Easter Baskets & Celebrating

I was at Target last week and picked up some Easter Basket Items for Skylar

I thought this “dress me up” felt basket was cute

Nice shades, chick.

I went a bit unique this year and went for a brown, more life-like rather than the cartoony white ones.

Socks and a sparkly Dora pretend cell phone.

Hopefully no one steals her phone.

After I came home, I realized I didn’t buy her any candy!  Craft-making gifts took a front seat to candy and I skipped the jelly beans and Peeps.

Her grandma sent her some Peeps in the mail though.  So we’ve got the sugar covered. If you happen to want to make Smores out of Peeps, check out Jenn’s post.

If you need Easter Meal Ideas, I have no idea what to tell you because I’m not cooking one!

We are a blended religious household and aren’t really celebrating Easter nor Passover.  They’re nice holidays and I love the message in both, but we’re not doing anything special like church, temple, family get togethers (they all live 2000+ miles away), or special meals or food.  Unless jelly beans count.  The Easter Bunny may bring some of those. And yes, the Easter Bunny is coming.

I bet the Easter Bunny would like Roasted Coconut Ginger & Peanut Butter CarrotsBunnies like carrots, right?

The peanut butter caramelizes when baked and gives these carrots a great flavor.  Bunny approved.

From my last post, Spruce it Up & Dippy, thanks for sharing your fave dips of late.  And for letting me know what, if anything, you do to spruce up your water.

1. If you celebrate Easter, do you have any childhood memories or family traditions?  Did you get Easter baskets?

I would wake up on Easter morning to foil-covered chocolate eggs scattered all over the steps and floors, in a trail, that led to an Easter basket with more chocolate, candy, stickers, and little “stocking stuffer” type items.

The best part was not actually eating the chocolate (shocking!) but going around and putting all those chocolate eggs in a basket and finding the ones that were hidden behind furniture or in random places.  The thrill of the hunt.

2. Do you celebrate Easter or Passover?

I have posted before Here and Here about our half and half household.   We are raising Skylar with love and kindness and hoping to shape her into a wonderful person who cares about others and the world around her.  We don’t label her, and I don’t label myself, as a true practicing member of any one religion.  We are spiritual without following the tenets of any one religion.

3. Do you have any plans for the Easter Weekend?

In addition to working, we have been invited to a few events that take place outside that we hope to attend.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

58 Responses to “Easter Baskets & Celebrating”

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — April 21, 2011 at 2:06 am

You got Skylar some awesome stuff! I love the bunny– I always preferred lifelike stuffed animals as a kid.

I love Easter! I have a lot of fond memories celebrating at my grandparents’ house. There’d be the standard baskets, easter egg hunts, dyed eggs, etc. It was the one day of the year when I didn’t put up a fight about getting dragged to Mass. I had a turbulent childhood because my parents’ divorced shifted me around a lot. It was nice to just have a time when I was with my family. I also love the feeling of spring!

Laura@keepinghealthygettingstylish — April 21, 2011 at 2:12 am

I love Easter but I have a much stronger connection to the nature based origins of the celebration than the Christian meaning – although I was very much brought up with church on Easter sunday and of course chocolate eggs! I now feel better celebrating the spring and new life! At the moment I’m trying to figure out which vegan recipes I can make to take to Easter lunch that all the family will enjoy and of course I’m using your blog for inspiration ;-)

Sue @ Sue In Training — April 21, 2011 at 2:51 am

As a kid, our family’s traditions included looking for Easter NESTS (not baskets) that had been hidden in the house or in the garden. I enjoyed the hunt just as much as the chocolate. Later, as a teen, Easter included going to church, as I was a member of the church choir.
    Today we don’t celebrate Easter anymore, as we are not a religious household at all, and we don’t have small kids either. But I will dye some eggs and put them in a nest on our dining table, that’s a must!
    Our plans for the Easter weekend include chilling on the couch (yeah!), enjoying the sunny weather (finally!), and having brunch with some friends on Easter Monday.

allison — April 21, 2011 at 3:02 am

I feel so bad about your phone being stolen:(:( I had my purse stolen from CHURCH when i was helping out with a kids program!!! The purse and everything in it (which included my iphone!!) was worth over $400 bucks but fortunately my purse and most of the stuff was found a day later in a trash can. Of course my iphone and cash was gone but i got back my keys and license (and gorgeous purse!) But you do really feel violated that it could happen:(

My grandmothers would always buy me so much candy lol which was nice since my parents got us “useful” stuff for eater baskets which was smart for them but not as fun for a kid.

