Picture Taking & Big Deal Things

When I met up with my friend Amber over the weekend, I brought along my old Sony point and shoot.  I  hadn’t used the P & S since I got my DSLR.

It may be 4 years old and beat up, but it took nearly 20,00o pictures (my iPhoto numbers don’t lie).  Everything from Skylar’s babyhood and toddlerhood to Aruba trips to food pictures.  I took more closeups of lettuce and chocolate with this camera than should be legal.

It seems so tiny compared to my DSLR!

For example…

Here’s the DSLR in my new camera bag

Versus…

The Sony point and shoot in old pink case I found on the Best Buy clearance rack for 9.99 years ago.  And it fits in the palm of my hand.

I remember when I first started blogging, I was not a person who took that many pictures.

But, I started taking  more pictures around my house.

I worked my way up into (remembering) and actually bringing my camera out in public more, even though my point and shoot seemed “huge” to me when I was toting it.

And when I was using it to take pictures, I felt like the whole world was staring at me wondering why I was taking pictures of a smoothie menu or similar very “ordinary” things.

Now, it seems like a toy camera compared to my massive DSLR.

I still haven’t worked up the courage to lug that one out for meetups with friends, or to sushi restaurants or out in public when I am with others.  It just seems so huge and I can’t imagine whipping it out, tableside.

From my last post about our Valentine’s Day Recap, glad you enjoyed the pictures.  And thanks for filling me in on your arts and crafts projects that you liked to do as a kid.  Or like to do now.

And thanks to everyone who had sweet comments about Skylar’s hair.  I wish I had her hair, too!

Snack: “Spicy Doritos” Cheezy Dip

Use with chips, on veggies, as a salad dressing, or anyplace you’d use hummus, you can use this dip.

Want to use it with chips?

Try Raw Vegan Kale Chips

Using your oven is fine if you don’t have a dehydrator.

And now for something sweet, Butterscotch Rice Krispy Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

No bake and easy

1. Do you feel comfortable taking pictures of things that others may not necessarily deem photo-worthy?  Do you ever feel self-conscious taking pictures all the time?

As I said in the body of the post, I went through a metamorphosis of sorts with picture taking from not taking many, to taking more and more, to pretty much not caring about looking a bit ridiculous when I’m out.

I have gotten really quick about it if I am in a restaurant or out in public.  I don’t care about angles or lighting, I just grab a fast shot, one take only, whatever I capture, I capture.

I never want to turn into what I’d call “a tourist” in my regular life.  Walking around with a camera around my neck totally oblivious to the rest of the world as I stand on the sidewalk and block the way for passerby’s just so I can get “my shot”.  Shoot me if I turn into that.

2. Does it matter if you have a P & S vs. a DSLR in terms of how self-conscious you are?

Yes, I admit, I have not brought my DSLR out to restaurants, yet.

It’s so big and I would feel awful if food or drink was spilled on it.  The fear of damaging it is just as much of a reason why I don’t bring it as it’s size.

3. Is there anything in your life that at the time seemed like a big deal but looking back, you realize, wasn’t a big deal?

Not a big deal = a point and shoot camera.  It’s a small deal.  And it’s compact.

And taking pictures of random things?  No one probably notices, remembers, or cares.

Other things (for me) that seemed like a big deal at the time but aren’t upon further reflection:

The source of an argument with your spouse/partner.  Likely you won’t remember what or why you were fighting when you look back in a week, a month, or a year.

Whether or not you washed your hair, put on makeup, or shaved

What you ate that day

Whether or not you worked out

What a boy (or girl) thought of you when you were in 7th grade

What strangers think of you now.  Everyone has an opinion but their opinions houldn’t change you or how you feel about yourself. Easier said than done but unless they are close to you, I try not to let their opinions be a big deal to me.

The grade you got on a test

The color of bridesmaids dresses you chose for your wedding

Whether you eat Irish or steelcut oatmeal.  Try telling this to the blogosphere, though!  haha!

