Cinnamon-Sugar and Ginger-Roasted Potato Sticks

I’ve had quite a few potato recipes lately because I had several taters on my hands that needed to be used, and a husband who will never say no to potatoes.  Today’s recipe is my latest spud creation.

It was met with husband approval.

A Visual Guide

Combine all ingredients, toss and coat

Get ready to bake

After flipping halfway through roasting

Done!

You may enjoy serving these potatoes with everything from ketchup to maple syrup to cinnamon-flavored cream cheese.  What can I say, I live for dips and condiments and creative flavor combinations.

Or simply eat the cinnamon sugar and ginger roasted potato sticks plain.

And yes, I think this is my last tater recipe for a bit.

No more spuds.  For awhile.

Cinnamon-Sugar and Ginger-Roasted Potato Sticks

1 large potato, chopped into sticks

2 to 3 tbsp EVOO or coconut oil

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tbsp cinnamon

2 tbsp brown sugar (or use white sugar, stevia, reduce/omit the sugar)

Optional: pinch of nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, garam masala, or other warming spices

Directions:

Place potatoes in a bowl and add all ingredients.  Toss with a spoon to coat.  Place potato sticks on foil-lined baking sheet (to save on clean-up time).  Bake at 400F for 30-40 minutes (or until crispy).  Flip potatoes once halfway through cooking to ensure even crisping.  Because brown sugar caramelizes, watch them near the end of the cooking time to make sure they don’t burn.

Do you ever make your potato recipes sweet?  Are you a potato fan?

She’s a fan!

Please check out my Potato Themed Recipes Post.  Full of ideas and recipes that include potatoes in everything from soups to one-pot meals to stand alone side dishes.

46 Responses to “Cinnamon-Sugar and Ginger-Roasted Potato Sticks”

CathyK — March 24, 2011 at 3:18 am

oh, scott will be disappointed when you say that you are taking a break from new tater recipes, averie!!
    love skylar’s hoodie in that last photo. and her smile! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 24, 2011 at 4:11 am

Besides pb banana oatmeal, any kind of potatoes are my favorite food. No joke.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — March 24, 2011 at 4:12 am

My absolute favorite combination on my sweet potato round is cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Those topping are also fantastic on pumpkin! Glad your recipe turned out so well!

That’s an adorable picture of Skylar… it looks like she has something sneaky planned up her sleeve. ;) So cute!

lauren @ spiced plate — March 24, 2011 at 4:19 am

i LOVE sweet potatoes! I usually bake them with a coating of olive oil, garam masala, salt, and pepper. I’ve done cinnamon and ginger, but now I need to try the cinna-suga combo!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 24, 2011 at 4:19 am

I’ve never done sweet on regular potatoes and I don’t think my crew here would let me. They are potato purist…so potatoes are savory and sweet potatoes are sweet. It’s Thursday and I am ready for the weekend! I hope you have a great day!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — March 24, 2011 at 4:21 am

I love both the simplicity and deliciousness of this dish! I’ve never made my regular potatoes sweet, but this recipe sounds pretty awesome :)

bob — March 24, 2011 at 4:40 am

Hey, really great blog posts… I’ve enjoyed reading through your blog because of the great style and energy you put into each post. I actually run AceHealth.org, a blog of my personal research and experiences. If you’re interested, I would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Please send me an e-mail: bob.mauer65(at)gmail(dot)com, and I can give you more information. Looking forward to hearing from you.

dragonmamma/naomi — March 24, 2011 at 4:41 am

I haven’t bought any white potatoes for at least a year. (although I did have some lovely french fries at a restaurant a couple of months ago) and sweet potatoes absolutely go great with sweet seasonings like cinnamon and ketchup. (Yep, ketchup tastes sweet to me.)

I’d have to see side-by-side comparisons to see the difference in the photos; I’m not that observant. (Although I DO notice the new kitchenware!)

Jess@HealthyExposures — March 24, 2011 at 4:51 am

I love how crispy-crunchy-carameliz-y it looks like these ‘taters got; yum!! I don’t mind sweet potatoes if it’s balanced out with a little bit of spice or zip (like ginger or curry!). Usually I add a little bit of honey so it can get a little caramelization factor going on anyways, but not enough to overpower. This way looks just right ;)
    My day’s going great! …but it just started so luckily there hasn’t been much of a chance for anything to go too terribly wrong yet :P Hope yours goes well, too :]

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 24, 2011 at 5:27 am

I like my potatoes spicy actually – even my sweet potatoes.

Natasha — March 24, 2011 at 5:37 am

Those potatoes look so good! I read your blog everyday and you have inspired me to start a blog of my own.
    Have a good day! :)

Download OEM software — March 24, 2011 at 5:50 am

and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue

Natasha — March 24, 2011 at 5:57 am

Also, your daughter is adorable! :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — March 24, 2011 at 5:59 am

Those potatoes look great Averie — I like cinnamon/brown sugar on my sweet potatoes but I’ve never tried it on regular potatoes — good idea though!

Now that you mention it, I can tell that some of the photos are much brighter than the others.

