Sweet & Sour ‘Shrooms

The other day when I mentioned I was craving mushrooms and bought some fresh shitakes, after eating a few handfuls raw and plain, I decided to marinate them and jazz them up.

[print_this]

Sweet & Sour ‘Shrooms

1 c fresh mushrooms

1.5 tbsp ketchup

1 tbsp honey

1 tbsp mustard

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp all purpose seasoning (i.e. Mrs. Dash blends, TJ’s 21 Salute Seasoning, etc.)

Stir all ingredients together, add the mushrooms, and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes before serving.

Note: all measurements approximate and use what you have on hand.  Don’t buy anything just to use in a marinade.

Other marinade ideas and optional ad-in’s: salt, pepper, soy sauce, tamari, tahini, salad dressing, hummus, bbq sauce, maple, agave, ground or fresh ginger, wasabi, fresh or frozen vegetables.

[/print_this]

Add the Sweet & Sour Mushrooms to sandwiches and the meat lovers won’t miss the meat.  Scott actually had no idea what they were after I added sliced tomatoes, cucumber, sprouts, and cheese to his sandwich.   He thought they were “clams or some kind of seafood or fish with sauce”.  And he “hates” mushrooms.  Or so he thought.

Don’t forget the mustard, mayo, hummus, or whatever else you like on your sandwiches…

The whole “recipe” takes about 30 seconds to make.  Just wait a bit to let them marinate and the flavors to marry.  Sweet, sour, tangy, and a little spicy from the hot mustard I used and there was a nice chewiness to them.

…Or add in extra veggies and pour the mixture over salads and the veggie lovers or non-sandwich eaters will be happy, too.

Add in some Sweet & Sour Honey Lemon Tofu, and you’re all set

From my last post about Cheese and Dairy, and whether you eat it or not, and why, thanks for the great comments!  Everyone’s perspective about whether they eat cheese or dairy was so different and it was awesome reading all the comments!  Life is not stagnant but is ever-changing, and re-evaluating what we choose to eat and what works for our bodies at various points in time on our life path just seems like common sense.  Seems like many of you have experimented with and without dairy in your life.

We all do what works for us.  For some of us that means no dairy, for others that means a diet that includes dairy.  To each her own and rather than getting bogged down or stressing out over food choices, I advocate doing what feels best and right to you, at that time, and not stressing over it.  Stress is far worse than anything, in my opinion.

And to everyone who mentioned it, yes Kerrygold is great cheese!  I know that because I used to eat it in my early 20s along with my wine.

And to everyone who asked what am I going to do with all of the cheese?  Make recipes with it, serve it to Scott and Skylar, maybe eat some myself (not sure) or maybe have a wine and cheese party for my friends.  You never know!

Dessert: Butterscotch Rice Krispy Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

1. I know I asked if you liked mushrooms recently, but feel free to tell me again if you like them?  Or not?

It’s a love ‘em or hate ‘em food, I think.

2. How do you like to eat mushrooms?  Any fun marinades or raw-ish cooking techniques?

I don’t want to drag out and then wash my sautee pan just to make quickie mushrooms so if you have ideas, let me know.

Plain and raw suits me but some people think that’s kind of weird or bland.  I don’t though.  Today’s mushrooms were far from bland!

3. Anything fun or exciting planned for you today or this week?

I have something fun that I am headed off to now…

42 Responses to “Sweet & Sour ‘Shrooms”

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm

!! Sweet and sour mushroom is brilliant! I have to try that. Yum!! They look so meaty. :)

Love mushrooms… and cheese! Where is your cheese post? How did I miss it? Going to find!! :mrgreen:

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Yum. I love mushrooms. Almost looks like BBQ mushrooms, which I’ve done before and loved.

Lisa — March 22, 2011 at 1:25 pm

The mushrooms look really awesome! I hated them when I was a kid, but now I love them. I tend to use them in salads mostly and love how they soak up the dressing a little bit….they are even kinda meaty :)

Enjoy your cheese…however you decide to spread the cheese love to your family and friends (and maybe to yourself!).

Lesley Lifting Life — March 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Mmm, I absoltuely love mushrooms!! Sweet and sour mushrooms? Even better!!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — March 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm

That sandwich looks delicious — and I’m sure Jason would have the same reaction as Scott — thinking it was some kind of strange meat. Haha!!

Mushrooms are ok, but they’ve always been an “eh” food to me!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — March 22, 2011 at 1:38 pm

those treats look like heaven! I do love mushrooms, in fact I recently bought some! I’ve been searching for a recipe, so I may give this one a try!

Renée — March 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I like to have raw mushrooms with hummus :)

Anna@ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 22, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I LOVE mushrooms. I’ve had nights where I’ve just eaten an entire carton of mushrooms, sauteed, for dinner. SO good!

Just e-mailed you back! Sorry about the delay!!! :-D

Hayley — March 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I love mushrooms and I like them better cooked or marinated because they get that chewy texture. I know you said you don’t want to wash any pans, but if you ever feel like making a roasted veggie dish, I really like roasted portobellos with balsamic. I usually add in other veggies like zucchini and red pepper.

Mindy — March 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I LOVE mushrooms! That sandwich looks super yummy!

Serena — March 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I usually like mushrooms. I love them grilled & fried. I don’t always like them marinated… & I hate it when they’re chewy.

