Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing

I wanted to create a simple, fast, easy springtime “pasta” salad that was both filling yet light.

If the warmer weather has you craving lighter meals that are plant-based rather than heavier carby meals or gluten-based pasta, this meal should do the trick.

This meal came together in 5 minutes.  It was the photographs and blogging about it that took much longer.

[print_this]

Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing

For the Salad:

1 zucchini, spiralized

1/2 c mixed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, green beans, cucumber slices, radishes, tomatoes, peapods, bell peppers, whatever you have on hand)

Optional: 1/2 c protein (edamame, diced tofu, garbanzo/white/navy/cannelloni beans, quinoa, etc.)

For the Dressing:

1/4 c mayo (regular, soy, Vegenaise, etc.)

2 – 3 tbsp honey (to keep vegan, use maple syrup, agave, brown rice syrup)

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp EVOO

1 tsp basil (fresh or dried)

1/2 tsp dill

1/2 tsp fresh-ground pepper, or to taste

pinch salt, optional

Stir to combine

Directions:

Spiralize the zucchini.  (Spiralizer info, what I have and use, and where to buy one is here)

Add the diced vegetables and protein.

Coat and toss with dressing.   Doing this 15-20 minutes prior to eating will allow the dressing to soften the noodles and give them a more cooked taste and texture.  Or simply mircowave the entire plate of food for 30 seconds if you want a “hot meal”.

Yields: 2 healthy sized plates of food, or 3 more medium sized plates

[/print_this]

Gather your ingredients and spiralize the zucchini.

Make the Dressing

Plate the raw pasta, veggies, and protein…

Add the dressing and toss

For anyone who’s not familiar with zucchini-based pasta, I find it to be very neutral tasting, as zucchinis tend to be for me. It’s the sauce and seasonings that change the flavor.

For instance, my Raw Zucchini Pasta & Raw Marinara Sauce

…is very different from my Raw Zucchini Pasta & Peanut Sauce

…Which is very different from today’s Raw Zucchini Pasta & Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing.

I’m telling you, it’s all in the sauce.

The flavors of the dill and basil in this sauce, combined with the tartness of the lemon, and balanced with the sweetness from the honey were wonderful.   The creaminess imparted from the mayo and olive oil were a treat in my mouth.   And in Scott and Skylar’s too. The recipe and dressing got rave reviews from all, including a 4 year old.  Success!

And with the right sauce or dressing, no one will miss gluten-based pasta.  Or even cooked pasta.

And if they happen to be whining or skeptical about eating raw zucchini in place of real pasta, just nuke their plate of food for 45 seconds.  I used to do this for Scott, but now, he happily enjoys it raw.  If you’re lucky enough to have a dehydrator, you could also warm the plate of food in it.  However, in the spring and warmer weather, I especially love salads of all kinds and wouldn’t warm them.

From my last post about the Drool-worthy recipes I’ve seen around the sphere the past week or so, I am glad you enjoyed my roundup.

And thank you to everyone who chimed in about creating masterpieces in the kitchen.  I will admit, sometimes I feel that my recipes are a little Plain Jane compared to some that I see around the blogosphere, but as I mentioned in the post, not everyone has the time, energy, or desire to create “masterpieces”.

And many of you commented that you read my blog because you love my simple, easy, straight-forward recipes; many of which use the microwave, are no-bake, or one-pot meals.  Thank you, so much. I really needed that vote of confidence and that simple is good for you, too.

Also, many thanks to new readers and commenters.  Thank you for finding my blog and I hope you stick around.   Of course, thanks to everyone who reads; new or old readers, lurkers or commenters.

Dessert: Sticking with a raw vegan theme today, Raw Vegan Chocolate Macaroons

Feel free to bake them in the oven, too.

Or just eat the raw “dough” right from the bowl.  I won’t tell.

1. Do you have a spiralizer?  Do you want one?

If you don’t have a spiralizer, I would suggest using a vegetable peeler and just making zucchini ribbons rather than classic “noodles”.

So please, don’t write saying you’d “love to make this but you don’t have a spiralizer”.  Using a 99 cent peeler will work just fine!

2. Have you ever had raw “pasta” such as zucchini noodles, cucumber ribbon noodles, or even raw squash-based noodles?  Thoughts?

I linked a couple other raw pasta recipes in the post and raw cucumber wraps are fun, too.

