Chocolate Coconut Kale Chips

If you think kale is a boring vegetable, think again.  This recipe will change your mind.

And it’s easy.  No dehydrator required.  Just a love of chocolate.

[print_this]

Chocolate Coconut Kale Chips

1 bunch of kale, washed and big stems removed

1/2 c cashews, soaked

1/2 c agave/honey/maple syrup (combo of one or any)

1/3 c cocoa powder

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Optional and omit if you don’t like coconut flavored items:

1/4 c coconut flakes (unsweetened or sweetened)

2 tbsp coconut oil

Directions:

Soak cashews in water for at least an hour (4-6 hours ideal).  Remove the soaked cashews and add all the other ingredients (except the kale) to a Vita-Mix or blender.  Blend until mixture is smooth to make the chocolate coconut coating.  Pour this mixture over a bowl of washed, de-stemmed kale leaves and toss to coat.

Transfer coated kale to a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 300F for about 20 minutes.  Flip, and bake for another 10 minutes, give or take.  Watch them closely because the honey/agave/maple mixture can burn quickly and it’s hard to tell with the dark chocolate color if they are burning or not.  Let your nose and common sense be your guide.  Remove crispy chips one by one if necessary.

You could dehydrate these chips, too, but because many people don’t have dehydrators, I purposefully made these in the oven.

[/print_this]

A Visual Guide

Gather your ingredients

Add soaked cashews and all other ingredients (except kale) to Vita or blender and blend until smooth.

First time trying Tropical Traditions Shredded Coconut Flakes.  They worked perfectly in this recipe but if you don’t have them any shredded coconut will do, sweetened or unsweetened, It won’t matter much after all that agave. I have been a fan of their Virgin Coconut Oil for years.  Not sure what took me so long to try the flakes.  And now I have 2 pounds of them.  Not a bad “problem” to have.

Combine chocolate mixture + washed and de-stemmed kale leaves and toss leaves to coat.

If you are ever want something decadent, just eat this coating. It’s essentially chocolate coconut cashew butter.   Crazy good.

Bake on parchment lined cookie sheets, flipping as indicated in the recipe.

Spread the kale out for optimal results.

Then enjoy the fruits vegetables of your labor.

These were so good.  You forget that you’re eating a vegetable.

Crisp, coconut-infused, chocolate kale chips.

I hesitate to call these “healthy” because I doubt a vat of chocolate-coconut sauce on top of anything is really “healthy”, but the kale is healthy.  I’ll go with that.

You can’t even really “taste” the kale.  They’re not Pringles or anything, but they don’t taste like “health food”, either.

In fact, they make a great dessert because they are crunchy and sweet.

They are going to become a staple for me.  They already have, actually.

How could the coating mixture, which is essentially chocolate-coconut-cashew-butter not make anything, kale included, taste amazing?

Skylar loves my other kale chip recipe for Cheezy Kale Chips, and she loved the chocolate coconut chips just as much.  And so did non-kale loving Scott.  He actually asked me to make more.  More kale?  Really?  Sure!

Store extras in an airtight container.

I purposefully “forgot” about a second batch of these for 3 days just to see how well they would store and hold up.

Three days later, the storage verdict?  Just fine!

Still crisp, crunchy, and chocolaty, three days later.

From my last post about Bunny Crafts, thanks for the compliments on the pictures of Skylar.  Yes, she’s my little lovebug love bunny.   And the Easter Bunny is on his way.  She’s so excited!

If you need another snack idea that goes with the chips theme, try my homemade “Mary’s Crackers” (Vegan, GF, can oven bake or dehydrate)

They are seed-based (no nuts) and you can take them sweet or savory.  Just adjust the spices to your liking and palate.

1. Do you like kale chips?

Yes, I love them!  However, I do need to watch myself and not eat an entire batch, or half batch (which is very easy to do!) of kale chips in one sitting.  <— Fiber much?

2. When did you first try kale chips and if you haven’t yet, do you plan to?

It’s another one of those blogosphere influenced foods for me.  Something I tried a few years ago because of the ‘sphere and reading about them on blogs.