Michelle — March 22, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I love, love, love mushrooms! Last night, I made mediterranian veggie pizza on homemade wheat crust, with sauteed veggies (onions, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes), LOTS of mushrooms, fresh rosemary, and feta cheese. Super yummy!

Gina — March 22, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I love mushrooms! Portabellos are great and have such a meaty texture!

Dorry — March 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I love mushrooms! They are a common ingredient in many of my dishes, and I love them on pizza. I’ll have to try out this recipe. :)

kate@ahealthypassion — March 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I love mushrooms and the sweet and sour combo is always a yummy one!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — March 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Totally printing this recipe Averie! Definitely not your usual “boring” mushrooms! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 22, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I love mushrooms – preferably cooked!!!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) — March 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I love sauteed mushrooms with pasta but I could definitely eat them raw in salads. Yum :D

melissa @ the delicate place — March 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm

i love oyster mushrooms! too bad they are kinda pricey :( oooh excited to hear where you’re headed! my bro is coming to visit this weekend so that will be fun! i can’t wait to take him out to some fun places we’ve discovered :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm

If only mushrooms didn’t give me the heebie jeebies!

Red Deception — March 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love mushrooms! I prefer mine lightly sauteed with garlic.

CathyK — March 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm

have fun with your mystery outing, averie!

“Life is not stagnant but is ever-changing, and re-evaluating what we choose to eat and what works for our bodies at various points in time on our life path just seems like common sense.” – – > love this philosophy. i so agree that just because you ate x y z 10-15-20 years ago does not mean it will or will not work for you now. thanks for the reinforcement!

lovelovelove mushrooms to pieces!

Missy — March 22, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I love the shrooms.
    Portabellas make for some good “pizza” crusts and of course sandwhich buns. I heard you should never have the raw, though. Hmmm.

But I recently fell in love with enoki mushrooms I found at the Korean mart. Great substitutes for noodles.

Glad you are doing something fun!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — March 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm

That is too funny that Scott thought he was eating a clam sandwich!!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — March 22, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I love mushroom and I am looking at those rice crispies squares! It is reminding me that it has been way too long since I have had some :)

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — March 22, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I’m not a huge mushroom fan, but I do love them in sauces or salads. And pizza. So I guess I do like them?! We’re continuing with the moving process this weekend. Final push and then we’ll be in our apartment. I can’t wait until the moving is over!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — March 22, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Love mushrooms! Especially shiitake. Really, anything but button mushrooms. :)

ou can marinate them in miso tamari, flax oil, and lemon juice to have raw ‘shrooms. I did that with a kale salad base this winter – it was fantastic! Check it out here: http://www.sprint2thetable.com/2010/11/1-to-go/

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 22, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Those mushrooms look great!!! I like mushrooms all ways. I can’t get enough.

Bria @ West of Persia — March 22, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Nice!

I, too, love ‘shrooms, but gotta admit I’m not so creative with cooking them. I usually sautee them in a bit of oil. Boring, I know.

Oh, wait, grilling them on the Foreman grill is pretty fun and tasty. I like that best for meaty portobellos. To keep them lightly cooked, just grill them lightly.

trimixjoe — March 22, 2011 at 9:15 pm

life insurance quotes >:[[[ life insurance quotes 96160 equitable life insurance okyb

MzSlyde — March 23, 2011 at 3:43 am

Seriously – Those marinated mushrooms sammy look heavenly… I absolutely positively love shrooms.. I like them prepared all different ways – have never had them marinated and put on a lovely sandwich like this so am definitely going to try it out. It looks delish.
    Thank you for the print button – it makes life easy..
    Thanks again for the great recipe.
    I am on my third batch of the No Bake Vegan Protein Bars. Even added a few touches of my own and let me tell you they are the best thing ever invented. I love them so much and all my friends and family I have let try them are amazed at how great they are compared to store bought protein bars. I will probably never buy them again – they are so quick and easy to make – why buy and spend the money???

Amber K — March 23, 2011 at 9:08 am

I still hate mushrooms, but I immediately e-mailed my husband this recipe because he LOVES them!

Krista — March 23, 2011 at 10:12 am

Those mushrooms look great! I usually just throw them into a sauce or stew. Such and injustice!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini — March 23, 2011 at 10:15 am

I don’t normally like mushrooms (unless they are very fresh). I don’t like the texture they get once cooked.. But these look very appetizing! And since they are raw I think I might enjoy the texture as well!! Thanks! :)

rebecca lustig — March 23, 2011 at 11:05 am

mannnn, you have been LOVING on shrooms recently! haha, i loev it

Have a great day,
    Rebecca

Andy Bailey — March 23, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I love mushroom pizza!
    I love mushroom omelette
    I love mushroom chow mein as made by my lovely missus
    In fact, I haven’t met a mushroom I didn’t scoff down with a nom nom sound :-)

great pictures, I don’t know how you do it . All my pictures of food make it look yuk!

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 23, 2011 at 1:58 pm

The mushrooms look great! Too funny on Scott’s reaction, the sandwich reminds me of my favorite mushroom burger.

1. Yes, a lot more than I used to since I’ve been exposed to higher quality fresh mushrooms instead of the canned stuff.
    2. My current fave way is a mushroom burger at a local restaurant or Ani’s raw mushroom gravy.
    3. Not really, just surviving the cruddy weather and looking forward to the weekend and maybe seeing the sun at some point. :-)

Phil — March 24, 2011 at 8:32 am

That looks superb – will have to give it a try