Creating The Perfect Snack Bar

Last week I was excited to find five bars from VixiBar in the mail.

Let’s take a closer drool look at the flavors: Chocolate Macaroon, Peppermint Patty, Pumpkin Pie

PB & J and PB Cup

The bars for size comparison are about the size of a Larabar.  They are not big bars so if you’re looking for a big bar in terms of size, these are not it.  However, they have great stats and nutrition and are “big” in that regard.   They do contain whey so they are not vegan, but they are gluten free and pack a whopping 12 g’s of protein.

Also, there is no sugar added, and they are Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Lactose-Free, non-GMO, and a good source of fiber.

Well what you really want to know is how do they taste?  Well, they’re great!  They are flavorful, they taste like what the packaging says they are supposed to taste like, and they are moist.  I hate dry food.  As Kath says, not worth my chew. And these bars are not dry or cardboardy in the least.

I thought it would be fun to show some of my recipes that are similar to the five VixiBar flavors I received:

1. Chocolate Macaroons (Raw, Vegan, GF, can make in oven or dehydrator)

2. Peppermint Patties (No Bake, Vegan, GF)

3. Pumpkin Pie (No Bake, Vegan, GF)

4. PB & J Flavor.  See my Peanut Butter Recipes Post for tons of recipes containing PB.

How about No Bake Nutter Butter Special K Bars with Chocolate Frosting instead of PB & J

Or Raw Vegan Peanut Butter Vanilla Balls (can also use Sunflower Seed Butter, AB, etc.)

You could roll these into the shape of a bar rather than balls, add a dollop of jelly to the recipe, and pretend you’re eating a PB & J Vixibar or Larabar

5.  Peanut Butter Cups (Raw, Vegan, GF)

So there you have it, a recipe of mine for each flavor.

Or just make your own Snack Bars: No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars (Vegan, GF, coconut oil protein powder optional)

From my last post on Table Talk & Craigstlist Deals, I am glad you liked my new table!  A reader pointed out that the table is actually from Ikea and she has the same one.  So if you love the table, Ikea to the rescue.

And I’m happy that so many of you are into CL and Ebay.  Woo-hoo for saving money.  Or selling off what you don’t need or have a use for any longer and not only making someone else happy, but making your own wallet a little happier.

1. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

I loved my day with Skylar on Saturday.  We had great weather, time at the park, and lots of smiles and happy times.

2. Do you make your own energy bars?

If not, what are you waiting for?  So easy and cheap to do it, plus you get to control what goes in them.  For me, that’s extra peanut butter, no added nuts, an extra chocolate chips.

Of course, having a premade bar already made up nd all packaged up is nice, I know, I know.

3. If you could create you perfect snack/energy/protein/granola bar, what would it have in it?

Speak now, please, because I am going to use this for recipe development!

My bar would probably have:

oats

chocolate chips

peanut or sunflower seed butter

raisins

dried cherries or blueberries

dates

agave

white chocolate

no added nuts or seeds

And who knows what else…

What are some of the ingredients in your perfect bar?

If you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

58 Responses to “Creating The Perfect Snack Bar”

chocolate-covered katie — April 18, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Ingredients in my perfect snack bar? Hmmm… chocolate.

And oh yeah, more chocolate.
    ;)

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — April 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm

those bars sound SO GOOD!.. i LIKE!
    mine would include dates,,, chocolate, peanut butter!!!

CAROLINE — April 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I threw together some stuff last weekend and made my own bars; turns out, my fiance LOVED them. I was so excited and surprised b/c I didn’t think he’d care for them (since they are “healthy!”) I used 2 cups of organic bran cereal, little bit of TJ’s oats (the barley, rye, wheat combo), frozen wild blueberries, 2 small ripe bananas, chia seeds, little unsweetened cocoa powder, big scoop of vanilla whey protein, some almond milk and 2 egg whites (is that weird?) to mix it all together. Baked it for 30 mins. It is sooo good … and can u believe, NO added sugar? It was sooo sweet though! I was pretty proud of myself :)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) — April 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Wow these are the perfect little snack bars! Mine would have chocolate chips and pb for sure. Best thing I ate all weekend was my sister in law’s oreo pie! Omg amazing :D Loving the vanilla balls :D

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Those look fantastic. I swear I could buy things like that all the time if they weren’t so pricey. They are almost like condiments in a way. So many cool brands to try ;-) I have made my own energy and protein bars. Love doing that sort of thing b/c I know what’s in them first off.