Naomi — April 21, 2011 at 3:13 am

ohh you know me and passover! luckily because of my competition prep…it isn’t at ALL that hard to keep since I load up on veggies and protein for the most part and quinoa and sweet potato both passover friendly! the only other thing I am eating is oats, but I have a feeling next week that will be taken out anyways (week before show diet…oh boy I can’t wait for that!)

I love all of the easter colors of everything! the pastels make me smile so much! and PEEPS! omg they are so good haha

xoxox

cathy/kiki — April 21, 2011 at 3:19 am

love your choices of easter treats for skylar! my nieces would just adore that dora phone – dora + sparkles?? total winner!
    oh, i loved easter as a child! my parents hid our treats (a mix of chocolate + other little fun items) and like you, the hunting was the best part! i have fond memories of family get-togethers.
    one tradition that still lives on is that my mom bakes “paska,” a special easter bread. it always turns out best when the weather is sunny and warm…not going to be like that this year, but it will still be delicious!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes — April 21, 2011 at 3:26 am

I love easter! I’m having a BBQ on Easter Sunday which will no doubt include lots of baking too. :D

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 21, 2011 at 3:56 am

My brothers and I used to each have our own Easter basket that my mom would hide every year and we’d have to search the house to find. I LOVED it!!! Skylar’s basket is so cute, and what an adorable cell phone. I used to be obsessed with play cell phones when I was little haha!

Jessica @ How Sweet — April 21, 2011 at 4:06 am

My parents STILL hide eggs for us to find AND we still get Easter baskets. It’s fun!! ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 21, 2011 at 4:29 am

Oh my gosh, I used to get SO, SO excited about my Easter basket!! Looks like you picked up some great stuff for Skylar!

dragonmamma/naomi — April 21, 2011 at 4:34 am

These days all I make are “adult” Easter baskets. I’ve got roasted, seasoned packs of nuts and some cool kitchen stuff from Cost-plus World Market: multi-colored chop-sticks, mini-plates and DVDs.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 21, 2011 at 5:16 am

What is it with grandmas and marshmallows? My mom introduced them to my niece and nephew. Peeps come in all kinds of crazy colors and for all holidays now. Back in my day…..LOL We’ll eat lunch with the family, just “because.” But no church services. I’m sure we’ll watch the kiddos hunt eggs several times ;-)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 21, 2011 at 5:22 am

My parents always did a candy hunt for us all over our house. It was the best, except my older brother would knock me out of the way and get WAY more candy than me, so my parents would keep extras and even it out. Ha. The joy of having multiple kids. I have friends that still get Easter baskets, and I can’t say I’m not super jealous. We always go to church on Easter Sunday, too. My 91 year old grandfather volunteered to sing in the choir this year, and I kind of can’t wait to see it :)

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — April 21, 2011 at 5:35 am

Im celebrating easter with my family this year. I wish they had easter baskets like that when I was a kid. I would be happy with just that! So fun!

I use to love Easter candy. Jelly beans were my favorite.

The Teenage Taste — April 21, 2011 at 5:46 am

I love the Easter season! Both the faith aspect and the seasonal, family togetherness aspect. It’s such a happy time! :-D

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 21, 2011 at 6:06 am

I love the stuff you found for Skylar — I need to find those playdough chicks for my niece! She’d love those.

Yes we have always celebrated Easter — usually it just means church Sunday morning and then a big brunch meal, then play games/watch movies for the rest of the day. Now it has turned into a day of going from my parents’ to Jason’s mom’s to his dad’s. Sometimes I wish we would just stay home and celebrate alone.

I am totally going to make Jenn’s peep smores. They are so cute!

Christine @ Merf In Progress — April 21, 2011 at 6:23 am

Yes, we celebrate Easter. My son is too young to understand the true meaning of Easter, but he knows it’s about Jesus filling the world with hope and life.

I got J’s easter basket yesterday. It’s tough to find boyish Easter things, so I went to A.C. Moore and got a plain wicker basket. I got that little paper grass stuff for it, an activity book, some eggs to put some candy in, one of those tiny plant-your-own-basil thingies, gardening gloves, and bubbles. Can’t wait!

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — April 21, 2011 at 6:30 am

We always got easter baskets as kids…and still do now lol. My mom always buys me like 5 boxes of peeps because they are my FAVORITE!!