Even if the gluten factor wasn’t a consideration for me, I just never was into cooked pasta.   Just not my thing, ever.   So that is not something I miss or want.   Using vegetables as my noodles or as the “wrap” or “bread” is way more  my speed anyway.  Plus, you’re getting in extra servings of veggies and omitting servings of carby breads or pasta.  A win-win in my book.
Today’s recipe happens to be raw and vegan, but to me, that is not the primary appeal.  The primary appeal is that it’s tasty, satisfying yet light, and took me 5 minutes to make!

3. Anything fun or exciting happen for you this week?

It did for me!  And with that, I’ll leave you hanging…

107 Responses to “Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing”

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — March 10, 2011 at 1:00 pm

this recipe looks wonderful! I’ll definitely be trying it out soon since I’m eating raw for lent!

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Your zucchini noodles look great, I’m looking forward to monster zucchini this summer for spiralizing. I’m a huge dill fan and love dill-based dressings, such a spring/summer flavor for me.

1. Yes, the same one you have and I’ve been thinking about adding another variety to my collection.
    2. Yes, butternut noodles are also excellent with a little sage oil.
    3. Not yet, just busy with work and trying not to stress about the half-marathon this weekend, the weather or the possibility that I’m coming down with a cold.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm

OMG, the spiralized pasta looks amazing!! The pictures are lovely, I hope you submit them to Foodgawker and such! :) The first one is fabulous.

I just got my spiralizer last month but haven’t used it yet! Zucchini hasn’t been popping out at me in the store, ya know? Winter in NY, I guess. :lol: I can’t wait to use it, I’ve been wanting to for a long time.

Suggestion: You should make a spiralized or raw recipes page! I’d be stalking it. :) LMK, I can add ‘em. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 10th, 2011 at 6:58 pm

yeah just what i need is another tab/section…lol.

I really don’t have that many, just a handful, most of which I linked in this post.

thanks for the picture love. I submitted them to FGawker and TSpotting but got denied on FG so re-subbed and still waiting on TS. I saw your salad on TS. Seriously, I don’t know what they are looking for…I think mine are good enough, but clearly, not.

BTW, do you use any photo editing software?

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — March 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I would love a spiralizer- I think it makes the zucchini look so pretty :)

Angie — March 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I wish I had a spiralizer!! I would love to make this!

Kristina @ spabettie — March 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm

wow, Averie, this sounds AMAZINGLY tasty! you photos are fabulous – you should submit to foodgawker! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 10th, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I am assuming you have pics that have made it on those. I have one. I can’t seem to nail what they are looking for.

BTW, do you use any photo editing software?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm

The presentation of that pasta dish is absolutely gorgeous! I think I have a spiralizer hidden in a cupboard somewhere that I have never used before!

Christin@purplebirdblog — March 10, 2011 at 5:08 pm

You were the major inspiration for me getting my spiralizer back in the day, and I still use and love it!! Zucchini pasta is just FUN to me… as are sweet potato “noodles”… good stuff! :)

Lisa — March 10, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Yep, have a spiralizer and love it!
    My fave is with pesto. Or raw marinara. Or cashew alfredo….it’s just good all around!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — March 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm

darn if only i’d read this a bit earlier! I just made a simpler pasta salad. you could also use spaghetti squash! It’s my favorite pasta alternative :)

nicole — March 10, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I really enjoy reading your blog. Do you have ideas for frugal menu planning? I am a mom to three on a very tight budget. Unfortunately boxed processed meals like mac n cheese have been marketed dirt cheap, while the cost of produce goes up everywhere. I refuse to feed my kids junk, but end up serving the same economical meals over and over. And over. Thanks!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — March 13, 2011 at 11:41 am

I just love the veggie pasta. It truly shows how incredibly simple a raw meal can be and it looks quite elegant. Also, because it contains so much water, it is pretty filling! Most of the year zucchini are pretty inexpensive also, and probably year ’round where you live!

Ward Karapetyan — March 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I just want to say I am just all new to blogging and site-building and truly enjoyed you’re web page. Most likely I’m going to bookmark your site . You definitely have tremendous articles and reviews. Regards for revealing your webpage.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 18, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Your faux pasta dish looks amazing! I want a zucchini twirler, that is just so cool! I wonder if my apple peeler would work? The dressing sounds wonderful!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 18th, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Yes it would..use the apple peeler if you don’t have a spiralizer! Or just slice it super fine but the peeler is easier/faster!

vita @ Juicer Depot — April 27, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I love that spiral slicer. When I first looked at the picture I thought it was pasta noodles. I have to buy me one for sure.