Sandwiches & ‘Shrooms

I received this bread from Nature’s Pride as part of the Food Buzz Featured Publishers program

And I have been making Scott and Skylar sandwiches with it.

A sandwich just isn’t a sandwich without the tasty zip of Miracle Whip Vegenaise and Mustard.  I waited 10 years to find that mustard again!  Well worth the wait. It’s also packaged under different private labels and brands.

Since I wasn’t dining on traditional bread sandwiches over the weekend, I did eat a couple of these  peanut butter “sandwiches”

Who needs Gluten-containing bread when you’ve got zucchini?

And I made an impulse purchase at the grocery store for shitake mushrooms.

I am not normally an impulse buyer, but I am glad I did yesterday because these are so good!

I know there are countless ways to marinate them with olive oil, vinegar, spices, lemon juice and keep them raw or raw-ish but turn them into more of a seasoned and flavored “meaty” alternative.  And of course, you can sautee or cook them.  But I actually just sprinkled them on my salad as is.

And ate a few handfuls raw and plain. I love the chewy texture.  I guess I am good to go on plant-based iron, fiber, and selenium now, too.

There were also some new dessert bites I made that I ate.  Recipe to be posted soon.

Don’t get me wrong, I am still loving the No Bake White Chocolate & Mango Cookie Dough Bites, but I made something similar, but different.  And they rock.

From my last post on It’s Good to Have Friends, thanks for telling me about your friends and friendships and how much value you place on them.  It was fun to read about your priorities when it comes to friends, and how that is balanced with where you’re at in your current stage of life.

And I am so glad many of you have made amazing friends via the internet and blogosphere, too.  Three cheers to blogs and the internet bringing us all joy far beyond the food or healthy living tips, which can get a little redundant anyway. Glad we’ve all made some amazing. friends in the process.

Breakfast/Snack/Dessert: Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cake (Vegan, GF)

5 minutes and it’s ready!

1. Best thing you’ve eaten or done so far this weekend?

Yesterday I went on a nearly 4 mile run, which for me is a “long run” now.  I used to run 5 miles (or more) every day, for about 15 years, and used to run tons of races.  But running too much can be hard on my joints so now it’s more about yoga, walking, shorter running distances.  However, yesterday the weather was great, my run was flowing nicely, and I just kept running.  Today the weather turned nasty, windy, and cold.  Boo.

2. Do you like bread?

I think everyone likes bread!  However, it’s not something I miss being gluten-free.  (Trace gluten enters my world, but I would never sit down and just feast on bread)

And if someone offered me warm, hearty, multigrain, homemade fresh bread, I would have a hard time saying no.  Who wouldn’t!

3. Do you like mushrooms?

This is a love ‘em or hate ‘em food, I’m pretty sure.

My mother hates mushrooms so growing up, I was never exposed to them and assumed I hated them too.  Wrong!  I actually love the chewy and dense factor to them.  I don’t eat them all that frequently, but I love grilled portobellos or shitakes.

I am not a fan of mushrooms in recipes.  Like I wouldn’t really be keen on mushrooms in soup or in sauces or spreads.  And definitely not canned or salty mushrooms.  Must be fresh ‘shrooms.

I prefer them whole and alone or as the star ingredient of a dish, like a grilled portobello, if that makes sense.

Which is the opposite of me and bananas.  I like bananas in recipes, and am not so fond of them on their own and alone.  I have a whole post on Recipes Using Bananas (like the blueberry banana oat cake above).  I love cooking with bananas, though.

But we were talking about mushrooms.  Do you like them?

Have a great Sunday and I’ll be back later with a great no-bake dessert recipe!

43 Responses to “Sandwiches & ‘Shrooms”

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) — March 20, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I LOVE mushrooms so much!! Stuffed mushrooms are a fave! :D

And I have your banana oat cakes on a pretty much daily basis by the way!! They are the BEST!! :D

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — March 20, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I love mushrooms! I love making portobello burgers out of them.

Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) — March 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I love mushrooms. They are by far my favourite veggie. I’m actually pretty obsessed.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — March 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I love getting creative with alternatives to bread for sandwiches, like lettuce wraps! i like the idea of zucchini, too!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking — March 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm

We love mushrooms! Stuffed is one of our favorite ways to have them.

