Stinky or Not

Spring is in the air here and with warmer temperatures combined with working out, that means you better make sure your deodorant is working.

Degree sent me some of their new motion sense deodorant.  It starts working when it senses movement.  Even deodorant is “intuitive” these days.

I honestly didn’t notice too much difference between this formula and their fine fragrance collection deodorant, which has been my go-to deodorant for years, but maybe when the weather is truly hotter and I am working out in that weather, the motion sense version will be more apparent.

For now, it worked perfectly and smelled fresh and citrusey and kept me stink-free.

Speaking of stinky…

Some people think broccoli is stinky when it cooks.

As well as Brussels Sprouts being a little stinkerific.

Or that cooked kale is stanky.

I have found that raw kale salads don’t stink up my house at all.  Imagine that.

This raw kale salad  with mixed veggies was dressed with Vegan Creamy Tahini Cesar-Inspired Dressing

And had diced Sesame Ginger Maple Tofu on top.

The maple and ginger in the tofu smells great, not stinky at all.

Kale chips don’t stink up my house, either.

In fact, the smell of these cooking is so delicious that family members come running into the kitchen wondering when they are going to be ready.  Not kidding.

From my last post about Boots and ugg boots, thanks for letting me know if you’ve ever worn uggs and if you’re a boot fan, or not. Sounds like lots of you thought my new purple uggs were cute.  I am loving them and it’s only been one day that I’ve had them and I wore them today, even though it was 70F and sunny.

This dessert will stink up your house in the best possible way: Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bread

There is just something about bread baking, or bananas, or peanut butter that produces the best aromas.  This bread + bananas + PB  is a trifecta for your nose.

1. Best thing you’ve eaten or done so far this weekend?

I went to the mall!  It was fun.  I can report back later with my shopping finds if you’re interested.

2. Do you wear deodorant and if so, what brands do you like? Any that you don’t like or don’t work for you?

I am not that much of a sweater and not that it’s a great claim to fame, but I don’t think I am that stinky when I do sweat.  I think eating a plant-based diet, not drinking much alcohol, and drinking plenty of water does help reduce the stinky sweat factor.

Also genetics.  Some people are just not sweaters or stinkers.  However, some people, no matter what they do, sweat tons and have stinky sweat.   Or people with stinky feet.  I’m sure they’ve tried everything for their stinky dogs.

I do wear deodorant and like Degree.  I used to wear Secret when I was younger but like the scents that Degree has lately.

I have also tried natural deodorants and for me, even though I just got done saying that I am not that much of a sweater, I do find that the lack of antiperspirants or aluminum in many “natural” deodorants leaves me feeling a bit under-protected.

Review and more info here

3. Do you think that certain produce is stinky when you cook it?  Any cooking tips for reducing the stink?

The trick I’ve found to not having cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, brussles, kale, etc. not stink up your house is to eat them raw.  Kidding.  Kind of.

But if you don’t want to eat raw brussles (I have, and they are hard and bitter) but cook them only as long as need be.  The longer you cook them, the more the plant fibers break down, the more sulfur that is released, and the more house-stink that will result.

And honestly, I don’t even mind the stink.  But Scott’s not a fan.

Some people also say that roasting makes cruciferous vegetables stink up your house less than steaming or boiling them.

Others suggest using frozen veggies rather than fresh in order to reduce the stink factor.

If you have ways to cook your veggies with as little stink as possible, drop a line.  Someone else’s nose may thank you!

Have a great weekend, gang!

54 Responses to “Stinky or Not”

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — March 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Motion sense in deodorant? I haven’t seen that before!!! I usually buy Secret or Suave deod — I’m not too picky. Whatever happens to be cheaper works for me. I need to get the deod/antiperspirant — the deod on its own (especially the “natural” kinds) do not work — my armpits feel slimey and I’m uncomfortable with slimey armpits! :)

The best thing I ate this weekend — we went to my parents and had some sort of chili that my dad made — baked beans, veggies, bacon, bbq sauce, brown sugar — it was delicious!

