Mall Trip & St. Patrick’s Day

I had a little trip to the mall over the weekend.  I went back to my favorite mall.

It’s dangerous that I can be there in five minutes.

I was out of a couple Mac makeup items and needed to replenish.

I picked up some studio fix powder, a new-to-me mineralized loose powder (not sure if I love this yet), and picked up some staples: pink freeze eyeshadow, bootblack liquid eyeliner…

…and lipglass in “Prrr” that I’ve previously professed my love for.

As long as I was already at the mall, I reloaded on a couple of my favorite bodysprays, too.  It would have been a shame to go “all the way there” and not go into B&BW, right?

After my shopping, it was time to think about food.

Like Raw Vegan Cucumber Wraps

With Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing

And after that, my thoughts drifted to a one-pot meal.

Like Curried Ginger and Raisin Lentils

The whole meals is done and ready in about 20 minutes.

Or maybe salsa is where it’s at after some time spent shopping.

Try the Salsa & Bean Cheezy Bake

One roasting pan, easy cleanup, planned leftovers.

Or maybe just skip the meals, and head straight for the No-Bake White Chocolate & Mango Cookie Dough Bites from my last post.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone on both the recipe and my photos.  I am really trying to take prettier pictures and pay attention to the little details so thanks for noticing.

And thanks for letting me know what you’d like to see me put into a future dessert ball or bite.  Great suggestions!

Dessert:  If you’re not into No-Bake White Chocolate and Mango Bites, maybe you could get into No-Bake Creme de Menthe Bars (Vegan, GF).

Feel free to add a couple drops of green food coloring to the white center layer for the spirit of St. Patty’s Day!

1. When was your last trip to the mall?  Or to Target, the grocery store, or any retail store?  What did you buy?

You saw what I bought on my trip to the mall.  Some makeup and body spray.

My last trip to the grocery store.  Well, among lots of fruits and veggies, it also included the mango that I used in the White Chocolate & Mango BitesOh and coffee.  I’d be a horrible shopper if I forgot my coffee.

2. Are you doing anything to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day on March 17?

I will say that no, I am not doing anything special.  I have to work and be a mommy so this year, I won’t be drinking any green beer or anything.  Oh darn.

However, when I used to live in Chicago, they used to dye the Chicago River green and with all the Irish people in Chicago, it was pretty much a weeklong party.  Good memories!

source

Any St. Patty’s Day Plans? Or stories from previous years?

65 Responses to “Mall Trip & St. Patrick’s Day”

CathyK — March 15, 2011 at 3:46 am

that’s hilarious, that green river! i didn’t know they did that…what a fun addition to creating a st patty’s day atmosphere!
    i bet that mall close to you is fabulous. while i grocery shop every day, across the street from my home, i think the last time i hit the MALL was likely xmas! i shop in our neighbourhood, independent/stand-alone stores rather than driving to the mall. now i feel like i need a mall fix, though!
    and yes, you might as well stock up on MAC while you’re at the mall, anyway! :)

The Teenage Taste — March 15, 2011 at 3:50 am

They dye the river green?! That is SO cool. I wish the people in my area did something crazy like that. Instead we just say “Happy St. Patty’s Day” and continue with our lives. Hmph. Pretty boring, eh?
    Have a great week Averie! :-)

Erica — March 15, 2011 at 3:54 am

Great buys! I always end up in B & BW and they are always having a sale- which is nice :). That Curried Ginger and Raisin Lentils looks so tasty. And I am making your veggie bake tomorrow night! I’m super excited. I only go to the outdoor mall here (not a traditional mall). Last time I went was when we found out we were having a little girl and I got her a dress :). I’m not sure whether or not we’re doing anything for St Pattys day. Probably not…

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 15, 2011 at 4:31 am

I don’t go to the mall too often, but when I do – it’s dangerous!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — March 15, 2011 at 4:45 am

Oh my gosh, that river picture- how the heck do they dye it green?! That must take soooooo much money and dye!! Crazy…looks cool though.

