What Caught My Eye This Week

I read tons of blogs.  Tons. I wish I could put down the blogs sometimes and pick up my books more, but there is something so captivating about seeing what culinary feats and feasts people come up with, and it’s instant gratification.  Click, click, click. There is always something novel and great to drool over which is why I love reading blogs.

Here are a few gems I’ve seen this week around the sphere:

Paula’s Nutella and Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Party Dip

Caroline’s Spinach Artichoke Dip with Feta

Helene’s Mixed Berry Trifle with Almond Lemon Cake

Evan’s Apricot Energy Marathon Bites

I love Balls & Bites and have a whole post of my own recipes and favorites.

Rachel’s Nutella Fruit & Nut Bars

Need more Granola Bar Ideas?  Check out my Granola, Granola Bar, & Oats Recipes Post

Amanda’s Watermelon Roll

Joy’s Butterscotch Pudding with Carmelized Bananas and Cream

I have a Vegan Bananas Foster recipeAlcoholic, brown sugared bananas make my heart go pitter patter.

And my tastebuds weren’t the only thing drooling this week.  Here are some more cerebral gems:

Kath’s Post on Lightroom and Blogging

Gena’s Top 10 Tips for New Bloggers

Angela’s Kicking the Pop Habit: 1 Year Later

From my last post about Big Produce, I’m glad to know I wasn’t the only one who’s noticed how big food has gotten.  GMO much?

And always fun to hear about your must-have items at the grocery store and what you’re more flexible on.  Sometimes being flexible on things like Fuji apples vs. gala apples can save you a considerable amount of cashola.

All those posts around the sphere made me hungry for dessert.  Maybe a No Bake Toffee & Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bite

1. What blogs do you read?  Why?

I love going to blogs with beautiful photographs.  They make me go back for more.

I also enjoy reading not only “healthy living” blogs, but baking blogs, and what I’d call “traditional food” blogs.  Blogs that use butter and cream and sugar and aren’t afraid to cook with liberal amounts of it.

I may not make what they make or necessarily eat everything they do, but I can appreciate their recipes and passion for food and cooking.  Usually these bloggers love to cook for the sake of cooking and appreciate food in all its glory, and can really cook or bake.  The true “foodies” of the world.

For over a year, I feel into the trap of reading only the same types of blogs.   The same 25 or 50 that many of my readers probably read but in the past 6 months or so, I’ve tried to break out of that loop a bit and branch out and read a wider array of blogs.  I don’t like to label my own diet, and similarly, I don’t like to put a label on the types of blogs I read.  And it’s been great!  I’ve loved really finding what blogs are out there, beyond just healthy living or healthy & fitness related blogs.

2. Have you discovered any great new-to-you blogs lately?

If you drop in more than 3 links, your comment will go into moderation.

3. Have you seen any recipes or posts lately that really have you inspired?   What has caught your eye?

Have a great weekend!

68 Responses to “What Caught My Eye This Week”

CathyK — March 26, 2011 at 3:38 am

i’m with you, averie – love love reading blogs. addiction? yes! (hey, better than diet coke, right?!)
    i read healthy living blogs and running blogs. and lots of ‘em.
    thanks for the recipe links! so many great ideas out there.
    have a wonderful weekend – hope you get sunshine and warm temps!

lindsay — March 26, 2011 at 4:11 am

what beautiful recipes. I love prictures too, I think they say so much about a person. Their creativity, their heart.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — March 26, 2011 at 4:27 am

Definitely some amazing eats out there this week!

I’d say #1 is personality for me. The blog has to have REASON behind it and a true passion for whatever they’re blogging about. Pictures, of course, are crucial, and I really enjoy blogs that have at least decent picture quality. On the same note as personality, I like getting to KNOW the blogger… they need a presence outside the blog whether it’s in Twitter, other blogs, email, or whatever!

Katie — March 26, 2011 at 4:48 am

I am loving when you do a post like tihis! I think it’s nice too that you share other blogs by doing this! Your photos with the lightroom are amazng, and CONGRATS on getting them on foodgawker!!! Well featured I mean on there!!

Love ya girl and thanks for your SWEET comment about me on Gabrielas blog, You are awesome as well ; )

katie xo

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — March 26, 2011 at 4:57 am

I read too many blogs, it makes me late for things! i spend way too much time blogging. But luckily they help keep me inspired and make my blog even better. your blog is one on my main list! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 26, 2011 at 5:42 am

I read so many blogs – I read the healthy living/food blogs (like Kath, Tina, and Caitlin just to name a few larger ones), one that I’ve recently found is healthfulpursuit.com (love Leanne!) and makingitworkmom.com (HILARIOUS mom blog!)

• Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 6:03 am

Aw Chelsey you’re so sweet! I love you too! Seriously though, check out her blog, it’s awesome.
      Hmm… I follow 57 blogs now and I read each of them line by line. I wish I could keep a counter of how many words I read a day. Screw books, blogs are better. I follow an array of different types – health, food – vegan, raw, food journal style… I like to follow the blogs where I get to know the blogger behind them. The pictures don’t have to be fantastic (although I really enjoy the photography on OhSheGlows). I also like to follow people through transitions in their diet. I’m a nutritionist so I get all happy inside when people find health!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Leanne, your blog is awesome, love your easy but awesome recipes.

And Chelsey thanks for the makingitworkmom info!

Krista — March 26, 2011 at 5:50 am

Thanks for all the great links, Averie! I read so many blogs now that I don’t have enough time to post on my own as much as I’d like! Haha!! It’s all good….

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:13 pm

your comments are the BEST! Krista, thank you, for ALWAYS taking the time to comment on my posts…seriously, you are just superwoman!

Cara Craves... — March 26, 2011 at 5:56 am

I read blogs that inspire me…inspire me in the kitchen, in life, to dream, to exercise etc.
    The blogging world has so much to offer; it is such a great community with endless resources.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — March 26, 2011 at 6:29 am

Those pictures of food are incredible!

I like blogs with nice pictures, but also blogs that have people that I like — they may not have the best recipes, but they are likeable to me, real to me, and I enjoy that! Averie I like your blog because although you eat differently than me, I still enjoy your recipes and reading about what you do day to day! I love seeing your pictures get better and better and I think it is great that you found a new passion!

What is helping me this week is joining Twitter and “meeting” people on there and finding blogs that way — you can learn a lot about someone by what they post on there and I love it!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

thank you, Holly, for the sweet words.

Twitter. Still trying almost 2 yrs later to figure it out and not get overwhelmed!

rebecca lustig — March 26, 2011 at 6:43 am

my mom came home with these ridiculously sized bananas. I was almost too afraid to go near them. the food industry scares me more and more everyday.

Happy Saturday :)
    Becca

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 26, 2011 at 6:44 am

I read hundreds of blogs. I wish I had time to read more! I love looking at the food and reading stories of life, getting recipe inspiration, and learning new things. All of the recipes you highlighted look amazing! Drool. :)

melissa @ the delicate place — March 26, 2011 at 7:31 am

the watermelon roll is CRAZY! i like to read blogs that share about themselves a bit without showing me every morsel that enters their mouth lol. elana’s pantry had some good adds this week and i too was captivated by evan’s apricot energy bites but post lent since i gave up fruit for the season ;)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — March 26, 2011 at 7:48 am

I read SO many blogs!! I only really read blogs with photos! And I like blogs where you can see the personality of the person shinning through. Plus I like ones that are a bit different (not oatmeal every single day!!) I read a lot of vegan and raw blogs, mainly because it’s easy to make vegan recipe because they are dairy free!!

Anywhoo, have a beautiful weekend!!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — March 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

I read a ton of blogs too. I love healthier blogs mostly because I find if I read too many not so healthy blogs I tend to want to go to my kitchen and bake brownies and other things like that all day. That doesn’t stop me though, they’re all in my feed reader because I love the pictures and the drool worthiness of them all. I love the art in it.

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — March 26, 2011 at 8:46 am

I definitely gravitate towards blogs with pictures!

Random question: I have been wanting to make your chocolate covered oreo balls, however I don’t eat dairy. Im wondering, how strong is the taste of the cream cheese in these? I am thinking about using Tofutti better than cream cheese, however if the cream cheese taste is strong I might not because Tofutti doesn’t taste amazing…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Not super strong, no. I think you’d be fine with Tofutti. I mean, if you hate Toffuti, it’s not the recipe for you but as long as you are ok w/ it, i think youll love them!

lynn @ the actor's diet — March 26, 2011 at 8:51 am

i read an obscene amount of blogs as well. i know it can be overwhelming, which is why i started just a tumblr one for my readers who don’t have time to read full posts and just wanna see pix:

got my inspiration from http://simplybreakfast.blogspot.com/ which is just a pic of b’fast each day.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I just checked out your tumblr. VERY COOL! And i had seen simplybrek’s blog before, too. Straight to the point and just pics. Love it.

chocolatecoatedrunner — March 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

I agree with you about which blogs are fun to read. Definitely pretty pictures, interesting info about life/health/food, and some things about the blogger =)

Katie — March 26, 2011 at 9:10 am

Again, you and i are on the same wavelength. In my post today, I decided that I am going to highlight a non-food blog every week. At least one. I know food blogs are great, and I read a lot of them too, but there are SO many inspiring and interesting other blogs that have nothing to do with food. I read a ton of those too. Lots of crafty and sciencey ones, but also funny ones, life ones, photography, etc. etc.

