Blue Food & Fun Toppings

It’s been a lovely day in San Diego.

I went for 20 minute outdoor run and came inside and did 20 minutes of yoga + weightlifting moves

The flowers are blooming, the days are getting longer (love it!), and I can feel spring in the air!

Life has been good.

In other matters, I got two bags of blue chips in the mail from Terra Chips

I like these Terra chips because they are a very “hearty” chip.  Not flimsy or airy, nice and crunchy.  Since I don’t usually eat much sodium, the salt on the chips definitely wakes up my tastebuds.

Handy little chip clip.  You can never have too many of these.

Terra Chips partnered with Jet Blue and they’re giving away tropical vacations and other fun stuff.  You may want to enter to win, here.

Eating these blue chips reminded me of my Ginger Roasted Tri-Colored Potatoes

I don’t think the purple potatoes taste any differently, but they’re fun to serve.  Purple food is just more fun.

But let’s move on from Blue Food to Fun Toppings for Food…

Like Vegan GF Pancakes topped with syrup and blueberries.  I guess blueberries fall into the blue food realm, though.

Or go a little crazy…

and have Butterfinger Oatmeal

It has oats + bananas, so it’s still “healthy”, right?

From my last post about Photography Homework & Lighting, thanks for sharing your tips and tricks.

Thanks for bearing with seeing the same food photographed from all those angles.  It still amazes me what just angles and positioning and lighting can do to change the final result and finished product.

And glad you liked the iPhone apps recap list!

Dessert: Butterscotch Chip Topped Rice Krispy Treats (with Vegan Chocolate Frosting)

Butterscotch Chips = a fun topping!

1. Best thing you’ve ate or done so far this weekend?

Being with Skylar and enjoying the lovely weather!

2. Ever tried blue chips or blue potatoes?  Do you think they taste any differently?

I don’t, but I am not that into potatoes.  I know some people have distinct preferences and are particular whether they have yukon golds, new potatoes, red potatoes, russets, Idaho, etc. but to me, they are all just taters.  Except for Sweet Potatoes, as discussed a few days ago.

3. What are your Toppings for Oatmeal or Smoothies?

I won’t lie, crushing up Butterfingers makes a bowl of oatmeal super good.  So does adding frosting, sprinkles, butterscotch chips, or chocolate chips.

Looking for toppings that are a little “healthier”?  What, candy for breakfast isn’t healthy?

Try raisins, chia seeds or other seeds, nuts, or crumbling up some homemade granola (20 minutes to make, vegan + GF)

Or just add a drizzle of my quick Raw Vegan Chocolate.  Makes everything instantly better in 30 seconds.  And it’s healthy because of the coconut oil.  Right.

What are your fun or favorite toppings?  Either for oatmeal, smoothies, or in general?

57 Responses to “Blue Food & Fun Toppings”

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — March 5, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I have never had a blue potato before! Maybe it will make me blue, dabba dee dabba di:)

Jess@HealthyExposures — March 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm

“The sun was shining all day, the temperature was around 78F with a light breeze that was just enough to make the palm fronds blow.”
    Gee, it sounds glorious over there…rub it in a little more, why don’t you? haha, just kidding. (…sort of. as I listen to the wind howl out my door and rain pouring down on the roof. At least it’s warm enough to rain.)
    I’ve seen those chips at the store and wondered how they were! Sometimes I get a munchy-salty-crunchy craving, but whenever I end up buying a bag of chips or something it never fails that I’ll only have a couple servings before they get “old.”
    Are purple potatoes the same as blue? They definitely are more fun, if nothing else :)

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — March 5, 2011 at 7:43 pm

1. best thing this weekend: hang out with my husband! We set up our trainers in the living room, and cycled away together. It was awesome.

2. I’m with you on this one. A potato tastes like a potato to me.

3. I’m kinda obsessed with adding pb to pumpkin oatmeal. I could eat a vat of that!

Jessica @ How Sweet — March 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I am obsessed with blue corn chips. Obsessed.

Jess — March 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I just LOVE how you workout in 40 minutes. You are a workout EXTRAORDINAIRE!!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli — March 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm

So jealous of your beautiful weather! It’s been raining and in the 40′s all day over here! :(

I’ve never had a blue potato before, but they are so pretty!