I went to the mall yesterday, actually! And bought a gorgeous Shoshanna dress that I love, but my best friend didn’t agree. I’m deciding whether or not to return it- it’s BRIGHT yellow, which can be a hard color to pull off!

dragonmamma/naomi — March 15, 2011 at 4:45 am

I think I’ll eat something naturally green for St. Patty’s day. Cucumber and broccoli sound much more enticing than green beer.

Lauren @chigallauren — March 15, 2011 at 4:48 am

The MAC store is dan-ger-ous!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 15, 2011 at 4:48 am

I wish we had a mall near here. The closest one is a 30 min drive, but in the end that’s probably a good thing. ;) The mango dough bites look fantastic!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — March 15, 2011 at 5:18 am

A strange thing about living in NYC is I that I never go to the mall! It seems so suburban. No plans for St. Patty’s–happily.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 15th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

well i assure you, this mall is not “suburban”. It’s very urban, outdoors, and super cosmopolitan. Anything with a NMarcus, Tiffany, Gucci, Prada, etc is not your normal suburban spread :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 15, 2011 at 5:25 am

My closest mall is about 10 minutes from me. I went there a week and a half ago. Super fast in and out to the Limited though. Hit up Kroger on Sunday for regular groceries. Now I need to hit Target (again). No plans for St. Patrick’s day. There is a member’s opening at the Arts Center so we might do that but we never stay very long and it’s not exactly a celebration.

Rachel — March 15, 2011 at 5:45 am

That B&BW Carried Away scent is sooo GOOD! My last trip was to the grocery store, I got ingredients for granola bars (your recipe) and also for your caribbean chickpea-rice-mango dish! They are both great by the way. I also stocked up on the ususal house items :)

Lina — March 15, 2011 at 6:24 am

I’m so jealous, I miss that mall! My friend used to live in San Diego so I would fly out from jersey for the winter. I loved shopping in an outdoor mall, it’s like my two favorite things in one, fresh air and shopping, what could be better?!? You’re definitely lucky to be living down there, love the weather, the people, everything!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 15th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

yeah i posted just last week that we have made huge!!! sacrifices to live here…not really luck as much as hard work, planning, and sacrifice…but yes, we know how blessed we are to live here. We would do anything (and have!) to be here :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — March 15, 2011 at 6:27 am

Gotta love the mall! How neat that they dye the river green… I never knew that! I’m not a big St. Patrick’s day celebrater either, but it’s fun just to have a holiday in the mix. :)

xxoo
    Heather

rebecca lustig — March 15, 2011 at 6:41 am

I definitely noticed a particular appeal to the pictures (and recipe, obviously) of the mango cookies!

and Neiman’s is very dangerous. haha

Lesley Lifting Life — March 15, 2011 at 6:57 am

Mmm, I especially love the looks of those cucumber wraps, and they’re perfect since spring is so close to getting here : )

Michele Sparrow — March 15, 2011 at 7:08 am

I went to the mall a few days ago and walked away with a lovely blouse from Anthropologie! I also went to the Lucky Store and walked out with a pair of jeans! I didn’t really NEED either of those things, but I had gift cards, so I didn’t feel so badly about spending a little unnecessarily! :-) Anthropologie and Lucky are my favorite stores, but Anthro is dangerous!!

Grocery store shopping yesterday included bagels, fruits, veggies, canned salmon and canned shrimp!

St. Patrick’s Day we will most likely hang out as a family. Which is just fine with me! How fun seeing the green water in your pic! :-) They do that every year?

Peggy — March 15, 2011 at 7:20 am

I totally didn’t know Chicago did that for St. Patty’s Day! It’s the same day as my brother’s birthday so we always end up celebrating that instead!

