Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter

I love peanut butter and sunflower seed butter, but this week it’s been all about another kind of nut butter.

Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter anyone?

[print_this]

Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter

Makes about 2/3 to 3/4 cup

1/2 cup cashews, soaked (I used raw, unsalted, whole cashews from TJs.  Use raw/unsalted if possible)

1/3 cup agave/honey/maple syrup (combo of one or any), to taste

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Optional and omit if you don’t like coconut flavored food; at which point you’d have Chocolate Cashew Butter:

1/4 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened or sweetened)

2 tablespoonscoconut oil

Soak cashews in water for at least an hour (4-6 hours or more is ideal).  Remove soaked cashews and add them with the remaining ingredients to a Vita-Mix, high speed blender, or food processor.  Blend until mixture is smooth.

Tips:

If you don’t have a Vita or similar type blender (i.e. you are using a Magic Bullet or mini food processor), your cashew butter may not get as smooth or creamy as it will in a Vita, but just keep blending.  Scrape down the sides, blend.  Repeat. Repeat. Even in the Vita, it took about 4-5 minutes on high to get the nut butter really smooth.  Find those ear plugs. No one ever said nut butter has to be perfectly smooth.  Crunchy nut butter is still great.

If the nut butter seems too thick and your machine is having a hard time really blending the butter, add a bit more agave/honey/maple syrup, or coconut oil to make blending easier.

I store mine in refrigerator; will solidify a bit in the fridge from the coconut oil but softens again at room temp.

[/print_this]

Everything in…

…Blend.  And keep on blendin’

This was after about 2 minutes on high.  It took another 3 or so to get it really smooth.

It all smooths out.  It just takes awhile. And it doesn’t have to be perfectly smooth, anyway.

Enjoy!

If this recipe looks a bit familiar, it’s because it’s the same recipe that I used for the coating of the Chocolate Coconut Kale Chips I made earlier in the week.

The coating was too good not to make and eat as nut butter.

Eat this on fruit, on bread, on top of oatmeal, in smoothies, as a smoothie “topper”, on crackers, or however you like to eat nut butter.

Or just dip your spoon into the bowl and go to town.

If you like chocolate, infused with coconut flavoring, then this recipe is for you.

The other great thing is that cashew butter is much easier to make than almond butter or even peanut butter.  Cashews just soften up and blend far easier than other kinds of nuts, in my experience.

I should know.  I’ve accidentally made cashew butter many times in the process of making Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

So it was easy to make cashew butter for this recipe.  And it was only natural, but of course, to add chocolate and coconut in, too.

From my last post about Locally Grown and whether or not you support locally grown foods or farmers, it was great to read how many of you do as much as you possibly can to support local agriculture.  I think it’s wonderful to support small businesses, locally-owned, and family-0wned businesses from farms to restaurants to service providers when ever possible.

And yes, I can’t wait til my locally grown avocados ripen up!  Thanks for sharing what you’d make with them.

1. What’s your favorite kind of nut butter?

I have a serious love affair with peanut butter.  I have an entire post dedicted to my peanut butter recipes.  From tofu to desserts to peanut sauce, I use peanut butter all the time.

I also love sunflower seed butter.  TJ’s sunflower seed butter, especially considering how inexpensive it is, is probably my favorite nut butter for just “eating” whereas PB is what I use in recipes.  However, it’s like picking which blog is your favorite.  Impossible to choose.

But it’s between PB and SFSButter for me.

All my recipes that I use PB or SFSB in, you could use Almond Butter in them, or another nut butter.  I know some people have allergies or taste preferences and everything is interchangeable with my recipes.

2. Have you ever tried to make your own nut butter?  What kind and how did it turn out?

I have tried to make almond butter before and it so-so.  And I don’t really love almond butter anyway but this was a few years ago when I first got my Vita and wanted to make nut butter in it!  Almonds don’t soften nearly as well as cashews, plus I didn’t flavor it well enough with agave/honey/maple, vanilla, and it was very boring tasting to me.

I have never tried to make my own peanut butter, or sunflower seed butter.  For $3.99 a jar, max, at TJ’s, I’ll leave those to the pros.

However, chocolate coconut cashew butter, cost me less than $3.99 to make and took 5 minutes.  Try it!

182 Responses to “Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter”

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 27, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Ahhh that looks amazing!! I love how gorgeous the photos turned out, as well. I’ve never tried to make my own nut butter, but I think my own is just plain old peanut butter. Smuckers’ Creamy Natural is AMAZING and super cheap. I love that it’s got a salty kick to it!!

