Drinking Water

Well all know that it’s important to stay hydrated, so I was excited when I got these 3 flavored waters to try from Cascade Ice

No calories, and the flavors were nice.  Not overpowering and not “fake” or chemically tasting like some zero calorie drinks can be.

My favorite was the orange mango.  I love mango anything!

I drink plenty of water and 99% of the time it’s just regular tap water.  So these were a nice change of pace.  And I dig the insulated cooler bag they sent the water in.

This will come in handy when the weather warms up for groceries or frozen foods that need to be kept cool.

The water helped me wash down the sticky-fest I munched on: medjool dates with PB and chocolate chips

Remember “ants on a log” (celery sticks with PB and raisins)?  I like these logs better.

I have had a really busy week.  Aren’t they all? But I did make a batch of Raw Vegan Taco Nut “Meat” which takes all of 30 seconds.

For anyone who wants to make a raw vegan “taco salad” that meat lovers will enjoy, try this one.  I would not steer you wrong. I bring this to parties and even die-hard meat-and-potatoes eaters enjoy this recipe.  Feel free to add shredded cheese, sour cream, beans, olives, or anything you’d add to your version of taco salad.
The nut meat is hearty, is raw/vegan/GF, and is not bland or boring.   It has a nice kick, for sure.

From my last post, thanks for the compliments on my hair and I’m glad you enjoyed my hair products reviews.

And as I predicted, blog readers love their chickpeas.  Or garbanzo beans, whatever you want to call them. I’m glad you enjoyed my chickpea recipes and thanks for telling me about your faves.

Dessert: I mentioned above that I love mango.  Especially in Mango Banana Vanilla Softserve.

You can always thin it down with more nut milk/water/ice and even add protein powder if you prefer more of a smoothie instead of softserve.

1. Do you like mangoes?

Yes, I adore them!  I buy TJ’s frozen mango chunks for smoothie/softserve making and fresh mangoes are a splurge for me.

2. How much water do you drink?

95% of what I drink is water.  The other 5% is coffee, homemade kombucha, homemade coconut milk kefir, and every once in awhile, a drink.

But by and large, I drink lots of water but I don’t quantify it in ounces per day.  I’ve read that if your urine is clear and frequent, you’re drinking enough.  And mine is both, so I guess I am doing ok.

3. Do you “force” yourself to drink water or do you drink to thirst?

I am not one of those people who walks around with a gallon jug of water or anything, but when I go out, I never leave the house without my big pink Klean Kanteen jug of water.   I did a post on all our re-usable water bottles.

I would say I do drink to thirst but also sometimes do force myself a bit to drink extra water, just to make sure I am well-hydrated.   Being properly hydrated keeps skin looking better, digestion is better, toxins are flushed easier, thinking is clearer, headaches are prevented, and your body just works better and more efficiently when you’re not in a state of dehydration.  We need water!

They also say that once you start actually feeling thirsty, you are not properly hydrated.  So the key is to drink before that.

There are so many exceptions to the rules though such as exercise and activity levels, personal medical/health circumstances, temperature/climate, sodium intake, food intake (vegetables and fruits do contain lots of water) and so one size doesn’t fit all on the hydration front.

There’s also a point where you can drink too much water.  Rare, but it can happen with devastating consequences.

I would surmise, though, that most people are a bit (or a lot) under-hydrated and the average person probably doesn’t drink enough water.

Talk to me about your water drinking habits!

52 Responses to “Drinking Water”

rebecca lustig — March 4, 2011 at 11:38 am

So, I’m NOT a meat eater and I would LOVE that raw taco salad! I find myself craving a fresh Mexican dish at least 3x a week ha

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) — March 4, 2011 at 11:40 am

I drink a LOT of water!! At first, I did have to force myself, but now I just get really thirsty all the time!! My skin is SO much better now that I drink more!! I don’t really drink anything other than water! Water is the BEST!! :D

Erica — March 4, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hey girl! What fun freebies! I’d love to try the lemonade. I drink TONS of water out of the filter in our fridge. I usually aim for 84+oz a day and it happens pretty naturally! I love your updated version of ants on a log. Also, I’m a huge mango fan. Enjoy your Friday

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 4, 2011 at 11:44 am

I drink about 15 cups of water everyday! It is a habit and nothing refreshes me more. I drink out of the huge hospital cups. Actually Tony and I both do. Oh and I LOVE mangos! YUM!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats — March 4, 2011 at 11:55 am

I drink about 80-100 oz of water a day. The only reason I know that is that my bottle of water at work is 50oz, and I drink a whole one every day, and two big glasses of water in the morning (and I know the glasses hold 15oz of water). I am never as thirsty at night, so I might have another 15oz or so. I don’t really count the ounces though. On weekends I find I don’t necessarily remember to drink as much water during the day, so am working on that.

