Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing

I wanted to create a simple, fast, easy springtime “pasta” salad that was both filling yet light.

If the warmer weather has you craving lighter meals that are plant-based rather than heavier carby meals or gluten-based pasta, this meal should do the trick.

This meal came together in 5 minutes.  It was the photographs and blogging about it that took much longer.

[print_this]

Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing

For the Salad:

1 zucchini, spiralized

1/2 c mixed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, green beans, cucumber slices, radishes, tomatoes, peapods, bell peppers, whatever you have on hand)

Optional: 1/2 c protein (edamame, diced tofu, garbanzo/white/navy/cannelloni beans, quinoa, etc.)

For the Dressing:

1/4 c mayo (regular, soy, Vegenaise, etc.)

2 – 3 tbsp honey (to keep vegan, use maple syrup, agave, brown rice syrup)

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp EVOO

1 tsp basil (fresh or dried)

1/2 tsp dill

1/2 tsp fresh-ground pepper, or to taste

pinch salt, optional

Stir to combine

Directions:

Spiralize the zucchini.  (Spiralizer info, what I have and use, and where to buy one is here)

Add the diced vegetables and protein.

Coat and toss with dressing.   Doing this 15-20 minutes prior to eating will allow the dressing to soften the noodles and give them a more cooked taste and texture.  Or simply mircowave the entire plate of food for 30 seconds if you want a “hot meal”.

Yields: 2 healthy sized plates of food, or 3 more medium sized plates

[/print_this]

Gather your ingredients and spiralize the zucchini.

Make the Dressing

Plate the raw pasta, veggies, and protein…

Add the dressing and toss

For anyone who’s not familiar with zucchini-based pasta, I find it to be very neutral tasting, as zucchinis tend to be for me. It’s the sauce and seasonings that change the flavor.

For instance, my Raw Zucchini Pasta & Raw Marinara Sauce

…is very different from my Raw Zucchini Pasta & Peanut Sauce

…Which is very different from today’s Raw Zucchini Pasta & Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing.

I’m telling you, it’s all in the sauce.

The flavors of the dill and basil in this sauce, combined with the tartness of the lemon, and balanced with the sweetness from the honey were wonderful.   The creaminess imparted from the mayo and olive oil were a treat in my mouth.   And in Scott and Skylar’s too. The recipe and dressing got rave reviews from all, including a 4 year old.  Success!

And with the right sauce or dressing, no one will miss gluten-based pasta.  Or even cooked pasta.

And if they happen to be whining or skeptical about eating raw zucchini in place of real pasta, just nuke their plate of food for 45 seconds.  I used to do this for Scott, but now, he happily enjoys it raw.  If you’re lucky enough to have a dehydrator, you could also warm the plate of food in it.  However, in the spring and warmer weather, I especially love salads of all kinds and wouldn’t warm them.

From my last post about the Drool-worthy recipes I’ve seen around the sphere the past week or so, I am glad you enjoyed my roundup.

And thank you to everyone who chimed in about creating masterpieces in the kitchen.  I will admit, sometimes I feel that my recipes are a little Plain Jane compared to some that I see around the blogosphere, but as I mentioned in the post, not everyone has the time, energy, or desire to create “masterpieces”.

And many of you commented that you read my blog because you love my simple, easy, straight-forward recipes; many of which use the microwave, are no-bake, or one-pot meals.  Thank you, so much. I really needed that vote of confidence and that simple is good for you, too.

Also, many thanks to new readers and commenters.  Thank you for finding my blog and I hope you stick around.   Of course, thanks to everyone who reads; new or old readers, lurkers or commenters.

Dessert: Sticking with a raw vegan theme today, Raw Vegan Chocolate Macaroons

Feel free to bake them in the oven, too.

Or just eat the raw “dough” right from the bowl.  I won’t tell.

1. Do you have a spiralizer?  Do you want one?

If you don’t have a spiralizer, I would suggest using a vegetable peeler and just making zucchini ribbons rather than classic “noodles”.

So please, don’t write saying you’d “love to make this but you don’t have a spiralizer”.  Using a 99 cent peeler will work just fine!

2. Have you ever had raw “pasta” such as zucchini noodles, cucumber ribbon noodles, or even raw squash-based noodles?  Thoughts?