Favorite oatmeal toppings: everything in my freaking pantry! Haha! All of my bowls usually have a nut butter, but sometimes I switch things up with the other toppings: fresh fruit, dried fruit, cereal, granola, coconut, or chocolate chips! A bowl of oats is like a blank canvas to me!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 6th, 2011 at 3:30 am

thank you for all the awesome comments and lmk if you need more info on the V vs. BT email you sent me. I was running out the door.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I love the color of blue potatoes. They’re very high in antioxidants, so they have a slight edge over the others.

Toppings? Put me down for everything, lol.

chrysta — March 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Blue potatoes are great@! I dont think they taste any different but they just add a nice pop of color into a dish. Im kinda boring with toppings..on my oats in the morning I just love apples. Its just my staple that Im obsessed with. I think for smoothies though I like adding something with a little crunch. Granola or something like that works for me. Have an awesome day!

Hannah — March 5, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I’ve never really topped my smoothies with anything, but my regular oatmeal toppings are salted peanut butter, maple syrup, and lindt 85% chocolate. So good!

Lindsay — March 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Whoooa candy on oatmeal!? So sneaky yet I love it!
    San Diego is looking about as gorgeous as sunny Florida is these days :) I’m headed to Colorado tomorrow. Although I’ll enjoy the nice vacay I’m going to miss the beautiful sunny weather and ambient temperatures my Florida home has to offer!
    Purple potatoes = magical. They are delicious and nutritious. Enough said.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 6th, 2011 at 3:40 am

I noticed our blogs have very similar names! I clearly love my veggies, too :)

• Lindsay replied: — March 6th, 2011 at 4:24 am

Thanks for the comment Averie :) yeah I noticed that too… funny stuff. I love my yoga too so I could have easily added that! lol

Christin@purplebirdblog — March 5, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I love the purple potatoes but only for looks… I am partial to purple! ;)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — March 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Today was such a good day to live in California :)

I don’t care what color a potato is- if it’s a potato, I know I will love it!

Katie — March 5, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Yeah, purple food, or anything bright colored is super fun. I think that’s the only reason I eat blueberries. I’m on the lookout for purple cauliflower now. I’ve only seen orange, which is still pretty cool.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 6th, 2011 at 3:31 am

purple cauli is everywhere in the san diego farmer’s markets and for a year, i had purple cauli in my blog header!

bitt — March 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Have had blue potatoes or chips in ages so I can’t recall if they taste different. The blue chips always remind me of Jet Blue, they are the snack they serve. So greasy but good.

Amber K — March 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I don’t think I have ever tried a blue potato before. I love red potatoes a lot, but can’t really stand sweet potatoes. They are too sweet! I have a huge sweet tooth, but when I”m craving a potato I’m looking for a savory flavor.

My favorite oatmeal topping is cinnamon and chocolate peanut butter :)

Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free — March 5, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I ordered off of iherb today and thought of you!

Emma — March 6, 2011 at 1:44 am

Great post! Your pictures really are getting better! I love Spring! There was a little robin chirping somewhere near my bedroom window for hours last night! Made me smile….Spring is in the air!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries — March 6, 2011 at 2:18 am

I have to agree that blue food is more fun! I love adding blueberries to my oats because it turns them such a funky color. My usual oatmeal toppings are peanut butter and banana! Classic :)

Marie-Sophie — March 6, 2011 at 3:59 am

I love chocolate on anything so yeah, favourite topping :-) – but nut butters are good, too!
    By the way, thanks Averie for your Code!! Win-win for both of us … I got those 5 dollars which made purchasing sun warrior a bit easier on the budget and if the international shipping really works then I will be ordering more stuff from them :-)
    a chocolaty hello from Germany!

Lauren @chigallauren — March 6, 2011 at 5:24 am

I agree that purple food is just way more fun! I’m totally jealous of your weather, it snowed here AGAIN yesterday, boo. Thanks for the vegan GF pancake recipe, I’m actually going to try it out this morning :)

kate@ahealthypassion — March 6, 2011 at 5:35 am

OMG your weather is beautiful its been raining the past day here, never fun. Your food just made me soo hungry I want it all for breakfast :) Neveer tried those chips but im always on the lookout for new blue chips love them.. and best thing I did this weekend, came home to dinner being cooked last night always a wonderful surprise! Have a great sunday :)

Me — March 6, 2011 at 5:42 am

Oh…can I be anal and ask you to fix the grammar in this :

1. Best thing you’ve ate or done so far this weekend?

I’ve been reading your blog and it just sticks out every time :)

Steph! — March 6, 2011 at 5:58 am

Ooh I love Terra chips! And I’ll have to give your tri-colored potato recipe a try. Looks great!

