iPhone Arrived & Brownie Recipes

Thank goodness that after my iPhone was stolen on Monday, my new phone arrived late Wednesday.

UPS came to the house earlier in the day, didn’t ring the bell, and left.  I realized this hours later when I saw a sticky note on the door.  I called them and they sent the driver back to my house.  At 6pm. I waited all day for my phone, but finally, I got it.  Grrr to waiting on deliveries!

Brand new and sealed in the box.  I was worried they were going to try to send me a refurbished phone but they didn’t!

I think because it’s a new-to-Verizon phone, it’s the 4G (a new phone in general) and because I had originally purchased the more expensive (and probably less common) 32 MB model rather than the 16 MB model, so there simply weren’t any “used” phones to refurbish and send to me.  So I “lucked out” and got a new phone.

However, I would hardly call having one’s phone stolen, paying $250 out of pocket for the replacement + new case, and having to endure the sense of violation and frustration that has resulted from this whole ordeal “lucky”, but you know what I mean. I’m grateful that insult to injury wasn’t added by sending me someone else’s castoff a refurbished phone.

I’m back in business!

I bought the same case that I had before.  It’s not one of the more silicone-based cases.  Those pull my hair out!   This one is more smooth and not as “grippy” and the bottom part detaches in case you want to dock it in a Bose system or something similar and you don’t have to remove the entire case.

And rather than downloading tons of apps that I realized I didn’t use or need anyway, I only downloaded

Pandora Radio

Runkeeper (because it has GPS and is great to see running or walking routes)

WordPops (I don’t want to play Words With Friends.  My friends are busy and take way too long to make their move.  I like scrabble-ish games that are fast-paced and WordPops suits my needs)

And I hid or removed all kinds of icons/apps like Stocks or Calendar and only have the ones I use most often on my home screen.  To do this: hold the icon til it begins to jiggle, then you can move it by dragging it or just delete it by clicking on the red x that will appear.  Many of you asked how to do this.

Streamlined simplicity on the home screen.

I am so happy to have my phone back!  I never realized in just six weeks how antiquated the Blackberry feels and how much I love the iPhone.  I felt naked without my phone.  For better or worse, I think we’re all pretty attached to our technology.  Especially our phones!

From my last post about Turbo Mode, thanks for sharing what you’ve been turbo’ing though.  We are all so busy but that’s okay.  Life is meant to be lived to the fullest, right?

And I got a kick out of your fill in the blank answers.

1. What’s the last thing you waited for?  Anything you’re in the process of waiting for?

Waiting two days for my replacement phone, and then waiting on UPS to come back to my house because the driver never rang the bell (assumed no one was home I guess and just put a sticky on the door and bailed without ringing first) was a long two and a half days days!  But worth it, clearly, so I could have my phone back.

I am currently waiting to go on vacation.

I’m waiting to buy a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I really want one.

And I’m waiting to see if I win the lottery.  I won’t hold my breath on that since I don’t even play the lottery.

2.  Favorite Brownie Recipes?

I know everyone has a favorite recipe for them but if you have any recipes that you adore, please share them.  Links welcome, but only two links, max, or your comment will go into moderation.

You can even tell me you love to doctor up Duncan Hines or Betty C’s brownie mixes, or that you make your own with your Aunt Susie’s treasured recipe.  Does not have to be vegan, GF, or “healthy”.  Inherently, I don’t think brownies are “healthy”.  I think they are dessert and that’s a beautiful thing.

I have Raw Vegan Brownies in my recipe arsenal (Vegan, GF)

And Peanut Butter Cup Brownie Cupcakes with White Chocolate Icing

…But I’d like to make really awesome brownies for an event and try out a new recipe in the process.

I know Jessica has more rich decadent brownies and bars on her site than one could imagine and so does Jenny, but fill me in on any of your favorite recipes, please!

3. What makes a good brownie recipe for you?

For me, a good brownie is rich, moist, not dry, more fudgy than cakey, has a gooey center with barely crisped edges.

Frosting is optional.  Buttercream or cream cheese frosting is preferred over chocolate frosting.

And no nuts in the brownies.  Nuts in the brownies is a 100% deal breaker.  I hate nuts in baked goods!

TGIF!