Free Valuable Anti-Aging Tips and Secrets — April 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh yeah, all is looking so great! They must taste great. I think, I will start making my own energy bars.

The good thing is if they look good, taste good and help you to stay young at the same time!

Over the weekend I got enough sleep, enjoyed the sun and bought me a lot of new clothes, what makes me happy!

Lauren — April 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

These bars sound great although your recipes seem more appealing. Best thing I ate this weekend-pickles and olives (it was a salty day) at the Farmers Market.

Christina — April 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Chocolate and peanut butter for sure. That combo is unstoppable for me. Love your blog :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Yum– I’m with you about loving the chew!

julie — April 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm

my weekend was so boring! we didn’t even go out to eat once :( boooo. haha i know so i guess the best thing i ate all weekend wasssss hmm my turkey burger salad from last night! i wish i had another one for tonight. dammit haha

i think i’d like your bars better then these anyday

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I don’t make granola bars too often — but I have made your no bake protein bars before and they were really good! I guess I don’t eat granola bars too often?

Those vixibars look really good! I haven’t heard of them before. I just checked their website and it looks like larabars with protein powder added. Good to hear they aren’t dry, I’m with you on not liking dry food either!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA — April 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I made my own bars last year but I had a liiiittle problem with portion control :O

Lauren — April 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Mmmmm my perfect bar has peanut butter, chocolate, brown rice puffs, some kind of vanilla flavor, maybe some kind of banana product like banana chips!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I buy the prepackaged ones mainly because they’re easier to transport! Even if I wrap mine up all nice and pretty, they’re generally not as sturdy as the ready-made ones. Plus, that way I get more variety!

Ideal bar would include plenty of protein and chocolate flavor in a relatively large size. I hate that the only bars you can usually find for under 300 calories are the size of my finger. I’m not all about calories, but if I’m going to eat that many calories for a snack it better have volume!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Since being in college, I RARELY eat bars. Weird, I know! My apartment is so central that I stop back home between classes and grab an actual snack/meal when I’m hungry. But these bars do look like a great choice! And, of course, your homemade variations would definitely win me over!

My mix? oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, cashews, raisins, dried cranberries… I’m sure my list could go on as well. ;)

Stephanie — April 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I’m always in awe of your gorgeous food pictures! Those Special K photos are bee-you-tee-ful. I love protein bars with peanut butter and something crunchy/crispy.

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses — April 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm

The chocolate macaroon bar looks PERFECT!!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm

First off you’re killing me with the PB cups – I’m too lazy to make them today but they look sooo good! :)

Great Q re bars I think my favorite would have, chocolate, raisins, oats, PB, cashews, and blueberries

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm

My perfect snack bar would definitely include agave and dates!

Also, I just made your Chocolate Covered Oreo balls and they are so good! I just talked about it in my post…

Have a great night!

Emma — April 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Woah girlie! That pecan pie looks to die for! I made some bars last week and they were yummy – figs, almonds, dates, sour cherries, cinammon, PB. So nice :-)

Red Deception — April 18, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I love the idea of peppermint patties, but I can’t handle eating coconut! Can you think of a substitute that may work?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 18th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

shortening, butter, something fatty and dense and then add powdered sugar and peppermint extract.

no one said these were “healthy”…they’re just make-at-home. :)

Lynnette — April 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I have been wanting to try Vixi Bars but haven’t been able to find them anywhere.
    By the way, your recipe pictures look DELICIOUS!

Michelle Wood — April 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Love your blog! I REALLY need to get into making my own protein and energy bars. I really love them but the good ones are always so expensive. Mine would definitely have chocolate, oats, possibly some mint.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I’m pretty happy if a homemade bar has chocolate in it! :-) Although I actually rarely add chocolate to my bars for some reason.

Ally (oatsandspice) — April 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Oh my gosh where can I find those vixi bars? I am kind of drooling over the flavors – they look to-die-for! I love how you have a recipe to match every one :) YUM!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — April 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm

WANT! I am so begging for a sample from those guys when I once again grace American soil.