Best thing I’ve done this weekend? Slept, sadly :)

Mama Kelly aka Jia — March 6, 2011 at 6:08 am

Best thing eaten this weekend?

My 16 year old made her first batch of marinara sauce and it came out really yummy.

Also I made a batch of sloppy joe type sandwich filling using lentils.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — March 6, 2011 at 7:36 am

Morning!!
    So my mom and dad are heading to San Diego for awhile, have any tips for them re: food, markets, fun shopping places? They are taking their RV down that way!!!

AS for toppings, I LOVE caramel and chocolate!! MMMMMMMMMMM

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 6th, 2011 at 12:08 pm

girl there is soooo much to do and see. If they have really specific questions based on their interests from beaches to shopping to museums to food, I am sure I could make some rec’s but tell them to just HAVE FUN. It’s an awesome city with so much good stuff all over :) Wish you were coming with them!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — March 6, 2011 at 7:55 am

I wish I was in San Diego right now! It’s so beautiful there, you’re very lucky. Alberta [Canada] is nice too, but it’s just so darn cold right now!

My favorite toppings are walnuts, shredded coconut, raisins, and coconut butter. I put those 4 things on practically everything. Another great topping is a cut up lara bar or broken up [healthy] cookie. The best thing I’ve had to eat this weekend was the porridge bars I made this morning. They just hit the spot!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — March 6, 2011 at 8:03 am

I love experimenting with different nut butters on my oats. Recently I discovered a love for Sweet Potato Butter (locally made, found in the farmer’s market) + pecans.

Your blueberry-banana oat cookie made for a fantastic breakfast, btw! Hot blueberries are another favorite addition to my oats. :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 6, 2011 at 8:22 am

Beautiful weather, it was nice here before the afternoon rain kicked in. But I know months free of rain, clouds and fog is just around the corner here. The chips look good, pretty wild color.

1. The raw fest at Whole Foods.
    2. Yes, but it’s been awhile. As I recall, they did not taste different, but looked cool.
    3. Fruit, usually chopped bananas or a berry mixture. Chia seeds and cereal aren’t bad either.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 6, 2011 at 8:57 am

I am a huge fan of toppings … for pizza, ice-cream, oatmeal … anything!

I love coconut and chocolate toppings most I think.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — March 6, 2011 at 9:10 am

You live in San Diego?! I’ll be out there the weekend of June 5 for the San Diego Rock N’ Roll Mararthon! We should try to have a meetup! I’ve never tried the blue chips but they look amazing!

Lisa — March 6, 2011 at 9:14 am

I’m a sucker for buying anything different—once. If it tastes the same as “regular” then I don’t buy it again….blue chips—had ‘em once. They were fine, but nothing special!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — March 6, 2011 at 11:22 am

I am so envious of your weather! ( I know I keep saying this ).. it was 50 degrees today and feel so warm! I was out with my dog for a two hour walk!

I’m going to be in your neck of the woods late summer/early fall! I’d love to get together while I’m there!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Gorgeous pictures. we’re finally starting to see hints of color now. My fave part of spring. I think blue chips tend to be thicker, not so much different tasting as very slight texture difference.

milkdog — March 6, 2011 at 6:41 pm

best thing eaten this wknd Mrs.Phangs salmon&broccoli
    best thing “done”- fashion show with ma sistah!
    do love blue potatoes! i think my soul can taste the blue.

cooked some blueberries down to a warm jammy goo to top my bfast french toast.drool.

Sheila — March 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I’ve never had a blue potato before, but will have to try them

Favorite oatmeal toppings: All of my bowls usually fresh fruit, , granola, coconut. I really like steel cut oats the best!!!

Krista — March 9, 2011 at 11:44 am

We love Terra chips at my place!!! I don’t think they taste any different, but we eat with our eyes and I find the colour very appealing. Lately I’ve been on a real blueberry, dark chocolate chip kick as topping for my oatmeal…

Rigoberto Kraker — March 12, 2011 at 9:32 am

I simply want to mention I’m beginner to weblog and honestly liked your web-site. Very likely I’m likely to bookmark your website . You certainly have awesome articles and reviews. Cheers for sharing your website.