Generosity & Clean Teeth

Katie’s Vegan Bake Sale for Japan ended and I was blown away when I saw my Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls fetch $200!

I don’t know who the bidders were, or who the winner is! (Katie has not announced it as of the time I am publishing this post.  She is likely swamped with details, emails, and handling a million things.  In due time I will find out who the winner is).

If the winner is reading this post, email me!  Tell me what else you want!  I’ve got plenty of balls where those came from.

Like No Bake Toffee & Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

Or No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles

I’d love to send you a few extra goodies for your generosity.  The people of Japan thank you!

And I thank you for making me feel so special that you would pay that much money for some of my goodies.  Seriously, I am humbled and speechless.

Thank you to everyone who bid on my item as well as on all the other items that were up for bids to show your support and generosity.  It just amazed me, in a great way.

Moving on…

On Wednesday I went to the dentist for a teeth cleaning.  I go every four months because I am obsessed with oral hygiene and preventative maintenance.  My plan seems to be working because I’ve never had a cavity.  So if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.  Thus, I go every 4 months.  So sorry that Caitlin did not have as good of luck at the dentist yesterday.

I just looked back at one of my “dentist posts” from July 2010 and Skylar looks like a little peanut!

What a difference 8.5 months makes!

From my last post about New vs. Recycled Pictures, it seems many of you do recycle your pictures since it’s a big time saver and for those of you who don’t, it’s because you don’t mind snapping fresh pics.

And I’m glad that the majority of people don’t mind recycled pictures, and as I suspected, most don’t even notice unless it’s pointed out.

Finally, I threw in the bit about Foodgawker and Tastespotting as an aside and lots of you were passionate in your response and comments.  Basically, many of you either don’t care about the “fancy foodie” sites or you feel that they are getting a little too picky, even for their own good.

I have no idea what of mine they will take and won’t take.  Only recently did I get serious about submitting recipes and it’s a crap shoot what gets the thumbs up vs. thumbs down.  Mary told me that my No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles were on the “Popular” Section of Foodgawker.  I went there.  And they are!    And Tastespotting turned down that very photo and recipe and it went on to make the “popular” section of FG. You just never know.

Dessert: Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars with Chocolate Frosting (GF, no-bake)

Since I don’t have any cavities, I’ll keep eating sugar.  Happily.

1. How often do you go to the dentist?

I go every four months, and I don’t have dental insurance so I pay out of pocket every time I go, but that’s ok.  I’d rather prevent than find something after the fact when it will cause me a whole lot more in terms of money, pain, and health consequences.

Kind of like my thoughts on going to the gyno.  Preventive and routine maintenance.

2. Are you ever amazed at the random acts of kindness of strangers or of people’s generosity?  Any particular examples come to mind?

We are all familiar with the not as nice side of humanity and the less that kind side of human behavior so it’s just especially awesome when people rally together for a great cause and are generous.

Last week when I fell and had blood gushing all over my hands, a woman who was outside watering her plants offered to drive me home (thankfully I was less than a half mile from my house and just walked home).  But the fact that a woman would let a bloody stranger in her car, in an urban area, no questions asked, was pretty amazing.

I saw kindness today in Rite-Aid when the cashier actually walked with an older lady who was having trouble finding a product and walked her right to it rather than just pointing and saying it’s on aisle 3.

Kindness and generosity doesn’t always have to be a “big” thing.  It can be the small things and little details, too.  In fact, I think it’s the small random acts of kindness make the world a better place.  <— I’m sounding a little bit hippy dippy so I will stop for now.

3. Anything fun or exciting for you this week?

Plenty in my world!  I am exciting to post about a few things.  Soon.

37 Responses to “Generosity & Clean Teeth”

Katie — April 7, 2011 at 3:55 am

Congrats on your dough ball sale! They look so good right now, and I’m glad they’re going to a good cause.

Every four months is a LOT, but it does seem to be working for you! I go every six months, and do seem to be prone to cavities. It’s sadly genetic :-(

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 7, 2011 at 4:13 am

$200?!! That is just amazing!

I don’t go to the dentist enough. I’ll just leave it at that. Last time I did go though, he commented that I must have good mouth genes to get by without going often and still not having any dental problems. :-)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 7, 2011 at 4:15 am

I go to the dentist every 6 months! It works out for me!!!

I can’t believe how much money Katie has raised for Japan – she’s amazing!