Erica — March 4, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Even if I give up Raw/Veg life tomorrow the one thing I will be super proud of is my new-found water habits. When I was pregnant with my son I got gestational diabetes…..I quit high sugar sodas then, but it wasn’t enough. I moved down to diets but to be honest, I could still feel the sludge. So when I picked up my new lifestyle book (Crazy Sexy Diet) I picked up the soda and dumped a whole 2 ltr down the drain…and haven’t touched it since!

hippierunner — March 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I drink a ton of water; I am lucky to be someone that enjoys the taste of pure water! I don’t usually drink anything besides that except for maybe almond milk in a smoothie. And I love mangoes so much! I go through the TJ’s bag of frozen so quickly- during the summer my friend and I would buy a bag and split it to keep cool! And I had a fresh perfectly ripe mango yesterday, it made me sooo happy! :) Have a lovely Friday, Averie!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — March 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Yum, I looooove your ants on a log ;)

I mostly drink water, but I wasn’t always that way. At home there was always juice or pop in the house and I always thought water tasted gross. Now that I’ve realized how bad it is to drink juice and pop all the time I drink water all day and I feel so much better. Now juice and pop don’t taste very good, I’d much rather drink water. I have to remind myself to drink once or twice a day or else I get very thirsty in the evening, but most of the time I just drink for thirst and it works good enough for me.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — March 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I would definitely like those logs more than the kind with celery! I HATE celery!!

kate — March 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Love love love mangoes and your chocolatey version of ants on a log!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — March 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm

That water sounds great. I try to drink water constantly throughout the day buy find it to be a bit boring on it’s own..so I always have to flavor it in some way!

I also love putting mangos in smoothies, they make them so creamy!

I always have my jug of water with me, anywhere I go – not because I am forcing myself to drink it but I would rather drink my at home filtered water then buy it when I am out. I rarely drink anything BUT water. Hot lemon water in the morning and water throughout the day. Sometimes I drink almond milk if I am craving milk but otherwise it is just for recipes and smoothies.

Lauren @ Hungry Dancer — March 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm

When it comes to drinking water, I am a fiend!! I drink water all day long!! My coffee consumption comes pretty close though too!!

bitt — March 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I try to drink enough water but sometimes it’s hard in the winter. I do end up drinking a fair amount of herbal tea which I think is pretty hydrating too. Now I’m thirsty. :-)

lauren @ spiced plate — March 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I hardly drink water, unless I’m working out. Otherwise, I drink TONS of tea. Probably 10-12 cups a day (I reuse teabags!)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I don’t like the texture of mangoes. Hubby, however, loves them. I try to drink a minimum of 64 oz of water throughout the day then I drink water while working out and after as well. So I get in a lot…but I workout a lot too. I used to have to force myself. But I can tell, now, when I am not getting enough.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — March 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I love your modified ants on a log!!

Christin@purplebirdblog — March 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I cannot get enough dates stuffed with peanut butter lately!!! I need to add some chocolate chip action like you’ve got going on!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That Cascade Ice looks awesome! I’ll have to look for it. I LOVE water, always have. Probably because I grew up with just about everyone in my family loving it–except my mom, she’s more coffee and tea. Iced cold water is my #1 beverage, though! It tastes really good with chocolate. :)

I like the flavor of mango, but something about the scent of fresh mango smells like burnt wood to me! Maybe I just haven’t had enough of it. I almost bought one the other day, but bought a pineapple instead.

I have to try your raw taco meat, LOVE taco salads. As you’ve seen! hehehe

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 4th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

i suspect your mangoes are sub-par if they smell like burnt wood. lol

they ARE part of the latex family of fruits, i.e. avos, bananas, mangoes, so ppl with allergies to one often have allergies to another, but never heard of them smelling like burnt wood. haha

and taco salad, i thought of you when i posted that recipe!

lindsay — March 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm

oh I love your version of ants on a log! Much better. I drink lots of almond milk, kombucha, and vitamin water. I don’t like real water, sad!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 4th, 2011 at 6:00 pm

been trying to comment on your site and tell you happy 1 year!

but your disqus never loads for me. but i am reading!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — March 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I love the date/peanut butter/chocolate combo! Soooo yummy!

