New vs. Recycled Pictures

Over the weekend I made a fresh batch of No Bake White Chocolate Mango Cookie Dough Bites

99.9% of the time, if I re-make a dessert or any recipe, I don’t re-photograph the recipe.  I love my blog and blogging, but I have a life and therefore I recycle photos rather than take fresh pictures, upload them, edit them, and then upload to my blog.  It saves me so much time to simply recycle.

But, I felt these bites were worth re-photographing because they are just that good.  Plus I had fun taking new pictures.

Even if you’re not a white chocolate fan, the combo of white chocolate with the raw cookie dough with the mango is just music to the tastebuds.

For the record, both Foodgawker and Tastespotting rejected these photos.  They said they were “dull/unsharp”.  Really?

I was hoping they’d like the new photos, but they didnt. They didn’t like the original photos, either. With those sites, it’s all about the photo quality.  Your recipe can be totally craptastic, but if your pictures are what they are looking for, you’re in.  Which is a shame, I think, in many ways because stellar recipes will never see the light of day due to less than “perfect” photography.

Then again, there are so many hundreds of online recipe sites that are focused on recipes. What sets FG and TS apart is their focus on photography.   So I guess it’s all good.

Since one cannot live on white chocolate alone, how about cake?

This is a “healthy” cake, promise.  <–Hate defining things like that, but I did it anyway.

Microwave Banana Oat Cake (Vegan, GF, 5 minutes to make)

From my last post about the humdrum tasks of life, we all have them.  Thanks for sharing what your bore-snore tasks have been lately.  But hey, it feels good to get them done, right!  Productivity rocks.

1. If you’re a blogger, do you recycle your pictures? Why or why not?

2. For both bloggers and non-bloggers, do you notice or care if a blogger reuses pictures from time to time?

Honestly, I don’t think most people even notice.  Sometimes when a blogger points out in their post that they recycled a photo, even if I am a regular/daily reader of that blog, the majority of the time, I would have never noticed unless she said anything.

I am happy that she took a shortcut and saved some time, and spent the time doing other more, errr productive things, than re-uploading pictures to her blog.

I admit, maybe I recycle some of my pictures too much.  Do I care?  Not really. I don’t want to bore people but I also have new readers that may enjoy seeing a recipe link with a picture even if it’s been shown before.  Plus, I always have fresh pictures in each post so if I am using an old picture for food, who cares.

3. Bake Sales!

First, Blogging for a Change has items up for bid at Rally For Japan.  100% of the proceeds go to Japan victims.  Go Bid on some of the great items up for grabs.

Secondly, go Bbd on Katie’s Vegan Blog Bake Sale for Japan items.  Dozens of bloggers donated vegan goodies and the bid proceeds go to the people of Japan.

I am donating Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (and other goodies, too) to the winner!

The auction ends at 6p eastern time Thursday so just a few hours lefts!  Hurry!

Go Bid!

Enjoy your day!  I am off to the dentist because I go every 4 months for cleanings.  How’s that for a humdrum task.

57 Responses to “New vs. Recycled Pictures”

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) — April 6, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Argh I wish I could bid on your PB balls!! They look SO good!! If only I lived in the US… :(

I’ve never noticed that you recycle photos!! I do it all the time- SO much quicker!! And I can’t believe they rejected those photos! They look PERFECT to me :)

And I still make your microwave banana cake daily and love it just as much as I did the first time!! You are a GENIUS!! :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 6th, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I feared that shipping overseas with customs, transit time, etc…that it was too risky for (semi) perishable food. I wish you could have bid, too!

CathyK — April 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm

good luck at the dentist! it must be dentist day – caitlin (HTP) just went too…hope you have better luck, poor caitlin!!!
    i don’t mind recycled photos. i’m used to your style, and with the number of recipes you feature, i would hope that you would use file photos and not waste time (as you say, better things to do) with taking repeat photos.
    i just started cluing in that i should save my pics after i post ‘em…so that’s what i am now doing, so i’ll have online files to draw from.
    i commend you for participating in the bake sale!! very nice!

Renee — April 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I stalk foodgawker all throughout the day, but I don’t like how exclusive they are with their photos. They want every picture to look the same it seems! Everyone photographs differently and everyone appreciates different styles of photography so I wish they’d let loose a little bit. I get that the point is to showcase the food, but there’s no reason to be so nitpicky!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 6th, 2011 at 5:37 pm

yes to this, for sure!
      “Everyone photographs differently and everyone appreciates different styles of photography”

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 6, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I think it’s totally fine to reuse pics! I mean you don’t need to make the recipe again every time you mention it – that would be loco :P

plus if your pics are as lovely as yours are, who wouldn’t want to reuse them :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — April 6, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Sometimes I do recycle if it’s something I might make frequently and just almost always looks the same anyway.