In the great scheme of life, many things we feel like are such big deals at the time, when you look back on them years later, or even just a few months later, turn out to be very not big.  To the point you probably can’t even remember all the things you were stressing about at one point in your life.  Or if you can, you almost feel silly that you were as concerned as you were at the time.  I know I have plenty of those!

What are your things that seemed like a big deal at the time, but aren’t now?

56 Responses to “Picture Taking & Big Deal Things”

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 16, 2011 at 3:55 am

Having to make special food orders and sending back food due to Celiacs was a huge thing for me to overcome. Now, it’s no biggie!

maria @ Chasing the Now — February 16, 2011 at 4:18 am

I was a little self-conscious when I first began blogging about taking photos, too. And the first few times I decided to take my DSLR into public I felt awkward, but I soon realized that no one cares except me. It’s bigger, but it’s still just a camera. Sometimes people will ask me questions about the camera, but mostly no one cares.

lindsay — February 16, 2011 at 4:23 am

oh there is so much in life that I think is A HUGE deal at the time but then realize its silly. I guess thats god way of teaching me to chill. haha. Its all about the perspective.
    That is one stylish camera purse. You have the cutest accessories friend!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — February 16, 2011 at 4:30 am

I don’t take my camera out much because it is so big and I hate lugging it around more so than taking pictures of things. I feel like my out time is private time for the most part too. I do want a point and shoot for taking places though, like hiking and doing things with the boys when I don’t want to take a huge camera.

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — February 16, 2011 at 4:44 am

I have a cybershot p&s that I use, or my iPhone since i get lazy/embarrassed at times…I bought my fiance a DSLR but he’s still trying to learn how to use it, then i’ll have him teach me!

Erica — February 16, 2011 at 4:49 am

I bring my little camera with me EVERYWHERE! Its amazing how its just become second nature to have it and snap a picture of something I want to share with the blog world :) Your dessert treats always look so darn good!

dragonmamma/naomi — February 16, 2011 at 4:53 am

I’m NOT in the habit of bringing my camera with me everywhere, and when I do, I usually forget to use it. I need to use it more. (Then I can tell you if I feel self-conscious or not.)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 16, 2011 at 5:30 am

The only time I don’t carry my camera around is when I am with friends who don’t know about the blog. I’d say at this point MOST of my friends and all of my family know about it, but there are certain people that I get a little self conscious around! Of course, when it has to do with strangers, I could care less!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 16, 2011 at 5:31 am

I keep my P/S in my purse for random pictures with friends or of food when out. I don’t ever lug the DSLR out just for restaurant pictures though. I used to feel really awkward even pulling the P/S out, but not so much anymore. People do much odder things than take random photos of food ;-)

jassy — February 16, 2011 at 5:31 am

as long as there’s no one who will snatch your dslr then you shouldn’t be shy to use your cam in public :) lots of bloggers use them in public…even in asia :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 16, 2011 at 5:32 am

I have the same Sony Cybershot! It’s what I started taking pics with for my blog, too! :D

And OMG, YESSSS! Taking pics with DLSR camera is sooo awkward in public! It was even awkward at my aunt’s house for Xmas! LOL My little cousins are STILL laughing at me for taking Xmas dinner pics! My aunt said to me on FB a few weeks ago that River (my little cuz) said, “Hey mom, wasn’t it weird at Xmas when Jenn takes out her camera and just starts shooting at the food!” Oh geeeeeeeez, LOL. :oops: I hate when the staff at restaurants asks me why I’m taking pics or makes a stupid comment like, “You must REALLY love the food to take pics of it!” :roll: Half of the people I try to explain to don’t even know WHAT a blog is, much less why I’m photographing food.

I’d do anything for a point and shoot sized DLSR. Dustin says they do make them and I can have one… for ONLY $5000 or $6000! Yeah, I’m not getting THAT rich on my blog. hahahaha

I started using my cell phone for pics in restaurants, it’s a lot more subtle and the pics are coming out quite well so far!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 16th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

oh kids and their brutal honesty…yes!

this part: You must REALLY love the food to take pics of it!” :roll: Half of the people I try to explain to don’t even know WHAT a blog is, much less why I’m photographing food.—
      ALL so true!