McKella — April 21, 2011 at 6:47 am

I excited to have a little girl of my own to buy cute Easter stuff for! I celebrated Easter growing up. I have a big extended family, so we’d get together somewhere for a picnic and all the kids would get Easter baskets full of treats and toys and then we’d have an egg hunt. We used to hunt actual eggs and we’d decorate “people eggs”, or eggs decorated like people or animals, but now we do plastic eggs with candy or something in them.

Jen @keepitsimplefoods — April 21, 2011 at 6:57 am

OMG I love all the colorful Easter stuff at Target! Looks like you got some goodies! So fun! :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 21, 2011 at 7:11 am

I love that felt basket I’m sure Skylar will have fun dressing it up :)

we’re not religious either so I’m glad to have firends coming into town for awedding that are going to go out to eat with us :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — April 21, 2011 at 7:14 am

I’m not a fan of cooked carrots… but OMG your sound so good! You may have converted me. :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 21, 2011 at 7:19 am

omg those carrots look delicious! We’re not really big into Easter. If my parents didn’t live so close we probably wouldn’t celebrate it at all. But, my mom is big into having the family come over for dinner, so we’ll do that on Saturday night. Kevin and I usually take off for the weekend – to Banff, Lake Louise, or Radium… but it’s just so darn expensive so we opted out this year. I want to try and go to the mountains on Sunday though, it’s so peaceful there!

rawkinmom — April 21, 2011 at 7:20 am

I just wrote a post about what I am putting in my kids Easter baskets……:)
    I am noticing thats the common theme right now among bloggers!! I love how we all think so much alike!!! LOL

Katie — April 21, 2011 at 7:29 am

We always got baskets. In fact, I think I was still getting them a couple years ago. And my mom (ahem, the easter bunny) hid them when I was still in college. She didn’t want her kids to grow up.

Allison @ Happy Tales — April 21, 2011 at 7:42 am

When I was little I’d get little stuffed animals and plastic easter eggs in my basket. My family was never big on the whole candy thing, and it still amazes me how much people get into the candy at this time of year! I actually haven’t even had one piece yet (not on purpose though… i love me some reecee eggs, just haven’t been able to shell out the money for ‘em!). Anywho, since I’m not going “home” (whatever that is…) for Easter, I’ll be staying in town and spending the day with Ryan! We don’t have anything special planned, but I’m sure it’ll be a relaxing day!

Buy oem software — April 21, 2011 at 8:09 am

There is noticeably a lot to realize about this. I consider you made various good points in features also.

Amber K — April 21, 2011 at 8:12 am

I celebrate Easter and I will be teaching my same Sunday school class in the morning like usual. Adorable little 3-year-olds. well, some of them ;) Saturday will be just as busy though because it’s my nephew’s birthday party! I can’t believe he just turned five!

I do remember getting Easter baskets when I was young. We always spent Easter with family and my Grandma always did up these huge baskets with bubbles, toys, a little candy and then we would do an Easter egg hunt. And then my brother and I would spend the rest of the day rehiding the plastic eggs over and over for one another.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 21st, 2011 at 12:50 pm

“Adorable little 3-year-olds. well, some of them :)” — isn’t that the truth..ha!

• Amber K replied: — April 21st, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Oh it’s SUCH a fun age. lol

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) — April 21, 2011 at 8:18 am

That Easter basket is the cutest thing ever! My mom use to give me little stuffed bunnies and chocolates but not anymore :(

Beth — April 21, 2011 at 8:22 am

We used to do an Easter Egg hunt and the ones we found made up the bulk of our Easter Basket – although we did each get a small chocolate bunny and a small toy of some kind.

Since I no longer live with my parents I don’t really celebrate the religious aspect of Easter. It has been a time for family to get together, share a meal, and be together. This year is the first year we are not travelling for Easter.

Easter weekend plans: working at the paintball field. Good thing Monday is a holiday from work so I can catch up on food prep, laundry and maybe have some “down time”.

kristina@beancakes — April 21, 2011 at 8:29 am

oh yes, we always got easter baskets, and our family tradition was coloring eggs, honey baked ham and freshly baked bread, it was glorious! this year, we’re headed over to my in-laws, should be a lot of fun!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 21, 2011 at 8:37 am

Skylar will love her Easter basket!

