addiction.  There are worse things.

With that list, I can pretty much make anything and everything I make!

Of course off the top of my head, I’m sure I am forgetting things, but really, nothing on that list is too fancy.  Some of the items are not things I use every day, but they are in the back of my cupboards for a rainy day.

From my last post about Challenge: 10 Facts, I am glad you liked mine and it was great to read yours!  Thanks for playing along.

Questions

1. What are your pantry, refrigerator, or cupboard staples?

I also have a list of things I use for baking/unbaking at the bottom of my Chocolate Recipes post.  Cupboard and pantry items and ingredients that I keep on hand to whip up goodies at a moment’s notice.

2. What has made you laugh today?

Skylar told me she was hibernating.   And explained that means when you sleep for a long time.  And since when is a barely 4 year old sleeping only 7.5 hours considered “a long time”?  I guess it must be all that Birthday excitement!

Many thanks to those of you who have continued to comment and wish her well on her birthday!  She’s my big 4 year old now.

P.S. Somewhat Related to this post are these two other posts:
Favorite Kitchen Things & Appliances (What to Buy, What to Skip)

Tips for Saving Money on your Grocery Budget

Enjoy your day, gang, and fill me in on what’s in your cupboards and fridge!

67 Responses to “Pantry & Refrigerator Staples”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 1, 2011 at 3:34 am

I need to try that s’mores coffee! It sounds delicious :)

VeggieGirl — February 1, 2011 at 3:36 am

What made me laugh today = the movie “No Strings Attached.”

CathyK — February 1, 2011 at 3:47 am

the fact that it’s soooo cold made me laugh today – if you don’t take a lighthearted approach to the weather right now, you’ll be quite miserable for weeks on end!!!
    haha, your post reminds me of that show “behind closed doors” – thanks for sharing your staples! nothing wrong with a fresh tomato a day, either.
    oatmeal, pb, apples, salad, tofu – top five staples that i am never without!
    have a great day with the now 4 year old!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 1, 2011 at 3:59 am

Happy belated birthday to your princess!

I’ve never gotten the raisin medley – I think I’m going to get that next time!

Lisa — February 1, 2011 at 4:23 am

Every time you post that raisin medley…I really really want it. I don’t know why–it’s just raisins! But I’m a sucker for pretty stuff, and those look better than plain old raisins.
    I definitely have many of the same things as you in my cupboards.
    I also usually have maca and a few other weird things like that. Def always have stevia!

Jess@HealthyExposures — February 1, 2011 at 4:26 am

Our pantries and refrigerators must look very similar :P I nodded my head to everything you’ve shown!
    So far today, I’ve laughed at myself for forgetting the chia egg for my pancakes. Whoops. Turns out it’s not critical to successful pancakes ;)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 1, 2011 at 4:30 am

Your pantry looks glorious! Will you invite me over for dinner? :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 1, 2011 at 4:34 am

The baking supplies I keep on hand are always kind of random depending on what I’ve made recently, but I ALWAYS have the goods for Super Charge Me cookies on hand. Oats, maple syrup, spelt flour, flax…God forbid I should want to make them and be out of something!

Eliz@The Sweet Life — February 1, 2011 at 4:37 am

what a great post–love how you categorized things!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — February 1, 2011 at 4:38 am

Oatmeal, almond milk, apples, NuNaturals, veggies (something seasonal), beans and coffee. All of these are a must for me to survive!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 1, 2011 at 4:56 am

I always have those things too– although we’re OUT of coffee right now!!! Gasp!!! :-)

I usually also have canned tomatoes and vegetable broth. And because of Ryan, we always, always, always have tortilla chips in the house :-)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 1, 2011 at 5:26 am

I like to keep my pantry full – aka I over-buy like I might not get to the store again. I keep tons of cartons of veg broth on hand for soups, I have dried beans like Whole Foods bulk section then I have bags of them cooked off and frozen. I will never run out ;-) I always have oatmeal, a variety of flours, barley, canned tomatoes, tons of frozen veggies, tons of sauces/condiments, and spice blends.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 1, 2011 at 6:11 am

That is my favorite brand of stevia in the whole wide world! Have you tried their baking blend? I use it instead of sugar in EVERYTHING, plus it is loaded with fiber:)

I think I will have to do a post like this, I love seeing other people’s cupboards, and everyone’s doing it;)

No matter what, I am ALWAYS sure to have plenty of fresh fruits and green veggies on hand..otherwise, I would start gnawing on trees.

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 1, 2011 at 6:20 am

Great list, we have a lot of the same staples. :-)

1. Hemp seeds, almonds, cashews, carrots, spinach, kale, tomatoes, red peppers, onions, cilantro, sprout seeds, lentils – to name a few.
    2. Too early, but I guess my dog standing on me this morning to get me out of bed.