I’ve tried both my homemade and store bought varieties of kale chips.  Honestly, I prefer making them at home.  Easy, fresher, and way cheaper!

3. Favorite way to make kale chips?

Share your technique.

Everyone seems to have a slightly different method, i.e. spraying with cooking spray, what seasonings/spices/nooch/etc that you use, oven temp, broiler or not, flipping or not, high heat low time duration/low heat longer time duration, oven door ajar or not, dehydrator or not.

As an aside, I do like my dehydrator but as I explained in my Favorite Kitchen Appliances post, buy other gadgets and appliance first.

Can’t wait to hear your kale chip cooking methods.  And also your reviews on this recipe if you try it.  I’m 99.9% sure you’re going to love it!

Happy Easter to all those celebrating!

155 Responses to “Chocolate Coconut Kale Chips”

cathy — April 24, 2011 at 3:37 am

happy easter, averie! enjoy your family time, and the joy of watching skylar’s excitement with her easter bunny treats!
    i have tried kale chips once…and loved them! your varieties all look great.
    hope your easter sunday is SUNNY!

Lisa — April 24, 2011 at 4:01 am

I made chocolate and vanilla kale chips…and they were both good..but you have to try the vanilla because I think they were even better! They were cashew cream plus maple syrup, vanilla and vanilla stevia…and then after I massaged the kale, I added some golden raisins that stuck to the chips.
    So good! I don’t know if putting a link here will make it go to spam, but here’s what I did with a pic: http://www.thrive-style.com/2011/03/superfood-brunch-with-my-mini-me/

Your chocolate recipe looks better than mine did!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 24, 2011 at 4:12 am

I’ve never tried Kale Chips before, but they always look so delicious when you make them! Love this new chocolate take! Happy Easter Averie! :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — April 24, 2011 at 5:21 am

WHOA I would have never thrown on cocoa onto the kale but now that i saw the recipe and hear it i think…kale (love) coconut (love) cocoa (love) why the heck would I NOT love this recipe!?

awesome averie!!

I want to wish you a HOPPY easter hehe xo

Bethany — April 24, 2011 at 5:22 am

I love kale chips, but I prefer them just salted because I think kale kinda tastes like broccoli and I love my broccoli. Although, I like to put kale in my soups too.

I’ll have to tell my sister about this recipe. She loves kale chips and coconut so I’m thinking she’ll be all over this.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 24th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

kale is a member of the brassica family, as is broccoli and other cruciferous veggies like brussle sprouts. So it’s not strange you think they taste similar.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 24, 2011 at 5:27 am

I have been saying for the last year that I need to try kale chips. Yet, every time I go to the store, I always forget to buy them!!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — April 24, 2011 at 5:38 am

I love kale chips. I usually top mine with some salt and nutritional yeast. I’m not to sure how I feel about Kale and chocolate. I never though veggies and chocolate could go together. I’m going to take your word for it and try them soon! They look very interesting.

Leslie — April 24, 2011 at 6:21 am

Happy Easter!

I just knew you’d come up with a chocolate kale chip recipe, and these look fantastic! Interesting too, but I’ll believe you when you say these are good. My family and I LOVE your other cheezy kale chip recipe, so I am anxious to try this one too!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel — April 24, 2011 at 6:27 am

HOPPY EASTER !!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 24, 2011 at 6:29 am

Averie these look so good! I’ve only made plain kale chips – spray with nonstick spray and sprinkle salt and pepper on top (tons!), bake in 300 degree oven, flip after 10 minutes and bake until done (usually only 5-7 minutes more). That has worked well for me. I do want to try your cheesey ones as well!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) — April 24, 2011 at 6:35 am

Wow what a great idea! I never would have thought to combine chocolate and kale. My lazy kale chip method is just to coat lightly in oil and salt and then bake, but I love your cheezy kale chips or coating them in hummus and then baking.