When I was little I would wake up in the morning and my Easter basket was hidden somewhere in the house (by the Easter bunny) and I had to find it. It was so much fun!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 21, 2011 at 8:53 am

We actually don’t make a big deal out of a lot of holidays. My husband isn’t any one religion either and I was raised in a very religious household but we never did holidays in the traditional sense. Anything we did do was very solemn. Part of me want to have the fun of the holidays but then part of me just doesn’t want to do anything at all. Plus, like you said the thrill of hunting and finding the eggs is more fun that actually eating the candy. What’s wrong with having a “easter egg” hunt any other time of year, instead of now when it has religious significance. I dunno, I’m still figuring a lot of this out for myself because I was always told what to do and never really thought about it. Now I have to decide how I feel about everything. Skylar will love all her stuff :D As long as she has fun, that’s all that matters.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — April 21, 2011 at 9:03 am

“I thought this “dress me up” felt basket was cute.” – She’s going to love that!! I know I would have as a little girl.
    “We are a blended religious household and aren’t really celebrating Easter nor Passover.” – Same here… My Mom asked me what I was doing for Easter and was pretty sad I wasn’t making a big dinner… Why?? lol. Mom.
    Although I don’t celebrate Easter now, I have very fond memories of being a kiddo & searching for dyed eggs, candy & stocking stuffer type things. My brother & I would RUN all over the yard and house trying to get more items than the other. I also remember having wonderful brunches with my whole family (that my Dad cooked). Easter was always a big deal… and fun :) …def good memories.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — April 21, 2011 at 9:04 am

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 21st, 2011 at 12:52 pm

this part: My Mom asked me what I was doing for Easter and was pretty sad I wasn’t making a big dinner… Why?? lol. Mom.

I know…ppl get so “attached” to their version of the holiday and if you dont do it, they feel sad/bad about it…even when YOU dont!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — April 21, 2011 at 9:05 am

Somehow my comment posted twice :l …sorry ’bout that.

Sam@I Tell Stories — April 21, 2011 at 9:31 am

I loved the chocolate easter egg hunt and decorating eggs with my grandpa :)

I just bought alot of sugar and presents for my nieces and nephews. :P

Stephanie — April 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Haha I love the bunny you got her! It kind of reminds me of the bunny I had when I was younger. Speaking of bunnies and jellybeans, one year I didn’t get any orange jellybeans in my Easter basket and when I went down to check on my bunny (who I called bunny most of the time, but she was hot chocolate and marshmallows in the winter), I kid you not, her lips were bright orange.
    I agree that the hunt was much better than actually eating the eggs. The Easter bunny used to give us those big Kinder eggs (and some other little things, and then a little gift thing like some mags or books, or perfume, or toys, or whatever. One year we got bikes, though!) and putting those together was way better than eating the chocolate egg itself. Then we’d go to my nonna’s house for Easter dinner. I’m really sad though, because this year will be the second year that I’ll be away from home for Easter, though at least last year we celebrated it before I left. Last year I was in Italy over Spring break so I guess it wasn’t that bad, but this year I’m in Vancouver studying for finals. Bru-tal.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Cute Easter loot.

1. We got Easter baskets, but no where near the amount of candy in them my nieces and nephew get today. The best memory for me was camping over Easter and finding goodies outside the tent.
    2. Yes, Easter.
    3. Just a gathering at my sisters, pretty casual.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — April 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm

The Carrots look great!

emily (a nutritionist eats) — April 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I just bought some TJ goodies for my honey’s easter basket (he is 31 so he gets things like pretzels, nuts and ginger snaps!)

This year it is just the two of us and we are not very religious so nothing special! (I’m looking forward to a low-key weekend at home!)

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm

My Easter memories definitely consist of eating enough Cadbury cream eggs to make myself practically barf, lol!! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Awww, Skylar’s Easter goodies look so cute! I always liked the toys in my baskets more than the candy. But the candy was good, too. You make her special treats all the time, she doesn’t need Easter candy to be reminded how sweet mommy thinks she is! :)

I’m not a religious person, but I like to celebrate for the food and decorations. My Easter memories from childhood involve chocolate bunnies and cooking (as usual) and going to the bakery; my grandma would buy me a traditional Italian Easter egg bread. It’s a loaf of braided bread with a colored hard-boiled egg in it. I never ate it but loved the colors. I think all of my holiday memories come back to FOOD! LOL :roll:

Thanks for the linky love! <3

cat — April 21, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I bought the monkey basket for my daughter. I am glad to see you don’t load up on candy either. Bitty(nickname) is allergic to corn, almonds, eggs, and oats sooo that leaves out most precessed food and almost all candy, even the organic ones. Holidays with candy are so hard but at the same time i am happy to have an excuse to change the sugary tradition.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

I got an Easter basket as a child. It was always hidden somewhere in the house and I had to search for it. It was so much fun!!!