62 Responses to “iPhone Arrived & Brownie Recipes”

Stephanie — April 22, 2011 at 1:39 am

The brownies from The Kind Diet are definitely my fave. I add walnuts in, though, so I don’t think you’d like MINE, but if you didn’t add them in then you might enjoy them. People are always amazed at how dark they get, but that’s what you get when you don’t put crap like eggs in your brownies =)

cathy/kiki — April 22, 2011 at 3:55 am

whew, what a relief to be “back in business,” eh! glad you got your iphone and that it’s brand new. i would love an iphone (have a bb) but i so would need a tutorial on how to use it. well, at this is one headache you can move on from, now!
    brownies: i dislike nuts in baked goods, too! best brownie = moist, chewy and must have choc icing. id’ love to try a raw version!
    have a great day – at least you’re all set up with your phone before vacation!

Char — April 22, 2011 at 4:05 am

You really can’t talk brownies while I’m lying in bed, HUNGRY, reading blogs – because it makes me want a doughy chocolatey non-dry brownie…I think I’ll eat some breakfast first!! So I have a blackberry and you think the iphone is honestly better? I have my plan for another 11 months, so I’ll wait it out and try to make a decision in that time, what I get next haha

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 22, 2011 at 4:13 am

SO glad the phone situation turned out a little better than expected – you at least deserve that after everything you had to go through. Refurbished anythings scare the heck out of me! I always feel like there’s a reason it’s a cast-off, so why would I want it? Probably completely untrue, but for something like a phone that’s so essential to everyday life, I wouldn’t want to even think about it being used before me.

My mom used to make an awesome brownie recipe. It was really simple… no added frosting, nuts, etc., and I used to LOVE it. I agree that moist is a very good quality and I always liked the corner pieces… something about biting into a little harder section that I thought made it better haha.

Tasha @ Voracious — April 22, 2011 at 4:29 am

OH MY YUMMMMM!!!! I need one of those peanut butter cup cupcakes! Seriously, that looks so good I can’t even stand it.

I’m so happy you got your phone – sorry you had to wait around for it though. I totally agree, waiting on deliveries is frustrating and annoying. They always seem to time their estimated drop off for right when I need to leave the house to do something.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — April 22, 2011 at 4:35 am

Yay, you got your phone! The last thing we waiting on was a paycheck…which is fun! I’m glad you got a new phone and are back in business! Have a great Friday Averie!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — April 22, 2011 at 4:49 am

I have a really yummy gluten free brownie recipe.. it is dense and fudgy with a cracked top!.. yum.. glad you got your phone!

re work: I was literally in the right place at the right time. I did tons of photography for the restaurant I worked in (for their facebook page).. and then last summer I did a portrait shoot for a woman who worked for the magazine and she passed my name along. I test recipes, prepare them and shoot them for the magazine (I may have the cover for the summer’s issue!) .. I also write food articles and create recipes for them as well.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — April 22, 2011 at 5:09 am

Yay for a new phone! That was quick :)
    I’m waiting for my new camera bag to get here!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 22, 2011 at 5:15 am

Trying to get thing delivered to my apartment is a nightmare and a half…seriously, I never get anything sent there if I can help it. Right now I’m waitingwaitingwaiting for school to be DONE forever. I cannot WAIT, seriously. Get me out of college!!

I just made Gracie from Girl Meets Life’s cake batter blondies yesterday. We’ll see how they go over at the party I bring them to tonight!!

Sue — April 22, 2011 at 5:19 am

I lost my phone a couple of weeks ago, no insurance and no warranty. Nothing as fancy as an iphone or blackberry, but it did have a texting keyboard. I had an old LG flip phone hanging around the house, so got a new sim card and am back in business, but I lost all of my phone numbers, which really irritates me. And I’m really used to the qwerty keyboard, so this whole texting with a regular one is making me a little crazy. I am waiting to see if I can tough it out until August, when I have an upgrade. If not, I’ll be hitting ebay.

I have been told that I make the best brownies in the free world. Of course, I have made them for my co-workers every Friday for about the past 15 years, so I’ve had lots of practice. I’m not sure about the free world thing, but they are really good, if I do say so myself. They are not vegan, nor are they particularly healthy, but since they are homemade and chocolate, they have to be good for you. Since people have occasionally accused me of leaving things out of recipes, all kinds of weird stuff that may or may not affect the recipe are included.

BROWNIES

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
    3/4 cup cocoa
    2 cups sugar
    4 eggs
    1-1/4 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans and do NOT chop them, so that people who don’t like
    nuts can pick them out easier)
    1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli bittersweet chips)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9x2 with non-stick spray.
    Put butter/margarine and cocoa into a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on High for 1-2 minute, or until margarine is melted, stir together (a whisk works really well). Add sugar, eggs and vanilla, stirring well after each. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl, then add to chocolate mixture, stir well. Add nuts and chocolate chips. Spread in prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.