The watermelon roll? Awesome.

Stephanie — March 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

I’m starting to have a problem keeping up with blogs. I love reading them, but I can easily spend a few hours a day reading and commenting. And then I have to motivate myself to post on my own blog. I’m trying to limit my screen time so that I don’t burn out, and so that my neck doesn’t get sore! Ha!

Some of my favourites are here (but there are dozens more that will be added to that page EVENTUALLY): http://www.love-life-project.com/p/blog-roll.html

Christine (The Raw Project) — March 26, 2011 at 9:18 am

I hear ya on blog reading, I wish I had more time for it this week! Great list, especially the Apricot Marathon Energy Bites.

1. Tons, too many to list! Let’s just say my Google reader is jammed! A lot of food, technology and fitness blogs for new recipes, lifestyles and fitness advice.
    2. Vegansaurus and Veggywood.
    3. Gena’s Avocado dressing and plenty more, my recipe wishlist and flagged posts list is a bit overwhelming.

Amber K — March 26, 2011 at 9:28 am

I read quite a few blogs, but every once in a while I trim some out. I realized I was reading a few just because I felt like I “had” to. They were big and “everyone” reads them, so of course I should too. And then I realized that they not only did I not like most of what they ate, but their personalities just didn’t mesh with mine.

I do tend to prefer to read bloggers who post food that I would eat myself. Because while I like the community, I turn to blogs when I’m looking for recipes and new meal ideas. But some like Julie at Peanut Butter Fingers have such great personalities I don’t care that she eats all kinds of food that I either won’t or can’t eat.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Julie is a total doll, isnt she!

“And then I realized that they not only did I not like most of what they ate, but their personalities just didn’t mesh with mine. ” —
      I totally kwym :)

zoe (and the beatles) — March 26, 2011 at 10:09 am

mmm — you choose some yummy looking recipes to feature :)!

lately i’ve overhauled a lot of the blogs i read. i just started reading medicinal marzipan (http://www.medicinalmarzipan.com/) on the regular and am kind of in love with it. it’s a positive living/body image, self-love blog. she’s a wicked smart lady and writes lovely posts. plus, it’s such a positive driven blog it always reinvigorates my spirits when i am feeling lowly about myself!

Pam — March 26, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’m addicted to this blog, and http://ohsheglows.com/. I know there are so many amazing blogs out there, and too little time! I love it when bloggers are personal. They probably don’t want to reveal everything, but the more the better in my book. Otherwise, I might as well just read cookbooks.

My favorite new-to-me blog is http://greensandjeans.wordpress.com/ because of the writing. So entertaining!

I’d love to be a blogger someday ~ can’t do it time-wise right now. The outlet for creativity is amazing! It’s awesome to see how your blog has evolved.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Madeline was my BEST FRIEND in Phoenix when I lived there for 9 mos and we got together weekly and I posted weekly about our coffee meetups. They are all in my archives. She is an amazing friend and great girl!

Angela’s blog is awesome, too.

Glad you’re enjoying my evolution :)

Katherine: Unemployed — March 26, 2011 at 10:55 am

I love dips! those are great finds. my blog has been uber boring lately.
    PS: love that your heart follows alcoholic bananas :) mine does too

Leslie — March 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one! I read a LOT of blogs. Mostly the same ones. I have about 5-10 that I’ll read everyday, but I’ll branch out a bit too. I read lots of food blogs (right now, I’m really into raw/vegan/veg blogs), but I do like to read other conventional foodie blogs too.

I also like to read crafty blogs, home decorating, artsy stuff.
    My top three? YOURS (makes me very happy), The Fitnessista, and Choosing Raw. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Awww, Leslie, thank you! Being in the company of Gina & Gena is a lovely honor :)

• Sylvia replied: — March 27th, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Same! I’m more of a lurker but the only 3 blogs I read are you three!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — March 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I read mostly food blogs, with a few fashion/lifestyle/decorating/mommy blogs thrown in there. And I think the blogs I like best are the ones where it seems like an actual person is behind them!! I think a lot of cooking blogs can be really beautiful and I love that aspect of them, but they can also seem kind of impersonal, so I love real-life anecdotes thrown in as well. I definitely agree on the not labeling thing, too. Just because I don’t eat meat, it doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate how hard someone works to prep the perfect ribs, or whatever!

Meg — March 26, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Oh girl I am SO addicted…I had to delete my Google Reader in fear that I’d fail school HAHA ;)

Thank you so much for sharing – gonna go read up on these amazing blogs right now.

