The Tall & Short Of It

TGIF!  What a whirlwind week!  Glad it’s over. Time to hopefully recharge my batteries a bit this weekend.

Last week I took Skylar to the doctor for her 4 year old checkup.  Even though we celebrated her birthday a few weeks back, this was the soonest they could get us in.

Her checkup report card?

She’s perfectly healthy, doing wonderfully, thriving, and everything looks perfect and on track.  I didn’t need a doctor to tell me that, but hey, nice to know an unbiased professional validated what my mommy intuition already knew.

Practicing flying like a bird. She has energy to spare.  And then some.

She is also really tall and came in at the 95th percentile.  Another thing I already knew and didn’t need a chart to validate is that she’s very tall.

Not a big surprise that she’s really tall because I am a little over 5’10”.  Growing up, I was always in the 95-100th percentile for height, too.  The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

I used to be taller than all the girls.  And the boys. Not really that “great” when you’re 13.  But I love being tall now!

I hope Skylar embraces her height because I have a feeling she will be a tall adult, too.

Time to eat!

Make your weekend easy with something that makes planned leftovers.  Cook once, eat twice with Vegan “Bean & Lentil” Sloppy Joes.

Feel free to add buns.  I prefer to skip the bread/gluten.

Or maybe Mango Balsamic Rice with Mixed Vegetables & Garbanzos is more your speed

No matter what, make sure you have dessert ready for the weekend!

Try No-Bake Chocolate, Chia, & Oat Bars (Vegan, GF) and topped with Powdered Sugar

An old, cringe-worthy photo but hey, looks aren’t everything. Taste is where it’s at.  And these are tasty and take about 5 minutes to make.

From my last post about Free Grocery Money, it was fun to hear what you’d buy with $25 or what usually comprises your shopping orders.

1. Were you tall, average, or short for height when growing up?  Has that changed or did the pattern hold into adulthood?

I was always tall, still am.

2. Do you like your height?

I used to hate being taller than everyone.  I didn’t want to be short, but I wanted to be more average.

Also, there is something about being considered “petite” that I think would be fun.  Maybe not forever, but if I could “sample” being petite, I would.

No one ever looks at me and uses the word petite.  Sometimes (frequently) people say things like, “Boy you’re big!”   I am tall, yes.  But I don’t consider myself to be “big”.   The labels that others place on us and that we in turn place on ourselves are so powerful.  But that’s a whole other post.

As an adult, I do embrace my height and wear heels.  As long as I am already tall, I may as well be well into the 6’2″+ range with heels.   What can I say, I have never been average.

3. If you could pick what you think would be the perfect height, what would you pick?

I will go with what I am 5’10”.  How’s that for embracing the hand I was given and self-acceptance.

Enjoy your weekend!

84 Responses to “The Tall & Short Of It”

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo — March 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm

At one point I was the tallest girl in my class, but now I’m about average, 5’4″. I definitely wouldn’t mind being a few inches taller, but I’m just thankful I’m not any shorter than I am!

Amy — March 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I came across your blog through a link to cheezy kale chips, and I just wanted to say thanks! I LOVE cheezy kale chips, and have been looking for a recipe. I have a batch dehydrating in the over right now in fact. I don’t have a dehydrator, but I’ve found that two hours in the oven at 200 with the door ajar works well. I use two cookie sheets, and switch them every half hour or so. I like them very crunchy. So thanks again, because your blog made my day. I’m looking forward to trying more of your recipes.

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 19, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Agreed on this week! Impressive on Skylar, she’s growing so fast! My sister’s daughters are also tall, but like me, she’s 6′. Being tall in school was tough and sometimes still is when guys I work with don’t like me being taller than them! :-P

1. Tall, I was always taller than friends which I appreciate more now. I actually ran into a girl taller than me at happy hour with a few co-workers a couple of weeks ago, but she was a bit full of herself stating that most guys she’s taller than ask her to have their kids.
    2. Yes, much more than I did growing up.
    3. Tough call because all heights are perfect as long as they’re embraced.

Katie — March 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I was always very average, and then grew about 5 inches in one summer between 7th and 8th grade. It was nuts. I got back to school, and no one recognized me. I was way taller than everyone else, and SUPER skinny. And that is the same height I am now. I never grew another inch.

I like myself right where I am, but sometimes I think it would be fun to be petite. Until I’m at a concert or something, and I can see the stage!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I am 5′ 6″ and I like being this height. I was shorter than most of my friends growing up, but I liked being the “little” one. I am now the same height as all my other girlfriends, if not a little taller.

lauren @ spiced plate — March 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I’m 5 ft 7, which oddly, was super tall with my high school group of friends and then a bit on the shorter side with my college friends. My mom and her sister are really short, but all five my mom’s dad’s sisters are 5 ft 7, and my sister is too. Strange, huh?

s — March 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm

ahh! i am sooo short (5’0″). i now think it’s cute, but i look and feel ridiculous reaching for the top shelf at grocery stores.