NOTES: I mix this in a 2 quart Pyrex measuring cup/pitcher. Also, 1-1/4 cups self-rising flour may be substituted for flour, baking powder and salt, making this a one bowl recipe. Baking for 30 minutes makes very fudgy brownies, so if you like yours more cake-like, bake a few minutes more. I store my pecans and chocolate chips in the freezer, so adjust your baking time accordingly.

Erica — April 22, 2011 at 5:40 am

SO glad to hear you have an iPhone again! Still sad that you had to go through all that though! I am honestly not a big brownie person (probably because I’m not a big chocolate person)- but I am actually contemplating make some this weekend for my Easter Dessert tray. Thanks for the links!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 22, 2011 at 5:45 am

I totally agree with you about brownies — I like them gooey, moist and fudgey. Honestly raw brownie dough is one of the most delicious things I can think of right now!

I’m glad your phone arrived — UPS is so silly sometimes — they do that to us too, where they don’t ring the bell and just leave a note AND WE’RE HOME!!! Once we chased him down because we literally saw him walk to our house (and maybe he knocked?) but then walked away. So strange!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — April 22, 2011 at 5:45 am

Oh no! Sorry to hear your iPhone was stolen-that stinks! Glad you got a new one, I love mine. Brownies look delish!

Joshua — April 22, 2011 at 5:47 am

Okay, random comment from an accidental click over at Charlotte’s GFE. But I saw “iPhone” in the title, and being the nerd that I am, I gave it a read anyway.

It blows that your phone was stolen, so I’m sorry for that. I’m awaiting the arrival of my iPad2 and am nervous for its safety in transit.

“a good brownie is rich, moist, not dry, more fudgy than cakey, has a gooey center with barely crisped edges…Nuts in the brownies is a 100% deal breaker.” — You just described my perfect brownie. No frosting, just fresh, gooey, and warm. Normally I’d be able to remote into my home computer to pull the recipe, but it’s running some intense programs right now, so I’ll have to remember to bring it by another time. Sorry. :^(

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 22, 2011 at 5:51 am

I wish I could have pandora on my iPhone! I hate that they’re just in the states now. I’m currently waiting for my supplements – multi, omegas, probiotics… and it’s taking FOREVER.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — April 22, 2011 at 6:21 am

There is nothing worse than waiting around for the delivery man!!! I feel like that’s all I do on my office days and then you’re just tied to your house.

A. Cook — April 22, 2011 at 6:24 am

I guess I’m what you’d call a lurker on your blog, but I HAD to comment regarding brownies, because you described my perfect one from start to finish! Rich, moist, fudgy, gooey center, crisped edges, NO NUTS, and frosting optional. Awesome! I have one recipe I’ve used in the past that is pretty fabulous and actually sort of “healthy” (not vegan though): http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/chocolate/big-fudgy-bittersweet-brownies/

Also, UPS is pretty terrible sometimes. The last time I had a package coming from them, which contained over $100 worth of new J.Crew clothes, they apparently just left the box in front of my apartment building, no sticky note at all, and I never got it. I think someone stole it off the front steps of the building :( It’s just laziness. They could have at least tried calling me! And of course they took no responsibility for it being gone so I lost all of that money, and worse, the new clothes!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — April 22, 2011 at 6:34 am

So glad you are now back in business, so to speak! I have to confess–I like brownies from boxed mixes….

McKella — April 22, 2011 at 6:45 am

I don’t know if I’m waiting for anything in particular. I’m working toward a couple things, but I don’t thin I’m waiting on anything.
    I love brownies, but I think the guradelli dark chocolate ones rare the best! I really want to try the smores brownies from How Sweet It Is. Jessica always blows me away with her genius combos. Brownies+s’mores=why didn’t I think of that before?!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 22, 2011 at 7:00 am

I am waiting for vacation, too! Aaah can’t wait. :-) I don’t think I have a favorite brownie recipe, but moist and fudge-y are my fave!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 22, 2011 at 7:07 am

glad you got your phone!

I loooove moist brownie recipes! :)

Susan — April 22, 2011 at 7:32 am

Gaaaah, that is so awful your phone was stolen!!! I’m lucky that I’ve never had anything stolen. Although, my sister once had her purse CUT off of her. When we were in Amsterdam, she was wearing a small handmade purse with a string for a strap. Without her realizing it, someone came up behind her and cut the purse right off. Lost her passport while travelling and everything. It was a mess. Now I only wear thick leather straps!