Mariah @Apples "N" Oats — April 24, 2011 at 6:44 am

this is genius!!!i haven’t tried salty kale chips yet but they are on my list!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin — April 24, 2011 at 6:49 am

I love kale chips but I always just make them with EVO and salt. I would never have thought to put chocolate and coconut on them, but it sounds amazing!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 24, 2011 at 6:53 am

I LOVE KALE! :D Chocolate kale?! Now THAT is different. They look delicious. I tried making kale chips one time and they pretty much turned to dust when I ate them. I think I did it wrong. :? I recently discovered how much I love raw massage kale salad. I could seriously eat an entire bunch of it at once and have. I buy the pre-cut, pre-washed kale; it’s perfect.

I need to try your homemade Mary’s. They look deeelish. Actually, you have a bunch of things I want to try! Problem is, I can’t make everything you do… bad for submissions, LOL. hahaha :D I need two stomachs and 48 hours in a day so I can eat two of everything.

dragonmamma/naomi — April 24, 2011 at 7:08 am

You’ve never led me astray on food, Averie, but these do NOT tempt me. Sort of like the “green smoothie” concept; the green veggies/sweet-or-chocolate combo does not appeal! (I’ll continue to enjoy the dozens of other great recipes I’ve gotten from you!)

radioactivegan — April 24, 2011 at 7:16 am

Chocolate and kale? That’s just the kind of madness I like! Happy Easter :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 24, 2011 at 7:25 am

now I have seen it all, that is clever! :)

I do like Kale chips, I love roasting them simply with olive oil salt and garlic powder :)

Veronica — April 24, 2011 at 7:30 am

Happy Easter!

My first time trying kale chips was with your Cheezy Kale Chips recipe and they were delicious!!! I used the oven for those first few batches and they turned out fabulous. I bought a dehydrator and can’t wait to try them in that as well. I may have to try the chocolate recipe above.

Thanks for sharing all the recipes and good advice. Glad I stumbled onto your blog.

Amber K — April 24, 2011 at 7:42 am

My husband and I tried kale chips once, but they were awful! I just can’t figure out how to cover up the bitter kale taste. The seasonings tasted amazing, but as we kept chewing the seasonings went away and the kale was left. Blech. But the chocolate version looks delicious!!!!

• Sable@SquatLikeALady replied: — April 24th, 2011 at 9:43 am

This happened to me the first time I made them — I thought they were done but they weren’t. Kath (katheats.com) has a tutorial video up that saved kale chips for me!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 24th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Kath’s video, a good one.

And the problem w/ most kale chips is that they are under seasoned/under coasted IMO so yes, if you dont like kale, the taste is very strong. This choc coating of mine masks all that!

McKella — April 24, 2011 at 7:57 am

I tried kale chips a few months ago and I love them! Straight-up cheesy is my favorite, but these might change my mind.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 24, 2011 at 8:31 am

These kale chips look awesome, great job! And beautiful pictures! So funny that I’m working on a chocolate kale chip recipe too – but different of course. :-)

1. Love them and I love the idea that they can be mostly veggie based and still taste like a less-healthy snack food.
    2. At a Whole Foods raw food fair almost 2 years ago.
    3. Using lots of a gooey, rich sauce.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — April 24, 2011 at 8:40 am

Those chips sound wonderful!!! I ddefinitely want to give them a try!!

Kate — April 24, 2011 at 10:12 am

The first time I tried Kale chips was your Cheezy kale chip recipe. They are so good and I am now a kale lover for life! So thanks :)

hippierunner — April 24, 2011 at 10:33 am

I haven’t tried kale chips yet but this recipe may change my mind! ;) Actually I think I did try making them once a while ago but I cooked them til they were burnt and that has turned me off I guess. I really wanna make some soon though! This recipe looks so yummy!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 24, 2011 at 11:07 am

Happy Easter!! This is an awesome idea…I love chocolate, and I love kale. Though I feel like the chocolate coating would make the post-kale chip teeth even less attractive. Wish it didn’t get stuck in every crevice!!

My kale chip method is simple: just tear it up, spritz with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, then bake till crispy. I haven’t made them in forever though…not sure why!!