Angie — February 1, 2011 at 6:21 am

I always make sure I have almond milk, frozen fruits for smoothies, protein powder, Fruits and veggies (peppers) tofu and almond milk. I also make sure i Have almond buter or soy butter too!

melissa @ the delicate place — February 1, 2011 at 6:23 am

not much right now haha, most things are in a box but i know i’ve got hemp protein powder, stevia, cocoa, olive & coconut oils, a ton of spices etc. right now i’m mainly doing eggs, fresh produce and a couple cans of tuna here and there until we get settled.

nelly — February 1, 2011 at 6:23 am

i made the microwave chocolate peanut butter oat bar last night…and YUMMY! thanks so much for the recipe! i also used your recipes for the one bite blueberry streusel muffin and banana bread and came up with something somewhat different…because i didn’t have all of the same ingredients!!! again, thank you for the inspiration!!!!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — February 1, 2011 at 6:35 am

I really need to make another trip to TJ’s. I haven’t been in a long time. I always love seeing what other people buy at the grocery store. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy — February 1, 2011 at 7:14 am

Okay, I’m on a mission to find that Smores coffee (and the DD strawberry shortcake!). I loved seeing all of your pantry staples–mine are very similar! :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) — February 1, 2011 at 7:19 am

wow, that kale looks so fresh and vibrant! i cant wait to have it in the garden again, winter is draaaagging onnn

Gracie — February 1, 2011 at 8:06 am

I’m so glad you mentioned those recipes using coconut milk…I have a can in the pantry that I’ve been dying to put to use!

And you can be SURE I’ll be on the lookout for S’mores coffee…!

Tabitha — February 1, 2011 at 8:35 am

Your pantry and refrigerator look very similar to mine! You keep a few things that I don’t let myself keep around, because I have a bad habit of eating anything and everything if I have it (chocolate, sugars (other than maple/agave/stevia), cereals, and peanut butter). Most of these things I buy in very small quantities, or only when I need them for something specific. Additionally, I always have flax seeds and almond butter. Other than that…everything’s about the same! Fresh fruits and veggies the most; usually whatever I can get at the farmers’ market, plus the staples I can’t get there I grab at the grocery.

P.S. I loooooove tomatoes, too! We get beautiful and delicious tomatoes here in Indiana in the summer. Right now, everything’s pretty much crappy…but I get the best ones I can find. I have to have my tomatoes!

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses — February 1, 2011 at 8:49 am

My 8 yr old turns to her friend and says: It’s my mom’s LAST day of eating raw.
    Friend: What’s that mean?
    Iz: She doesn’t have to eat living food all.the.time.
    Friend: Living food? You mean like animals? Like a raw cow?
    Iz: No…like plants silly.
    Friend: Hmmm…I don’t get it. At least she’s pretty.

(I was like…guys….I’m standing RIGHT HERE!) lol….kids are so funny!

rebecca lustig — February 1, 2011 at 9:13 am

coffee smores?! sounds like the best crack to me! hah

dragonmamma/naomi — February 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

My selections are very similar to yours, but with some notably non-vegan exceptions. I always have canned tuna, lots of eggs, Aidell’s frozen Chicken-Teriyaki Meatballs, ground beef, and I frequently pick up a rotisserie chicken.

Things you buy that I never or rarely buy: Cereal, tomatoes, stevia, and flavored coffee. I like to have plain coffee flavored-up with either vanilla creamer or Bailey’s Irish Creme! (I’m still working on that jumbo bottle I bought on New Year’s eve; almost done with it, though!)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 1st, 2011 at 12:47 pm

meant to reply to you the other day re eating out and it diminishing (the modest) yield you are making at your job..YES! So true!

If you need help w/ the bailey’s, just LMK :)

I used to buy more flavored coffee but lately have been flavoring w/ vanilla coffee creamer or with stevia.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 1, 2011 at 9:21 am

Vine ripened tomatoes are the way to go!

Always in our house: almond milk, protein powder, oatmeal, bananas, bread, peanut butter, salad mix. Always. And we could pretty much live off all of those ingredients as well!

I’m glad Skylar had a great birthday!

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

I always have brown rice, veggie broth, tomato paste, oats, canned beans, Almond Breeze, and peanut butter. I could survive on these things alone if I had to! :)

Red Deception — February 1, 2011 at 10:11 am

Oh my gosh – there are only a few staples! I go through phases where I am obsessed with a particular food or meal, then I get bored with it and it changes. Last week it was goat cheese, right now it’s salads (I know, very very random!).

