Forgotten Food

It’s been almost a year that we’ve been back in San Diego after nine less-than-stellar months in Phoenix.  Imagine my surprise when our old realtor gave Scott two packages when Scott was in Phoenix on a recent business trip.  Apparently our realtor had collected the mail shortly after we moved but forgot to tell us about it.  Ooops.

What was in the box #1?

Kale Chips from Blue Mountain Organics

The Nutty Cheezy and the Cheezy both had a good flavor and I would have loved them even more a year ago, no doubt.

Slightly stale and lots of dust crumbs at the bottom of the bag, but what do you expect after a year. Ironically the expiration date was 4-11-11 so I was reunited with, and ate these, just in time.

The chocolate kale chips rocked!  Crumbs and all.

How could coconut oil, cocoa power, and agave not be great?  I need to recreate these at home.

I love my kale chip recipe but chocolate could make everything so much more interesting. Like dessert chips.

Box #2 contained these Bora Bora bars.

A little sticky and gummy but not a biggie.  Perfect for snacks on the go or lunches.

I have reviewed Bora Bora bars in the past but if you don’t have access to them, make your own snack bars.

Some make-at-home ideas….

No-Bake Vegan Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Energy Bars (with protein option) – Vegan, GF, freezer-friendly, fast

Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter and Oat Snack Bars (Vegan, GF, 5 minutes to make)

Or Homemade Granola (Vegan, GF, 20 minutes to make)

Or you can always make a Biggie Microwave Banana Oat Cakes (Vegan, GF, 3 minutes to make) and let it cool and wrap it in plastic wrap or a baggie and treat it like a snack bar.

From my last post on the food styling and photography workshop I went to, thanks for letting me know you enjoyed that post!  I am glad you enjoyed my photography tips, and all 40+ pictures. As I said in the post, it was an amazing day.  A life-changing, perspective-changing day and I wanted to document it, well.

Many of you said you could hear and feel the enthusiasm in my post and yes, I seriously just so happy and feel like a whole new world has opened for me.  It was great to read what workshops, events, or single days in time really changed and moved you and why. Thanks for sharing your stories!

So far, I submitted my Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich photos…

and Tastespotting accepted this one

And Foodgawker accepted this image

Lately when I submit to these sites, I usually submit two images so the editors have a choices, and it’s interesting what one site will accept, another will pass on.  Case in point, the rice pudding with raisins.  FG took it, TS passed.

Or in the case of the grilled portobella sandwich, they accepted different photos.  Figures. Just makes it even more tricky to figure out what each site, and the editor-du-jour, looks for.

1. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

My workshop!  Which will likely be the “best thing” for quite some time.  A truly moving and powerful day for me on so many levels!

2. Have you ever forgotten about food?  What was it?

I cleaned and organized my pantry a few months ago and found tons of goodies I forgot about.

Yay for the hidden benefits of getting organized. i.e. finding bars I forgot about

3. Do you keep your pantries, cupboards and fridge neat and you know what’s in it?  Or are there some science experiments going on?

I hate messy cupboards and fridges.  Due to lack of cupboard and kitchen storage space in our smallish, urban space, my cupboards are very full with all my cooking, baking, and just every day supplies.  Caramel sauce falling from above is a big problem.

But with my refrigerator, I keep it extremely neat and well-organized.  I can honestly say I never “find” rotting, gross, un-used, or old food in it.  No way! I hate to waste perishable food, too, so I always know what I have on hand.

Have a great week everyone and if you’re just catching up on posts, here are mine since Friday:

52 Responses to “Forgotten Food”

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — April 11, 2011 at 10:10 am

At least you still got to enjoy the treats! My pantry is super cleaned out. We just like it that way. I hate clutter in there. Best thing I did all weekend…nothing. It felt great to be outside doing absolutely nothing. I hope you have a great day Averie.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — April 11, 2011 at 10:15 am

I always think I forget about food… and then I realize my family just ate it!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — April 11, 2011 at 10:17 am

1) The best thing I ate was def this marinade on grilled chicken yesterday :) …was inspired by my home grown lemons and thyme. http://whatscookinwithmary.blogspot.com/2011/04/lemon-herb-marinade.html
    The best thing I did was take a long walk with Brian & watch 127 hours. That movie was INSANE! …and not for the faint of heart.

2) I was going through my pantry and found a half a bag of pearl barley that I’m excited about using. Not sure what it’s destiny is yet, but it’ll def be something tasty… either in a soup or chilled salad, depending on the weather.

3) I always know what I have on hand and am very organized. I never have food rot or go bad in my fridge either. I hate to waste food and almost always make meal plans for the week so that nothing goes to the trash can.

Beth — April 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

Has it seriously been almost a year already?! Wow time flies!
    Always a nice surprise to get tasty food. Glad they were still edible.