Mindy — March 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I’ve never thought of using zucchini as bread – interesting! I just bought some vegenaise in my attempt to reduce eggs and dairy and try to be vegan. I hope I like it as much as I used to like mayo!

radioactivegan — March 20, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Canned mushrooms are the worst! But I love all fresh (and occasionally dried) mushrooms.

lynn @ the actor's diet — March 20, 2011 at 12:48 pm

i love shrooms. i know so many people who hate them.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — March 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’ve lessened up on the gluten as well, and don’t tend to buy bread on any sort of regular basis anymore. However, I do fully enjoy a slice now and then! Definitely a mushroom fan on occasion as well. There are awesome on salads and in stir fries!

I must say, that Blueberry Banana Oat Cake is so tempting right now! :)

Jess@HealthyExposures — March 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

My mom sometimes buys that brand of bread, but I’ve yet to try it. It looks good, though! I see myself trying it this summer when I won’t be turning on the oven so much. Or at all ;) I also love how reasonably priced they are for actually having good ingredients, too. “My” grocery store has BOGO sales on it all the time, it seems like!
    I definitely do love good bread. I tend to go through phases with it, though. Oh, yeah; just like with everything in my life, lol.
    And mushrooms, too! Love those ;) I have never tried anything “fun,” though. Just the usual portobello or white button. There’s a big price jump if I want any other kind and I’m afraid I won’t be able to notice a difference!
    I’m glad you were able to squeeze in a great run! Hopefully the sunshine is back for you tomorrow :]

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 20, 2011 at 1:07 pm

God, yes, I LOVE bread!! I could live on it. So if I go gluten-free, I already have plans to replace it, LOL.

I love mushrooms, too! I actually prefer them raw lately. They are little sponges, so they always soak up too much oil and other stuff, but I really dig the raw texture. I bought oyster mushrooms for the first time the other day. I should probably eat them before they spoil!

Debra — March 20, 2011 at 1:11 pm

We love shrooms!! I love to fill them with pesto or guacamole..

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Love your comment back to me from the last post! Thanks Averie and yeah, we are definitely living parallel lives! I love mushrooms! Raw or cooked…I lovem’! I just made banana cream pie pavlovas which knocked mine and the boys socks off! We have cleaned and worked all weekend. I thought we would have better weather today, but it is cold and overcast. Oh well, at least I played in the kitchen for a little while. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Erica — March 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm

LOVE bread- especially good crusty bread!! I’m an end girl all the way. I do like your little veggie sandwiches though- thats totally my style. I wish I enjoyed mushrooms…I just can’t do the smell or the taste. Best thing I did this weekend? Hung in with Josh & Frank Friday night. Best thing I ate? Squash noodle less lasagna made at home Fri night!

Sable — March 20, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I loooove raw mushrooms! YUM!

I actually love Ezekiel bread now. Three years ago when I started eating it I HATED it…but it’s so much thicker and heartier than other breads that there’s no going back for me now!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — March 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I miss gluten bread!

Katie — March 20, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I eat mushrooms every day. In salad there is nothing better. I really love using them as dip for salsa, hummus, mustard, whathaveyou. Those little 8 ounce packages? They last about a day.

I like them in stir fries and recipes too, but NEVER canned. My neighbor brought me a huge bag of chantrelles last spring that he foraged himself. I fell in love. (With the mushrooms, not him.)

April — March 20, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I did a 6 miler this morning. I felt great after.

I do like bread. I’ve lived so long without though. I do get Julian Bakery bread and it’s like comfort food mmmm….gotta stop it soon because it’s blowing me up!

NO SHROOMS!! My mom loves them. Even in frozen veggie bags I pick them out LOL!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — March 20, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I love mushrooms, but I am VERY picky about them. They have to be totally fresh… I will rarely eat them in a restaurant because I can tell they aren’t that fresh most of the time.. iiiiikkk.. I can’t stand them when they get that certain smell to them..

but a fresh shitake is one of my favorite things ever!

lauren @ spiced plate — March 20, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I don’t like mushrooms — I LOVE mushrooms! I snack on button mushrooms, and have portobello mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, and trumpet mushrooms in my fridge right now. It’s an addiction.

I totally understand about the no-gluten thing. It’s hard being gluten free in a gluteny world, but it’s made me more creative in the kitchen, that’s for sure! I love your zucchini mustard sandwhiches!

Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty — March 20, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I LOOOOOOVE mushrooms. I had a rock-my-world mushroom dish in Greece a couple of years ago and it changed my life. I’m addicted!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — March 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm

This weekend we have been in Punta Cana!! Soooo pretty much every thing has been the best thing ;)

Missy — March 20, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Bread tastes good and I understand the appeal but I have followed a flour free diet for years and don’t really miss it. On occasion I have Ezekiel wraps but that’s about it. I do not feel it is necessary for health…but it is not necessarily unhealthy either. To each body it’s own.

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm

The sandwiches look good, like the bread-free version too. :-) I think I used shiitake in Ani’s mushroom gravy last and it was wonderful.

1. Not much, saw a Paul yesterday I guess. The weather has made running impossible here. Awesome run for you though.
    2. Yes, sourdough is my fave.
    3. Yes, but only the good fresh ones – not the cheap canned kind. And I used to hate them as a kid.

Stephanie — March 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm

1. Yesterday I had a really good workout, and then right after I had the best salad ever with tons of baby greens, two different kinds of tofu, roasted red peppers, hummus, sprouts and some tahini sauce that I had left over.

2. I like bread but I don’t like to have it around because then I overeat on just bread and tend to forget about fresh fruits and veggies. Not good!

3. I love mushrooms! =)

Helen — March 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I love bread! I try to limit my weekly intake to no more that two or three times. Usually it is a slice of Ezekial with nut butter. I will use wraps or pitas as opposed to sandwiches but not very often.

Love mushrooms. I will eat them any way you give them to me!

Jess — March 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Love bread. love shrooms too! I’ll eat them raw. Mmmm..i’m odd ;)

Toni — March 20, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I love bread!!! I can’t live without it.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Bread and mushrooms are two of my most favourite foods. They both make me really, really happy :-) I love fried mushrooms on toast!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 21, 2011 at 5:09 am

I wish I liked mushrooms, but I HATE them. Blech. It’s definitely a texture thing for me, and no matter how well they are cooked I just can’t get over it.

Sam @ the neurotic yogini — March 21, 2011 at 8:32 am

I love bread, but I’m going to start baking all my own (trying gluten free recipes!) to prevent from eating all the nasty preservatives/ect. I’m not a huge fan of mushrooms.. but I am trying to eat more of them for the nutrients! Marinated portabellos are slowly becoming more palatable for me.. :)

Amber K — March 21, 2011 at 9:59 am

Ew, I absolutely can’t stand mushrooms! Definitely a hate for me. The taste and texture is awful and is too “meaty.” I remember being so frustrated once when someone made a vegetarian option for me and they were so proud and it was a big pile of mushrooms.

Marylyn from Maui — March 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I made your rolls with rice paper and loved it! I added radish sprouts, which gave it an interesting slightly bitter taste. I made a version of your peanut sauce and it was terrific!
    I used to buy these from the health food store, but it is so easy to make. I did not think, before I saw your website, that I could make these. Thank you! I am now a devoted fan of your website and blog. Comments to your blog are very interesting, too.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 22nd, 2011 at 1:59 am

Marylyn thanks for writing and reading and making those rolls! I love radish sprouts, they were probably wonderful in them and the peanut sauce, too. So easy, right. Glad you are making them at home now.

Jeannine — March 21, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I love your blog. I go gaga for it all the time. It makes me happy. You have simple food, that looks to good to pass up. You make me excited about food. I rave about your blog and tell my friends in Michigan to check out…. There just something contagious about it. I am so happy you are here…. thank you so much for sharing many wonderful tasty food and stories across the universe.. Namasta!!!!! Loving -kindess. ~ Jeannine

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 22nd, 2011 at 2:01 am

Jeannine thank you for the great comment! I love that you are raving to your MI friends and they are reading, too. Contagious energy…it’s a good thing :) Truly love getting comments like yours; makes me realize I may possibly be making a difference to others :)

Treadmill Traci — March 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Answer 1. My grandpa died on monday so this week has been a little hectic. He lived up the street from me. Such a wonderful person. He went to every single one of my violin recitals and high school performances. Best thing i did this week was read his biography and looked through old family photos finding the best ones of him.
    Answer 2. I guess i like bread. I am not crazy about it but i couldn’t live without it!
    Answer 3. Sautteed mushrooms are the key to my heart! What you did with mushrooms above looks absolutely sinful! (in a good way ;) ) i really must try!
    Thank you for sharing! Love your blog!

Dan@Street Soccer Ball — March 25, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I really like the zucchini idea for mini sandwiches. I’ll have to try that at my next party.