No one truly gets blogging unless you are a blogger or an avid reader, I am convinced.

Mini DSLR..when i hit the lottery :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 16, 2011 at 5:33 am

DSLR** I can’t even get the letters in the right order.. ha!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 16, 2011 at 5:58 am

“Whether or not you washed your hair, put on makeup, or shaved” — funny that you mention that because I had those feelings last night! I saw a picture of myself and thought “wow you should have washed your hair, worn some makeup maybe, etc” It doesn’t matter to me — one picture of me does not define who I am as a person. It irritates me NOW that I even thought that way!

I have a point and shoot and to be honest, it works for me! One day maybe I will upgrade to a nicer camera (when I have kids and want better pictures?) — yes I am still hesitant in public taking pictures of things — menus, signs, etc. Like you I have gotten quick at whipping out the camera, taking a picture and putting it back in my purse before anyone notices. I just don’t want to make people uncomfortable — but maybe that wouldn’t even happen?

Val — February 16, 2011 at 6:06 am

I just stumbled on your blog and I love it. I love this post. Thanks for sharing.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — February 16, 2011 at 6:19 am

haha.. I know what you mean about things being a huge deal and then not when you gain some perspective.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — February 16, 2011 at 6:30 am

You’re so right–what seems like a huge deal at the time is, almost by definition, something that is definitely not a big deal!

Katie — February 16, 2011 at 6:49 am

I don’t ever lug my camera with me. There are never any restaurant photos or things like that. That’s just not what I want to focus on with my blog.

Christina — February 16, 2011 at 6:56 am

Hi Ave! I’ve been blogging about food for about a year now but really in the past 6 months is when i’ve really been serious about my blog. There have been times I take my camera out with me to dinners and lunches and I just don’t feel comfortable taking pics of my food. It’s odd, I can take pictures of the company I’m with but when it comes to food it really depends on who I’m with. I know they would never ever judge me for some odd reason I just feel that way. So I’ve been sticking to my house for pictures. This is a goal I’d like to overcome this spring/summer though!

Also, I printed your spicy dorito cheese recipe ages ago and still haven’t made it! It’s in my Veganomicon cookbook hahaha.

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition — February 16, 2011 at 7:04 am

I’ve been dying for a new camera! Your pics are so pretty….I thought maybeeee I was getting one for v-day but we are trying to cut back on expenses so I told him not to get one. Alas, there’s always next year!

Runeatrepeat — February 16, 2011 at 7:06 am

I always feel like I’m causing a scene when I take my DSLR to restaurants – not that it stops me ;)

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) — February 16, 2011 at 7:21 am

This was such a great post, and you are SO right. The things that we make such a huge deal about…usually won’t matter the next day at all. Thanks for the reminder — I definitely need to stress less about the little things and be more grateful and appreciative of the good! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 16, 2011 at 7:29 am

Ha, I know what you mean– my point and shoot feels SO tiny and toy-like compared to my DSLR. Sometimes I miss it!!

Catherine — February 16, 2011 at 7:53 am

I really enjoy reading your blog – I check it a few times a day now to see if you have a new post up actually :)
    However I feel odd posting comments, I’m not sure if it’s more strange because most of us are ‘strangers’ and I feel weird putting my 2 cents in, or I feel uncomfortable sharing my thoughts so publicly?
    Either way, I guarantee in hindsight, it won’t be a big deal at all!!!

Beth — February 16, 2011 at 8:26 am

Still think your new camera bag is amazing. Even if it is bigger and takes up more room than the point & shoot with it’s cute pink case.

