Trader Joe’s Peanut Flour Discontinued

You may have been living under a rock and never knew peanut flour existed.

Or that it’s become a very hot commodity in the blogosphere the past few months.

But if you want to make these cookies, you’d better make them now.

Of course, you can use other flours but the peanut flour worked especially nicely. If being gluten-free is important for your dietary needs, make sure you use flour from a gluten-free contract manufacturing company with quality certifications.

Vegan GF Peanut Butter Caramel Chocolate Chips Cookies with Peanut Flour

What’s the rush, you ask?

Well, apparently TJ’s is discontinuing carrying peanut flour due to low sales.   You’d think the blogosphere was single-handedly keeping sales up. Julie, Deb, and Gabriela I know were at least helping keep 4th quarter sales up.

I’ve heard that TJ’s is bringing in a gluten free flour, instead. It seems that more people want GF flour than Peanut flour.

A few months ago I wrote a post about why TJ’s is successful, what products of theirs are private labeled especially for them, and various other TJ’s Trivia if you care to read itYou may be surprised to learn that Stacy’s Pita Chips and TJ’s in-house brand are one in the same.

Disclaimer: The information I have is word of mouth from TJ’s employees and from various other blog posts I have read.  I have searched the internet for written “proof” but nothing comes up.  Then again, would discontinuing peanut flour really make front page google news to people other than bloggers?

What else do I make with Peanut Flour?

Cinnamon Sugar Peanut Buttery Chickpea “Peanuts” with Peanut Flour

Not the prettiest food, but they taste heavenly

Those are cinnamon + sugar + peanut flour little “nuts” and boy, they are addictive!

You can also make my Carmelized Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Chickpea “Peanuts” if you don’t have peanut flour.  And none of us will have peanut flour for much longer so get used to this recipe.

But if you aren’t a fan of peanut flour, or never even had the chance to try it, but still have a soft spot in your heart for peanut butter, try making a Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bar

Or make some Raw Vegan Peanut Butter Vanilla Balls (or Sunflower Seed/Almond/Cashew Butter balls)

From my last post about Target Finds and Smoothie Helpers, it was fun to hear what you put in your cart at Target.

And what you like, or don’t like, to put into your smoothies and your views on smoothie “optimizers” or additional powders or helpers.  Many of you say you have tried Vega products and are fans of them.

Oh, and quite a few people thought that the Vega samples I mentioned were a Target find.  No. I went to Target, came home, and found Vega samples waiting for me in the mail.  Just wanted to clear that up so no one runs out to Target thinking they are going to score Vega at their local Tar-jay.

1. Have you tried peanut flour?  Thoughts if you did?

Yes, I have (obviously) tried it and I like it but I will be honest, too much peanut flour (or too many beans) and my GI system don’t always get along super well.

So although I love the taste of peanut flour, my tummy doesn’t always love it.  A little is fine but I could never make “peanut flour paste” that I saw so many bloggers make and use without major GI upheaval.

2. Will you miss peanut flour if you are a fan?

There are online sites that sell peanut flour, and there is also PB2, but based on price and convenience, TJ’s is much better for me on all fronts.

I will miss it, of course, but since I wasn’t as much of a fan as some people, I’ll live.

3. Foods you’ve Seen in the Sphere that you’ve been inspired to try, for better or for worse?

Not a comprehensive list but some of my favorites include…

Sun Warrior Brown Rice Protein Powder

Nooch

Hemp Seeds

Stevia

Coconut Oil

Maca

And now, I can’t imagine my life without those things.

Things I’ve tried because of the sphere but still don’t really love include Hemp Protein, Dulse Flakes, and I don’t know, I’m drawing a blank.

The power of blogs is remarkable.  What have you tried because of blogs or anything new you’re tried lately? Did you like it?

Have a great Hump Day!

105 Responses to “Trader Joe’s Peanut Flour Discontinued”

Allison @ Happy Tales — February 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Ugh, I really hope that is just a rumor! I looove TJ’s peanut flower! I would be very sad if it’s discontinued :(

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) — February 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I have been totally living under a rock. Peanut flour sounds lovely, and it makes me sad that I may not be able to try these before they’re gone. Bummer!

Do you know if it’s possible to *make* peanut flour by grinding to a powdery substance? Or is peanut flour different than straight up, ground peanuts?

Your cookies look absolutely divine! :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 2nd, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I am sure that grinding them would work but be careful as i have made peanut BUTTER real quick from grinding peanuts. Skipped flour stage and went straight to butter stage.