Anna Crouch — March 12, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I used to either boil or microwave my brocoli, before I knew those were the 2 worst ways to cook them! And yes…they can be pretty stinky. Same with brussel sprouts. HOWEVER, just like you said, if you roast them, they don’t smell at all. My husband used to complain about the brocoli stench, now he doesn’t say a thing. I actually think it smells tasty when brocoli is in the oven! Plus…it tastes SOOOO much better that way!

Clare @ Fitting It All In — March 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I may be making that bread this week!
    And I’m not picky about deodarant because I’ve never been a huge sweat-er. I use Lady’s Speed Stick!

Katie — March 12, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I buy Secret or Dove, but I only remember to use it half of the time. I’m a sweater, but I swear I don’t stink! I’ve actually asked people, and they say no. I did live with this guy who SWORE he didn’t need deoderant because he didn’t stink. He was the NASTIEST smelling dude EVER. And also a vegan. ;)

Natural deoderant, I swear, makes you sweat more and smell worse. I’ve done studies to prove it.

I don’t notice the smell unless I leave and then come back to my house after they’ve been cooking. I usually just try to remember to light a candle.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 12th, 2011 at 7:41 pm

studies to prove it? i would not be surprised at all….i swear i DO sweat more when i put it on..it’s wet and never dries and just makes me…sweat.

Teen spirit. omg. Yes, i remember it. Not fondly. lol.

Katie — March 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Do you remember Teen Spirit? That deoderant SUCKED! And they were all such weird scents….

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine — March 12, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I don’t wear deodorant… I guess I’ve never needed it- my dad raised me and didn’t really know what to do about all the girly stuff, and never bought me any. My mom bought me some when I was around 14, but I never used it, and I’ve always been fine without. I do sweat a minimal amount (but it’s mostly under-boob sweat haha!), but it never smells like anything. I have asked many people for their honest opinion about this because I thought maybe I just couldn’t smell myself, but so far so good!
    I do think some veggies have a different odor when they are cooking (cabbage!!!), but I really don’t mind it!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — March 12, 2011 at 7:17 pm

We use Tom’s Deod or the Crystal stick. Kind of quit using “regular” bath products after not being sure what was safe and what wasn’t. So I just try to get as few ingredients as possible. Yeah, all those little brussel sprouts are stinky!! But LOVE all the brassicas.
    Best thing eaten this weekend….lots of little clementine oranges. Can eat them by the bucket. Plus avocados, salad, hemp seeds. Fat, Fat, Sugar. LOVE.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA — March 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I’m not much of a sweater and for the last couple years I’ve just been using natural deodorant but I’ll admit, I get really paranoid all the time that I stink. I’ve contemplated going back to the conventional anti-perspirant combo. Maybe it’s worth the potential health risk…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 12th, 2011 at 7:43 pm

yes *potential* health risks outweigh *potential* stinkiness for me personally but i am paranoid. lol.

Bria @ West of Persia — March 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Yea, do tell us about the shopping finds. :-)

Weekend fun so far: I finally hit up the steam room after meaning to do so for weeks.

I think roasting cruciferous vegetables smell awesome. In general, don’t overcook them, and it’s all good, as you said.

Deo? Speed Stick and Gillette are where it’s at lately. Agree about the natural deos. Tried them and yeah, they don’t really work.

Alison — March 12, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I’ve been enjoying your blog so much since I found it a few weeks ago! I definitely agree with your thoughts on diet and hydration reducing the amount/smelliness of your sweat – since right around the time I became vegetarian I have been able to get by just fine with one of the natural roll-on liquid deodorants. They work best for me when I put it on right after I hop out of the shower, but sometimes before hard workouts I’ll slap on some Arm&Hammer natural deo just to be safe!
    Thanks for keeping your blog so interesting, varied, and updated so frequently! xox

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 12, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Yum, I love stinky veggies!

I wear deodorant, not antiperspirant. I welcome sweating and think it’s natural. And bathe often, lol. I embrace all ways to get rid of excess sodium in my body, lol.