Anyways, at least you’ve got a phone now, despite the giant headache. I’m currently waiting to start my new job!! Or more like, my first paycheck from my new job! :P

Ann — April 22, 2011 at 8:09 am

Im glad they didn’t send you an old one and your back in business, just wish it didn’t have to cost you so much. If you think the black berry is antiquated you’d really get a laugh out of my phone.

dragonmamma/naomi — April 22, 2011 at 8:22 am

I’ve been waiting for these to arrive at my local Cost Plus World Market: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10982612&clickid=body_rv_img
    I have the matching set of expresso cups and plates, and I love them. Can’t beat the price, either.

This shouldn’t need saying, but a brownie HAS to have chocolate in it! If there’s no chocolate then it’s a BLONDIE, and if it’s made with carob then it’s a carob bar. They may be good, but they’re not brownies!

Colleen — April 22, 2011 at 8:35 am

I like plain brownies that are cooked.. lol Theyre amazing warm with vanilla ice cream :)

Katie — April 22, 2011 at 8:58 am

I couldn’t agree more about the nuts. That’s just bad form. I actually hate nuts in all baked goods. And brownies shouldn’t be frosted. They should be warm, gooey, and sweet enough on their own. Simple is best.

I thought of you last night as I was nibbling on buttercream frosting at my friends’ celebration – it was coffee flavored! I wasn’t going to have any, but I was like “in Averie’s honor”, and it was worth the pain I endured!

Sybil — April 22, 2011 at 9:22 am

I LOVE the Pamela’s gluten free brownie mix. There are several versions on the back of the package (you can do vegan, oil, butter, etc.). I prefer doing a version with half butter/half coconut oil. I am very picky about brownies. I am also gluten free. However, EVERYONE (gluten free or not) that I make these brownies for raves about them and wants the recipe. I just wish they were organic. Oh, and while I enjoy a nut free brownie, to me, there is nothing like a super yummy warm brownie w/ toasted pecans on top. Sigh.Off to buy some mix.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 22nd, 2011 at 1:09 pm

thanks, Sybil! Good to know that the Pamela’s are crowd pleasers for the even non-GF people. I have heard they are awesome brownies…need to try them!

Kenzie @ KHolistic — April 22, 2011 at 9:50 am

Stolen iPhone!? I can’t imagine… I love mine so much I’d die. I’m kind of obsessive about knowing where it is at all time. Happy Earth Day and yes, TGIF!

Ela — April 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

So glad you’re back in business, and nice streamlined look to your phone screen.

What do you want a stand mixer for? Curious what recipes you’re planning on trying.

Brownies–I actually like the black bean ones, but that’s maybe because of the limitations on what I can actually try. But I think that your preferences match mine exactly (I really dislike nuts in baked goods too)! The recipe that I mostly use for my husband et al is the standard half cup butter, ~cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, 8×8 pan, done (350 ~20-30 mins)–so simple, so moist and fudgy. For me, I couldn’t stand it with the butter and probably not eggs either, but I haven’t felt inspired to make an ‘Ela friendly’ version yet.
    Good luck!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 22nd, 2011 at 1:11 pm

what to make with a kitchenaid? Oh a million things that I have in my head :)

black bean brownies…have not yet tried any bean-based desserts…I keep thinking it just sounds too..earthy, beany, natural and possibly not the greatest tasting but I should try them once I suppose…

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 22, 2011 at 10:22 am

Ha – you used the “m” word!!! Hehe (in your fave brownie description).

I like that word, but I know you don’t :-)

My perfect brownie is practically raw. I like it to taste oooey and gooey like the batter.

The last thing I waited for was this holiday break that I am currently on!!!!

Amber K — April 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

Brownies definitely have to be fudgy, not cake-like. Dense, moisty, chewy, but above all they can NOT have nuts. I love nuts, by themselves. But there is no faster way to completely ruin the texture and mouth-feel of biting into a baked good than adding a crunchy nut to the mix.

I actually haven’t had a good brownie like that since going gluten-free. I’ve tried different recipes and mixes, but they all seem to come out cake-like or way too gummy. Raw brownies (blending together walnuts, dates, vanilla and cocoa powder) are delicious, but just not the same!

Em — April 22, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hi averie!!!
    I love your blog and I hope you will check out myn! I think you might like this post>
    I created a raw vegan cookie cake (: It was my sweet sixteen

xo Em

Callie {Rawxy} — April 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Woot! Look at that – Lucky girl you are! Well…errr…. you know what I mean :)

Bria @ West of Persia — April 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Cook’s Illustrated always has great recipes.

I haven’t tried their chewy brownie recipe, but it looks good:

And their Classic Brownie is my go-to ‘from scratch’ brownie recipe:

Note: I generally skip all of the business in their recipes about creating a foil overhang for the pan. Just lube up the pan really well. Ha!