Not often that I forget about food in the cupboard or pantry. Although I have come back from the store and forgotten to buy something.

95% of our pantry and fridge / freezer is organized and we know what is in it. The 5% exception is the spice cupboard. Oh my! Sometimes we have 3 or 4 bottles of the same spice, or 3 “refill” bags of the same spice – all unopened. It gets away from us so quickly and seems to take on a life of their own. We suspect the spices are secretly multiplying on their own.

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — April 11, 2011 at 10:24 am

Oh to bad those kale chips are all crumbs. I bet they still tasted great. I would never think to combine chocolate and kale. It sounds interesting.

This weekend I went wedding which was really fun.

I can’t think of anything I have ever forgotten in my pantry or refrigerator. I try to keep it pretty neat and organized. (I don’t like clutter.)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 11, 2011 at 10:24 am

I usually keep my pantry pretty neat, but I just cleaned out my fridge this weekend. It needed it!

Noya - gluttonandstudent — April 11, 2011 at 10:27 am

Chocolate kale chips sound interesting…
    I really can’t wait to try out your microwave chocolate peanut butter oat bars! They seem so easy to make – especially since I’m stuck in a dorm.

Recently I came across some dried cranberries in my snack drawer and I think I’m going to throw them in the choco peanut bars, when I make them this week!

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life — April 11, 2011 at 10:27 am

Oh my goodness! Chocolate Kale Chips??!?! Why have I never thought of that before? What a brilliant idea. Yum! I bet they were delicious!

Red Deception — April 11, 2011 at 10:34 am

That sandwich looks yummy! I have never had a portabella sandwich before. Now I want one!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — April 11, 2011 at 10:37 am

How does someone just hold onto your mail and “forget” for a year?? Crazy!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — April 11, 2011 at 10:40 am

oooh that’s a good find! :) I have a little box full of goodies, but I often forget to look through it! I may go do that now.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — April 11, 2011 at 10:56 am

Look at is as bonus food! It’s like finding money in your winter jacket from the year before.

Erica — April 11, 2011 at 11:05 am

Glad to hear the workshop was such an awesome experience! That is just fabulous!! And how fun that you were finally reunited with your forgotten food ;) Your bars are so delicious. I need to make another batch. They were a fun switch up from the ones I usually make. Best thing I did this weekend? I can’t pick one. I had a really great dinner with Josh and we got the baby furniture mostly put together. My fridge and pantry are PRETTY clean, I only forget about something on rare occasion

Kristina @ spabettie — April 11, 2011 at 11:13 am

that portobello burger looks delicious… even though I know it’s COLD from being a prop!! :D

I completely know what you mean – I submit what I think is my best photo (and I often ask Jason’s opinion if he is around…), and they’ll turn it down… I’ll resubmit and they’ll take what I thought wasn’t as good… and you’ll drive yourself crazy wondering why one accepts and another does not!! definitely a lesson in humility and grace, but I love it! :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 11th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

YES!! So true! I have had that happen with many!! photos…and even submitted a couple that I thought there is no way they’ll take this…and they do! But my “good” ones…that I love…get rejected. Glad I am not alone in this little predicament :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 11, 2011 at 11:24 am

Sweet mail score, almost like a time capsule. Oh wow, I’ve gotta try my own version of the chocolate kale chips! :-)

1. Got a lot done in the garden and on the house.
    2. Yes, it’s been awhile since I’ve tried many of the early raw recipes I did and I haven’t vegan-ized many of the old dishes from my non-vegan days.
    3. Yup, our pantry is super neat now and half empty – but I love it! I can find what I need fast and never feel overwhelmed trying to figure out what needs to be used up.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 11, 2011 at 11:26 am

Chocolate kale chips sound really good! I’m glad you still got to enjoy the treats!

For the most part I keep my cupboards cleaned out — we really only have 1 “food” cupboard, and then 1 for spices, baking supplies, etc, so it isn’t too hard to keep them cleaned out. But when I do give them a good cleaning I suddenly realize I have 3 jars of nutmeg or 5 bags of black beans — things that tend to get tucked behind other things and then I end up with too much.

And we’re good about eating what is in the fridge so we don’t usually have too much waste there. Thank goodness we don’t have dairy in the house, I remember when I was growing up I’d clean out our fridge and I’d find gross spoiled cottage cheese containers, sour cream, etc. Yuck.

CathyK — April 11, 2011 at 11:29 am

haha, aren’t you glad you weren’t sent chobani samples, or something similar with a DEFINITE expiry date! glad you could still enjoy the treats/freebies!
    i never lose food because i keep the cupboards and fridge super neat – clutter is not good anywhere, esp in the kitchen. yes, i am *that person* who stacks product so that all labels face the front! :)
    thanks for sharing which photos different sites accept/reject – that fascinates me! also that you get photos accepted – wowsa!!!

lindsay — April 11, 2011 at 11:30 am

loved hearing about your photo lesson. So fun!! And I love all the fresh pictures. It actually made me really hungry. hehe.
    ;)

Ela — April 11, 2011 at 11:32 am

Hey there!