Here’s what I’d stuff in my Bad-Ass Bar of Awesome:

– Dark chocolate
    – Peanut/sunbutter
    – Macadamia nuts
    – Dates/prunes
    – Dried blueberries
    – Cinnamon
    – Coconut Oil
    – Coconut Nectar

Haha, we actually have pretty similar tastes. Sweet tooths unite! Hmm…I wish I had cardamom on me. I want to make a chocolate-peanut butter-cardamom-cinnamon flavor bar right now!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — April 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm

those vixi bars look soooo good!!!! especially the Chocolate macaroon!!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I would put PB, apricots, and coconut in a bar.

Or coffee, coconut and chocolate.

Or chocolate and bacon.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 18, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Vixi, huh? I’ve never heard of them! I love making my own energy bars – runners repairs are my ultimate favorite.

Mastering Public Health (@MasPublicHealth) — April 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Uh oh — I think this is your cue that you need to create something peanut-butter-and-jelly! *Drools.* Maybe a PB & J “ball” with chopped (dried?) cherries for “jelly”? Hmm….

Mariah @Apples "N" Oats — April 18, 2011 at 7:43 pm

i had an awesome time relaxing on the beach! I have recently started making my own “larabars”…i like the peanut butter, chocolate chips, almond mixture

marla — April 18, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I have never heard of vixi bars – they are sounding awesome though. Have not made my own bars in some time. Been living on that date cake though. Power bar cake :)

lynn @ the actor's diet — April 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm

pumpkin pie bar?!? i have never heard of these bars – how is this possible?!?

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) — April 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Best thing I did this weekend? Garden! I’m a novice, but I turned a few wooden wine crates into a cozy home for fruits and vegetables. Wish we had sunny San Diego weather on the East Coast, but we’ll see how my planting project works out…

Katie — April 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

My perfect bar would be one that was homemade….by someone that isn’t me. I’m not into them enough to bother making them. But, if somwone were to make them for me…I’d be all over them.

With sunflower seed butter, chocolate, and maybe some maple. Or mint and chocolate. Or coffee and chocolate. I think I’m starting to see a pattern here.

Gina — April 18, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Those bars sound divine! I’m always looking for tasty GF bars because I’m always on the go!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — April 18, 2011 at 10:12 pm

one of the best things I ate was earl grey tea cupcakes!! with delicate lemon frosting! ahhhhh. :D these sound good Averie!

Char — April 19, 2011 at 7:35 am

I made some awesome sweet potato quesadillas last night – I know it’s not from the weekend, but pretty close!

I would LOVE an energy bar with tons of PB! I might try and attempt making one today that has hemp seeds – I meant to make it yesterday…oops!

lauren @ spiced plate — April 19, 2011 at 7:46 am

yum…i love when bars are sweetened with dates…i love dates in general. both the fruit and going out on dates ;) (with my husband, of course!)

Amber K — April 19, 2011 at 8:03 am

I have made my own bars, and I have to agree that peanut butter and chocolate definitely have to be involved!

Sherri Ogg — April 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

I made these No Bake Nutter Butter Special K bars and actually had to kick my hubby and all 6 kids out of the kitchen until the bars set up. The verdict: DELICIOUS!! There were more ooh’s and aah’s than at a firework display. My whole house is chocolate and pb lovers, hubby even sneaks down for a midnight snack of a spoonful of pb. Love your blog and am anxious to try the tofu recipes.

kate@ahealthypassion — April 19, 2011 at 9:24 am

Lovee coconut and chocolate definitely some nut butter would be my perfect bar!

Beth — April 19, 2011 at 10:33 am

I make your No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars for my husband all the time. I switch up what goes in by what we have on hand. If we are out of chocolate chips, then they turn out more like a pumpkin pie bar.

We used to make our own Lara bars, but have gotten out of the habit. Probably time to rectify that and keep some of our hard earned money ;)

Perfect bar: I’m thinking a mango bar would be amazing.

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Those bars look fantastic, and I’d have a hard time picking between those flavors! :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Yum on the bars! Sweet protein amount for the bars too! Great recipe inspiration.

1. Still the asparagus festival. :-)
    2. I’ve made energy balls, do they count? :-)
    3. Lots of protein, hemp seeds and fruit I think.

Jane — April 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I’ve heard about these bars, but not tried them yet – thanks for the heads up on them. As for the recipes……drooling