Trader Joe’s Finds

I mentioned the other day that the grocery store is my second home.  I wasn’t lying because when I went to the grocery store, I also swung through TJ’s for a quickie.

I picked up this new coffee.

Ground Coffee + Cocoa + Natural Chocolate Fudge Flavor =  Perfection

And I picked up a can of Sumatra.  It’s been my go-to coffee for about 5 years.  I always come back to it.

I did a big TJ’s Coffee Review Post.  Check that out if you’re curious about what Joe to buy next from Joe.

I also picked up Caramel Popcorn.

By my accounts, the ingredient list would suggest it’s vegan and GF.  Even it wasn’t, I’d still buy it anyway because it’s super good.

I sprinkle the Caramel Popcorn in with Chocolate Cheezy Popcorn

Coconut Oil, Nooch, Chocolate, and Caramel.  That’s the four food groups, right?

I love popcorn and have a whole section in my newly re-vamped Recipes Page entirely devoted to creative popcorn recipes, blends, and flavor combos.

I also had to replenish the raisin stash.

They happen to be high in plant-based iron and fiber.  And they’re sweet.  What’s not to love?

I was getting low!

I use raisins in everything and have an entire Raisins Recipes Post.

Raisins in Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars

Or Raisins in Raw Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

More ideas for Raisins Recipes Here

From my last post about Rainy Day Projects, lots of you like the looks of the fireplace on my balcony.   Yes, I need to use it more!

And taxes, well, some of you have started, some of you haven’t.  I am glad that mine are in the mail on the way to my accountant.

Which means that chocolate is in order, right?

No-Bake Vegan GF Fudge

1. Any new grocery/food products you’ve tried lately?

I am always trying new things.

However, I have gotten more selective as time goes on.  Just because I see it on a blog and it looks “amazing” doesn’t mean I have to have it. I try to balance cool new finds with being practical.

I did this post about how to save money on your grocery budget which includes not impulse buying.

2. Fave TJ’s items?

I’ve posted about many of mine before (coffee, condiments, fruits/veggies, canned beans, salsa, and so many more)

And I did this post on my Pantry & Refrigerator Staples (Not necessarily all TJ’s items, but some are)

3. What have you been up to this weekend?

I’ve been working, working out, cooking, cleaning, blogging, and being with the family.  But it’s still raining here.  Darn.

Enjoy your Weekend!

45 Responses to “Trader Joe’s Finds”

VeggieGirl — February 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm

LOOOVE TJ’s products! I need to try that caramel corn :)

As usual, lots of dancing and baking this weekend; and also studying.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Oh. my. God. Girl you know about my raisin addiction, I love you times a million for the “recipes with raisins” page!! I am dying, you do not understand, I have raisins at every meal. Good thing I’m anemic, otherwise it might be bad for me to eat so many!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 19th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

i know when i read that on your blog the other day, i was like well ive got just the post for her :)

Sarah @ OneLoveSarah — February 19, 2011 at 6:22 pm

sold. I have to get that cocoa coffee. TJ’s see you tomorrow!

Jess@HealthyExposures — February 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Gahh, I really need to just set aside, oh, a month at least, to just bake/cook/make everything on your recipes tabs. The only trouble with that is that there is so much goodness on there that I’d probably have to bake 20 hours a day…but that sounds way better than spreading it out over the course of a year, no?
    That and the dilemma of what to make first. Like I am facing right now.
    The TJs loot looks awesome!! The coffee reminds me of a fudge coffee my sister LOVES. I always want to like it, but I just can’t get into the chocolate flavored coffee thing for some reason…which is weird because i love mocha flavored things :\

Laura — February 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I HEART TJ’s, I really their hemp protein, I use it in smoothies!

Weekend Thus Far: House-hunting and Errands

Hannah — February 19, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Oh, I’m so incredibly envious! I miss TJs and Whole Foods so much, and showing me that coffee with chocolate in it is TORTURE! And I’ve never really seen proper caramel popcorn here :(

emily (a nutritionist eats) — February 19, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Does that coffee taste like chocolate?!
    I also really like the TJ’s coffee…it is about half the price of Caribou and still really good!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 19th, 2011 at 7:03 pm

it has a chocolate flavor, but it doesnt taste like a bar of chocolate or anything :) it’s really good!

Maryann (The Balanced Bean) — February 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Oh man I NEED to try the cocoa coffee!! TJs never dissappoints…I love it all! Cant choose one item :) The meatless meatballs have been a staple in my diet lately though!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 19, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I don’t live near a TJs, but once on vacation I bought these Corn Chips with Hemp Seeds at one. I still dream about them!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 19th, 2011 at 7:04 pm

they have the BEST selection of GF chips…so many great varieties of seed based or corn/hemp/soy/bean based chips.

Erica — February 19, 2011 at 7:05 pm

owww! The new coffee sounds spectacular! I can’t WAIT for our TJs to open! Favorite TJs products right now? Peanut butter flour (sniff, sniff-luckily I have like 4 bags), their bags of nuts or seeds, their no salt added, raw almond butter (creamy), dark chocolate * J likes their buffalo burgers. We have not done our taxes yet- I’m not ready to be depressed ;). Weekend has been fabulous! Beach, relaxing & working out!

Tina — February 19, 2011 at 7:07 pm

While I’m not a coffee drinker, I love the combo of coffee + cocoa. I actually use coffee when baking brownies. It definitely adds a richness to the chocolate flavor. I love TJ’s tahini-free hummus and their baked tofu. I would prefer to make these things at home, but when I don’t have the time they are great to have on hand! I always get excited to find new goodies!