Lindsay — March 12, 2011 at 9:07 pm

hmmm best thing I’ve eaten this weekend would be some delicious homemade cinnamon rolls I made for my sweetie this morning. They turned out absolutely divine and I loved knowing they were vegan, low-fat and whole wheat :)

Do I wear deodorant? This is going to sound crazy, and quite stinky, but… no. I don’t. At least hardly ever… but I shower twice a day and don’t really need it. Lucky me I suppose. My sweat glands aren’t quite as active. My mother has Native American blood and doesn’t have to shave her legs! Lucky duck. ;)

I love kale. Cooked, raw, wilted, dehydrated, baked. Anything… you name it!

• Lindsay replied: — March 13th, 2011 at 10:14 am

They are super delicious! And kid friendly ;)

Red Deception — March 12, 2011 at 9:48 pm

The best thing I’ve eaten so far this weekend was goat cheese and egg whites. I have been CRAVING it for almost a week. I was trying to put it off because I am cutting back on my dairy intake, but I didn’t take into account that trying to go “cold turkey” was a bad idea. I had to indulge the craving, and it was deliciously amazing.

I am going to give myself credit with the healthy changes I have made, and try to make healthy indulgences. I mean, goat cheese and egg whites aren’t the worst thing I could be craving! It isn’t fast food!!

I don’t find that any produce smells back when it’s cooked. Maybe it’s because I am gaining a palate for it!

Guess what I found at my grocer? NUTRITIONAL YEAST!! I am so excited to try it as a cheesy alternative to some of my favorite snacks!

Being healthy is so exciting!!

mi-an dela cruz — March 12, 2011 at 10:04 pm

oohh deo talk. ok so i sweat. not really stinky though but i sweat. i’ve tried so many deo’s… at first it’ll work, then it’ll stop working. wtheck. i have about 4-5 deo’s right now. i’m going on a 21 adventure cleanse (from crazy sexy diet) starting tomorrow with my gf and she was telling me to use natural deo’s too. she said once your body’s ph balances out, you won’t be sweating as much. anyway, so i got this mineral one from wf’s and so far…it’s ok…not sure if i should keep at it or go back to what i was using (donna karan’s cashmere which smells so good!). or one of these days, just gonna get botox injections (yep) to deactivate some of the sweat glands! lol ugh!

• mi-an dela cruz replied: — March 12th, 2011 at 10:05 pm

p.s. whenever i cook brocs, kale or brussel sprouts, house does not smell either!! i love kale raw cooked steamed baked massaged…anything!! love love kale!

Erica — March 12, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Degree is totally my favorite deodorant! I haven’t tried the new kind yet. The smell of those vegetables cooking has never bothered me…it always makes me laugh when people say they are so stinky!! Best thing I’ve done this weekend was definitely to walk around Charleston today- so nice out, so fabulous!!

rachel @ suburban yogini — March 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm

if you put a bay leaf in the water when boiling broccolli or sprouts they won’t smell :)

Tamizn — March 13, 2011 at 12:10 am

I often steam broccoli before adding it to my salads as raw it does not sit in my tummy well, when I do this there is always a bad smell following me around! Not good! But it tastes good ha ha ha x

Cori@Alternative Health Product — March 13, 2011 at 12:24 am

Though I sweat a lot (only 10 minutes of workouts and it looks like it’s raining on me..), I only use natural deodorant and I don’t stink (I’ve asked all of my friends about the smell). I don’t use anymore deodorant with antisperspirant in it, because it leaves yellow stains on all my clothes. Anyway, I take at least 3 to 5 showers daily…

Jess@HealthyExposures — March 13, 2011 at 5:04 am

hmmm…motion sensing deodorant…well, that’s a new one! haha. at the very least it sounds interresting – I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for it. Come summer, I admit I sweat a loooot. Luckily I don’t think I’m too stanky (of course, do we ever think we stink? haha) but I try to get the “clinical protection” deodorants from either degree or secret. I’ve tried natural deodorants in attempts to get away from aluminum but they do nothing for me. (except for maybe putting my mind at ease. er, no, not even that, because then I’m worried I stink, lol)
    whenever i cook broccoli and someone walks in the kitchen I allllways get a “what SMELLS?!” lol. hopefully the desserts I bake make up for it :P your kale salad + that tofu, though? looks heavenly!!