Awesome that you’re finding empowerment and niches for your photography talent.

That’s sort of sweet that you got some ‘tailenders’ from Phoenix–bit flaky of the realtor, though!

We’re underway with a project to turn our little sideroom into a kitchen and it’ll be great to have an organized space. I keep everything as organized as I can, but our ‘undercounter cavern’ that is my pantry only works at all because I remember where everything is.

I’m with you: I hate wasting produce and hate refrigerator science experiments. Now that we got a big fridge, I’ll need to be more attentive. Sometimes, stuff that only Phil eats does get away from me, so it’s double gross because it’s something I wouldn’t eat, gone bad!

Have a beautiful day. We have snow again here today!
    love
    Ela

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 11, 2011 at 11:50 am

SO ironic about the expiration date – just in time! When I only had a few cupboards and fridge shelves when I lived with my parents, I’d definitely forget about things in the back and have a hard time keeping it neat. But now that I’m in my own apartment and can organize everything, I’ve had no problems. I LOVE having my own full kitchen! :)

Laury @thefitnessdish — April 11, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I am hoping the nesting bug motivates me to clean out my pantry….it really needs it!!!

Can’t believe that about your realtor and the expiration date!! And chocolate kale chips…dessert chips….so interestingly intriguing :-)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 11, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I do forget about food all the time!

but then it’s fun to find it again as long as it hasn’t gone bad! :P

McKella — April 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Chocolate kale chips? Having a hard time wrapping my brain around that one. I’ll have to try it!

Leslie — April 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm

That’s awesome to receive those package, albeit late! I would LOVE for you to figure out the chocolate kale chip recipe and save me the trouble (haha!). I really do like your cheezy kale chip recipe and make it all the time now! That’s about the only way to sneak greens in my two year old’s diet!

Your weekend looked awesome with the workshop and I’m glad you had so much fun! Your pictures are really showing for it.

My pantry and fridge can go to organized to disorganized really fast, and I’m always trying to keep it neat! It’s so great though, when you find a good stash of something you didn’t know you had, like the bars!

Have a great day!

Jen — April 11, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Haha, I have a big baggie full of bars that looks EXACTLY like that! And chocolate kale chips…those sound surprisingly good! I always find it funny how easy it is to make vegetables taste like dessert! There really is no excuse to not eat veggies. :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — April 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm

i do love organizing not only my pantry but my bedrom too! I find things i totally forgot about its so nice to see things turn up again!

i am LOVING the photos! You have truly taken on this passion and it is so coming through in your pictures, and descriptions! I love hearing about it!

Sorry I havent been popping in here as much lately…just dealing with some personal stuff (break up with the bf) and what not so I have been a bit MIA but still thinking of you!!! xo

Jen — April 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm

OOOOO those pictures are beautiful!!!! Great job :)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) — April 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I’m intrigued by the chocolate kale chips! Best thing I ate was a Fitnessista breakfast cookie :D

Paige @ Running Around Normal — April 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Messy fridges and pantries give me anxiety. I hate not being able to see everything!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 11, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I just realized today that I had forgotten about the chickpea flour I made and it was bad. I was really ticked at myself for letting that go to waste.

Rhea — April 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm

definitely a cheeky question, but… do you get paid for your FG/TS submissions? just asking out of sheer curiosity! :)

Renée — April 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Chocolate kale chips sound very interesting! Once I get the hang of making kale chips, I might try it!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm

OMG, that’s kind of funny about the year-old mail! We’ve moved so many times, I can’t imagine what has been lost over the years, lol.

TS and FG are wonderful, yet fickle creatures. Just when I think I’m doing great, they say no, I’m not, LOL. When I am not especially proud of an image, it’s accepted! I also submit 3 at a time for variance, and they’re usually ALL rejected, lol. I’m improving though. Between being sick and being up when it’s dark (no daylight!), it’s been a slow process. I’m getting there.

I have a shizz load of emails to reply to, I’ve got yours in drafts, working on it as usual! :D

Katie — April 11, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Hi Averie!!!

Hope you had a great weekend! The chocolate KALE?! Oh my gosh! looks amazing! I want it! I love yummy kale chips!

