Wish List & Does Money Make You Happy?

I have a few things on my Wish List:

1. This camera lens

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

It’s really expensive.   And I think I am going to buy it anyway….

…After I handle Item #1.  Which is so imminently close that by month’s end it will be done.  And the noose from my neck will be gone.

The practical side of me cannot in good conscience buy something like that until I take care of business.

2. The Rules are Meant to be Broken side of me would like to blow off work and spend a week back Here

3. An immersion blender

4. Cute dishes

Cute dishes were on my last wish listAnd probably will be on the next one, too.  Or I could just raid Jenny’s stash.  Or Jenn’s stash.

These are from Antrho.  So pretty and spring-like.

And how cute are these Nesting Owls from Urban Outfitters

5. Roller Skates!

I haven’t roller skated since the 80s (Rollerblading took over in the 90′s/2oo0′s for me but haven’t done that in ages either)

How impractical but oh so right and oh so cute are these skates

From my last post about my Chocolate Stash and what you keep stashed on hand, and what you’re going to make next with chocolate, and what I should make next, thanks for the fun comments!

Dessert: After fantasizing about my Wish List items, it’s time to fantasize about a Raw Vegan Chocolate Coconut Snowball

Or perhaps a Turtle fantasy…

No-Bake Vegan Turtles

1. Do material items make you happy?

I am not going to lie.  Life is easier with money than without.  Anyone who says that money doesn’t matter has never been poor or has never wondered how they were going to eat tomorrow or keep the lights on next week.  Money does matter.

However, money doesn’t necessarily make one happy.  Look around Hollywood.  Many of those people are rich and unhappy.

Material items are nice, and if they make you happy, and you can afford them without going into debt, knock your socks off.  Buy, spend, and enjoy.

But many times, after purchasing an “amazing” item that cost a fair amount of money, there is a let down.  The said “amazing” item isn’t fulfilling long term.   It’s fine, but it doesn’t make you all warm and fuzzy, day in, day out.

For me, that reinforces that happiness cannot be bought long term.  There has to be something else to make one happy other than just stuff.   And I believe that has to come intrinsically.  It has to come from within.

Only you can make you happy.  No one else can.  No things or items can do it.   You have to do it.  Gotta dig down deep and figure out what makes you tick.  And what makes you happy.  And it’s probably not going to be a new camera lens, a new sweater, a Vita-Mix, or a trip that will sustain your happiness.  Although I wouldn’t complain if anyone wanted to hook me up!

2. What’s on Your Wish List?

No judgments passed. If money was no object, what would you like to have?

Get crazy and extravagant!

3. Has your week been going by fast?

Mine has!  Probably because I’ve been so busy!

71 Responses to “Wish List & Does Money Make You Happy?”

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 17, 2011 at 3:24 am

Those roller skates are brilliant!
    1) I always say I want just enough money to be comfortable, but not so much that it becomes a burden. Things are not so important to me. I rarely go anywhere besides work, the gym, and my parents, grandparents, & in-law’s houses. What is important to me is people. I would like to have more money only so that I could give without hesitation. Random, anonymous acts of kindness are the best!
    2) A vitamix, fun plates, a real home gym & trainer… This is random, but I would really like to start an art collection!
    3) My week has gone by fast and slow. It depends on the particular moment really! How’s that for confusing?!

Cameo — February 17, 2011 at 3:44 am

Yes, I agree fully. Money can’t buy happiness but being poor is scary! I grew up with very little $ and it was always a source of stress for my mom. Money can buy security which is important. First item on my list would be buying a home. I live in NYC and I’m sick of paying rent! But everything here is so freaking expensive!!! Also, a vitamix. And a BMW 3 series!

susan — February 17, 2011 at 3:49 am

Really good post Averie. Money doesn’t make a person happy. Of course, it helps to buy all the essentials, pay a mortgage etc but real happiness comes from within and can’t be bought. It’s interesting to view Ireland now that we were in a recession. In the boom Celtic tiger years, there was a lot of money in Ireland but I don’t think people were necessarily any happier, they were just chasing more material things and wanted bigger houses, fancier cars and clothes etc. I think now people have more time for each other, a lot of socialising is done at home and I think people here laugh more and are now enjoying the simple things and more important things in life.