Trader Joes frozen mango is so great… I wish so much that Trader Joes was closer to me.. the closest store is an hour away.. when I go, I take a cooler and always get mango!

Sarah @ OneLoveSarah — March 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I always think I need to drink more H2o. I live in the desert and can’t get enough! And I luv mangoes. They are amazing

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 4, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Sweet swag score, those bags are great to groceries in our summer heat. The date dessert looks wonderful!

1. Yes and I can’t wait for them to be cheaper, I used to score them for free from people’s trees while living in Florida.
    2. A lot, I always have a Klean Kanteen loaded with me and drink plenty at work … and always having to pee. :-)
    3. I just drink a lot out of habit now, not forcing, but it helps keep my breath tolerable and from getting too hot at work when running around.

Ilana — March 4, 2011 at 4:09 pm

We are sooooo the same. Right now I’m eating a medjool stuffed with almond butter and unsweetened chocolate from TJ’s. SO good. Screw making balls in a blender, this is straight to the point.

Just stopping by to say I miss you and hope everything is good! xo

Lauren @chigallauren — March 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm

What kind of sweeteners (if any) do the waters use??

Katie — March 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I’m all about the water! I always have my water bottle with me, and I probably drink 2-3 L a day, but I don’t really keep track. I get a ton of water in my smoothies and other such drink too, and like you, I keep track in other ways. ;)

I’ve had those waters – not too shabby.

Jess — March 4, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Those “logs” definitely look better than the ones with celery!! That water sounds really good and refreshing.. :)

Jess@HealthyExposures — March 4, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I drink LOTS of water. How much I couldn’t tell you exactly but I’m sure I more than meet my quota! I love getting a flavored water every so often to mix it up, too – but agree that they can be hit or miss sometimes!
    The taco “meat” looks awesome – yet another recipe from you that I must try. I need to start eating dinner and dessert like, 5x a day so I can catch up with your recipes :P
    Dates stuffed with PB and chocolate chips? YES, please!! Best snack ever!
    And from your more recent post – congrats on the iPhone – so exciting!! Have fun playing with it tonight. Don’t you love having new gadgets?

lynn @ the actor's diet — March 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm

i never leave home without my water bottles! i have 2 – a giant kleen kanteen that i keep at home b/c it’s heavy and a small sigg i carry everywhere

s — March 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm

i’m notorious for drinking a bazillion glasses of water a day. well, more like 6-7, plus tea and smoothies.

Tabitha — March 4, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I drink TONS of water. On a typical day I drink at least a gallon – people are always teasing me about carrying around my 32oz. water bottle (I make sure to drink at least 4 each day). My kindergarten students have a nickname for my green water bottle (we call him “Gus”). I also drink herbal tea (my reusable hot bev. cup is called Gertie), 12 oz. in the morning, sometimes I’ll have a night cup as well. Aaaaand, I’ll often have a lemon water or something in the morning as well. Water and tea is pretty much all I drink. I haven’t had soda in almost 10 years! But yeah…I drink a lot…and pee a lot!

Susan — March 5, 2011 at 6:02 am

I actually used water to help me quit smoking 5 years ago. Every time I’d get cravings, I’d sip on water. It mimicked the hand motion of bringing a cigarette to my mouth, and the gulping forced me to take deep breaths like you would smoking too. Thing is, I drank TOO much water. Upwards of 30 glasses a day. i ended up losing weight trying to quit because I was too full from water to eat!

Nowadays I have this obsessive habit of always sipping on water. Mostly when I’m sitting at home with nothing to do. And I can’t go anywhere without a water bottle!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 5, 2011 at 8:28 am

Mangoes are awesome! I love their “green” taste.

I always drink water in the morning, with lunch, and with dinner, before bed, and then whenever else throughout the day. I have 1 cup of coffee per day, about 1 glass of juice a week, and wine/beer on the weekends sometimes … other than that, it is water all the way!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli — March 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I sometimes drink for thirst, but most of the time I have to consciously remind myself to drink water! Sad to say, but there are times I can go all day without one drop…and that’s just plain crazy! Usually though, besides my one cup of coffee in the morning, all I drink is water!

I LOVE mangoes…I just hate peeling/chopping them!