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — April 27, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Aaaahmazing pictures Averie!! I hope you submitted. These are some of your best yet :) Not to mention how freakin delicious that nut butter looks. Chocolate?! Nuts?! Mmmm

Erica — April 27, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Wow! This looks so good and the pictures are GORGEOUS! Great work Ms. Avery! I love walnut butter (homemade with cinnamon, AB (TJs raw unsalted and Justin’s Maple AB) & PB (naturally more)

Noya - gluttonandstudent — April 27, 2011 at 3:28 pm

That butter looks SO smooth! I’d definitely be afraid to publish pictures of mine when I make it – I’m sure it would be super chunky and awkward looking haha.

I LOVE peanut butter. LOVE.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — April 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm

OH MY GOSH! that looks SOO creamy! I seriously want some..now :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm

That nut butter looks SO creamy and smooth … wow, it is just perfect!!!!!

I want to say that is my favourite, and I haven’t even tried it yet!

chocolate-covered katie — April 27, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Love love LOVE your photos!!! They look so professional, Averie! Did you just use your regular camera for them? They look studio-done! :)

And lol what on earth is with all the weirdo trackbacks? ;)

Ѽ Reka — April 27, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Wow! Averie, that Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter looks soo good! Looks like chocolate pudding, except much healthier :) Thank you for the recipe.

Callie {Rawxy} — April 27, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Look at you go with those photos!! They look incredible – and so does the choco butter, of course!

carin — April 27, 2011 at 8:25 pm

oh gosh that looks like PUDDING. i can’t make it or else i’ll eat the whole batch straight up (which will end up on my hips, straight up :))

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 27, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Awesome job on the cashew butter, looks wonderful! Great pics and treat inspiration.

1. Almond or pistachio butter.
    2. Yes, almond, hemp seed, walnut, cashew and mixed nut. All in the small cup of my food processor.

Lorin — April 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm

You make me want a vita-mix and a kitchen; but I’m a college freshman so I guess I’ll have to wait a bit. All your recipes seem amazing! So beautiful too.

Amanda — April 28, 2011 at 6:20 am

Averie,
    The pictures really are beautiful and amazing, can’t wait to try this recipe yummy. Everything you make sounds great!! Keep it up I love it :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) — April 28, 2011 at 7:56 am

Oh my gosh Averie, this looks DIVINE! I need to make it. First though, I need to buy a Vita. Soooo smoooth! ;)

xo

Krista — April 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

Oh boy! This sounds great! My poor blender may not like it, though…Why do you soak the nuts? Is it to soften them? I’ve always been curious abou that….

Stephanie — April 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This looks SO perfect. It’s kind of blowing my mind. I need to make some chocolatey nut butter asap, and it just might be this one.

Carla — April 29, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hmm so delicious yet healthy. My nut butters tend to split, but this one was easy. I would never have realised that soaking the cashews would help.

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 30, 2011 at 8:11 am

OMG… the texture looks DIVINE!! Totally drooling over here… ;)

Angela — May 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

OH MY GAWD! The beauty of this recipe and photos…there are no words! Im so making this asap!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 1st, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Thank you…botj FG and TS took the pics. Imagine that. Two for two. haha

Oh and they both took my kale chips. Seriously though, I tweeted it to you, but never try to photograph brown kale. It’s possibly the ugliest food on earth and trying to make them look pretty was my death but somehow managed…lol.

LMK if you make it, how you like it. :)

Julia — October 27, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I tried this tonight but roasted my cashews the way I normally do. This never turned smooth. It tastes good but was way too oily and has sort of a fudgy texture. Wondering where it all went wrong. I make almond & cashew butter all the time and it always comes out great. Maybe I should have skipped the coconut oil? Argh. Looking for ideas on what to do now with my fudgy nut…stuff. Lol

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 27th, 2011 at 9:16 pm

you need to blend blend blend. If you don’t have a VitaMix, I’d say AT LEAST 10 mins in the food proc. If you have a lower quality food proc, you will never get it perfectly smooth…and that’s ok. It all tastes the same, right? :) Put it on anything…from crackers to toast, use a dip for just about anything from fruit to veggies to ice cream topping.

Make my choc covered kale chips with the coating…

Skies the limit!

Julia — October 27, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I did more than 20 minutes even…I have a great cuisinart. Never had any trouble making but butter before and I don’t normally add ANY oil.
    I’m thinking about making energy balls with it..rolling it into balls with crispy rice cereal and maybe some sunflower seeds. I SO wanted to make the kale with it but it’s too fudgy to mix with the kale. I’ll try it with my next batch.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 28th, 2011 at 3:12 am

your energy ball idea sounds great, rolled in crispies.

i never toast my nuts before making nut butter and started with soaked cashews, maybe that’s the difference? or the oil type/consistency? difference in machines?

sounds like your mixture is too thick? maybe it needs more liquid, i.e. agave? but you say it’s oily? hard to exactly troubleshoot from afar but sounds like you have a method that works for you already. but yes, this is a THICK nut butter.

have fun playing around!