If I had to pick staples that are constantly in my cupboards or fridge, I would have to say Macintosh Apples, Cold-Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, fresh White Fish, Organic Seaweed, Sushi Rice, Wild Salmon, Almond Milk, and Cheese String!

So far I haven’t laughed today, but I have made the effort to smile!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — February 1, 2011 at 10:34 am

I wish we had a TJ’s soooo bad here in Austin! I think Whole Foods would throw a massive fit if they did though lol

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) — February 1, 2011 at 10:41 am

Love this post! It’s really interesting seeing inside someone’s cupboards…or maybe that’s just me being nosy! :P

My staples include fruit and veg, nut butters and dark choccie! :D

Beth — February 1, 2011 at 10:46 am

That is quite the list of things you keep on hand. Got me thinking that it may be time to restock some of my “essentials”. Will be checking the stocks in the pantry tonight.
    Still haven’t found any peanut flour in town, but I’m looking forward to trying it when I do.

I have a feeling we are running low on the follow staples: local unpasturized honey, raisins, shredded coconut, beans, cocoa powder, salad greens, baby spinach, apples, frozen berries, and sweet potatoes.
    Bought some chia seeds in bulk & on sale. So we are set for quite a while on that front.
    Last week we found bigger jars of Almond Butter, huge boxes of tea (green and regular) at Costco and stocked up on those too.

Today’s smile: hubby & cats burrowing deeper under the covers as I was leaving for work.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 1st, 2011 at 12:48 pm

well it’s not like i am 22 living in a dorm room so i have a decent amount of stuff but i do end up using it all…eventually :) lol

Helen — February 1, 2011 at 10:57 am

What made me laugh today? I work in a portable building at my school. The weather is stormy so I was told I had to come to the library during the storm along with the four other classes that are in the portables as well….very funny! Oh wait that doesn’t make me laugh it makes me cry, but them I will just cry until I laugh….lol!!

Gina — February 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

Nut butter, canned beans, hummus, fresh veggies, fresh fruit, non-dairy milk, frozen bread, granola bars and microwaveable meals are my college kitchen staples :)

Sabina — February 1, 2011 at 11:23 am

Hey Averie!

A well-stocked pantry is a priority in our home! Here are our staples (it’s a long list!):

– dried herbs and spices (way too many to count!)
    – dried beans and lentils (red lentils, green lentils; kidney, mung, navy, romano, black beans; chickpeas, split peas – green and yellow; bean soup mix)
    – rice (basmati – brown and white; arborio; thai jasmine; sticky)
    – nuts (whole raw almonds, almond slices, chopped peanuts, cashews)
    – seeds (chia, flax, pumpkin, sesame, sunflower)
    – dried fruits (shredded coconut, coconut powder, apricots, cranberries)
    – pasta (spaghetti, bow ties, scoobi do)
    – flours (wheat, chickpea, spelt, gluten-free)
    – baking (baking powder, baking soda, icing sugar, choco chips, cocoa powder, carob powder)
    – misc powders (maca, pysllium husk, VEGA protein powder)
    – oats (rolled, steel cut)
    – other grains (barley, bulgar, couscous, wheatberries, quinoa, millet)
    – oils (grapeseed, olive, coconut, avocado)
    – vinegars (balsamic, white, white wine, rice)
    – fresh fruit (bananas, kiwis, berries, melons, MANGOS!)
    – fresh vegetables (kale, spinach, celery, onions, garlic, carrots, peppers, zucchini, jalapenos, potatoes, sweet potatoes)
    – fresh herbs (dill, cilantro, mint; basil in the summer – we grow our own!)
    – dairy (greek yogurt, 1% milk, cheddar cheese)
    – other perishable (tofu, eggs)
    – frozen food (berries, mangos, peas, corn, bananas)
    – condiments (mustard, ketchup, low sodium soy sauce, red and green chili paste)

things that vary: meat, fish, and the occasional boxed/canned food (very rarely do we purchase boxed/canned food)

What’s made me laugh today? My dear husband (he makes me laugh every.single.day. !)

xoxo

sabina

• Sabina replied: — February 1st, 2011 at 11:25 am

also forgot:

– sweeteners (honey, agave, stevia, raw cane sugar, brown sugar)
      – misc (teas – too many to count!)

xo

Sabina

Julie Lynn — February 1, 2011 at 11:58 am

I’m finally catching up on blogs. Can’t believe Skyler is 4 already!!! Happy birthday to your sweetie-pie girl! (Happy memories to the Mama) :-)

ashley@quasichick — February 1, 2011 at 12:00 pm

nut butters, bananas, lettuce of all kinds-spinach, kale, romaine, cucs, celery, apples, berries, oats, chocolate, coconut, …I could be here all day

My baby is sick with double ear infections, but I am glad its nothing worse!

bitt — February 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Similar staples here minus the coffee but probably triple the tea (we love it), and add some ONIONS! :-) We also keep a fairly stocked supply of frozen fruits for smoothies.