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition — March 15, 2011 at 7:34 am

It all looks so good! I wish you could come cook at my house!! I saw the river for the first time this year (just moved to Chicago in August) and you are very correct, week long party! Even though it was freezing cold and super windy (standard, as I’m sure you know) there were so many people out covered in crazy green outfits! So much fun!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — March 15, 2011 at 7:42 am

No St. Patty’s day plans just yet….hopefully dressing up in something green and hitting the town….or maybe just wearing my green PJ’s at home and watch a good movie lol

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — March 15, 2011 at 7:44 am

omg the river in chi town looks so cool!!! Um i didnt do a thing for st pattys day..I am so far from irish haha and I worked….and I dont drink SO it was quite a party lol

Love mac concealer its a staple for me! i also love the pot liquid eyeliner but its so hard for me to put on, I usually only do it when I ‘go out’

those mango bites look SO good and fresh and summer ready! I cannot wait for warmer weather!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 15th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

hey girl thanks for saying hi….been having a helluva time getting into your site to comment. Something about intense debate and my ‘puter not getting along but i am reading in stealth :)

Renee — March 15, 2011 at 7:46 am

My father’s family was part of the “Southside Irish”, including a grandfather who worked for the mobster O’Banion (in his legit business), so yes, we celebrate our Irish heritage every year. We too moved south to get away from the weather, so no green river anymore :-)

Amber K — March 15, 2011 at 7:56 am

I had no idea about the green river! What a fun tradition. I have never done anything to celebrate St Patty’s day.

Katie — March 15, 2011 at 8:14 am

I went to the mall on Saturday and it sucked. The mall here is a joke, which is actually a good thing. But then, I went to Old Navy….I got 2 sweaters, 2 nice-ish shirts, and a summer dress. And they sent me a coupon so I have to go back tomorrow to get a couple pairs of nice pants. I need to get ready for my new life as a person with a job. ;)

I haven’t been to the grocery store since Sat. I am pretty sure that’s a record for me!

Becky — March 15, 2011 at 8:32 am

That river is so cool! I’m very Irish, so that looks fun. Unfortunately I have to work on St. Patty’s day, but… gotta pay those bills. I was wondering if you could share what items you find are cheaper ordering online, and where you get them from? I’ve noticed you always get things like Stevia and chia seeds, raw nuts, etc etc. I’ve searched high and low and cannot figure out what would be the best deal! Nowhere around here carries good vegan staple foods, and the nearest Whole Foods is an hour away! It’d be much appreciated :)

Sam (the neurotic yogini) — March 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

I’m so glad you posted a recipe using lentils! I’ve never cooked them before and have 3 bags at home I’m ready to try out!!! :)

This St. Patty’s day I’ll be seeing a free Strokes concert at the park! My boyfriend is doing the lights for the show, so I’ll be in the lightbooth w/ a perfect view!! :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 15th, 2011 at 2:53 pm

go to my roasted veggies and sides tab within recipes

i have recipes for:
      salsa lentils
      sloppy joe lentils
      and ketchup and mustard lover’s protein mash

chrysta — March 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

hey Hey!! there is nothing liek a little retail therapy! I’ll tell ya!I havent been in sssoo long and its not good. Im dying to do a little shoppin and have a fun girly day. Soon for sure! So fun they dye the river green! Ha! when I lived in savannah, GA for awhile they dyed all the fountains and stuff green. Pretty festive! MMmmm….salsa and bean cheesy bake. Love it! Have a great day!!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — March 15, 2011 at 8:55 am

I went to the mall yesterday to look for some new shoes – no luck. Then I went to Target afterward and somehow successfully left without purchasing anything! That never happens!

St. Patrick’s Day is actually the anniversary of our first date — so we usually go to the same bar/restaurant we went to for our first date. Then we’ll go home for homemade shamrock shakes!

Stephanie — March 15, 2011 at 8:56 am

I am usually a “lurker” on your website so I thought I’d jump in and start making some comments :) I really look forward to getting the emails for your posts in my inbox! I appreciate your website and your recipes. I think what I enjoy the most and what draws me to your blog is your honesty about how you do the best you can to be healthy and make smart choices, but you also also have a life….a life that includes working, being a mom and still trying to fit in healthy meals and workouts. You give me hope that I can do it all lol…I just have to find balance :)
    No St. Pattys Day plans for me. Last trip to the store was Sprouts, Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s…all on a Friday night lol. I called it my Friday Night Zen as I was able to go without children and just enjoy myself :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 15th, 2011 at 2:54 pm

thanks for delurking, stephanie, and for the great comment!

yes, i have a life, i keep it real, I do not say i eat only organic or never have sweets. Life is a balance and i dont obsess or sweat the small stuff. Glad you enjoy my style. Please say hi more often!