Melissa — February 2, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Wow!! I never saw that coming. I’ve never tried the peanut flour but I’ve seen it at my health food store and always said “next time.” I better get their ASAP so that I can at least get a taste of the stuff:)

Foods I’ve seen on the sphere that I was inspired to try were…kombucha, maca, dulse, cacao powder..and so much more:)

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — February 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I haven’t tried peanut flour yet, but I am reading about its glory everywhere. I would definitely make cookie with it, hands down.

Susan — February 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm

We don’t have TJ’s in Canada so I couldn’t care less, ha! Actually, I’m just being bitter because I really like Trader Joe’s and would love if I could shop there regularly!

Honestly, I don’t buy anything anymore that was inspired by bloggers. I’ve tried all the things you listed and they were all too expensive. These days, I like to splurge my money on the organic butcher across the street as opposed to junk that takes up space in my pantry :P

• Susan replied: — February 2nd, 2011 at 1:55 pm

PS, I’m finally seeing your blog on WordPress and I LOVE IT. Load time is much faster too!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 2nd, 2011 at 3:18 pm

yay for faster load times!

and also i totally agree with you that altho i have learned tons from blogs, i now know what works and what i like and am MUCH more selective about what i buy that’s “new”.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — February 2, 2011 at 2:19 pm

NOOOOO, don’t remind me! I need to stock up ASAP! I’m hitting up all the TJ’s in a 50 mile radius :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Ok, this is a flour I don’t have. I used to be a fan of PB2 powdered peanut butter, which was basically peanut flour. The only thing I worry about with peanut flour is if it’s processed under high heat and damp, mold-friendly conditions that encourage aflatoxin growth. I guess just like everything else, moderation is key! :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Great peanut flour recipe inspiration. Truthfully I’m trying to cut down my peanut intake, so I’m seeing this as an opportunity to work more with garbanzo flour and almond flour.

1. Yes, I tried to use it in socca, got peanut pudding instead. :-) Also in pancakes and oatmeal, it does have a great flavor, but doesn’t agree with me that well.
    2. Maybe, but I’ll move on and try other products.
    3. Larabars, garbanzo flour, Kind bars – to name a few.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' — February 2, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I’m not a big peanut fan– it makes my tummy feel AWFUL– but I’m sorry to hear that they’re discontinuing the peanut flour for all those who love it! I wish they would replace it with ALMOND FLOUR!! Almond are much easier on my system, but it’s kind of a pain to make my own almond flour at home… but it might be worth making to try your cookie recipe! :D

Best thing I discovered from the blog world? Nutritional yeast!! It used to scare me, but I’ve recently fallen in love with it.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 2nd, 2011 at 3:17 pm

they do have it, it’s called almond meal. same thing as almond flour, meal vs. flour, but same thing.

Ela — February 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Well, my friend, you put peanut flour on my radar (we have a store in town here that carries a few TJ’s products) and now you’re letting me know that it’s set to depart from our lives. I’ll be sorry to see it go. I haven’t consumed very much of it myself, but have made lots of things for Phil and his daughter and other friend that have been very well appreciated. And I really worry about the high omega-6 levels of peanuts, so I feel much more comfortable with peanut flour, which has had most of the fat squeezed out. If I really want a banana-peanut butter smoothie, I feel much better using peanut flour and adding a little coconut oil.

I guess we could make our own by making peanut milk and drying the pulp, but seriously, peanut milk???

Hey: quick question (only if you have a second): blogger’s telling me I hit my photo limit–I’ve removed a few pics but can only do so much of that: do you know if there’s any way around it other than buying more space? Thanks.

Oh, and Happy Birthday to Skylar!! I hope she has a great year: I loved being four.
    love
    Ela

• bitt replied: — February 2nd, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I had that picture limit too. I just bought more space.

bitt — February 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm

makes sense they would get rid of it with the peanut allergies so rampant these days. and GF flour is a big market. although almost all of TJs products say made on wheat equipment so I wonder the real GFness of them. I guess you better go stock up on the peanut flour now.

I tried most of those things before blogging and no matter how much subliminal messaging to get to try a certain something I won’t if it’s gross to me *cough* stevia *cough* maca. But it does give me more ideas to do with some of those things.

Katie — February 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Hadn’t tried the peanut flour so I don’t know what I’m missing! Reading your blog has had me upping my nooch intake. I always knew it was good on popcorn, but now I’m learning all the other amazing things to do with it. I got hooked on vitamineral green after reading about it in the blogosphere. I know some people like it and some think it’s gross or just a bunch of hooey, but I know that I feel the difference when I use it and that’s all that matters to me.