Jess@HealthyExposures — April 7, 2011 at 4:19 am

So glad the bake sale went so well for Katie (and Japan!) I am amazed (in a good way) at all of the generosity, too. All too often I’m more likely to complain about some crazy or rude person, but I never gush about someone doing a nice gesture…what’s wrong with me?! But you’re so right. Even the little things – someone holding the door, actually saying thank you for something (a lot of people miss that point these days) or a smile and a “have a good day!” – all make me feel a little bit more hope in humans :]
    Every 6 months for me! I have this love/hate relationship with the dentist. I love having clean teeth and it’s something I’m really paranoid about. I hate going to the dentist because I am always prepared to hear I need five root canals and three teeth pulled. No, it’s not rational. I realize that :P

• chocolate-covered katie replied: — April 7th, 2011 at 4:27 am

I’m so glad I read your comment, Jess! I was feeling annoyed at ONE rude email I got yesterday (Someone has actually complained to me that I didn’t send them a winning message yesterday! Um… it’s not like I don’t have 100 other emails to go through!!). But anyways, your comment made me realize that I need to not get upset and instead look at all the INCREDIBLE kindness people showed in helping these past two days. And thanks SO much to both you and Averie. Without kind-hearted people like you two, we never would’ve been able to raise so much!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 7, 2011 at 4:19 am

WOW! That’s incredible about the bid!!! I think it’s truly wonderful how generous we can be during times of need. :)

I go to the dentist once per year and have never had a cavity! I take extra good care of my teeth and completely agree that it’s all about prevention.

dragonmamma/naomi — April 7, 2011 at 4:32 am

Ooh, look at those pearly-white chompers! I love to run my tongue over my teeth right after they’ve been cleaned, they’re so smooth.

The Y had its big fund-raiser this past month; we put up a board showing numerous local businesses and/or individuals who donated over a thousand bucks each! Pretty nice; most of it goes towards swim lessons or camp programs for kids who couldn’t afford it otherwise.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 7, 2011 at 4:45 am

I don’t go to the dentist enough, which is not setting a good example as a health blogger! :(

my exciting thing is that my puppy is turning 1 today :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 7, 2011 at 5:14 am

Whoa, 200 bucks for balls?!? That’s crazy and awesome!!!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — April 7, 2011 at 5:16 am

I have never had a cavity and I go to the dentist once a year when I go home for Christmas. I’ve actually had the same dentist since I was little!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — April 7, 2011 at 5:18 am

You should be proud that your contribution helped raise so much money! Congrats! =)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 7, 2011 at 5:22 am

It’s nice that there are people out there who will stop and help. Sadly, there are many more who just walk on by though. I try to be kind always. Smiling is one of the simplest things we can do for others.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — April 7, 2011 at 5:51 am

Wow! That’s amazing
    Skylar is growing so fast! It’s amazing how fast time flies. My oldest son is 6’2″.. and 19.. my youngest is graduating in June.. and is 6′ tall and full of muscles. It seems like yesterday they were Skylars age.

You know it’s interesting. I live in NH and people here are NOT friendly at all. In fact, you can say hello to someone, look them in the eye and more often than not they will completely ignore you. The other day, a woman said hello to me in such a friendly way that it literally made my day! It’s really the small things in life that touch me the most.

Christine @ Merf In Progress — April 7, 2011 at 6:43 am

“I’ve got plenty of balls where those came from.” — hahahahahaha!!!!

I go to the dentist every six months. I have had a couple of cavities, which makes me mad since I brush twice a day and floss every single night. My dentist said it’s because my teeth are too crowded, and the grooves in my molars are extremely deep. Boo.

I love encountering random acts of kindness or unexpected generosity. It renews my faith in people. I can’t say it surprises me. What surprises me is when people are *not* generous. Like, when I asked a neighbor to help me hold my garage door open so I could get my husband’s truck out, and he acted like I’d asked him to pay for my son’s college.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 7, 2011 at 6:49 am

I love seeing people hold doors for others, let people go in front of them in line at the grocery store or Target, etc. I try to do that sort of stuff when I see it. I’ve found cell phones and such in dressing rooms and ran out to find the person who left it in there — they are always so grateful and I hope people would do the same for me!

No clue about those photos — why one site would love them and the other wouldn’t. Doesn’t make much sense to me!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 7, 2011 at 6:55 am

I have noticed that living in a city makes people even less friendly. So I am amazed when someone holds the door open for me or a driver actually lets me cross the street without almost running me over. I always make sure to thank them in a big way!

CathyK — April 7, 2011 at 7:13 am

oh, that’s FANTASTIC news about the bake sale and the price your balls fetched! what a wonderful feel-good moment for you AND the lucky bidder AND katie…not to mention that it’s all for a good cause!
    i go to the dentist every six months and have never had a cavity, too. if i was super rich, i’d get my teeth cleaned every week, i swear. so i totally hear you on being willing to pay for proactive dental care.
    random acts of kindness: really, it takes so little time and effort to just make someone’s day, help out in little ways. thanks for sharing your experience. food for thought!
    i really am clueless about these photog websites! will have to check them out!
    have a great day!

kristina@beancakes — April 7, 2011 at 7:48 am

this post is making me want to go to the dentist!! i’m all for oral hygiene as well, overall hygiene is a good thing ;)

Amber K — April 7, 2011 at 8:10 am

I should totally go to the dentist more often than I do. It’s been almost two years now. I just can’t afford it. My dad goes every four months, which really helps him not get cavities. I always have cavities so I should probably be doing the same!