Congrats on the new phone. :-)

Katie M — April 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm

OMG…so i was reading that you wanted to buy a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I owned one and gave it to a friend who is in school for culinary arts. He adores it but I hated it. The bowl isn’t big enough for my taste it makes pouring ingredients into it a pain in the rear. Half of it ends up outside the side of the bowl. The stand mixers that have the top that bend up and down as opposed to the ones that the bowl moves up and down are better. However, I ended up buying a Kitchen Aid Architect hand mixer…..it mixes cookie dough and even bread dough (though i haven’t tested it out for that). It was only $50! I <3 it. I <3 it muy mucho.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 22, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Yay, glad you got your replacement iPhone. That’s gotta be the cleanest iPhone I’ve ever seen, mine is loaded with apps, 5 pages organized in folders! :-P

1. Hmmm, I waited to get off work today and I’m in the process of saving and waiting for a new car down the road and a vacation.
    2. Haven’t had any recently, but I recently saw a vegan recipe using tofu I’m itching to try.
    3. Moist, rich chocolate flavor and slightly crispy edges.

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 23, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Hahahhahahah I’m LMAO about Words With Friends and the too busy comment… I haven’t played a single move in probably 25 days… I’m too busy! ;)

Krista — April 24, 2011 at 6:33 am

YAY for getting your phone so quickly. Still aggrivating that yours was stolen, though. Grr! I have an HTC Hero (Droid) and just found that Runkeeper on it. I have something called “My Tracks” which may be similar. We shall see. Sarah is downloading Wordpops on her ipod touch as I type. ;) Have a GREAT day….HAPPY EASTER!

leo — April 24, 2011 at 6:19 pm

So great !I also plan to buy a new one !

Mary Anne — April 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Hey, UPS is horrid about not ringing. One time we had 20 boxes shipped from one state to another 2 day and they dropped them and didn’t ring the bell. James sent them ‘signature required’ and they didn’t even RING THE BELL. I asked them if they needed a signature and they said no, when I caught them trying to leave. I called UPS and filed a complaint right away. Add to it, we also had requested that UPS never just drop boxes at our front door and always request a signature, but they never would.

BTW, the Iphone for is not 4g. the only 4g phone verizon has is the HTC Thunderbolt, which was just released late March. Great phone, but 4g really drains the battery compared to 3g. We don’t get 4g service where we live but we did in San Diego. It sure flies!

Goddess — April 26, 2011 at 5:07 am

Raw Vegan Brownies? Peanut Butter Cup Brownies? How can I have you now? I love brownies but I have not tried to eat Raw Vegan Brownies. I’m going to look for that. I’m drooling.. arrrrgggg :D

And OoooPpsss.. before I’d forget. I tried to check the articles linked. Thank you. The brownie recipe is just so easy. I really cant wait to make one for mom (in reality – for me :D)

Beth — April 26, 2011 at 8:59 am

Glad you have your new iPhone and have it all set up the way you want. Hurray!
    Pandora Radio – Used to love listening to it when it was free. Alas I can’t get to it now :(

Last thing I waited for: Subway to fill our 86 lunch orders for the paintball field
    Fav Brownie Recipe: http://www.elanaspantry.com/brownies/ (not vegan)
    Good brownie recipe: lots of chocolate, chewy, easy to modify (bigger, smaller, etc), cooks / sets up quickly

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 26th, 2011 at 11:55 am

Ok just checked that recipe..there is no flour whatsoever in it…I have seen flourless type things before and so interesting! Are they really moist and gooey? Any more detail/info? They totally caught my eye and have seen raw vegan fudge made with AB before in cookbooks, too. Do they taste like AB or more like brownies? I am not a huge AB fan (PB yes!, of course!)

• Beth replied: — April 26th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

If you want it really moist & goey then take some time off. I think10-15 mins would make it very gooey.
        I have made it with the following nut butters: almond, cashew, mac, almond & cashew, almond & mac. Always good brownie-like results. If you aren’t an AB fan, try it with PB instead.
        Keep the choc chips in there though. So yummy and melted :)

Jessica Peine — April 28, 2011 at 8:05 am

I have to express some appreciation to the writer for bailing me out of this situation. Right after looking throughout the search engines and obtaining ways which are not productive, I believed my entire life was done. Being alive minus the solutions to the problems you have resolved all through your entire write-up is a crucial case, and the kind which might have in a negative way damaged my career if I had not come across the website. Your personal training and kindness in playing with a lot of stuff was priceless. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t encountered such a step like this. I’m able to at this moment relish my future. Thanks for your time very much for this skilled and result oriented guide. I will not hesitate to endorse your site to anyone who needs and wants assistance on this issue.