Hayley — March 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I’m so glad that Skylar is healthy. And she seems incredibly happy, as always :)

I’m not tall. I’ve always been small for my age and everyone in my family is small (although they are all still taller than me). I haven’t had an easy time coming to terms with it. Like you, I have experienced inappropriate comments from people. I guess that is just part of life, but I think that it is nobody’s business to comment on other people’s bodies. We are all different, we come in different shapes and sizes, is it really necessary to focus on these things? A comment like “you’re big” or in my case “wow, you’re almost a midget” is obviously not going to make anyone feel very good, so what’s the point? Anyway, I’m still somewhat sensitive about the subject! I do wish I was somewhat taller, maybe just a few inches, but I don’t obsess over it. Life is too short to waste time on that.

Sarah @ OneLoveSarah — March 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Embrace the tall! If I could add couple of inches to my height I would be so happy!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin — March 19, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I’m really short (5’0) and I’ve always been that way! I used to absolutely hate it because it meant things like always sitting in the front row of school pictures and always being chosen last for playing basketball. :P But now I like my height, for the most part. The only thing that still bothers me is how people treat me a lot younger than I am, since I look like I’m still a teenager.

Gena — March 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm

This is a very adorable post. I’ve always been 5′ 4″. Occasionally I wish for the extra inch or two, but mostly I’m grateful I didn’t stunt my growth with crappy self care as an adolescent. And I’m a good height for M, which feels like cosmic synchronicity right now ;-)

I love your recap of Skylar’s checkup — an unbiased professional validated what you already know intuitively. Great approach to the merger of allopathic and intuitive care. Have an awesome Saturday, Averie!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 19th, 2011 at 6:38 pm

cosmic synchronicity… I love it! :)

And yes, as a mom, if one didn’t listen to and trust in their intuition, you’d either be living at the dr’s office or living in a perpetual state of mixed messages and confusion from all the unsolicited “advice” people give you!

Michele Sparrow — March 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Skylar is absolutely precious! Glad she is well and in excellent health!

I am 5’3″ and weigh 102 pounds, so I am definitely what you would call “petite.” I don’t mind being petite at all. Growing up, however, I did want to be taller, but now that I am older I don’t mind my height. My husband and oldest son are both 6’2″ so we have some height in the family…which is fun!

Kristina — March 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I’m 5’4″ and I kind of wish I was shorter…haha, SO weird I know, but I love being a “shorter” person, and wouldn’t mind being maybe an inch or two shorter. Though I guess being a few inches taller and being able to reach to the top of the cupboards without my boyfriends assistance would be nice as well ;)

Katie — March 19, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Im a shorty!! hahaha! Im only almost 5’4 ! Skylar is going to be a beautiful young lady , just like her mom! You do such a great job raising her! Her smile is so cute! Love the pics!!!!

Hope you have a great rest of the weekend! xoxo <3

fartygirl — March 20, 2011 at 6:22 am

Thanks for the recipes!!! I just bookmarked the oats and the sloppy joes. I definitely miss joes from when I was a kid… those warm tomatoey foods are so comforting.

I am average height and VERY happy with it. As a kid, I went through a growth spurt and a “tall phase.” I was also very skinny, nerdy and awkward. So today, I like that I’m more squat and curvy. It may sound weird but it makes me feel stronger to occupy more wide space! Hahaha!

Glad to hear you are well, Averie! :)

Krista — March 20, 2011 at 7:39 am

I was always pretty average growing up and landed in at 5’7″. Sarah, on the other hand, is TALL. At not quite 12, she is 5’5″ and towers over her classmates. To me she’s just normal b/c she’s always been a tall girl. Her doc figures the “shortest” she’ll be is 5’10”, but probably more like 6′. Right now her height doesn’t seem to bother her and I hope it stays that way. My only beef is that everyone thinks she’s 14 and tends to expect more from her (maturity wise).

Cel — March 20, 2011 at 10:11 am

Skyler is adorable! She could model!

Im actually six foot 1 and Im still struggling to embrace it.
    Pants are IMPOSSIBLE to find and guys are even harder haha…I know being a tall girl intimidates a lot of guys and it’s nice to hear that you embrace your height…Im working on getting to that stage too.
    I finally embraced wearing heels last night and I was six foot 5! Confidence is always key :)

Christin@purplebirdblog — March 20, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I love being tall too. :)

Sam @ the neurotic yogini — March 21, 2011 at 8:14 am

I am verrrrry short, about 5’1 1/2″, (you can tell the shorties because we count 1/2 inches…) but I love it! I am very tiny, fit into small spaces, never have to duck, can date any size guy and dont have to worry about being taller then him.. the list goes on! :)

Looks like Skylar has the makings of a model like her momma!

nysoonergirl — March 21, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’m 5’11” and I’ve always towered over everyone except my family… I’m the shortest! I can’t stand how people immediately comment, “You’re really tall!” as soon as they see you. Yes, I know I’m tall. I spent my entire time as a teenager desperately trying to fit in and shrink down. My physical therapist thinks that affected my shoulders and neck permanently. There’s no need to point out it, folks! It just strikes me as incredibly rude. Also, no, I do not play volleyball or basketball. Do you play miniature golf?!