BTW – made my first batch of Vegan Slaw Dressing today and it forced me to come out of lurking to tell you how much I love it! Ate some extra salad just to have more. Loving the new blog look. ;)

ashley@quasichick — February 2, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I’ve never tried peanut flour b/c I don’t have a TJ anywhere near me and it makes me sad and I tell anyone who will listen.
    Best web find-sun warrior!

Jen Lau — February 2, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I found you post trying to find out what happened to the Peanut flour. Now I know why our store no longer has it. Thanks

Sarah — February 2, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Im still in disbelief that their discontinuing peanut flour. I called my trader joes yesterday and asked about it and the employee pulled it up on the computer and said it didnt have an X next to it or anything showing it was being discontinued. Im hoping its just certain stores that are getting rid of it.

roserunner — February 2, 2011 at 7:21 pm

the power of blogs really IS amazing. I definitely found out about the peanut flour from blogs, but to be honest it never really hooked me. reading blogs, for better or for worse, has changed the way I think about running (which used to be purely for joy, but lately has become more goal oriented due to all the races and flaunting of race times I see). Blogs definitely impact my life — probably about 10% of it!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) — February 2, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Devastation. Well not really as you can still get the stuff on line at Byrd Mill. However, this is precisely the reason that if I find something I LOVE LOVE LOVE, I buy at least three of them, perhaps more…lip colors, sneakers, jeans, etc etc….because otherwise they WILL be discontinued as it’s written in the stars somewhere. And there’ still always PB2 (the original) but it’s not as tasty. Thanks big time for the heads up though!

Torri — February 2, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I love Trader Joe’s, and I love peanut flour! I have been making low-fat peanut sauce with it for my salad rolls.

Things I found out about from blogs and have tried:
    * different types of flour (coconut flour, peanut flour, etc.)
    * spelt
    * coconut oil
    * Green smoothies

Torri

Lindsay — February 3, 2011 at 7:35 am

You can still find peanut flour online! Check out Montebello Kitchens, Protein Plus Peanut Flour and Byrd Mill.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 3, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I have never used peanut flour but there are a lot of places in my city to buy it, so I will definitely be giving it a try.

Cara — February 3, 2011 at 7:21 pm

How sad! I’ve been working on a cookie recipe with that peanut flour. I’d love to find another source. But like you said, I wonder how many people outside the food blogging world would really notice. I used peanut flour in a brownie recipe I blogged earlier this week and my mom was “what is that?!” even though I had mentioned it a few times on the blog.. shows how carefully she reads ;)

On the other hand it really doesn’t surprise me that TJ’s is discontinuing a product I like. It’s happened a few times before and always makes me wonder why I like the things that apparently no one else does – do I really have such weird taste?!

I’ve been buying my quart-size Almond Breeze there (they had the best price) and last weekend I didn’t see any on the shelf. Fearing they had discontinued yet another product I liked, I immediately asked the manager. He had to to a bit of research but finally came up with some information that they were replacing the AB with a their own brand of almond milk (hmmm…. ya think maybe it’s the same stuff, relabled?) I hope to see it there next time, I need my almond milk! (They carry Pacific brand too, but that’s sweetened, and I want the unsweetened, thankyouverymuch!)

Jen — February 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I bought peanut flour at TJs today. I talked to the manager and he looked it up for me. He said they don’t sell much of it, but the computer currently says they are still able to purchase it. So it’s not discontinued…yet. I bought 2 just in case. I’ll keep checking back. Not sure if it matters, but I live in southern California.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 6th, 2011 at 8:25 pm

thanks for the info…I talked to my location and they said they can’t. Maybe a store to store thing…thanks for the info!

regcure spyware — February 8, 2011 at 10:58 pm

a good number

regcure removal — February 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

outstanding

Jennifer — January 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Be careful of where your peanuts come from. Peanuts are harvested and stored causing much moulds to form. Then they irradiate them; meaning they high-fire-heat them to kill bacterias and moulds. This then depletes the nutritional value of the peanut. Peanuts are’nt what they’re all cracked up to be, no pun intended.

Heather — January 31, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I, too, love the Trader Joe’s peanut flour. After doing some research online I found the company that makes it. They are called Local Harvest, and you can buy the peanut flour online. Woo hoo!

Alex — June 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm

You can order it online at http://www.iherb.com/

I usually get the small bags:
    Shipping is free over 20$. I always get a few packages at a time ( they are vacuumized so they’ll keep fresh for a while) and it doesn’t end up costing more than at a regular store.

I you use the code BUY183 at checkout you get 5$ off !