Mercedes — December 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I have a question for you! I have a Vitamix and I tried making peanut butter once and it was so dry and I felt like i was really abusing my machine! Do you have the special dry blade for the Vitamix or do you use the regular one? When you make it do you feel like it heats your machine up quite a bit? Thanks for your help!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — December 12th, 2011 at 2:56 am

I have both the wet and dry blades but never use the dry…just use the wet as it’s just one less thing to clean that way.

Yes, your machine will heat up and use common sense but they are meant to take quite a bit of…abuse…for lack of a better word!

hihorosie — February 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm

wow is all I’ve got to say. Looks so creamy and dreamy! WTG!

BigFatBaker — April 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Hmmm… When I made my peanut butter in my vitamix I didn’t soak them. I wonder if that would have made it smoother/creamier? I want to try your cashew butter!

kelly — June 3, 2012 at 7:42 am

Hmmm, just tried this and as lovely as it looks it is way too sweet for me (and I have a huge sweet tooth so that’s rare for me to say about anything). I was a little doubtful when I saw the quantity of sweetener but I ignored it and went for it anyway…lesson learned! The combination of flavors has a lot of promise though so I suspect it will just take some tinkering with the quantity of sweetener…food for thought for all of you thinking about trying this recipe. It’s much easier to add a bit more in if you need it than to end up with a batch that you have figure out how to rebalance the flavor of or toss out completely…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 3rd, 2012 at 8:24 am

I edited the post and wrote, to taste, next to sweetener. Everyone’s tastes are different and you’re right, always easier to add things at the end. Everyone’s sweeteners are different, cocoa powder brands vary in sweetness, etc. So yes, always to taste.

You could easily just add more cashews and cocoa powder to your current mix and a smidge more coconut oil and blend again. It wouldn’t take you more than a few minutes to do I wouldn’t imagine so that you can enjoy it *exactly* the way you want it!

Anya — July 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Your photos makes my mouth full of water. I love coconuts, I love cashew nuts, I love chocolate, I love every ingredients that’s needed to make this beautiful Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter. What an awesome job you did!

Marilyn — July 26, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Wow! I just made this and my youngest son asked if this was Brownie Batter!! Definitely a big hit at our house. I used Dark Cocoa Powder. Yum!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 26th, 2012 at 7:05 pm

You son has great taste :) Thanks for the feedback & glad it was a hit!

Mave — December 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm

you’re vegan and you’re using honey??

Leah @ Whitefoot Blog — December 22, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Averie, this looks fantastic! My local farmer’s market sells cashew butter and I love it. I’ve also made peanut butter in my Vitamix (the latest batch of which is currently in an old salsa jar :P ). Just curious, what is the purpose of soaking the cashews?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 22nd, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Soaking softens them and makes them easier to blend – for some people with older machines/food processors that aren’t a Vitamix, this is helpful :)

Meagan — January 5, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I just found your blog – I see your name frequently b/c you comment on Kath’s blog. You take some beautiful photos. This recipe fooled me b/c it looked exactly like chocolate avocado pudding, but it’s actually cashew butter! I will give this a try in my new VitaMix some day!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 5th, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Thanks for saying hi and if you have a new Vita, this is a great way to break it in!

Marita Madeloni — January 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Wow. This looks absolutely delicious! It’s like a healthier version of Nutella and I LOVE coconut anything. Thank you for this wonderful recipe (the photos don’t hurt the cause either)!

Joan — January 28, 2013 at 9:59 am

What can I use in place of the agave/honey/maple syrup if I can’t have sweetener?thanks for all the good phtos and yummy idea. I can see my grandchildren snarfing this down. :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 28th, 2013 at 10:02 am

Well if you can’t have sweetener period, then there’s nothing I could recommend to you! Sorry!

You could of course make it unsweetened. Not sure the grandkids will love that, but you never know.

gina — August 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm

hello! can i use shredded or dessicated coconut rather than flakes or will they not go smooth? thanks

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 11th, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I’m not sure – just use what you have and blend, blend, blend. I have a feeling it’ll have more to do with your blender/food processor than the type of coconut.

Kathy — August 21, 2013 at 11:28 am

Have you tried making cashew butter? If so did you soak your cashews and for how long? And I would like to say something about a vitamix blender. I had one which my son is now trying to sell on Ebay. I’d had it for over a year but had only used it twice. I have replaced it with warrings pro two speed retro blender. I cannot believe the comparison. I like frappe’s and other drinks made with ice and my vita mix would not pulverize those ice cubes but with my warring you cannot even tell it was made with ice cubes. And the warring only cost me one hundred dollars. A bit cheaper than the five hundred I paid for the vita mix. Love you blog and thanks for letting me comment.

Dena — September 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm

This is such a good dip!! I actually throw in spinach to make it more healthy and my daughter doesnt even know its in there, you cant taste it.

Lisa | Mummy Made.It — August 3, 2014 at 4:22 am

I love healthy nut butters. Cashews are so creamy and perfect for making smooth and chocolatey.