My day is going good — workout done, just got into work and I’m looking forward to the day!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) — March 24, 2011 at 6:29 am

I’m all for more sweet on sweet potatoes! :) Never tried it on regular potatoes, but cinnamon sugar makes anything better so why not.

I enjoyed your post on the Adobe software. So many bloggers are posting about photography recently, and it’s really inspired me. My mom is a graphic designer, so perhaps I should get her to teach me a few tricks.

Hope you and Skylar have a lovely day!

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo — March 24, 2011 at 6:48 am

As much as I love sweet potatoes, I’d rather combine savory with sweet rather than sweet with sweet.

Just finishing up some homework before class and then off to a busy day!

I hope you have a wonderful Thursday!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) — March 24, 2011 at 7:13 am

I’ve never made fries sweet. Love this, such a clever idea :D

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — March 24, 2011 at 7:28 am

Those potatoes sound amazin and your pictures are beautiful! I love potato recipes! I have some sweet potatoes in the fridge, I bet they woul taste amaZing with this recipe :)

My day us going good so far! It’s not raining anymore so I’m happy!

Jen — March 24, 2011 at 7:33 am

Excellent recipe. Thanks. I’m having a really busy day too :(

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — March 24, 2011 at 7:36 am

Oo yum! Great idea. I’ve been craving anything ginger lately so I’m definitely going to try this on some sweet taters I have in the kitchen!

Day is going well so far. I’m feeling really inspired (and also tired!). I’m going to acupuncture later and I’m pretty pumped for that!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini — March 24, 2011 at 7:37 am

Now that’s what i call a sweet potato! (haha)

Heidi @ Food Doodles — March 24, 2011 at 7:38 am

Mmm, these ones looks super crispy. Love that :) I like using a little sugar on sweet potatoes, but I’ve never done that on regular potatoes. Looks yummy!

Krista — March 24, 2011 at 7:57 am

These would be like dessert potatoes!!! Yum! Beautiful photo of Skylar…..

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — March 24, 2011 at 8:01 am

Those potato sticks sound great! Almost like a substitute for french toast sticks :-) This recipe would be wonderful with yams too!

Lauren Marie — March 24, 2011 at 8:37 am

Oh my gosh those potatoes sound so good! I think I will make them tomorrow. I love potatoes and I love cinnamon/sugar. Im excited :)

Naomi — March 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

LOVE sweet style potatoes :) yours look FABULOUS! and they got the hubbys approval YES!

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life — March 24, 2011 at 9:38 am

Yum! You are a genius! Those look so good.

Katie — March 24, 2011 at 9:56 am

NOw that is a potato recipe I can get down with! Anything with cinnamon and sugar…I’m game.

I can actually tell, I think, some of the photos that had the exposure altered. The plate looks UBER white!

SEO Tool — March 24, 2011 at 10:15 am

You completed afewfine points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly allpeople will consent with your blog.

Amber K — March 24, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love, love, love potatoes, but I just can’t handle them any way but savory. Sweet potatoes? Blech. Sweet veggies just bug me for some reason. Parsnips and carrots are fine raw, but I have had them roasted and for some reason it’s just too sweet. I can eat a pound of dessert that other people say “oh I can only eat one bite, it’s soooo rich” and my tastebuds don’t understand the concept. And yet, sweet veggies throw me off.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — March 24, 2011 at 11:27 am

Yum! I love the spices you used.. normally I wouldn’t think to use them with white potatoes.. but I’ll bet it’s really good.

I love potatoes. I scored 3 lbs of organic red potatoes for .99 recently from my reduced produce bin.. I love using them in soup the most!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — March 24, 2011 at 11:30 am

J’adore! Sweet twists on savory foods are my fave:)

Emily — March 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm

She’s so cute! And I can’t tell you how good these fries look. Yum!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition — March 24, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I indulged and had Sweet Potato fries this past weekend! I forgot how amazing they can be sometimes

Stephanie — March 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I always add cinnamon to my sweet potato fries! Sometimes I’ll just do cinnamon, others I’ll throw in some curry, celtic sea salt, cracked pepper and nutmeg in too. I <3 cinnamon and sweet potatoes.

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 24, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Yum, these Cinnamon Sugar & Ginger Roasted Potato Sticks sound amazing, awesome job!

1. I’ve done sweet recipes with sweet potatoes, but never the white variety.
    2. Sure, the lighting and contrast seem better.
    3. Well, we’re getting tons of rain and wind gust up to 70 MPH today, so I’m okay with spending it indoors at work!:-)

Mama Kelly aka Jia — March 24, 2011 at 7:12 pm

These look just fabulous. I bet the cinnamon sugar would work on roasted sweet potato wedges equally well.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I prefer savoury flavours to sweet, so I usually don’t make my potatoes sweet.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — March 24, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I just made roasted potatoes, but I didn’t think of adding cinnamon and ginger! what a great idea!

Susan — March 25, 2011 at 8:55 am

I love this! I do cinnamon sugar squash and sweet potato all the time, but it never occurred to me to do it with regular potatoes!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — March 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I usually do say no to potatoes, but man those look awesome!! Think if they are on the menu of the Gerson Therapy for Cancer, then they can’t be all bad! Beautiful photos!