Love you! :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:21 pm

welcome back! I was wondering what happened to you…yes, deleting googlereader in order to stay in school…good call :)

silvia — March 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Yours is the best

The Teenage Taste — March 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I love books, but blogs are just so much more fun to read! I used to only read healthy living blogs but now I read food blogs, fashion blogs, and just life blogs! It’s nice to have a medley of reading material!
    PS – Sometimes dishes with copious amounts of sugar and butter taste the best. Just sayin’ ;-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — March 26th, 2011 at 1:24 pm

“PS – Sometimes dishes with copious amounts of sugar and butter taste the best. Just sayin’”

So true!!

Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) — March 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm

“Sometimes dishes with copious amounts of sugar and butter taste the best. Just sayin’ ;-)

SO TRUE!

Ann Claire — March 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love seeing all that stuff that caught your eye. It all looks so yummy! While I try eat and cook pretty healthfully myself, I too really enjoy reading blogs that use “the real stuff” aka butter/sugar/white flour, ect.
    I definitely read mostly food blogs. I just started reading http://www.howsweeteats.com/ and I love that blog. I actually think I discovered that blog because of something of hers you posted about that looked delicious (peanut butter stuffed hot fudge cupcakes if I remember correctly). I read your blog all the time, I really should comment more.

Kate @ Naturastride — March 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Hi There! Great post – love your blog. These recipes look delish – I love your “balls and bites” recipes as well and am actually planning on making your No-Bake Oatmeal Raisin Carrot Cake bites this weekend! yum…
    These comments have been great to read as well. As a new blogger – I’ll take any advice I can get. Thanks!
    PS – your daughter is too cute!

Jen — March 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Being a new blogger myself, I’m really enjoying the love that’s going around for new bloggers! When Gena put my blog on her list of new bloggers to check out, I was thrilled, and now I’m thrilled again to see that you just provided a link to that post! YOUR blog is actually one of my new-to-me blogs. I’m already in love. Not only that, but I’ve already made your cookie dough bites. Having them in the freezer is dangerous, because I keep going to grab one while I’m in the process of making a meal. Cookie dough appetizer bites? I think yes. I actually talked about them in my most recent post!

Since I’m a new blogger, I suppose I should formally introduce myself. My name is Jen, and my blog is a mix of everything! Just so you know…because honest compliments never hurt…I think you’re awesome! And gorgeous. I’m definitely a new fan! I can’t wait to make more of your recipes.

dragonmamma/naomi — March 26, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Here’s my new favorite inspirational fitness blog; tons of photos of bad-ass women!

Hayley — March 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I like when bloggers write about their lives. I’m really fascinated by people. I like hearing their stories and seeing how they came to be who they are. I know that’s pretty deep but I think its amazing when people are willing to share. Often I relate to their stories and start making connections with them, and then I really look forward to reading their blog. Its a time in the day when I can escape from real life and just “hang out with a friend” so to speak.
    I also love when bloggers are witty and funny. It helps to balance out some of the deeper heart wrenching posts.

Lauren @chigallauren — March 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I’m pretty new to the blog world, but my reader gets longer and longer every week! Love your blog, I’m trying to broaden my horizons to get in a little healthy eating, a little baking, and a little of everything else!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I read a bunch of blogs, and am always adding more.

Thanks for the links – everything looks SO good … I am heading over to the nutella fruit and nut bar recipe now :-)

Evan Thomas — March 26, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for the link! :-)

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — March 26, 2011 at 8:02 pm

These all look SO amazing. Could live on raw desserts & kale chips. Truly.

Yoga teacher insurance — March 28, 2011 at 2:44 am

Healthy and active living is too difficult in current status of my work; I remain busy throughout the entire day. I really can’t do the same exercises that I did years ago. I used to read articles and blog post related to best exercise and food for healthy living.

Sam @ the neurotic yogini — March 28, 2011 at 10:02 am

I really enjoy reading healthy living/vegan/vegetarian/yoga blogs! Though I’m trying to expand my scope into other areas I’m interested in as wel.. such as mental health, crafting, ect. :)

Valerie @ FreshMutz — March 29, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thank you so much for this post! As a new blogger it’s really helpful to hear what readers want. As far as my favorites I would have to say I enjoy: Hungry Hungry Hippie, Fitnessista, and of course, Love Veggie and Yoga. What I most appreciate about the food/fitness blog world is having the opportunity to share the positive vibes and passion. I am so happy that I can now join in on the fun.

amanda @ fake ginger — March 29, 2011 at 10:15 am

Thanks for featuring my watermelon roll! I’d send you a piece if it traveled well! ;)