Slow Computer

My computer is so slow!

I have had it since 2008 and it holds:

25,000 photos in iPhoto

25,000 photos in Lightroom 3

(Yes, I want my photos in both iPhoto & Lightroom.  No, I cannot consolidate, delete, or downsize.)

10,000 songs in iTunes

Various documents in Word and just general files that one would collect after having a computer 3.5 years.  I don’t actually have tons of files on it since I was never in school while using this computer nor do I use it to store work data or documents.

I have everything backed up in an external backup drive and I’m sure there is a way to move files from my main machine onto backup external hard drives but it just sounds….complicated. And like a project I just cannot imagine undertaking right now.

In the meantime, my computer is extremely slow and sluggish. It freezes and I get the “application not responding” message, tons. And then I have to “force quit” programs like Firefox, iPhoto, Lightroom, Tweetdeck, and wait for them to reboot.  Grrr.

If I thought it would make my life easier, I would honestly gladly just spend the money on a new macked out Mac and be done with the sluggishness, the freezing, the slowness.  I am so sick of it!   Time is money baby and I have no time for the freezing and slowness.  I move in warp speed and expect my computer to do the same.

But again, the thought of transferring everything from my current machine to a new machine not only sounds extremely daunting, but wouldn’t I just then make the new computer sluggish by weighing it down with all my photos, files, tunes, etc?

Something that is not slow or difficult is Mango Balsamic Rice, Beans, & Mixed Vegetables

A one-pot meal in less than 30 minutes with planned leftovers.  How’s that for efficiency.

Another recipe that’s efficient and delicious is are No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Cookie Dough Bites

They take about 5 minutes to make and you don’t even need a Vita or food processor.  Just a bowl, spoon, and of course, peanut butter.

From my last post about Juggling, it was interesting to hear what you’re juggling in your life.  And how it makes you feel.

We all seem to be juggling so much, taking on so many things, and are so fragmented and have so many responsibilities.  I’d be lying if I said I didn’t yearn for simpler times, sometimes. Not always, because I do enjoy being busy and accomplishing lots of things, but sometimes taking a little break from all the juggling we all do would probably do us all some good.

It was great to also hear from all the working mom and mom readers I have.  I didn’t know so many of you read my blog.  Thank you!  You understand exactly what it’s like.

All of that computer and life juggling talk makes me want a Dessert/Snack: Vegan Maple Nut Chocolate Oaties

Questions

1. What kind of computer do you have and are you happy with it?

I have:

1. A Mac desktop, aka an iMac.  I have been extremely happy with it.  Growing up I used Macs, went through a PC phase in college but went back to Macs in 2008 and I am a die-hard Mac girl now.  But everything needs replacing and upgrading at some point.  Not sure if I am at the point.

Not sure how the new models compare with mine.  I haven’t even started researching it.

2. I also have a Macbook that I bought used from Craiglist.  It was 3 months old, and I have had no issues whatsoever, it works perfectly,  and I saved myself a good $500+ by buying it nearly new and hardly used.  The guy I bought it from was desperate for cash and his loss was my gain.  There are some gems on CL, you just have to be willing to deal with tons of yahoos.

This computer although it’s a 2010 model, it’s not my “workhorse”.   I want/need a desktop machine for that.

And since I’m talking Mac products, as a footnoot about my month old iPhone: I love it.  Get it if you’re so inclined or on the fence but think you want it.  The touchscreen is easy and even if you like your Blackberry keys like I did, you’ll adapt in 48 hours.  Totally worth it, right Katie?

2. Do you have any computer advice or tips for making a Mac faster?

I know there are “cleanup” programs out there that de-frag your machine, and all kinds of products that supposedly help your machine run faster but I really don’t want to spend money on gimmicks.

I have tried a few free downloads for things that supposedly were going to make my machine faster, but all they did was just put more crap on my computer that is next to impossible to un-install.  Spyware, adware, and garbage and didn’t treat the problem.  Grrr.

3. Have you ever transferred files from one Mac to a new Mac?  How was the process?

Believe me, there are some things in life I love to do myself.  Like make homemade Mary’s Crackers.

There are other things, I’d gladly pay a computer tech support person to come over and do.

Frankly, the transfer process scares me.  It would be transferring my life for the past 3.5 years! Because let’s face it, we all keep so much of our lives on our computers and I’d hate for anything to get lost in the process.  But then again, it is all backed up.

Have a great day and hope the weather’s nice where you are!