I linked a couple other raw pasta recipes in the post and raw cucumber wraps are fun, too.

Even if the gluten factor wasn’t a consideration for me, I just never was into cooked pasta.   Just not my thing, ever.   So that is not something I miss or want.   Using vegetables as my noodles or as the “wrap” or “bread” is way more  my speed anyway.  Plus, you’re getting in extra servings of veggies and omitting servings of carby breads or pasta.  A win-win in my book.
Today’s recipe happens to be raw and vegan, but to me, that is not the primary appeal.  The primary appeal is that it’s tasty, satisfying yet light, and took me 5 minutes to make!

3. Anything fun or exciting happen for you this week?

It did for me!  And with that, I’ll leave you hanging…

109 Responses to “Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing”

VeggieGirl — March 10, 2011 at 3:25 am

1.) Yes!

2.) Yes!

3.) Dancing, shopping, dining out, and seeing a movie.

Can’t wait to find out your exciting thing for the week! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet — March 10, 2011 at 3:32 am

Beautiful pictures!

Laura@keepinghealthygettingstylish — March 10, 2011 at 3:44 am

Great recipe! I bought a spiraliser a few months ago after seeing it here on your blog and its been one of the best buys I’ve made. I love using veggie noodles in all sorts of dishes. Will be giving this one a try!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — March 10, 2011 at 4:01 am

Uhhhh yum!! I need a spiralizer! What do you use it for besides making zucchini pasta? I am curious because if I get one I want to be able to make LOTS of things:)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 10th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

you can spiralize just about any root veggie out there…like potatoes, turnips, etc. I just like zukes the best though.

Jess@HealthyExposures — March 10, 2011 at 4:21 am

I was going to say that now I need a spiralizer, but I love the idea of using a veggie peeler instead! I’ve never had zucchini pasta, but based on how you describe it I imagine it to be like spaghetti squash. Doesn’t taste like much alone, just depends on how you dress it! Of course, I didn’t have that raw :P
    And yes, lots of exciting things going on for me this week! It’s been a good one so far :) Glad to hear yours is, too – can’t wait to hear if you share!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — March 10, 2011 at 4:26 am

Thank you for actually REMINDING me that I have a spiralizer!! I got it about a year ago and have only used it a handful of times. I love zucchini noodles though, so I should probably break it out again!!

Fun or exciting? SPRING BREAK. And when I get back I will only have 8 weeks left of this godforsaken major. Woooo!!!!

lindsay — March 10, 2011 at 4:31 am

so when is this raw GF cookbook coming out of yours?! looks amazing!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 10, 2011 at 4:32 am

I don’t have a spiralizer, but I want one. I used one when I worked in catering and loved it, but have never bought one for myself. This looks perfect. If only it was warm here! I am so ready for some sun!

I’m excited because we have a blogger meet up on Saturday! I am so looking forward to seeing them again…it has been too long!

dragonmamma/naomi — March 10, 2011 at 4:34 am

I want a spiralizer, but I can’t justify buying yet another kitchen gizmo UNLESS…I find it ultra-cheap at a thrift-store. Can’t believe I haven’t found one yet!

I love to roast thick slices of zucchini and top them with spaghetti sauce, a bit of cheese, mushrooms and pepperoni. I call it “squizza”. (Combo of squash and pizza.)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 10th, 2011 at 12:15 pm

that sounds so good and creative: “roast thick slices of zucchini and top them with spaghetti sauce, a bit of cheese, mushrooms and pepperoni”

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 10, 2011 at 4:40 am

I haven’t used my spiralizer all winter!! This post makes me want to break it back out!

lauren @ spiced plate — March 10, 2011 at 4:43 am

I don’t have a spiralizer, but now I want one! I can’t get over that those photos include NO pasta, just zucchini — it looks so much like sphagetti, the gluten intollerant Italian in me is craving it now. Do you deliver? haha

Katie — March 10, 2011 at 5:14 am

I absolutely LOVE the pictures of your “Masterpiece”! Looks beautiful and yummy… I have some zucchini in my fridge I was planning on roasting… I think I will make this instead. Thanks for the inspiration. Have a great day!

Alicia @ AliGirl Cooks — March 10, 2011 at 5:20 am

Your pictures are gorgeous! I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate veggies into my diet and this is perfect!