Lisa — March 13, 2011 at 5:25 am

I don’t wear deodorant very often. The natural stuff really doesn’t work well at slowing down the sweat…I think you’re right—the lack of aluminum just kills its effectiveness.
    The only time I wear it is if I’m dressed up and going to do a presentation or something where I think my pits will get sweaty and show through my shirt—it’s not about the stink, it’s about the wetness factor!

I’ve reviewed some natural deo’s…and they get mostly a big thumbs down!
    I don’t care about veggie stinkiness—I love to eat them so it doesn’t bother me. Joe closes the bedroom door when I’m cooking—he thinks his clothes in his closet will smell like broccoli or something!

robyn — March 13, 2011 at 6:00 am

I haven’t read all the comments so maybe you’ve gotten this tip already but throwing a lemon wedge in with cruciferous veggies when you cook them helps to cut down on the stink.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — March 13, 2011 at 6:10 am

Hey Averie, goodness… I just love your blog! I’m so happy I came across it. The cheesecake was SO good the other day. I’m just about to whip up a batch of the crackers you mentioned, but I’m going to omit the agave and use the oven because I too cannot handle waiting for my dehydrator.

I like to use Dr Bronners soap for deodorant when I’m not planning on sweating a lot [aka rest day] just use it in the morning in the shower and it keeps me fresh all day! When I’m going to the gym though, I like to use Dove. It’s by far the best and keeps my underarms soo smooth!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 13th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

thanks leanne for the compliments and glad you liked the cheesecake!

dr bronners is great, so is dove. diff days = diff things/products.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — March 13, 2011 at 6:23 am

I don’t think I’m a big sweater, but I’m kind of neurotic about deodorant, so I’m not sure. I use whatever kind of Secret is on sale, though I have bought guys’ deodorant on occasion because I like the smell. I’m weird :)

Best thing I ate this weekend was seafood paella last night. Sooooo much shellfish…it was amazing!!

Jennifer — March 13, 2011 at 7:47 am

I also love Degree, I use the spray kind in the can because I am really weird about things and I always thing that things that can ‘dispense’ are more sanitary. maybe not but its what I have convinced myself lol. I have been trying to switch my personal care products to more natural options lately but I agree with you, deoderant is not a place you would want to settle for less. I don’t sweat a ton but I have never felt that natural deoderant did much at all.

melissa @ the delicate place — March 13, 2011 at 9:14 am

i’ve done so many fun things i cannot choose! i learned that 17% was not enough for me, i needed the 18 or 19% anti-pers. guess i’m a sweater! i tried an alba natural deodorant before and it worked ok in the winter but spring/summer made me feel self conscious about personal stank ha.

Amber K — March 13, 2011 at 9:37 am

I have super dry skin and don’t sweat unless I’m working out hardcore, so I don’t wear deoderant. I just shower and I’ve never had any complaints ;)

I steam frozen veggies or I’ll roast fresh ones. So I haven’t noticed any stink problems. Well at least not from cooking :)

Sabina — March 13, 2011 at 9:42 am

hey averie!

please, share your mall experience so I may live vicariously through you (i’m on a shopping hiatus). :-D

i’m not much of a sweat-er, even when working out. I’m also not stinky, so deodorant seems to be more of a habit than a necessity.

