Valentine’s Day Recap

Earlier today I asked what you did for Valentine’s Day so I thought I would share a few photos from our day yesterday.

Skylar went to a Valentine’s Day party with her friends and came home with a stash of cute things.

Handmade Valentines she was given and a Valentine’s Day “Purse” that she made

Earlier in the day, Scott had given me some cards.

My favorite was the “Mommy” one “from” Skylar.  Thanks, Skylar.  Great penmanship for a newly minted 4 year old.  Wink-wink.

I gave Skylar this little box of chocolates

She was excited about those!

Plus, we had exchanged (chocolate) gifts and cards over the weekend.  So there was no shortage of sugar Valentine’s Day spirit and lovin’ in our house.

Thanks for filling in me in from my earlier post about what you did to celebrate.  Or didn’t do.

And I am glad you enjoyed my recipe for the Curried Ginger & Raisin Lentils

Now if you’ll excuse me, my day is wickedly busy!

But I need to heat up some leftover lentils…

…Eat some plants with Creamy Vegan “Cesar” Tahini Dressing

…And dream about washing it down with a GF Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bar with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

I don’t have any of these on hand, but wish I did!

1. Any Valentine’s Day recaps or stories that you’re dying to share?

Feel free!

2. Do you remember making arts and crafts projects in school?

I do and I loved them!  I wish I had more time when I was a child to simply make and create.  Rather than learn facts about George Washington or a war that was fought in Europe in 1653.   Didn’t care about it then as a kid, don’t care about it now.

I loved drawing, painting, woodworking, putting puzzles together, making beaded bracelets, you name it, I wanted to make things and be artsy-fartsy.   That kind of learning was way more fun to me than book learning!  We don’t just learn from books, we learn from experiencing the world, too.   That’s what unschooling is all about.

3. Did you get a workout in today?

I did.  A 20 Minute Run + 20 Minutes of yoga/lifting

Now it’s time to get everything else done around here!

39 Responses to “Valentine’s Day Recap”

Jamie — February 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Skylar’s hair looks sooo beautiful! Love the side bangs and long flowyness :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 15th, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Thanks…seriously, it just kind of does whatever it wants. I don’t comb it except once a day so at certain parts of the day, it’s smooth, other parts of the day…it’s got the I am a kid and i play and my hair is wild vibe :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — February 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’m glad you had a lovely Valentine’s Day! Skylar looks adorable! Hehe, here in the UK, people are less excited over Valentine’s Day and more over that naughty Italian Prime Minister.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 15th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I keep forgetting you’re in the UK! Pretty soon you’ll have an accent :) How cute would that be!

VeggieGirl — February 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Aww fabulous celebration!

mi-an dela cruz — February 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

that’s great you had wonderful valentines! :) i will send you a pic of the necklace as soon as i take a pic of it! :) my favorite part yesterday was me and my boyfriend, for about 45 mins, just rockin out to indian music and dancing bangra! he hardly dances but has good moves. i had to get out the superstar out of him!

Katie — February 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Skylar has beautiful hair like you! Lucky girls!!!!!!! I wish my hair was straight like that !

So glad she had fun at the party! LOVE that Scott got you a card from Skylar to give you!!! So sweet!

Have a great night love! : ) xoxo

Erica — February 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Hey hey! Sounds like a good Valentine’s day to me :) Skylar’s purse is so cute! And it sounds like she got some great cards & treats. I totally remember making Valentine’s day mailboxes and bags in school. I wasn’t very artistically talented (and still am not)- so my creations were always…..special haha. I just speed walked for an hour today. I taught pump yesterday (!!) and walked. My legs are killing me

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I LOVED crafts when I was Skylar’s age! My mom claims that every time she opens a box she finds at least a dozen art projects from my brother and me when we were little!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm

That purse is so precious!! What an artist little Skylah is:) It brings back so many fond memories of elementary school craft projects!

Yeas, I ran a sweaty 7 miles today and it was AWESOME:)

Katie — February 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I got in a killer workout this morning, and sent in a chapter of my dissertation to my advisor. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it feels SO SO good.

I made arts and crafts all the time (shocking, right?). I entered the valentine’s day box competition in 5th grade, for the smallest box. I made mine with a Jiffy muffin mix box. Every other entry was a matchbox. I won. Because my older sister (in 6th grade) stuffed the ballot box. How’s that for best sister V-Day present? :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — February 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Awww the mommy card from “skylar” is too cute :D

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I loved doing crafts in school — and I still do! Coloring, painting, drawing, tracing, cutting/glueing, paper mache, anything like that.

I just got done with a 3 mile run — it was 45 degrees today so I had to take advantage of the “warm” weather! :)

Thanks again for your help with the booch!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 15, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I remember making art projects in school, and I saved them all too!!!

I now use my grade 7/8 examples as examples for my students (when I give the same art assignment :-))

Skylar’s hair looks so pretty parted on the side.