Random acts of kindness are so important! Unfortunately, I often think of things to do once I’m already out of the situation. And then I start to detach from reality, lol. I was sitting at a red light yesterday when an old man was walking with his lunch on the sidewalk. There weren’t any houses nearby so I wasn’t sure where he was walking to and it was starting to rain. I thought I should give him my umbrella. Forget the fact that I have no clue where my umbrella is in my car, and I’d have to run across two lanes of traffic to give it to him, I still felt bad for not helping him out!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 7, 2011 at 8:19 am

I’m embarrassed to admit my last time at the dentist was the first in years. I haven’t had a plan that covered it since I was under my parents plan and it’s freaking expensive to see a dentist, let alone get anything done up here. So I just went and I’ve got my first cavity ever :( But it’s on a wisdom tooth that needs to be pulled out anyways. So I’m happy :D Our plan lets us go every 6 months now so that’s how it’ll be.
    It’s amazing the kindness people show sometimes :) When I first moved here from the city I thought it was so weird that people waved at each other and smiled and even commented on the day when passing by even though they didn’t really know everyone. But it’s amazing how something that small can affect you :)

Krista — April 7, 2011 at 8:43 am

I go to the dentist every 3 months….but b/c I HAVE to. I certainly do not want to! Gum loss runs in our fam and so cleanings are usually very painful for me. But I suck it up and go to “stall” the loss. I better die with my own teeth, I tell ya!!!

I wish more people were as kind as some. You really can’t lose helping someone, can you??

Katie — April 7, 2011 at 9:05 am

I go to the dentist about once every 3 years. Its terrible.

Skylar is becoming so beautiful! Every photo you post of her just gets better. She’s going to be a heart-breaker. ;)

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 7, 2011 at 9:06 am

That’s awesome about the balls, great job! Glad the dentist went well. I used to go every 4 months just to monitor everything, but after the last couple appointments went very well, I went back to every 6 months to save money.

Wow, Skylar is growing!

1. Every 6 months currently.
    2. Yes, no particular examples I can think of off-hand. But they’re so important in disasters and times of need.
    3. Took hubby out to dinner and just worked, that’s about it so far.

Noya - gluttonandstudent — April 7, 2011 at 9:11 am

Great job with the cookie balls! Everything else looks yummy! :)

I go to the dentist twice a year, and orthodontist once a year. Have to maintain those pearly whites!

Katherine: Unemployed — April 7, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love the dentist! she really has grown fast. I am in awe of the funds raise; great job to everyone involved!

Beth — April 7, 2011 at 10:56 am

Wow! That is a fantastic winning bid for your cookie dough balls.

Congrats on another cavity-free visit to the Dentist. I wish I could say that I’ve never had a cavity, but I haven’t had very many since high school. Not sure if that is down to change in diet, change in toothpaste / toothsoap, or what exactly. I’m pretty happy about it though. I go to the Dentist every 9 months.

Random acts of kindness from strangers are awesome. They always take me aback, but that is a good thing. Like the reminder that people are good, generous, and care about others.

Fun / exciting: we are starting to ramp up for the season opening of our paintball field.

charlotte — April 7, 2011 at 11:59 am

Oh good land – you just compared going to the dentist to going to the gyno and now I have all kinds of inappropriate analogies I want to leave in this comment;) Also, I’ve bookmarked your cake balls to make with my kids. How do you keep coming up with these recipes?! Half of my dessert recipes are now from you I think!

Naomi — April 7, 2011 at 1:15 pm

GAH I hate the dentist…I dont know why but I always have this fear when I go that something will be wrong with my teeth or something! I do go every 6 months though to keep them so fresh and clean! :)

I love when people are nice and friendly out of the blue it makes the day a bit brighter…giving a compliment to a stranger, holding teh door for someone, just the little things :)

Lauren @ChiGalLauren — April 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Boo dentist!! Its so crazy how kids can change so much in such a {relatively} short period of time!! She’s still a cutie pie though!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I go to the dentist twice a year.

Tonight I have dinner plans with some girlfriends, then tomorrow evening the hubby and I and some friends are going to a cd release party!

Michele Sparrow — April 7, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I go to the dentist 2 times per year and have also never had a cavity.

And I think it is so awesome that your truffles are on foodgawker! I like to gawk at those pics of your truffles!! :-)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 8, 2011 at 12:45 am

This post brought tears to my eyes. First, I’m so happy that your balls attracted such a generous donation!! I LOVE THAT! :D I love when people show compassion and generosity. It restores my faith in humanity. And then your anecdotes about the nice deeds this week, so comforting to think how GOOD people can be! With all of the evil around us, we forget the little things that really do mean so much. I’m inspired to do more for people.

Thank you for making me smile before I go to sleep. It’s nice to end the day on a happy note. My heart feels full. <3

Anita — April 8, 2011 at 4:39 am