Gina — March 10, 2011 at 5:28 am

I want a Spiralizer sooo badly! Zucchini noodles are delish!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — March 10, 2011 at 5:29 am

That really does look like pasta! Sounds like a nice Summery meal!

Joy — March 10, 2011 at 5:32 am

I think that many of your recipes are drool worthy (this one included) and the fact that they are so easy is why I have actually made a couple of your recipes but none of any of the others (oh scratch that I made Melissa (@trying to heal) cookies too)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 10, 2011 at 5:33 am

That looks absolutely fantastic to me. I am so craving fresh vegetables right now. Maybe it’s because I’m craving warm weather too. I really never thought I’d want a spiralizer until I tried making raw pasta and using the mandolin. Now I want a spiralizer.

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) — March 10, 2011 at 5:33 am

That “pasta” looks amazing; I definitely need to get a spiralizer ASAP! Your recipes are great, and are some of the only ones I make on a consistent basis because they’re easy, so delicious, and vegan. Thanks so much for making them! :)

Lauren @ChiGalLauren — March 10, 2011 at 5:51 am

I think your post just convinced me to go ahead and buy the spiralizer I’ve been eyeing on Amazon!

MzSlyde — March 10, 2011 at 6:02 am

I don’t have a spiralizer – Wishing I did about now – But do have a peeler. Whew it might just save the day. I really want to make this recipe. I think it sounds wonderful.
    I am getting spring fever and cannot wait for fresh fruits and veggies out of my garden. I will be able to make this recipe using all the veggies from the garden. That would be awesome. I have been wanting to gather some recipes using zucchini – I had a lot of zucchini last year from my garden that went to waste.
    I have had a vegan lasagna that zucchini and eggplant was used as the noodles and just love that dish. It is so refreshing. Tofu was used with the organic sauce as the cheese and I didn’t even miss the cheese. AWESOME.
    Have a wonderful day.

SIMI — March 10, 2011 at 6:42 am

I want to make the macaroons!! If I bake them, how long and what temp should I bake them at? Thanks ! :)
    simi
    xoxo

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 10th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Until they seem done :)

I don’t know, like 375F for 10-12 mins and check them and go from there. That would be a good start…

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — March 10, 2011 at 6:45 am

The “pasta” dish looks fabulous!

I recently bought a spiralizer but I have made “ribbons” like you described — and yes they work just fine as “noodles”. And I like spaghetti squash, but I’ve never had it raw — or are you asking about a different type of raw squash noodle?

Anything exciting this week for me? Not really, but I want to know what you’re so excited about!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 10th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

It wasn’t a deep question or anything :) haha!

There are so many summer squashes that we have in CA I just wondered if anyone had tried any “exotic” squashes spiralized.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — March 10, 2011 at 6:51 am

Gorgeous-looking recipe! Wowie.

kate@ahealthypassion — March 10, 2011 at 6:55 am

YUM this pasta looks incredible I have everything on hand so i’ll definitely be making it for lunch! Where did you find the reduced fat flax veganaise I use the grapeseed oil one but would love to try the flax .

Katie — March 10, 2011 at 6:57 am

I use my spiralizer way more often in the summer, but I definitely do the warm it in the microwave trick too. It does make the noodles more soggy though, more noodley for those who are into that sort of thing.

This weekend I am going to sort through teaching activities and files from a total of about 15 years. That is going to take a LONG time.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman — March 10, 2011 at 7:02 am

That sounds great! I’ve only eaten zucchini ribbons (no spiralizer for me) and instead of raw I boiled them quickly and served with pasta sauce. So good!

I have a spiralizer and can’t wait to make this!!!!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats — March 10, 2011 at 7:18 am

Gorgeous photos! And I love this pasta recipe. I just bought a spiralizer recently and cannot wait for zucchini season this summer!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — March 10, 2011 at 7:18 am

This meal looks amazing! I’ve definitely got to try it.

Amber K — March 10, 2011 at 8:05 am

I was raised on a lot of pasta-based dishes and I LOVE it. I switched to quinoa pasta since going gluten-free. I have made salads like that before, but they were always “salads” in my mind and not “pasta” dishes. I don’t have a spiralizer, but that is so cool looking! I do have a vegetable peeler, so I can definitely try it.