Hope all is well ! love ya! xoxo

Stephanie — April 11, 2011 at 4:00 pm

1. On Saturday I ate two pounds of organic strawberries, and then on Sunday I had the biggest sweet potato I’ve ever had, smothered in coconut oil and cinnamon.
    2. Nope. If I buy anything snacky like bars or cookies they’ll usually last less than a week. I can’t resist.
    3. Yup! I don’t usually have a lot in my pantry/whatever at home/here so there isn’t much to organize, but what I do have is nicely lined up and I like going through everything every once in a while to see what I need to use up, if anything.

rental mobil jakarta — April 11, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Nice article, thanks for the information.

Katelyn — April 11, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I’m so impressed with all of your photos, great work!

The best thing this past weekend is a toss up: unlimited tapas brunch or a friend’s first pottery show/sale. Great food and art :)

Jess@HealthyExposures — April 11, 2011 at 6:12 pm

My cupboards are…decently organized. They’re a little crammed and as such, probably don’t look organized…but I know what’s in them and it’s as tidy as it can be. (after the last couple weeks, at least, lol) No science experiments! Well, nothing worse than some almost-forgotten-about-but-unopened boxed unperishables, at least!
    TS and FG really are SO different!! I’ve found TS to be WAY pickier lately. I also often have troubles with doing the square crops both sites like. I usually utilize and compose for the full frame when I shoot…so more often than not, the picture I’ll like most will look terrible as a square :/ I know I can just shoot looser, but I never think of that while I’m shooting. Have you ever used finding vegan? I like that site, too. MUCH smaller, but I’ve found I’m more likely to gain readers from it, rather than just someone clicking through.
    You’re seriously inspiring me to keep playing with food photography, though! I think I’m going through a funk with it lately…probably doesn’t help that I haven’t been baking or cooking much :P

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — April 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm

So, I read about your time in Phoenix AND went back and read about your $199 wedding. Too cute! What a great story.

I had local grass fed beef burgers this weekend. Best thing I ate. Or maybe it was the pizza at the kid’s birthday party. That was pretty good too.

I have forgotten about food a LOT. I cannot count.

But there are no science experiments in my fridge. I am pretty anal about keeping it cleared out, especially since I work full time. I am usually so desperate for leftovers that there’s nothing languishing. It does happen occasionally, like when my hubby travels, but it’s rare.

Then again, he’s traveling 3 OUT OF THE NEXT 4 WEEKS!! Yucky. He eats half of our food, so occasionally when he leaves, I may get tired of beans and rice.

Katie — April 11, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I honestly couldn’t tell you the last time I threw out rotten food. It was probably at my parents house over Christmas, and I’m sure I yelled at them about it.

Chocolate kale chips? I want in on that action. you should make your next batch with nooch, cocoa and pb flour. That’s got blog success written all over it. :)

Christine @ Merf In Progress — April 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I forget about frozen food all the time. Today I had some Trader Joe’s potstickers that had been in my freezer for … um… I have no idea how long. And I have some Trader Joe’s frozen Biryani that has been in the freezer for at least a year. I should probably toss it.

Connie the cookie monster — April 11, 2011 at 8:36 pm

those granola bars look amazing! ill definitely be coming back soon for some chocolate granola lovin!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Perfect timing on the kale chips! I’ve never seen your microwave chocolate pb bars… you better believe I have it opened in the next tab to figure out when/how I will make them! yum!
    Again, great work on those pictures!
    I used to forget about food in my fridge/freezer/pantry so a couple of years ago I started cleaning either one every Friday. So, each one gets a good cleaning + organizing every 3 weeks. If I didn’t do it, I would likely have a TON of science experiments living in my house…

Magda — April 12, 2011 at 12:40 am

I keep forgetting about junk food that accidentally finds its way to our house ;) When we have a party, usually everybody brings something to munch on. There is real food like salads etc., but also tons of chips, crackers and the like, usually bacon-flavored, soaked with fat and generally not the kind that I’d like to eat. My husband used to be a chips guy, but he kind of kicked the habit. So we toss all the chips and stuff and gallons of beer that people bring along and don’t manage to eat into a separate cupboard. Then we forget about it. And once in a (long) while I clean the cupboard and find loads of junk snacks with the best before date long gone ;)

mimiforfitness — April 12, 2011 at 2:46 am

OMG! those really looks so delicious on pictures, I realized when was the last time I binged on chips? yummy…After reading your blog, I think I need one..

Ernest @ weight loss drops — April 12, 2011 at 5:51 am

If all the food forgotten are like this? I would instead place them in front of me all the time. OMG I would never forget eating all these food unless I am on a strict diet. But I definitely had my share of forgetting food if I am so busy and do not have the time to even open just a can of soda.:)

Amber K — April 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm

The only cabinet I have to keep food in is a bottom one, so things are often forgotten in the far back of that. Thankfully they are all things that stay good for awhile. In my fridge, I never forget things. I’m great about keeping it organized and going through things before they go bad.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 12, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I forget about food all the time! I hate it … especially when it is produce in my fridge!