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Girl, what are you using for spam protection…. because it isn’t working? ;)

My mom saved so many of the things I made as a kid, and I actually still have a bunch of it in my possession (which I am SO glad it wasn’t with my Dad after my mom died… he TOSSED the majority of our family photos throughout the years… everything… vacations, birthdays, baby pictures in a fit of rage! It’s still hard to think that he did that, and that was 8 years ago!)

Jess — February 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm

My boyfriend got me a dozen roses <3 Made me valentine's day for sure :) Glad you had a good day with your family! Skylar just keeps getting more and more adorable!!

Crissie — February 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm

story to share. My hubby attempted to buy me lingerie. He picked it out, paid for it, and the distracted store clerk boxed up my gift and put it in the bag of another person. It was the very last one the store had, he was in San Fran on a trip, so there was no hope. He bought me two bottles of wine instead!

Aubree — February 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I remember making a mummy out of paper! I used a ton of glitter. I was a glitter addict back then!

Ally (oatsandspice) — February 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Brings back so many memories – too cute!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — February 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm

haha i love that you said wickedly busy! true bostonian! haha

i love your v-day recap!!! the gifts, the cards, the smiles…all beautiful!

YES I love vday at school…the exchanges and cards it was all so fun and i always put lots of thought into the ones i gave to the cute boys hehe

Judy — February 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I spent vday alone….well that is besides going to school and taking two tests. Not to mention stuffing my face with chocolate lol! Valentine’s Day has yet to be spent with my fiance, seeing as how he’s on the other side of the country right now *insert sad face* There’s always next year though….if he isn’t away doing some sort of training or *yuck* deployed again.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 15, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Aw, looks like Skylar got some great valentines!! She’s such a looker…something tells me she’ll be getting quite the collection of valentines over the course of her lifetime :-)

Katrina (GF Gidget) — February 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm

My work-out was a 20 minute run at 6am and a 1 hour pole dancing class after work! LOVE IT! Have you ever taken pole dancing? It is so much fun!

Anna — February 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm

This is slightly off-topic, but your mention of arts and craft in school got me thinking- have you ever considered a Waldorf school for Skylar some day? It seems like their education philosophy is right in line with yours.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 16th, 2011 at 3:36 am

I have definitely looked into Waldorf, Reggio-Emilio, Montessori, all have wonderful aspects and we are still doing our research :)

sophia — February 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Hee, isn’t every single day a Valentines in your house, Averie? You and Skylar never lack any warmth and sweetness between the two of you! ;-)

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — February 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I loves arts and crafts. I think that is why scrapbooking is so popular. It gives grown ups a reason to bring out the scissors, glue and sparkles :)

Kristina — February 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Skylar has the most amazing hair I have ever seen, 4 year old or adult! I wish I could have “child” hair again…not do a thing and it still look adorable, ugh haha!

Sarah (Flavoropolis) — February 15, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Actually, I remember making Valentine’s Day themed arts and crafts better than any other crafts from my childhood. Ah, paper hearts glued to doilies – it’s making me nostalgic!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — February 16, 2011 at 1:09 am

aww such cute goodies that Skylar got.. and wow!! she has great handwriting ;)
    i was SUCH a crafty kid… like thats all i ever did and i even won awards in magazines when i was just 4 years old.. my parents were slightly concerned cuz they thought i had like odd artistic super powers.. buttttt then sports came along and i dont do much art anymore!!! DARN i could have been the next Picasso!

Krista — February 16, 2011 at 6:24 am

I remember doing crafts for holiday’s/special occasions in school. Loved it then, but I’m not so much into that kind of thing now. Anything too picky makes me nutso! :) Hope you have a great day!!!

Beth — February 16, 2011 at 8:12 am

Thanks for sharing some photos from your Valentine’s Day.

We still have some of your GF Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bar with Vegan Chocolate Frosting. Should I FedEx some down to SD for you & the family? :)

Always enjoyed making arts & crafts at school. Although by the time I got into High School and took a couple art classes, it was too closed and structured for me. Still did the work and finished the 2 art classes, but not all that pleased with the outcome of the projects.
    Finger painting with chocolate pudding was much more fun ;)

My workout: babysitting our friends’ 2 year old for the night. Also made a fort, camped in the living room, played sleep, read books, and then she set up a tea service for us. Walking their energetic dog helped keep the body moving too.

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 16, 2011 at 10:56 am

Cute Skylar pics and looks like she really scored for Valentine’s Day.

1. Not really since it was a busy work day too.
    2. Yeah, good time.
    3. Yes and I did on Valentine’s day too getting up at 5 AM to hit the home gym before work since I knew I wouldn’t have time after.

Bria @ West of Persia — February 16, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I gave my one of my sisters the exact same box of chocolates you gave Skylar. Kept a box for myself. LOL!

Workout: Yes: with a particular focus on upper body work. Handstand drills, pull-ups (assisted for now; not forever). Took about 35 minutes, cuz that’s all I had ;-)

Arts and crafts rock.

My Vday was mainly a workday, but some chocolate and affection made their way into my day. Glad you guys had fun!

V