Anyway if I had a wish list- would love to fly to California in the morning and go on a big shopping spree and sit out in the evenings in the warm weather with a cocktail with friends, that would be heaven. I’d also love to have a double jacuzzi bath at home, an unlimited book supply and new clothes.

Nathan Miller — February 17, 2011 at 3:53 am

Material things in life dont really get me going, Im happy with being surround by great healthy food, and loving family.

However, if I could pick one place to spend my whole day it would be in my kitchen, therefore if someone gave me a blank check to a kitchen store to fill my cabinets and drawers with all types of cooking gadgets, tools, storage, prepers, ect I think I would put the money to great use…

PS that immersion blender is at the TOP of my kitchen list as well!!! What a coincidence!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 17th, 2011 at 5:22 pm

i would love to go gadget shopping with an unlimited budget :)

• Nathan Miller replied: — February 17th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Amen Amen….I’d be in that store all day…haha…have a great weekend and enjoy the weather! Its suppose to be 60′s here in Indianapolis this weekend!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 17, 2011 at 4:17 am

While non material things are great and all, we still need to live and eat, which isn’t cheap! Plus, it is nice to be able to do some small things like go out to dinner or buy a new pair of shoes if you have a hankering to! I would love love love to spend a week some place warm with nothing to do except lay on the beach with a beer in my hand. Instead, I’ll just be excited about the fact that it will be 65 degrees in Philadelphia on Friday…

tweal — February 17, 2011 at 4:37 am

I love those nesting owls, the plates, and a new immersion blender would be wonderful! I agree, having money doesn’t necessarily mean having happiness, but it sure is nice to treat ourselves sometimes. I am currently dreaming of all sorts of new sewing equipment, like a serger, a large cutting table, storage bins – and I could use a new pair of jeans too. Hopefully the wish fairy shows up here soon!!

lindsay — February 17, 2011 at 4:48 am

those cute little material things make me happy for the time being, then I forget about them. So, retail therapy is only temporary but hey, sometimes it is needed. Right?
    Love the plates!

lauren @ spiced plate — February 17, 2011 at 4:54 am

Oh, I love those owl nesters!!!

I have credit card debt too, which I never had until 2008 — medical bills, even with personal health insurance that I was buying, added up to more than I want to think about. That paired with getting married made one heck of a debt hole to crawl out of. About a month ago I split up the debt into two different cards with 0% interest for a year (sure as heck beats the 19% I was paying before!) I’m not sure if I can pay it all within a year, but we just did our taxes and I plan to put some of the refund toward reducing my debt. It would feel SO SO SO nice not to have that “noose around my neck” too!!

Material things used to make me happy, but my husband and I have been through a super rough year, financially, and after going without buying things, I realized that at the end of the day, corny as it sounds, if I have my health, the love of my husband, and food in the fridge — that’s all that matters.

I would, however, like some new clothes. I worked on a farm this summer and also lost 30 lbs — my wardrobe is not doing so well right now!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 17, 2011 at 5:25 am

I wish I could be one of those people who didn’t want monetary things, but I’m not. I like “things.” But I’m not one who has to have flashy jewelry, fancy cars (hell don’t even have one at the moment), or even designer clothes. But I like to look nice, I do like my more expensive makeup, and man do I like my kitchen gadgets! My wish list would take all day ;-) At the top of it….getting a freaking car.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 17, 2011 at 5:34 am

Yep, I totally agree– money doesn’t make me “happy”…but it sure does make things easier! And while I think you have to search within yourself and your life to find happiness on your own…it’s a lot easier to do that searching when you aren’t preoccupied with empty bank accounts and overdue bills.