Hope Skylar’s enjoying her basket today :)

Stephanie — April 24, 2011 at 11:25 am

I was totally planning on making up my own recipe for chocolate covered kale chips but you beat me to it! Obviously, though, because you’re like the queen of kale chips and balls (that sounds weird. Sorry. HA!).
    Also, since when is kale a boring vegetable? I LOVE KALE! I also love chocolate. I’m going to make these for my friend who loves kale and is intrigued by the idea of kale chips. And maybe even some for me. Bah, who am I kidding, I’ll probably eat them all before I see her (or even talk to her) again, and it will probably be in one sitting. There are worse things.

Ela — April 24, 2011 at 11:26 am

Yay–you’re trying out your shredded coco bucket!

I’m looking forward to trying kale chips. I’ve pretty much decided I need a dehydrator, so maybe I’ll wait till I’ve gotten one–Phil adores crackers and they’re so much harder to make in our little toaster oven than they would be in a dehy…

Demand for “More kale” from Scott? So cool. I’ll have to try them on Phil, that’ll be the day when he asks for more kale…
    Happy Easter!
    love
    Ela

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 24, 2011 at 11:32 am

These look so good Averie! I have to make these!

So Im thinking about getting a vitamix blender. I know you have one and am wondering if you would recommend it? Is it worth the money?

Alison — April 24, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I’m in love with kale chips I could eat it all day! So crazy, I had a dream a couple of nights ago about kale and chocolate because I was thinking of blog names and that came up but wondered if anyone has tried making it. At the movies I brought raw chocolate and kale chips but had them together and it was so good. I love kale, chocolate, and coconut! My 3 must haves! So glad you made them so now I have to try it out. Happy easter!

qdjquxvcg — April 24, 2011 at 12:05 pm

wjxI4o , [url=http://bxpfusoehgps.com/]bxpfusoehgps[/url], [link=http://dshxdrxgicxi.com/]dshxdrxgicxi[/link], http://aoytoshhpqpr.com/

Moni'sMeals — April 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm

wow! a must try these chocolate Kale chips.

btw,I made your no bake chocolate cake balls…whoa! good but CRAZY SWEET! 1-2 is all ya need. :)
    Happy Easter

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 24, 2011 at 1:25 pm

When I saw the initial image in my reader… I just knew you were up to something fantastic. I then said “Ohhhh yes!” when I read the title. Fantastic work, Averie. I cannot wait to try these.

bitt — April 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm

chocolate covered kale seems to be the latest kale chip rage! ever since that company came out with them. i know russell james has a great recipe too for them. do you find the baked chips taste much different than the dehydrated ones? I did some baked ones and I felt they were not as good by a long shot.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 24th, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I have tried those by the company I think we’re both talking about and I like my recipe way better. Theirs was still bitter and something about the choc coating wasn’t rich enough or I dunno..it was lacking for me.

I dont think the baked kale is inferior. If you have 10 hrs to babysit dehyd ones with flipping, checking, etc…I think they are *somewhat* better…but not for 10 hrs more work. I’ll take the 40 min variety…cost/benefit analysis so to speak.

dont even know who russell james is…i think a raw food celebrity?

• bitt replied: — April 24th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I always just throw that sort of thing into the dehydrator overnight and hope for the best, no babysitting for me! Too bad the company skimped out on the chocolate. Glad I didn’t spend the money on them.

Russell James is a British raw chef, you may remember him from Amber’s blog, he was her instructor at 105 degrees.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 24th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Got it on R. James…yes remember the 105 connection now, yes!

They totally skimped on the choc. That is a perfect way to describe it. Totally skimpy. And lots of kale “sticks” in the bag. Worthless and those bags are small. I want leaves, not sticks.

I have a fear of running a heated appliance while I sleep. Call me crazy, I cannot sleep with a hot appliance running for fear of disaster…maybe my little phobia but rather phobic than fire!