When my hubby bought his DSLR, he gave his point & shoot to his mom. And then we missed it if we were going somewhere where he could have tucked the point & shoot in his shirt pocket. Instead he had to carry the camera, camera bag, lenses, extra batteries, flash, and Gary Fong. I call it his camera purse ;)

With the paintball field, we have both had to take more pictures of more things than I ever thought possible. And they don’t all turn out – so happy we aren’t using film and paying for developing :)

Big deal at the time: when my first apple cinnamon bundt cake overflowed all over my oven, set off the smoke alarm, sent me into a panic about an alternate dessert for the party, and had me thinking the bundt pan was ruined too.
    Not really such a big deal hours later, or compared to real life & death situations. Sometimes it is challenging to keep things in perspective though.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 16, 2011 at 8:27 am

I love my point-and-shoot! It is a canon, and it is my baby. If I got a DSLR from Santa however, I would not be complaining;)

Andrea — February 16, 2011 at 9:19 am

I LOVE DSLR’s, though I don’t have one myself, I’ve taken several photo classes using a Canon Rebel…love, love, love. However, I have a Canon Powershot is1200 which seriously takes some great shots! On the new P&Ss, you can actually set the f-stop and shutter speed! It’s crazy. I love it.

I just made your flax cookies again, they get better every time I swear! I added three dates to your exact recipe (I love the sweets) and some maca powder…yum. I’m so glad you mentioned maca powder on your blog – I never would have tried it had you not! So thanks! :)

Last thing: I love your new recipes tab! It’s very organized, looks awesome! Well done! :)

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses — February 16, 2011 at 9:23 am

I brought my camera to a bridal store this weekend and the lady helping us was super intrigued. She asked why I was snapping photos and I said I’m a documentarian. My bestie then piped up…”she writes a blog” I defended myself (who knows why??) and said that I had the camera for almost a whole YEAR before I started blogging to take pics of my kiddos. She thought it was cool and now reads my blog. :)

I also took it to a restaurant and the waitress got VERY nervous. My sister seemed embarrassed but I laughed it off. BUT… I really do need to get a p&s. For lots of reasons. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 16th, 2011 at 2:53 pm

this is the BEST:
      “and I said I’m a documentarian.”

THAT says it perfectly! no one truly “gets” blogging unless you blog or are an avid reader. That really just says it all and i am going to go with that!!! :)

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) — February 16, 2011 at 9:46 am

I always used to feel awkward taking pics of my food, especially at a restaurant with other patrons there however I think I am getting over it :P

Natalia - a side of simple — February 16, 2011 at 9:55 am

Your DSLR camera bag is too cute! I would answer your questions you posed but I apologize. I’m too busy trying to find all the ingredients I need for your rice krispy treats that I’m drooling over :)

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

I only have the P&S at this juncture, and I’m at least remembering to bring it with me most of the time in case I need to shoot something cool while I’m out. I don’t have a whole lot of shame with it. :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

Truthfully I hate using my point-and-shoot now with the DSLR, but I still need it for rugged and more portable photography – not taking the DSLR snowboarding! There’s such a huge quality difference though. I do like that my new DLSR bag can double as a purse and I only need to carry one bag, but it’s still big. And I’ve put tons of miles on my little point-and-shoot too so to speak. :-)

1. A lot more now than I used to and I feel more like a professional when I pull out the DSLR to do so. :-) It was awkward at first, especially when the people I was with didn’t know about the blog.
    2. Not really, I just prefer the photo quality of the DSLR.
    3. Sure, tons of stuff. Taking pictures, making custom demands when ordering food at a restaurant, etc.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 16th, 2011 at 2:54 pm

yes the quality difference is just…HUGE!

I love your camera bag. And I kind of may or may not be wanting to get something like you got, too :)

Kristina — February 16, 2011 at 11:53 am

Ahhh! I keep reading your blog and my mouth is watering for your delicious treats–but I’m doing 30 days no processed carbs (bread, rice, pasta), no diary, and no sugar. You’re putting me through hell with the chocolate and peanut butter photos! (But I love looking and dreaming).

bitt — February 16, 2011 at 11:59 am

One of the main reasons I haven’t been serious about a DSLR (whatever the letters are) camera is due to size. i can’t carry heavy stuff like that around due to my back.