And I’m not going to lie…pretty clothes from Anthro make me happy :-)

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — February 17, 2011 at 5:49 am

You had me at the roller skates-hilarious….love ‘em. I’m compulsive when it comes to shopping so you DO NOT want my response!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 17, 2011 at 5:57 am

I wouldn’t say material things make me happy…but they definitely make me more comfortable!

Right now I would love a food processor, a VitaMix (or at least a more powerful blender than I have now!), a Garmin or something similar that can track running mileage, a trip to someplace warm would be nice too!

I am so happy it is Thursday already! So yes, my week is going by quickly!

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) — February 17, 2011 at 6:01 am

Those roller skates are amazing! I was obsessed with roller skating as a child… I had Popples and Barbie ones. :)
    I definitely don’t think money makes you happier, but does make things easier. Having a ridiculous amount of money is necessary though — just enough to do what you want (that’s the ideal, anyway). I think it’s easier because it’s something less to worry about..but happiness shouldn’t be based on “things” because they will never satisfy you. That being said, there are still material things I’d like to have, and I’d love a Vitamix. :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — February 17, 2011 at 6:12 am

Obviously you need those roller skates so you can skate around taking photos with your new lens! :-)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 17, 2011 at 6:17 am

Mike’s mom got me an immersion blender for Christmas and I love it- though I wish I could find more uses for it!!

Material things do make me happy, but never in a life-changing way. I mean, yes, I love my camera, I love shoes, I love chocolate, I love stuff like that, but…in the end, I could own Godiva, be a pro photographer and have a closet full of Louboutins and it wouldn’t mean anything if I didn’t have people to share it with. Material things can make life more fun, but they never make it inherently better.

That being said, what’s on my wish list? Louboutins, of course. They’ve been on there for years, and I WILL get married in blue ones!!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) — February 17, 2011 at 6:23 am

I love those plates! Okay I love anything from Anthro.

I’m not sure money makes happy, but it does make feel comfortable. It’s more like no money would make me unhappy. Of course there are still some material things I would like (vitamix!), but I’m content without it.

tamara — February 17, 2011 at 6:26 am

I don’t think money makes you happy, but having enough to cover life’s expenses and not having to worry all the time about paying bills and such certainly makes you less stressed and more likely to enjoy things….

My wish-list: my student debt paid off(obviously I mean right now instead of me plugging away at it for 10 or 25 years….), an Ipad(even though I have an iphone, an imac and a macbook, oh and 2 ipods…I want the whole set…LOL…), a home gym, my hubby to decide what he wants to go back to school for and actually be able to stick with it…

• tamara replied: — February 17th, 2011 at 6:27 am

oh yeah, and probably the #1 thing I didn’t think of initially because it’s something you can’t buy but for my d*** phobia to be completely cured!

radioactivegan — February 17, 2011 at 6:30 am

I want a pony!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — February 17, 2011 at 6:34 am

This week has gone by super fast! Material things don’t make me happy, but you have to have money to survive these days. I can’t say that I don’t like having or getting things from time to time, but all in all, I am pretty simple…good food, good times with family and fresh air…that makes me happy!

Gina — February 17, 2011 at 6:36 am

I would love to skip school & my internship to hit the beach! I say we have a blogger retreat in Aruba ;)

On my wish list now: a food processor, Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Vanilla Almond Butter, and a pair of Louboutins!

Sabina — February 17, 2011 at 6:36 am

hi averie!

great post! i like looking at people’s wish lists! those owls are super-duper cute (and making me want to pop over to UO to check ‘em out!)

A material thing doesn’t necessarily make me happy but if it has a purpose (i.e., a cooking/baking utensil), I get excited about what I can do with it!

My wish list: travel, travel, travel! There are so many places I want to visit for the first time and lots that I want to re-visit.