CathyK — March 10, 2011 at 8:06 am

i would love a spirulizer!
    way to keep us hanging, averie! please spill the beans soon! :)

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy — March 10, 2011 at 8:07 am

Okay, that’s it. I must order a spiralizer! This looks so fresh and delicious! :)

Kat — March 10, 2011 at 8:09 am

I <3 veggie pasta! I agree that it's all in the sauce – so many variations and sooo tasty! sometimes I make fresh rolls with zuke noodles & veg – even my meat-eating hubby says they are as good as his mom's! (and she's vietnamese, so I know it's a *real* winner of a dish!)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA — March 10, 2011 at 8:13 am

What beautiful pictures!

I love zucchini pasta, especially with pesto. I don’t miss wheat pasta one bit!

Sam (the neurotic yogini) — March 10, 2011 at 8:17 am

all i can say is YUM!

… and i need a spiralizer.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin — March 10, 2011 at 8:26 am

This really makes me want a spiralizer!! The dish looks beautiful.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — March 10, 2011 at 8:57 am

Wow! Your pictures are improving so much! The salad/pasta looks awesome :) I don’t have a sterilizer but I’ve love one. But I have used my peeler before. It’s just not as cute, I don’t think :D Nothing amazing has happened to me so far this week. Just home sick with sick kids. Glad to hear something good is happening to you… You’re not going to leave us hanging forever right?

Nicole@ Fresh & Fit — March 10, 2011 at 9:00 am

Hi,
    I found your blog a few days ago and love the recipes! I want all that for dinner tonight, the raw pasta, the macaroons, all of it!

zoe (and the beatles) — March 10, 2011 at 9:23 am

plain jane?! never! i live for simple, quick, and wholesome recipes. yours always intrigue me :)

1) love my spiralizer! though i wish mine would make noodles like yours. i might have to get another one because of it. the noodles are such awkward shapes!
    2) love zucchini pasta! or any veggie pasta, really :)!

wedding party — March 10, 2011 at 9:33 am

I discovered your blog site on google and checked out a few of your earlier posts. Continue to keep up the work. I just added your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. looking forward to reading more from you later on!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — March 10, 2011 at 9:58 am

That looks great! Your photos are beautiful too

dawn — March 10, 2011 at 10:27 am

Gorgeous food photos!
    Can you tell me what the tool is for spiralizing the zucchini…and where I can get one? That dish looks so fresh and good…dying to try it!
    Your microwave banana oat cakes have become a frequent snack in our household. Thank you so much for sharing that recipe!

• dawn replied: — March 10th, 2011 at 10:38 am

So sorry! Just read the entire recipe and found the spiralizer info! Will be ordering one today! :)

janetha @ meals and moves — March 10, 2011 at 10:49 am

Wow, I haven’t viewed your blog in a web browser in awhile. I love the header!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 10th, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I’ve had the header up for 2.5 months now so I’m glad you saw it and like it! I know you read via email and no need to view via browser. Smart lady :)

And I just saw your coffee pics on Ashley’s photography recap post. Loved seeing your shots.

mi-an dela cruz — March 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

haha i was gonna write love this but i don’t have a spiralizer! ok i will use my peeler then!! looks so fresh and yummy!!

Nikki — March 10, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Hi Averie! Yes I have a spiralizer and I like to use it for cold salads. My favorite type of raw pasta is really thin sliced zucchini with cashew alfredo. Fun this week? Mostly nerding out over food and catching up on some blog-reading :)

Emily — March 10, 2011 at 12:22 pm

oh gol, I’m totally jealous of your spiralizer! It’s on my wishlist, but I haven’t made the purchase…yet! Nothing too exciting, but I did have a marshmallow war with my youth group last night–definitely fun!

Jen — March 10, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Holy crap, you are amazing!!!!!! This looks like a perfect Spring/Summer meal!

Rachel — March 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I have had spaghetti squash as a pasta but would love to try spiraled zucchini. Eating so clean like you must make you feel great on the inside (I mean no bloating, pain etc). Any tips on how to achieve this while living a busy life? You are a great example of health.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — March 10, 2011 at 12:40 pm

So far i’ve only used my spiralizer for sweet and regular potatoes and squash. I need to try it out on a zucchini!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — March 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I really want to get a spiralizer! It’s on my list. Thanks for the reminder. This raw pasta salad looks delicious!