I do carry my point and shoot if I know I am going to do a restaurant review. I just tell the people I am with that I am doing a review and usually they get in on it and help play the food critic with me. I don’t force them to pose and they don’t mind.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — February 16, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I am not a blogger who takes pictures of everything she eats so I don’t bring my camera to take pictures of my restaurant food. I would definitely feel awkward doing that. I just take lots o’ pictures at home. :-)

Ela — February 16, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Hey, your hair is beautiful too! Skylar’s is stunning, for sure.

Love your list of things that seemed like a big deal at the time. The one that really resonates for me is the source of an argument with your partner. If I can remind myself, as an argument starts, that tomorrow or even later today, it’s not going to feel like such a big deal at all, I can often completely avoid having an argument at all, which feels so good.

I used to be so hung up on 100% raw, couldn’t eat something unless I was sure that it was: now that seems just as insane and off point as back in my hopeless days when I used to not be able to eat anything unless I’d weighed it first… Good to be free of those things!

I feel a little self-conscious sometimes taking random photos for the blog, especially of food/restaurant things, but I let it go pretty quick. I’m so non-visual that I’m just trying to convey the basic impression–am not much of a photographer. It’s so cool that that has become something you really enjoy and are skilled at doing. Good you still have the p&s too though.
    love
    Ela

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 16th, 2011 at 2:56 pm

this part is soooooo true:
      “used to be so hung up on 100% raw, couldn’t eat something unless I was sure that it was: now that seems just as insane and off point as back in my hopeless days ….”

It’s why i wont read most true raw purist blogs anymore. They get so hung up on the raw-ness factor, they forget that food is beautiful, a gift, and even if it’s not raw…who cares?! At least i dont :) Which is why I cant read those types of blogs much anymore.

I am glad you have moved past those types of hangups! :)

Odile — February 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Hi, Averie! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. :) My molehill-turned-mountain that leaps to mind happened on the day of my wedding, when I nearly had a nervous breakdown largely fueled by the fact that my skin had broken out far worse than it ever had in then-recent years in the 36 hours leading up to the big moment, and I let it stress me out to the point of tears (though, in fairness to me, I guess, there are other stressful aspects to pulling off a wedding!). Of course, when I look back at the pictures, I looked fine — the magic of professionally-applied makeup fixed everything for purpose of posterity.

Love your ‘blog.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 16th, 2011 at 2:57 pm

glad your day turned out but yes, weddings are sooo stressful for most people/women.

thanks for delurking!

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — February 16, 2011 at 1:23 pm

My uncle gave me his old DSLR for a birthday present last week and I’ve yet to figure out how to use it – I’m intimidated! Maybe I can bring it to the beach this weekend to take some test shots. I would say caring about what people think, is my biggest big deal issue. In hindsight, people are always too wrapped up in their own stuff or it’s really all in my head. :)

Allison @ Happy Tales — February 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Very interesting post! I’ve always been a big picture taker (esp. when I travel!) and now I find myself taking even *more* pictures now that I’ve started my blog! I love it, though… what better way to capture neat things in my life than by taking pictures?!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) — February 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I love my DLSR but I really wish I stilll had a little camera to take out with me – there are certain places I’d rather not lug the huge thing around! But in general I feel pretty comfortable takeing pictures of anything…it’s what they’re for that I get a little uncomfortable about. lol

kate@ahealthypassion — February 16, 2011 at 6:17 pm

hahah im totally nervous about taking pictures in public I try to act casual and turn the flash off but I should be proud to be a blogger :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I used to feel really self conscious taking pictures all the time of what I eat … but I got over that :-)

Marina@Picnic at Marina — December 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Averie, I love surfing through your old posts. It’s like talking to an old friend, who you haven’t seen in a while and catching up on all things life… :) How cool is that!?