I can’t believe it’s Thursday and that the long weekend is almost here!

xo

rebecca lustig — February 17, 2011 at 6:58 am

I agree, only YOU can make YOU happy, but material items may help reinforce self-love along the way ;)

Beth — February 17, 2011 at 7:08 am

I do enjoy some material things, but I also hate clutter and lack of space. Not to mention I don’t like to have debt. They don’t make me happy, but sometimes they make life easier.

At the moment my wish list is pretty small. Just counting down the days until Barbados :)

My week has been flying by, and we have another busy night coming up. Woooosh!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — February 17, 2011 at 7:23 am

some material items make me happy – usually things related to blogging or fitness I find. Like my netbook and dslr when I got those. Or new workout clothes or if I got a Garmin. Fun items. I don’t get super excited about clothes shopping for example.

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — February 17, 2011 at 7:27 am

I love those roller skates! The last time I roller skated, I fell so hard, I bruised the inside of both kneecaps and they hurt like crazy for months. I don’t think I’ll be getting back on the wheels anytime soon. :-)

nelly — February 17, 2011 at 7:50 am

*sigh* yes money and material things do make me happy…sometimes…not always…but sometimes…ugh…who am i kidding…if one doesn’t have money it is pretty depressing…when you can’t buy certain things, like cute shoes…and cute plates…and cute everything, ya know?

i have an immersion belnder…it. is. awsome. hope you get one soon!

*hugs*

Heidi — February 17, 2011 at 8:06 am

1 – Of course money matters, but I’ve found since having my kids that I really don’t need anything that is that important that I wouldn’t give it up for my kids. Jeans don’t fit anymore? I’ll wait because my toddler needs shoes for the spring. Or I’ll go to the second hand store and spend $3. I find I’m so much happier now that I can’t buy all the things I want because I have to be happy with what I’ve got. Not that I don’t wish it was different :P
    2- My wishlist? Haha, I got the last thing on my wishlist and it was the immersion blender you posted, LOL. I got it with the accessories though. Sooooooo worth it. If money was no question though… I’d buy a new Apple computer, a vitamix and a bunch of lenses for my camera. I try not to think about what I’d buy if I had money too often. Lol.
    3- Yes! Keeping busy makes it fly by!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 17, 2011 at 8:14 am

I want that lens!! Going on my wish list, too. :D And I ALWAYS want more cute dishes! I need a room just to store them, LOL.

Material things only enhance my overall happiness. I have to be happy with everything else in life to truly enjoy material things. If anything else is off, material items can never fill the void. Sure, I get some temporary highs that perk me up, but in general, to feel really good, all things must be in balance, starting with my inner peace. When I’m at peace (rarely), everything makes me happy!! :mrgreen:

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — February 17, 2011 at 8:22 am

Ohhh dang, the things I would do for tableware from Anthro!! If only it didn’t cost all of my arms and legs and half of my ear:)

Slash Iwould DIE for an immersion blender, that would make life ten times easier and less messy!

dragonmamma/naomi — February 17, 2011 at 8:43 am

If money were no object? I’d love to have a home like this: http://www.simondale.net/house/

with a huge area for a great garden.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — February 17, 2011 at 8:55 am

Those roller skates are too cute! I got an immersion blender for my bday last year and I didn’t think it was all it was cracked up to be. I got the Cuisinart and it doesn’t make my soups or sauces smooth enough for my liking and the battery lasts, um, a minute. Maybe I got a bad one?? Anyway, if I had all the $$ in the world right now I’d take a trip to someplace sunny. For sure. Someplace tropical, warm, and fun.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 17th, 2011 at 5:31 pm

thanks for lmk about your immersion blender. some ppl say they have that one and love it but i enjoy the non stellar review too…gives me pause to ponder that purchase!