Ah, stinky cooking. Our tiny space is NOT well ventilated at all, so we have to be careful, meaning open the sliding glass door and front door to create a through-draft. This may sound weird, but I kinda embrace the smells of cooking, as they mean something is being cooked and someone is preparing a meal.

how’s daylight savings time treating you? so far, so good. we’ve been waking up an extra 10 minutes early each day for the past week, to thwart the time change.:-)

happy sunday!

xo

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — March 13, 2011 at 10:45 am

They are a little bit stinky:( But not oging to lie, I love them anyways!!

kate@ahealthypassion — March 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

I love raw kale salads thats my favorite way to eat it. As far as deodorants I tried every natural one and none worked for me, not somewhere im willing to risk being under protected. I have been making my own for a month now, baking soda, corn starch, tea tree oil, lavendar oil, and coconut oil and it works great!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 13th, 2011 at 12:45 pm

i have friends who’ve made their own. i make tons of things my own, but never that..not yet anyway :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — March 13, 2011 at 11:11 am

ha! I have kale cooking in the oven *right now* – and it’s not stinky this time. It’s weird, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn’t! Maybe has to do with what I season it with??

milkdog — March 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I love sweating and hate deoderant! I think I smell fantastic however I am aware that not everyone agrees, so in the company of more conventional folk that I caer about, I will use the crystal rock stuff- like it b/c it lets me sweat as I normally wouild while neautralizing odor , not making me smell like something Im not. but, that is just me and Im probobaly in the stinky minority on this one…

Carol — March 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

You’ll have to keep us posted on the deodorant. I usually wear Dove because my skin is super sensitive.

I also roast the veggies you featured on your page and I don’t notice any odor. I also wanted to let you know I have tried a few of your recipes this weekend:) My favorite was the peanut butter cookie you bake in the dehydrator. My hubby and I got a dehydrator a few years ago when I was on a dried fruit kick…now I just prefer it raw. I think I am going to try making your seed crackers next weekend.

Hope you and your family had a great weekend!

Christin@purplebirdblog — March 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm

“However, some people, no matter what they do, sweat tons and have stinky sweat.” Yup. This is me. I tried to use Tom’s natural deodorant a couple weeks ago, just to see if it would work for me. NOPE. I am a huge Degree fan, sometimes even the men’s scents! I have to use it or I am just gross. The ladies in my family have always been huge sweaters, and I think I’m done trying to fight it! :)

Sylvia — March 13, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Those natural sticks don’t really work but they are deodorant whereas Degree, Secret etc are anti-persperant which actually stopes sweating. Many of the natural sticks are just meant to “cover” up scent. I think that’s why they don’t have much effect. Personally, I don’t sweat much and anti-perspeant freaks me out a bit but if I sweat a lot I might use it. For anyone who’s interested Dr. Mist is a really good natural “deodorant”. It has no scent and it’s just a mix of water and salts. I swear it works! It has won several awards. You can’t it everywhere but if you ever come across it at a health food it’s one that’s actually worth it.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 13, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I don’t wear deodorant at all – never have. I don’t sweat very much throughout the day, and when I do it is odorless. I have had the hubby check for me to make sure I am not just crazy :-)

I think that broccoli stinks when it is cooking … but I like the stink because it means I get to eat yummmmy broccoli. I think fish smells when people microwave it.

Sam (the neurotic yogini) — March 14, 2011 at 9:41 am

I usually don’t even wear deodorant! When I do I reach for my BF’s Arm and Hammer Naturals deodorant.. it smells AMAZING! Slightly reminiscent of man’s cologne but not quite.. more just super clean smelling! Love it!

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

Interesting on the deodorant, I always use it even in the winter. My hubby makes fun me for putting it on before long runs and races, but I don’t like to stink. :-) I’ve never noticed broccoli smelling bad when it cooks, but cheap mushrooms smell awful cooking to me.

1. Ran another half marathon, even though I sore and running on a lack-of-sleep today. :-P
    2. Yes and I alternate brands, I try to buy mid-range deodorants that smell nice and work will, but aren’t $8 for a tiny stick.
    3. Mushrooms – never cook the cheap canned ones!

mbt shoes — March 16, 2011 at 12:01 am

Thanks,your articler is so good

Krista — March 17, 2011 at 6:33 am

I’m a die hard Dove deo fan! And I prefer the “fruity” scents over any other.

Broccoli has got to be the worst stank offender, but it sure doesn’t stop me from steaming it up! :)