• bitt replied: — April 24th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I love the sound of it! Because I love sleeping with a fan on. Someone told me once that it has the energy of a lightbulb and it is basically a fan so I stopped worrying, but I get it. I’ve left the burner on before….not good.

Katie — April 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I prefer baked kale chips to dehydrated for the taste mostly, but also so much easier and faster. I just tear em up, stick them under the broiler and dip in mass quantities of ketchup and mustard. Maye I’ll just make this chocolate sauce and dip them in that instead. ;)

Happy easter!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 24th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

baked to dehyd, yes. As I just told bitt, “If you have 10 hrs to babysit dehyd ones with flipping, checking, etc…I think they are *somewhat* better…but not for 10 hrs more work. I’ll take the 40 min variety…cost/benefit analysis so to speak.”

choc sauce. I have plans already :)

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — April 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm

LOVE THIS!! Love the photos and the Kale Fever and Making Kale Chips Chocolately!!

Your photos are truly rockin’ and we can really see the results from all of the time & energy you put into your equipment, reading about food photography, and just your great eye!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 24th, 2011 at 2:35 pm

thanks for the photo compliments…so far the sites that have reviewed the pictures, have accepted them…so I am really happy about that :) some submissions are still pending, easter sunday and all!

Charissa — April 24, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This is awesome…you’re my type of girl! Love it.

It’s funny, I believe I follow you on Twitter and I see you round the web, but I’m not sure if I’ve come to your site before. (maybe before you changed the appearance?), but it’s beautiful! I know I’ll be back! Lovely stuff! So glad I found you!

Happy Easter!

mi-an — April 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Happy Easter!! Kale is one of my top 3 faves…sweet potatoes and avocados are up there as well! I have made Kale Chips before using your recipe and it was so good!! this is an interesting concept but it’s from you and i must now try it!! x

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — April 24, 2011 at 4:46 pm

You are one brilliant cookie! Chocolate kale chips, YES PLEASE

Jess — April 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I never thought you could combine chocolate + kale. Interesting!!

Happy Easter!

rebecca lustig — April 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm

oh my gosh, seriously? you seriously went there? and did that? you amaze me, woman

Stephanie — April 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Oh my goodness! Those look AMAZING! I’ve only ever made savoury kale chips. What a fantastic idea to coat them in chocolate! I think that pretty much everything tastes better smothered in chocolate.

Erin — April 24, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Hi! Long time lurker here! This is totally random, but I just love your blog! I think youre awesome (Not intended to sound creepy or anything) :)

Suzanne Williams — April 24, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I cannot wait to try these chips. I love chocolate, coconut, agave and kale. This might be a match made in heaven. Thanks!
    Suzanne Williams

ilana — April 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I just rip up enough kale to cover a cookie tray, toss in whatever coating I want, and bake anywhere between 350 and 425 until done..lately I’ve been doing agave&cinnamon for a cinn sugar thing, but I totally have to try this chocolate version…. yum
    xoxo

marla — April 24, 2011 at 8:13 pm

LOVE that first photo!! You have taken Kale Chips to a whole new level with the chocolate. OMG – must try!! Could you please email me your shipping info ’cause you are a winner in my Bard Valley Medjool Dates giveaway. Yay!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I just bought some kale chips from the Whole Foods in NY, but I haven’t tried them yet. They don’t look as good as yours!!! You should start selling your goodies!

Gena — April 24, 2011 at 9:38 pm

What an amazing recipe! My god, chocolate and kale?? It’s like Gena-heaven. Thanks Averie!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — April 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Yes I love kale chips! so far I’ve only made one kind–Mama Pea’s version but modified, with lots of spices mixed in. :) wow that’s a huge tub of coconut!

Jeanette — April 25, 2011 at 4:13 am

I love kale chips, but I would never think to combine them with chocolate, how creative! I love cheezy kale chips and I’ve had coconut kale chips, so why not chocolate and coconut!

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 25, 2011 at 5:39 am

Damn Averie!!! I had thought about making PB covered kale chips before (which I really should just do!), but these are a whole ‘nother level of awesome!!! Hell yes!