Stephanie @ Thorns Have Roses — February 17, 2011 at 9:06 am

Love the turtles. :)

I’d buy a farm…seriously. And then I’d spend my money on providing and caring for foster kids. :) And cute dishes. hehe

Erica — February 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

ah! An immersion blender is such a great tool. You must get one! I use mine at least once a week. And yes, I could also totally go back to being on vacation :) Other than that? I have some baby stuff on my wish list…but we’re waiting to find out what the sex is first (couple weeks to go!)

mi-an dela cruz — February 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

yup money makes life easier but not necessarily happy.
    my wish list:
    1. pay off my med school student loans
    2. open my own yoga studio and medical clinic
    3. buy lots of lulu clothes
    4. buy a vacation home either in the caribbean or in italy (or both!)
    5. buy houses for my parents
    6. start my own nonprofit organization and do medical missions in underdeveloped
    countries giving free health care

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 17th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

i love your list!

we need health care in this country, too! i could tell you some stories about our health insurance situation. But you don’t have hours and hours to listen to me drone on :)

Christin@purplebirdblog — February 17, 2011 at 9:41 am

Nesting OWLS?! I want those SO bad! Two of my obsessions in one! :D

I’ll be the first to admit I love stuff. When I was making bank as a manager at the transcription office I spent a lot of money on a lot of cool shiz. Getting laid off from that job put a lot of things in perspective for me financially though, and I appreciate that I’ve learned how to barter and bargain shop because now when I start making badass money again (and I WILL), I’ll be able to manage it better, save more and stilll get cool things! I love the new focus I’ve been given through being a little poor (though the poor part can stop now, kthx… lol!)

My wish list – VitaMax, Excalibur, Canon Rebel, a Camry (or Golf Hatchback, or comparable car) with bells and whistles and custom purple paint…. and SOMEDAY I’ll be rich enough to buy out a whole cul-de-sac so I can rent the houses out cheap to my closest friends. ;) I also want to travel A LOT MORE… New York, Minneapolis, back to southern Cali… to name a few :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — February 17th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

you want to go to Mpls?! I grew up there…it’s nice and all, but come to So Cal first :)

• Christin@purplebirdblog replied: — February 17th, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I have some friends up there that are heavily involved in the hip-hop scene, so it would mostly be to see them. Plus I hear it’s a lot like Austin. But I’d rather come to SoCal ;)

kate@ahealthypassion — February 17, 2011 at 9:47 am

I agree that life is easier with money than without but money is not everything ! If I could buy whatever I wanted I would probably get a new food processor and a cannon rebel :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — February 17, 2011 at 9:56 am

I don’t think money buys happiness, but it would be nice to have enough to not worry about it again!

Alicia — February 17, 2011 at 11:26 am

I would like to buy allll the lululemon workout clothes there are! I also have a problem with Nike, I have a ridiculous amount of shoes especially but I still want more and I’m afraid if money were endless I’d literally have every item. I’d like a house since I’m still in college I’m still a renter… I love my car so I’m good there… um I’d also like pay for club vball for anyone who needs it and buy all the gear for any team that I want too. A lot of girls can’t afford to play and it breaks my heart so I want to help with that. Is it wrong that I will not be buying gear for our rival teams even if they need it? haha Thats all for now… I love your list!

Kelly — February 17, 2011 at 11:45 am

I totally agree that while money does not equal happiness it does make life easier and less stressful. If money were no object I would buy 2 things really quickly…a lexus IS 350 and a lake house.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' — February 17, 2011 at 11:55 am

I don’t think material items necessarily make me “happy” (only I can do that), but they can make life easier!! My Vita-Mix for example, makes my life WAY easier– I don’t regret that purchase one bit! Those cute, spring plates from Anthro are something I absolutely don’t need, but might make me smile when I see them everyday, too! ;)

On my wish list right now? A nicer juicer! I’d love a Green Star, but I am waiting until my Breville dies on me…

This week went by REALLY fast! But I’m traveling for work, so my schedule is off anyway!

Jen — February 17, 2011 at 11:57 am

Money may not be everything, but it sure as hell sucks not having any!!!! Money definitely makes life easier!

