Cost of Living

The weather overall has been lovely here the past week.   Mid to high 70s, a couple days in the low 80s, perfectly sunny, no humidity, a slight breeze, just perfect.  Sorry to rub it in for everyone who’s weather hasn’t been great.

But I won’t lie, weather like this is why I pay $4.75 a gallon for gas and deal with exorbitant taxes.  You just can’t put a price tag on this.

Well, you can.  It’s called a high cost of living.  But it’s worth it to me!

Warm weather makes  me want to drink iced coffee.  Or iced coffee with a twist: Chocolate Protein Iced Coffee

I crave lighter, juicier foods when it’s warm outside like tomato, edamame, and cucumber salads.

Vegan Slaw Dressing is my #1 go-to condiment.  Condiment talk was yesterday’s post.

I usually pair my fresh food with some protein, such as Sweet & Sour Honey Lemon Tofu

From my Horsing Around post, it was fun to hear who likes horseradish and also what your favorite condiments are.  Not enough people horsed around though over the weekend judging by the comments.  Darn.

Dessert: No Bake Toffee & Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

1. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

Best thing I ate were No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate TrufflesFor sure.

2. Do you live in an area where the cost of living would be considered low, medium, high?

I think by all standards, Southern California, less than 5 miles from the ocean, would be considered some of the highest cost of living in the country.

3. Would you be willing to trade off certain things in exchange for a higher/lower cost of living?

California is expensive.  Yes, indeed. But, we have great weather, the ocean, progressive-thinking people, and I just love the vibe here.

Oh and 99 cent strawberries count for something

I love where I live and would sacrifice and cut other corners and expenses from our budget in other areas in order to live here.

I learned the hard way that just because real estate in Phoenix is cheap compared to San Diego, it didn’t mean that the cheaper housing and cheaper cost of living was worth it, for me.  Everything was cheaper from gas to groceries to taxes, but I was extremely unhappy.  You can read about the whole story, here and why we only lasted 9 months before moving back to San Diego.  Our forever home.

So, I’d rather pay more and live where I want to live, and love it, even if that means a higher cost of living and other sacrifices and trade-offs need to be made.

Do you like where you live?  What things would you sacrifice or trade off?

I would never sacrifice cheaper rent for snow.  Or the desert.  Ever again. I would work three jobs in order to afford to stay in So Cal!

Enjoy your week!

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

70 Responses to “Cost of Living”

MarkH — April 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Life’s definitely more about living than cost. So just like with food, I think it’s worth that little bit more cost if it means greater enjoyment. There’s no need to go crazy and be extravagant or go beyond your means, but a little reshuffle for a more pleasurable day – always worthwhile :-)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — April 5, 2011 at 12:47 am

study abroad coast of living is pretty steep these days…but I’m in for the best 5 months of my life! Also, me want cuke-eda-tom salad NOW!

mimiforfitness — April 5, 2011 at 1:49 am

Your place really looks beautiful. I think you’re right, its worth all the taxes and every penny you’ve spent for a nice and comfortable place.

Sue @ Sue In Training — April 5, 2011 at 2:07 am

I’m totally jealous! I’d love to live in SoCal, too! $4.75 a gallon for gas?! Make that $8 and your close to what gas costs in Germany! We spend about $200 every month only on gas, as I have a long commute to work.
    The cost of living in my area is low to medium, I think. I live in the middle of nowhere, everything that would be fun is a 30-60 min drive away, which we can’t afford very often (see gas price above).
    I’d love to live somewhere else, but we’re totally broke, so we can’t afford to live anywhere else at the moment. We can’t cut any more corners, we hardly ever go out or shop for clothes, we don’t travel, I go to the hairdresser 3-4 times a year(!), etc. I probably should look for a second job, but I already spend 50+ hours per week on my first one (commute included).
    So I’ll just have to accept my current location for a few more years, and keep hoping that our financial situation might get better one day.

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — April 5, 2011 at 4:44 am

I would definitely pay more to live in a place like that! It looks like paradise everyday. I think Boston has a medium-high cost of living. What for? 6 months of cold and snow? I watch House Hunters on HGTV all the time and when they show a couple or single person looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom, 2 bath, big yard that is less that what I pay for a 1 bedroom condo, I get ticked! How does that work? I don’t get it.

BellaStella — April 5, 2011 at 7:31 am

Oh my gosh! Just looking at that iced coffee made my heart rate jump! I still need the hot brew out here on the east coast but I can’t wait for warmer weather so I can switch over to the cold stuff! We recently moved for my FH’s job and even though I don’t like the new location at all, it’s not where but who you’re with (DMB :)) that matters more to me, so I guess I’m still pretty blessed.

Beth — April 5, 2011 at 7:32 am

Ah taxes, always a joy ;)

I was eating lighter and increasing my high water content foods over the weekend as it was sunny and warm. We are now in our 2nd day of rain and cool weather, so the oven and stove are getting a work out.

Cost of living: I would say medium. I know there are other areas of the country where it is much more expensive.

I do love where I live. We get the joy of all 4 seasons, and a variety of activities to go with it. However, every time I have to leave Barbados I think “can’t I just stay here”? Although I love visiting, I’m not sure if I could handle the heat and humidity 12 months of the year. It is also different to visit / vacation somewhere, than to live & work there.

Thanks for posting all of those wonderful pictures of flowers, blooms, and scenery. On a deary day like today, it really picks me up :)

dani — April 5, 2011 at 9:18 am

I was born and raised in the DC area. The cost of living is definitely higher and while I love it here…I wish I lived someplace warm by the beach!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini — April 5, 2011 at 10:02 am

The cost of living isn’t too bad in Austin.. And the weather is wonderful most of the time! I love love love this city!!! So many wonderful things to do – whether it be swimming in one of the natural water holes on the Green Belt, checking out some live music on 6th street, or eating at any of the tasty veggie-friendly restaurants around town! :D

Sarah Anne — April 5, 2011 at 6:56 pm

My husband and I live in Vancouver, BC, where we pay 1.35 per liter (over 5 a gallon), pay ridiculous rent and the cost of food and clothes is just outrageous. HOWEVER – we LOVE it here! I completely know what you mean Averie! Within 30 minutes I can hit mountains, lakes, forest or gorgeous beaches. My quality of life is so great here, with lots of alternatives for food, great weather and the ability to walk everywhere. I’ll take it, even if we have to scrimp and save with some things. It’s worth it to us and we tell everyone we know the same!

Amber K — April 5, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I’m not really sure how living near Portland, OR compares to the rest of the country, but I was born and raised here so I feel a sense of attachment. I have always wished that I lived somewhere where the weather was better, but I don’t think I could ever leave a place where I feel so at home.

samuel — April 7, 2011 at 9:34 am