Annie D @ Annie's Simple LIfe — February 19, 2011 at 7:09 pm

YUM I LOVE TJ’S!! I’ll be going there tomorrow morning.

Katie — February 19, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Truly the thing I miss about not going to TJs is that Sumatran coffee. I’ve got a new got-to; locally roasted sumatran, but it isn’t the same…and its at least 2 times the price. Coffee is worth it though.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 19, 2011 at 7:48 pm

TJ’s is 75 miles from here but I still try to go a few times a year. Haven’t been there in foreverrrrrrrrr! Love all of their low sodium products, like no salt added tuna and salmon. I LOVE their honey roasted mixed nuts. I swear I could eat the whole bag. Probably have. :lol: They have sooo many awesome things. What’s funny is that at first I wasn’t impressed by the store at all. Thought it was kind of dingy and stinky, LOL. But then I fell in love the second time around. :)

Dustin doesn’t like raisins. :( I like to put them in just about everything! So sweet and tasty. Dustin is a fusspot. :roll: hahaha

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 20th, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I thought the same thing about TJs years ago, walked in and walked out! can you believe it?!

I am spoiled, i have a TJ’s and reg groc 6 blocks away and the WFs is 8 blocks. I can walk if I wanted to! I know, shoot me now :)

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College — February 19, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I live so far away from T.J.’s (like 6 hours) but every once in awhile I actually consider driving all the way to Nebraska to buy an entire car load of T.J.’s products. Some of my family live near a T.J.’s and whenever I get to go there I get dark chocolate or all kinds of unsulphured unsweetened dried fruit

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats — February 19, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Hey Averie – that popcorn looks soooooooooooooo good :)

So far, today, I decluttered at home, went for a super long walk with a friend, wrote two blog posts and still feel totally behind in life. lol.

Have a great Sunday!

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Chocolate coffee?!?! Be still my heart!

Dental Implant — February 19, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Read a lovely article post
    Thanks

Sarah (Flavoropolis) — February 19, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Coffee and cocoa combined? Why did I never think of this?!
    I finally got some Artisana coconut butter recently, I’ve always loved coconut oil but never tried the butter. It is amazing, especially eaten on its own with some cinnamon, stevia, and coconut nectar mixed in. Divine.
    Thanks for reminding me that I need to check out the Trader Joe’s in Santa Monica, I’ve lived here for 2 months and still haven’t been!

lauren @ spiced plate — February 20, 2011 at 7:27 am

I love tj’s raw almonds and raw unsalted chunky almond butter. I’m on a cleanse right now and they’re my main source of protein — i’m even making almond milk as we speak with them! The price is the best I’ve found for raw almonds anywhere, and the almond butter price is pretty fantastic too.

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 20, 2011 at 7:58 am

Yum, the coffee a cocoa sounds great. Lately the bay blend has been my TJ’s coffee go to. And the popcorn looks great.

1. Not lately, but I going to Whole Foods tomorrow, so whole knows. :-)
    2. Organic Tempeh, Latin Black Bean soup, almond butter, frozen fruit finds for smoothies, hummus … wow, this list could go on. :-)
    3. Lots, getting a massage, eating out, running, laundry – been a great weekend so far.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 20th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Bay Blend…yes, I dig it. I love their coffees! And your comment reply to me re your sister and the tips, LOL :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 20, 2011 at 9:02 am

I have mostly just relaxed, hung out with friends, cooked, ate, and drank wine this weekend so far :-) Tonight we are going to our friends’ place for dinner, and we have tomorrow off, so that will be nice.

Heather — February 20, 2011 at 11:13 am

TJ and I have developed quite the love affair since our first encounter about 6 months ago. I can’t even imagine living without him, I mean it, now! ;)

I got that Dark Sumatra coffee on one of my last runs, but I can’t decide which one I like better, that one or the Bay Blend. I love my DARK roasted coffee! Fave TJ items: whole wheat pizza crust, white bean hummus, and crunchy Valencia PB!

I love trying new things, but since I’ve recently realized that I am a total impulse buyer when it comes to new foods (especially ones seen in blogworld), I’m trying to scale it back a bit. Plus, I’m doing a little grocery budget experiment this month to see how much I normally spend. I think having that in the back of my mind is helping me to think more about purchases before just throwing them in the cart!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 20th, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I went thru the blogworld/impulse buyer stuff too…i think we all do! I just learned i have to scale it back, or go broke :)

Bay blend AND dark sumartra are both always on hand for me!

Lauren @ Hungry Dancer — February 20, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Love everything from Trader Joe’s!!! That coffee sounds amazing!!!

RoseRunner — February 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Today was a TJ’s day for me too — holy crowdedness, the line literally went through the whole store, to the back, and started wrapping around aisles. Nuts.

while not in the slightest healthy, my new find there today was thumbprint cookies. Their cookies in the plastic tubs are always a win. I’m about to dig in and find out how delicious they are!

I also have recently been loving the indian food that is in the aluminum sealed packaging, and you just throw the package in hot water. It’s perfect for camping!

I wish we had TJ’s in Austin but alas, this is the land of Whole Foods….maybe someday soon? Trader Joe’s, are you listening?!

Krista — February 22, 2011 at 7:04 am

The coffee/cocoa blend sounds perfect!!!

We took in an NHL hockey game spur of the moment on Saturday in Buffalo which was super fun!

Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance — October 22, 2012 at 9:53 am

LOVE the coffee a cocoa! My recent finds at TJ’s are the pumpkin butter, cocoa almond spread (WAY better than Nutella!!!), citrus shampoo, and the slicing brie cheese. I, unfortunately, live within 2 blocks of a Trader Joe’s and 3 blocks of the biggest Whole Foods in LA. O_o It’s a dangerous game. :)