Heather Eats Almond Butter — February 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

What have you done with Averie and where is the cheezy veggie bake. ;)

My staples are almond flour, coconut flour, oat bran, nut butters, coconut milk, coconut oil, dried coconut, butter, beef, salmon, and veggies. That’s basically what I love on. Hmm, reading over that sentence makes me realize I eat a lot of coconut.

Remember how you asked me to let you know how the TJ’s decaf tastes? Not so good. :(

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 1st, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Ugh, thanks for LMK on the Tj’s decaf.

And glad you came here on a day the Cheezy Bake WASNT in rotation. lol

Nothin’ wrong with coconut lovin’ :)

PB&Jenny — February 1, 2011 at 12:43 pm

this is a great post, Av! (and I’m so glad I could see it! yay!) I always have trouble sticking to the **essentials** (a box of cereal or chips always seems to make it’s way in to my cart) so I appreciate any tips I can get on to what ingredients I should stick to.

I do have some staples though. For instance, my kitchen is never void of oats, at least 3 jars of nut butter, fresh and frozen berries, bananas, almond milk, and greek yogurt. Oh, and coffee. Lots of coffee!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 1st, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Lots of coffee is a very good thing :) And at least 3 jars of nut butter, too :)

And glad you could SEE this post. Yay, major glitch relief diverted!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — February 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Love your staples! I *always* have oats, bananas, cottage cheese/yogurt, tuna, and eggs on hand. Those are my main staples. :)

Catherine — February 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I ALWAYS have coconut oil & coffee – can’t seem to make it through a day without. I also always have hemp seeds and frozen wheatgrass juice cubes and citrus. Happily parsley grows like a weed in my untended garden so I never am completely green-less.

Laughter today: I am so excited for the day my little one starts talking but for now watching her run after a herd of geese carrying handfuls of sticks got me smiling :)

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life — February 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Smores flavored coffe, that sounds soooooo great! We have a lot of the same staples in our house that you do. I always want to try that slaw dressing everytime I see it on you blog. This just might be the week!

Christina — February 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Ha! You are a gal after my own heart! I have a serious tomato addiction and I love it!! When I was a kid I used to eat tomatoes like apples, I’d add a dash of salt every few bites. My cousin in FL may have started this addiction but besides her nobody else I know/knew ate tomatoes like that. Oh and i have a serious addiction to dips. Currently I have the sweet and spicy mustard from TJ’s and I seriously just use it as dip for my veg lol!!!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables — February 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Peanut Butter, Soymilk, & Bananas are staples! Love love love all three of those things. (Heck, I like ‘em together!)

Something that made me laugh recently, my 5 & 6 year old cheerleading squad. They are just too funny.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — February 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I always try to have nut butter, oats, and yogurt. Usually some veggies too :)

Christine @ Merf In Progress — February 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I just found your blog the other day and am in love with it already. Chocolaaaaaaate!!!!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — February 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm

holy coconut oil!! haha well acutally I bet the container I have is about equal to 4 of those smaller ones! its ginourmous!!!

I always have oats, PB, protein powder, brown rice, quinoa, almond milk, greek yog, egg whites, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, tons of spices, almonds, tuna on hand most all of the time! OH and loads of fruits and veggies fresh and frozen!

Torri — February 1, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Thanks for the pantry list!

The thing that made me laugh today is a YouTube clip of the show “Svetlana”. Have you ever seen it?

Torri

• Torri replied: — February 1st, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Oh, and because you mentioned Millionaire Matchmaker it reminded me how I haven’t seen it lately so I ended up watching the entire fourth season within a week! My household chores are lagging way behind now! haha.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 1, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I always have different varieties of rice, canned veggies and legumes, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 2, 2011 at 12:14 am

Gosh, my pantry staples have gone from modest to an entire stocked store in the past 2 years! :lol: I overbuy waaaayyy too much. Flours? ALL of them. Literally, every flour Bob’s Red Mill makes I have. Beans, check. Pasta, every shape. Grains, every form. Condiments, 20 varieties of mustard to a pound of garlic powder. Frozen veggies, fresh veggies — one of almost everything!

I just buy too much. I’m a compulsive shopper. It’s probably good that Whole Foods and TJ’s is 75 miles away. :oops: