Art & Artists

It’s a beautiful day here!  Low 80s and sunny!  I got a great run in outside and came in for some yoga and moves on my ball.  Quitting the gym and streamlining my workouts was the best thing I’ve done in a long time.

After running amongst the plants, I came in and ate some.

Dressed with Vegan Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing

Did you notice that salad collage picture?  That’s my idea of artwork. I made it using Lightroom 3.  Major thanks (again) to Kath’s post about how she created collages using Lightroom because I was able to create one, too.   I get excited about these things now.

Skylar made me some artwork, too.  I get more excited about her artwork than mine, though.

It’s a hummingbird using her handprint as the bird body.

Some day I’m sure she will love to know her hand was this size at age 4.

After I made my idea of artwork, and Skylar made hers, we snacked on some Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars

And if you’re still hungry, you can always make some Caramelized Cinnamon & Sugar Roasted Chickpea “Peanuts”

That’s the caramel that’s created in the cooking process.  Just wanting to eat that is perfectly okay.

From my last post about Awards, Tidbits, and Trivia, I’m glad you enjoy those types of posts every now and then and that it helps you get to know the blog author a bit better.

And thanks for sharing all your tidbits and trivia.  And feel free to claim and post those awards on your own blogs!

1. Did your parents save your childhood artwork?  Do you still have any of it?

My mom saved tons of what I made.  And I do have a couple boxes full of childhood art projects that are in storage in my garage.  I’ve moved them around the country with me for the last 15 years or so, and am glad I have.

2. Do you consider yourself an artist?  What is your artistic medium?

Artists do not just come in the form of people who can draw or paint.  To me, there is artistry in so many different realms and I think that everyone has artistic talents not confined to “pencil and paper” art.

People who are great cooks, writers, piano players, dancers, musicians, graphic designers, public speakers, yogis, actors, sculptors, photographers, athletes, seamstresses, and so many more mediums, are all great artists.

When one is very skilled at their craft, and does it well, whatever that craft may be, it is art.

For example, being a good public speaker is an art.  It may not be drawing or painting, but it is an art.  Try it and see how smooth you are in front of 200 people. To be smooth is an art.

Just as being able to be a great cook is an art.  Even if you don’t like the way someone prepares food for your own personal taste, being able to respect food, flavor combinations, and the skillful way in which they were combined to create a great dish is artistry at its finest.

One thing that I have loved about my blog is that it’s helped me develop skills I knew I had such as writing and cooking, but it has made me much better and more creative.  And by no means do I consider my writing or my recipes to be high forms of art or anything, but they are skills I am honing.

And my blog has also opened the door to photography, which I will be forever grateful!

There are so many ways to express ourselves!

What is your art?  How do you like to express yourself?

3. Any forms of artistry you wish you were better at or would like to learn?

I want to continue to grow as a cook, writer, photographer, yogi.

I want to become a better scuba diver and maybe learn underwater photography.

And I would love to be a Cirque du Soleil performer.  Not sure that will happen in this lifetime, but it sure would be fun!

47 Responses to “Art & Artists”

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) — March 31, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Aww, Skylar’s hummingbird is too cute! My mom saved a lot of my artwork from when I was little — it’s not very good, but makes me laugh! My people and dogs always had rounded feet..no idea why! lol :) My art is definitely music/singing!

Baking 'n' Books — March 31, 2011 at 1:31 pm

YES! Writing is art Averie. I’m glad you said that – and I love that you recognize that you are a writer. I like blogs that like to do it not just for the food, etc. But to express…well, what they want to ! And expression is a form of art :)

“just wanting to eat that is perfectly okay” – love that. I’m going to post that on my fridge :)

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy — March 31, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I have stacks of my son’s artwork stored away! I think he will absolutely love to look back on it all someday! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — March 31, 2011 at 1:36 pm

We have a trunk in one of our guest rooms filled with me and my brother’s elementary school papers and such. Stuff is pretty much exploding out of it, so much so that I’m scared to look in it, but yeah, there’s definitely childhood art in there!! I’m a horrible artist though, so I’m sure they’re not very good.

I’ve always been a good writer, so I guess that would be my biggest form of artistic expression. I actually started college as a creative writing major, in one of the best programs in the country (no one knows that Carnegie Mellon is amazing for it), but ended up switching because I realized that while I like to write, I don’t like to be all that creative, haha. I like to just write what I’m thinking!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — March 31, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love Skylar’s art — I remember making something similar in school when I was a kid (except it was a turkey for Thanksgiving I think!).

Reading this post reminded me how much I loved taking Art History classes in college. I absolutely loved learning about the artists – certain paintings, sculptures, how you can tell what artist made what, etc. Sometimes I really wish I had taken more of those classes!

I have a big bin of childhood stuff -whatever my mom could cram in there is what I have. Lots of art, old report cards, book reports, ornaments we’d make around Christmas, old valentines, etc.

There are many things I’d like to learn more about: cooking, photography, painting, drawing, dance, etc. The list is endless!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — March 31, 2011 at 1:44 pm

My parents saved a little bit. I wish they would have saved more. Just a couple weeks ago my son drew a picture where I actually recognized what was in it without him telling me! That’s on the fridge for a while longer and then I’m saving that one for.ev.er. Love Skylars art, I’m such a sucker for cute stuff like that.
    I’m really not a pencil to paper artist. I do my thing in the kitchen :) I do like experimenting with photography and I used a write a lot… I think it’s something that takes a while to come back after you haven’t done it in a long time, or maybe that’s just me. I am actually OK in front of people because I had to do it a lot when I was younger… or maybe that’s something you lose over time too – I haven’t done it in a while!
    I don’t know why this popped into my head, but I wish I was better at the art of conversation. I suck at small talk or when there isn’t a subject already going. Of course I’d love to improve in the kitchen and with my photography and writing. I cook and bake every day I’ll get better eventually, right?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 31st, 2011 at 3:47 pm

there is SUCH an art to small talk. I am the queen of it, but it’s a learned skill. I interact with tons and tons of people every day and it’s like talking to a rock. I think it’s great that you want to improve on it. And I’m sure you’re already great :)

• Heidi @ Food Doodles replied: — March 31st, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Haha! I try to be as un-rock-like as I can be even if I don’t know what to say to some people :D

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 31, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I am kind of weird about the word artist…being that I live with one. I believe that an artist creates artwork. I believe writing makes you a writer, photography makes you a photographer…you get the idea. I think that the word artist has been used for too many creative outlets. Creativity is beautiful, but I don’t thinks its artistic…if that makes sense. Again, I live with an artist, so I’m kind of weird about the subject.

Christine @ Merf In Progress — March 31, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I’m no artist but my 4 year old son is a budding artist. In fact, I am planning to post his latest creations tonight. He takes his sketch pad and draws the things he sees — plants, our house, people. I love it!!!

Jen — March 31, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I’m starting culinary school on Monday, so that’s the main form of artistry I will be focusing on! I can’t wait! By the way, Skylar is so cute. I love her name! (And her leopard print leggings.)

Katie — March 31, 2011 at 2:25 pm

My mom saved everything! And then a couple years ago she made us each a HUGE scrapbook with stuff from kindergarten to high school graduation. I love it!!

My art is crafts. not really all that Artistic, but hey, I’m a scientist. I play with numbers. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Love Skylar’s hummingbird picture!! That is adorable. And no, my parents never saved any of my artwork, but I also never gave it to them, LOL. My parents were business owners, they worked 7 days a week and I had my nanny, so I never really bothered with things like that. Though, I did make a duck on burlap for my mom and she hanged it in her bedroom. So, I guess she kept one for awhile. Oh, and some Christmas ornaments that I made in school. They kept those for several years. I was never especially proud of my artwork, so I never really cared if anyone kept it, haha.

I feel I am artistic in many ways, especially cooking. I don’t feel I am a professional artist, but I feel my creativity shines through when I apply it in my web design and food and writing and whatever home-decorating project I embark on. I know there’s plenty of room for improvement in all areas, but I do enjoy it. When I think about it, art is a big part of my life. Weird to think about, right? :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 31st, 2011 at 3:48 pm

you are totally an artist! you took what I was wanted graphically and artistically and made it come to life! that’s art!!!

lindsay — March 31, 2011 at 2:51 pm

so sweet! I love it when my nieces and nephews give me artwork. Straight from the heart. Skylars is of course so artistic. A keeper for sure!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — March 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm

1) My Mom still puts out the paper turkey I made in kindergarten ! I used to think that was annoying, but now I’m happy she still has a BUNCH of my childhood artwork… in her house. lol …no need for paper turkey’s here ;)

2) I am NOT an artist. Stick figures for me! BUT, I do love styling food and making it look pretty on a plate. Is that art ? I like creating recipes too, but pretty sure I can’t consider that art.

3) “I want to become a better scuba diver and maybe learn underwater photography.” – YES PLEASE!

CathyK — March 31, 2011 at 3:19 pm

i love skylar’s bird! she obviously is a fan of bright colours!
    knitting is my form of creative artwork. i never do the same pattern twice!
    i’d love to work more as yoga – i do see it as a form of art/self expression.
    as you continue to develop your photography skills, it’ll be fun to look back and see your progession! keep having fun!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — March 31, 2011 at 3:31 pm

My parents did save some of my artwork; it’s so fun to look at it now. I consider myself an artist–I’m a writer. I love to write my blog, but fiction is my true love. I’ve actually completed a full-length novel. (It sits on my shelf….) The art I want to tackle next is photography. I’ve really enjoyed watching your photos evolve. They are looking fantastic lately–it’s very evident that you have been putting time and effort into them! :-)

Renée — March 31, 2011 at 3:54 pm

What a coincidence, I just found out that my dad kept a box full of my childhood artwork and homemade cards the other day. I looked through all of it, it was so funny!

Jen (The Best Kitchen) — March 31, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Skylar’s artwork looks fantastic! I still have some of my childhood paintings :D

McKella — March 31, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Skylar’s hair is getting so long!
    I’ve always loved art. My mom has massive binders full of stuff I made as a kid and her house is still decorated with my drawings, paintings, sculptures, collages, pottery, scratchboards, etc. I minored in art in college and now I feel like it’s time to get back into it. My new apartment even has an extra bedroom so I can have a studio!
    My favorite mediums are acyrilics or oils and collage. I’d love to do more with encaustics, linocut and bookmaking, but those require a lot more equipments. I’m not even sure where to buy encaustics. Someday.

lauren @ spiced plate — March 31, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Ah, this was fun to look at. One of my many hats that I wear is kid’s art teacher, it’s such a rewarding profession.

I’m an artist — I draw and paint maps, mostly imaginary ones. You can see them at http://silentlanguages.etsy.com

I think cooking and blogging is an art form, too. I feel the same way about the dance and yoga that I practice, about making lesson plans for teaching. So many things are an artform. I guess I have a wide definition of it.

Lea — March 31, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I’m finally de-lurking!

I still make artwork for my mom, and I’m in college! Though it does take a little more to impress her now than it use to. I’ve been dancing since before I can remember and I’m currently studying graphic design; I think participating in some form of art is a really important thing to have in your life, it makes for a great stress reliever and emotional outlet. I do wish I was better at public speaking though, I am seriously lacking in that artistic department.

I made you Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars the other day and they were delicious! I live in a college dorm, so your no-back recipes are right up my alley.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 31st, 2011 at 6:21 pm

thanks for delurking and glad the bars are right up your alley! new recipe to be unveiled soon that is delish and micro only, too :)

julie — March 31, 2011 at 5:54 pm

hahaha i love skylar’s art work! it totally reminds me of the hand turkey we used to make in elementary school for thanksgiving! i’m pretty sure deej still has some of them haha

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — March 31, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Loving your photographs! Congrats on really going for all of it, the good camera, learning to use all of those programs!! You will forever have those memories!

Toni — March 31, 2011 at 6:10 pm

What gorgeous photos!

My favorites are of the Birds of Paradise!! Such a gorgeous flower!

CH — March 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I definitely think of my writing (poetry, prose, essays, and even blogging) as an art form! The thing I love about blogging (well, one of the things, lol), is that it encourages me to be creative — to write in new ways, take pictures, etc. So much fun!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 31, 2011 at 6:23 pm

We have a whole bunch of stuff that my mom saved from us when we were little. I actually have a handprint from when I was 4 too!

Writing is my “art form”. I have never been traditionally artistic, but writing is my forte!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — March 31, 2011 at 6:24 pm

The weather there sounds absolutely amazing!
    My mom has a drawer in her dresser with all my brother and my artwork!

chrysta — March 31, 2011 at 6:30 pm

aw so cute! I love Skylar’s art! My parents saved a bunch of my childhood stuff although I have no idea where it is now. I think its at their place. Would be fun to sit and go through sometime! Its funny cause my profession is actually a digital artist as I work in VFX…but I dont really consider it my art. I feel like my art is more personal and comes out through my cooking and just life in general. (sorry if that sounds cheesy..) I wish I were more of a writer though! That is a skill i wish I could tune into more. Have a wonderful day!

(Did you ever receive my emails? my email account has been funky lately so wasnt sure..)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — March 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm

My mom has “save boxes” in our basement that has artwork, writing, certificates, etc for me and my brothers from ages 0-18. I looked through them a couple of times, and it was definitely fun to see what I had made and written when I was 3 years old vs 10 years old and whatnot. There truly is so much of ourselves expressed in our art, whether drawing, writing, or whatever it might be.

I do consider myself creative. I’ve always loved the arts & crafts sort of things and used to choose to watch Martha Stewart instead of Sesame Street when I was little (seriously). I love design, whether in fashion, colors, patterns, or interior design. I’m also SUCH a writer and always have been. I think there are so many outlets to express our creativity and that’s what makes each person’s expression so unique!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — March 31, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I love both your art work! I can’t wait to get lightroom tomorrow! I so want to stream line my uploads and prep work.

I don’t really consider myself artistic, but when I get in the kitchen and create meals and treats, that’s where my artistic side comes out. My husband is a graphic artist and does some amazing work. I with I had his touch, but everyone has their own talent.

Michele Sparrow — March 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I don’t think my mom saved any of my artwork. I have definitely saved some of my boys’ artwork from when they were much younger and it is so fun to go back and look at it and to show them as well. They get a kick out of it, too! :-)

I am a musical artist. I studied classical piano from the age of 4 through college and then studied private voice for 5 years in college and went on to pursue musical theater. I sang and performed in many different musicals and various shows. In fact, to this day, it is one of the great joys of my life. I absolutely love to sing.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 31, 2011 at 8:41 pm

My parents saved a lot of my artwork, and I saved a lot too. I use my old artwork from grade 7/8 as examples for art projects that I now give to my students :-)

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 31, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Nice, sounds like our weather! Like the photo art. :-) The chickpeas sound great, I still need to try those.

1. Some of it, not all of it and my mom still has some.
    2. I guess, I used to be really artistic in high school and college taking lots of art classes with nude models. :-) I’m starting to get back into it mainly through photo editing and freelance graphics.
    3. Photo editing and video editing.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 31st, 2011 at 8:58 pm

they didnt have classes like that when i was in h.s. or i was clueless. but in my early 20s, i was a model for those types of classes. Got paid to lay there and drink wine. It was perfect!

Amanda — March 31, 2011 at 10:23 pm

What a cutie! I am just getting into crafts now! Painting parties are fun too with girlfriends. Grab some canvasses, paint, brushes and wine and your good to go!

Amber K — April 1, 2011 at 9:51 am

The only stuff I have saved from my childhood is what I picked out and kept hidden in my room. My parents were the opposite of hoarders when it came to my stuff! I can definitely understand that clutter is an issue, but seriously people ;)

I don’t really consider myself an “artist” but I do stamped cross-stitching to relax. And I do have some things I have made that look beautiful from afar. Don’t look too close, no one needs to see where I messed up, as I tend to do because I zone out, lol.

Krista — April 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

Skylar’s bird is so cute! My Mom saved all our better stuff and I still like to look it over. My kids do, too! I also save some of Sarah & Noah’s better pieces so they have them later on in life. An artist I am not, though! I can’t even draw stick people right. LOL

Amanda — April 1, 2011 at 11:25 am

OMG YOUR PREGGERS???? CONGRATS!! ME TOO!!!
    lol…

Sam @ the neurotic yogini — April 2, 2011 at 9:38 am

I love playing with oil pastels.. and I’m going to start painting again now that the weather is warm. There are lots of places on the Green Belt I can hide away with some art stuff and spend the day sketching, painting, what have you. ^_^