73 Responses to “Slow Computer”

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day — March 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm

The mango rice looks great. So many of your recipes have become staples around here.

Computer. My current computers are older than my grandkids. Seriously lol. But they just keep plugging away … which is fine with me.

Just be careful about external HDs, they can be much more susceptible to getting fried by power surges, etc. It’s easy to lose data on them. I learned this the hard way.

Abby — March 29, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Try Clean My Mac program, you can demo for free or buy for life for $30 (or for 6 months for $15). Totally worth it- it finds stuff you NEVER thought you even had!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 29, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I have a Compaq laptop at home, and a Dell Desktop, and then a macbook for work.

Lindsay — March 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I have a Macbook from 2008 and I had the same problem! I took it to the Mac store because my Apple care was about to expire and I was having similar problems with the computer being super slow, Firefox freezing, etc. He told me it was because Snow Leopard had been installed (which happened when my hard drive crashed and they gave me a new one a year ago) but my computer was designed to support Leopard and didn’t have the RAM to support it. He said the best way to extend the life of your computer is to max out the RAM. I had extra added and it’s significantly improved my problems! I’ve also “repaired system permissions” before and it helped significantly :) It’s easy to do, just google it!

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 29, 2011 at 7:10 pm

So true with time being money on computers! As a geek, whenever mine gets slow I wipe the drive and reload the OS. I’ve done it so many times I have a whole procedure for backing files up to multiple drives. My hubby has also done that a few times with his MacBook. Efficient recipes are awesome, especially when you can get fast and healthy leftovers from them – I’m all about that this week!

1. I have a 14″ Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7 that’s about 10 months old. At home it’s hooked up to an external keyboard, mouse and 24″ monitor like a desktop and I’m happy with that setup. I’m planning to add more RAM in the next month or so getting it to 8 GB, photo editing is a resource hog!
    2. That’s more my hubby’s area, for Windows I’d say install OS updates, remove any apps running in the background you don’t need, defrag the hard drive and run something like Malware Bytes to find any possible malware causing issues.
    3. Nope, sorry! But I do it many times a week in Windows for work! :-P

Tyrah — March 30, 2011 at 9:22 am

We have a Toshiba laptop that is 4+ years old. I love it and it’s been great. Recently we’ve gotten a couple viruses or whatever on it and have called Microsoft support and they’ve removed them (one time it was painfully long, the next was speedy) for free! The only thing is that we have to keep it on a fan board thing that plugs into a USB port or it gets really hot and unhappy and it this point it has no battery life. We have an external HD that we backup our photos onto and clear off all the blog photos to.
    I was recently looking into getting an iPhone when they came to Verizon, but we’re in the stalled out phase right now debating whether the upgraded service for a smart phone fits into the budget. I think I would love it, but we’ll see, until then I’m using my old phone and hanging onto my upgrade in case.
    I have never transferred info from one to another, seems so daunting! We still have our desktop tower waiting for us to do just that…only now it won’t boot up.

jill — March 30, 2011 at 11:32 am

My hubby works for Apple, I think his advice would be to go to an Apple store and get help transferring the stuff over from one to the next. They are there to help!

Phil — March 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I have an old 2400mhz computer I built back in 2004, back then it was next to useless as it only has 750mb Ram but hopefully when I get some pennies I will be able to buy me a brand new one, one that actually runs online games efficiently lol

Karen Coghlan — April 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I recently learned that I needed more RAM. When I purchased the computer it was enough to handle the needed tasks, but as the Microsoft Operating System continued to be improved it began to out grow the ram that I had. Fortunately for me my computer had unused ram slots and I was able to increase the ram very easily, I did it myself. My computer did speed up tremendously.

Something I learned is that Ram is used instead of the hard drive for accessing the operation system. I always believed the the os ran from the hard drive but I was mis informed. Every time you computer is turned on the operating system is loaded into ram, if your operating system continues to be improved and grows your ram will run low.

The powers that be know the standard amount of RAM most new computers have and they expect all of us to keep up. Of course I have a PC and dont know about Mac’s

Lisabeth Phi — April 5, 2011 at 12:30 am

What i do not realize is actually how you are not actually much more well-liked than you might be now. You are so intelligent. You realize thus considerably relating to this subject, produced me personally consider it from so many varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t fascinated unless it is one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always maintain it up!

Gabriel Cole — September 23, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Truly helpful thank you, There’s no doubt that your current readers would possibly want way more posts like this keep up the good hard work.