Christine (The Raw Project) — February 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Wow, that’s a nice lens! I would be scared to carry it I think. :-P

1. Yes and no. I enjoy what I have, but I never look at millionaires with tons of stuff and envy that. In fact I usually wonder how they heck they enjoy it all and why they felt they needed it. Material items make life easier and I feel I’m very rich in that area, but I don’t want excessive amounts of it and I hate clutter. :-) So true on post-purchase let downs.
    2. My own animal shelter maybe? Seriously, I don’t want a bigger house or a collection of luxo cars. Okay, maybe a tricked out custom kitchen with more room for hubby and I to play dueling chefs. :-)
    3. Yes, but also busy.

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — February 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Those exact roller skates are a MUST. I looove them. Oh and my immersion blender is my favorite kitchen tool at the moment. I highly recommend the exact one you have pictured :)

rachel — February 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm

i wouldn’t say money makes me happy, but it is a necessity. sure it’s nice to have new things now and then, and if we can spend it then i’m all for it. but for the most part, we are on a tight budget and the bills come first. and food of course ;)
    i have a lot of things on my wish list, including cute dishes! lots of cookbooks, gardening books, plants, a vita mix would be sweet, just to name a few.

Catherine — February 17, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I’ll say it.
    Money ‘makes’ me happy.
    Things ‘make’ me happy.
    Most of my adult life I collected refundable containers to pay my phone bill so I like money now that I have it.
    HOWEVER, my happiness is not dependent on money or things.
    I am also very happy without either.
    It’s more fun and less stress to have money.
    Mind you, I had LOTS of fun and joy all those years I frequented food banks because I was hungry.
    So it’s a frame of reference: a perspective.

Oh; immersion blender. Just got one and I Love It :)

Jen @keepitsimplefoods — February 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I’m def in need of a new lense (macro) and a beach vacay and a chocolate turtle- all right now! ;)

Katie — February 17, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Those skates are the coolest!!!

marla — February 17, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Those skates are freakin’ hilarious!! OMG can’t believe you stumbled on those. The lens – worth the wait, but really worth the bucks. I need an immersion blender desperately as well ;) xo

Susan — February 17, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I don’t think that money is needed for happiness, nor does money guarentee happiness. But I do believe we can buy things that bring us happiness and that’s not a bad thing! Basically I agree with you Averie haha!

I honestly like having less “stuff” though. It makes things much simpler. If I had money, I’d spend a lot of it on my parents. They give me so much!

Stephanie — February 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm

1. I totally agree with you on that! Though it does make life easier, it doesn’t really make you any happier. I’d rather spend time with people, make a nice meal or go for a walk to get happy.

2. A Vita-Mix, a Breville juicer (which I’m actually getting today – YAY!), a french oven from Le Creuset, a bag from Matt and Nat, shoes from Olsen Haus and pretty spring dresses. I also want a new pair of jeans because the only pair I have/had fell apart, but that’s more of a need than a want. A girl needs more than a pair of cargo pants and leggings, right?

3. Absolutely. I’m on reading week this week and am supposed to be studying for mid terms next week. I haven’t done much of that… and yet I still have time to stay up-to-date with blogs. Whoops.

• Linda Wagner - Nutrition to Invigorate Mind, Body & Spirit replied: — February 17th, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Hi darlin,

Quick question, what will you be using the lens for? Food photos? Landscape? I am still learning about my DSLR camera, I just got it 2 months ago but have been having TONS of fun taking pictures for my blog!!

Immersion blender is a MUST!! Mine also has the whisk attachment and I just LOVE it, a kitchen essential! You can get them at Bed Bath and Beyond for $40-50. I got it in silver and I think it was about $50. You’ll love it!

I love me some fun dishes!! Today I went around to different thrift shops looking for fun antique dishes to use for my blog. It’s fun and inexpensive if you’re looking to save $$!

Have a great weekend Averie!

xo