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 15, 2011 at 9:15 am

Agreed on mall trips, we have a luxo one minutes from my job – dangerous for my lunch breaks. Sweet shopping scores.

1. The mall was two weeks ago, Target yesterday and Trader Joe’s last week – so I desperately need to go again but am seeing if I can wait till my farm box delivery this week and eat up what I have.
    2. I ran a St. Patty’s Day themed half marathon which was pretty crazy with runners in green costumes, face paint and shamrock glasses, masks, etc. That’s about it, hopefully I’ll remember to wear green on the actual day. :-)

Kelly Michelle — March 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

I went to Sports Authority to replace my weight lifting gloves because someone at the gym stole mine. Seriously, of all the things to steal someone wanted my sweaty weight lifting gloves? For all they know I have some kind of crazy hand fungus, ppl are crazy.

kate@ahealthypassion — March 15, 2011 at 9:35 am

I LOVE mac makeup, I avoid the mall at all costs because no matter what I go there for I end up coming home with some lipglass love it! Bath and body works is another weakness, they have the best fragrances.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

I think my days of REALLY celebrating St. Patrick’s Day are over, but Colin and I did go to the parade here on Sunday and I made a bunch of Irish Soda Bread!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — March 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

Pretty much the only store I go to in person is Whole Foods. And that’s only because they won’t deliver!! Can’t stand the mirrors at the mall!! But we don’t have all the cool stuff you guys have on the West Coast. Think if we had hip malls with eco stores and raw food joints, I would be hitting them fairly often :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 15th, 2011 at 2:56 pm

yeah the malls here rock.

and per your other comment, i eat what i make, not all of it, and not all on the same day. moderation :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — March 15, 2011 at 11:23 am

I avoid the mall at all costs because I spend too much! Last time I went grocery shopping I bought the usual but I included a couple of fresh coconuts! It was by far one of the best decisions ever. They’re so tasty when they’re fresh!

Jessica @ How Sweet — March 15, 2011 at 11:45 am

I think your cookie dough ball photos look awesome!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 15th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

thanks girl. Both FG and TS rejected them. I submitted 3 photos to each site, all of them…rejected. I dont get it! But hey, I will just keep trying :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut — March 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I miss my old favorite…Fashion Valley mall, awww memories!

I love dried mangoes but actually have not cooked or baked with it. I usually eat it straight from the package. This mini little bites you created sounds good. I can add coconuts to it and it will taste like the tropics :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm

They died the river green!!!!!!?????????? How did they clean it out after??

I am going to go out with the hubby and some friends for a green beer or two :-) I have a 4 day weekend after St. Patrick’s day!!

Dan@Dentist in Santa Cruz — March 16, 2011 at 11:48 am

Will they ever make it public how they turn the river that color?

Christin@purplebirdblog — March 16, 2011 at 5:10 pm

My last trip to the store was to Target right before I started at my new job to get a new insulated lunch box and some of those inserts that you freeze and pack with your lunch to keep everything cold, along with some deodorant and razors. Woohoo! :)

Sonny Disano — March 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I simply want to tell you that I am just beginner to blogging and truly liked this page. More than likely I’m want to bookmark your blog post . You surely have really good articles and reviews. With thanks for sharing your blog site.

Emer — March 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Oh wow. I’m definitely going to try those creme de menthe bars. Nice idea for the green colouring for Patricks Day. Wish I had found this on time ;-) Beautiful photos. Loving your blog, Averie.

Krista — March 20, 2011 at 7:09 am

After buying new livingroom furniture 2 weeks ago we decided that we really needed a proper diningroom set so we went out and bought one yesterday. That’s the last bit of shopping I did!