Lisa — April 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Just when I think I’m getting a better eye for photography, I send a “perfect” (in my eyes) pic to foodgawker ….and they reject it. So, I guess I’m a work in progress (at the way beginning stages) with photography! I would have said your photo is sharp…but I guess we’ll leave it to the experts :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 6th, 2011 at 5:38 pm

they reject tons of everyone’s, mine too, before they accept. and you never know what they’re gonna take. keep trying and submitting if you’re enjoying it.

janetha @ meals & moves — April 6, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I don’t recycle photos because I don’t like looking at recycled photos myself (personal opinion!) so I figure other people don’t want to see the same photo if I have used it previously. With that said, I don’t edit my photos.. ever.. so taking a new photo of something is not that big a deal. If I don’t take a photo of something simply because it’s something everyone has seen before, I will link back to where I have shown it.. but typically don’t recycle a previously posted photo. I have never been to either of those websites–taste spotting or food gawker.. I am more about rambling over worrying about awesome photos. They are fun to see on other blogs, but I don’t care so much if mine are “good enough” for a fancy website.

Evan Thomas — April 6, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I have never once been accepted on a food photography site, so I’ve just stopped trying. I’m not one to pick a fight :-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 6th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

They reject so many of mine before they accept them. Keep trying if you’re having fun with it. Then again, you may want to pick a fight. lol

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — April 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I think your new photos are beautiful. I did as you suggested and submitted my Broccoli Orzo Salad photo to Foodgawker, but I’m not going to hold my breath. It sounds like they reject photos that are WAY better than mine. I have so much to learn about photography. It’s fun to be part of the blog world, relating to other people through food and photography. :-)
    I rarely recycle my photos. But, then again, I rarely re-make my favorite recipes because I’m always trying to come up with new recipes. I really need to make an old favorite at least once a week.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I do recycle photos very rarely — only because I don’t take a ton of food or recipe photos. But I personally don’t mind recycled photos — most of the time I don’t even notice.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — April 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Oh my lawd. I love love loveeee mango and white chocolate!! That is a combo I have never tried before but now I should! Slash your pictures are gorgeous, I am so guilty of re-using pictures! Haha reduce reuse recycle right?:)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — April 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I rarely recycle photos. I don’t know why, I guess to keep it interesting or the hopes that I improve something. I don’t care about it one way or the other. As for FoodGawker and Tastespotting, those are photography based, which is why I haven’t submitted anything. I don’t have fancy equipment or programs to make things better and to me, it’s more about the food. Your treats look tasty!

Mary (what's cookin' with mary) — April 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Was wondering… does foodgawker always let you know why or why not they reject your entry ..? I know you’re a busy lady any may not have time to answer, but just curious. I’m totally addicted to that site. The pictures are all so pretty and they really inprise me to get better and better.

1) I don’t bc my blog is all about new recipes, but I occasionally re-make a recipe that has pictures from before I had my slr and if I’m feeling it…. I’ll take new ones just because I like to take pictures and bc its fun (!).

2) If someone re-uses a picture I don’t think much of it… I read a lot of blogs where people post about what they did or ate or cooked that day and although I do like pictures, it doesn’t ‘bother’ me if I’ve seen the picture before. …if someone didn’t like it, they could just keep on scrollin’ ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 6th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

does foodgawker always let you know why or why not they reject your entry = they give you a one liner/’form letter’ type answer, i.e. lighting, composition, dull/unsharp, etc. Nothing that is very specific. Trust me…I wish they did!

Jos — April 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I recycle some pictures as well cause it saves lots of time. Not really care if someone recycles her pictures….sorry your pics didn’t get accepted….might be because FG and TS thinks the color composition doesn’t have enough contrast? Just my opinion.

hippierunner — April 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Go green! Nothing wrong with recycling pictures! ;)

Whitney — April 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Don’t listen to those hoity-toity photoblogs. These pictures are amazing! You should be proud!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm

The main reason I don’t recycle photos more often is because I hardly ever make the same thing twice, lol. When I do a looking back post or favorites I use them more often.

Dull??? Those pics are not dull! They’re very crisp and clear. My latest rejections had the same dull unsharp reasons, too. Food photography is tough but I think we are getting better at it!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 6th, 2011 at 5:44 pm

it’s the old head scratch. at least dull/unsharp was better than “composition” which is just sooo broad!

and yes, we are getting better…slowly but surely we’re making progress :)

Erica — April 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm

mmmm little tasty balls of goodness! I love how the “icing” looks on top! I rarely reuse photos….I’m not sure why? All of those bake sales sound great- such great causes. I hope your week is going well so far

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I recycle some stuff, but honestly, I delete most of the daily eats pics I take. I save pretty ones/recipe ones, but if it’s a bowl of cereal or big salad, it goes in the trash folder. Fortunately Picasa saves my pics so I can go through old folders and find blog pics if I really need them!

I’m surprised the sites didn’t take those pics! I keep seeing Tweets of people saying they got rejected, so I feel like they’re kinda getting too nitpicky for their own good…

Sorry your comments keep going to spam, btw. A lot of people’s are, and I have no clue why…grr. I’m doing lots of spam checking though, so they’re all coming through eventually :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 6th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

yeah there are plenty of bloggers with consistently top shelf amazing pics that get rejected too. i never know what they’re gonna take of mine, and what they wont. So tricky! Nitpicky..indeed!

I need to figure out twitter…who was tweeting about it?

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Your photography is AMAZING and so are your recipes :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Hmm, I’m not sure if I agree with them not taking your photos. I guess they aren’t quite “defined,” but I think that’s because the food itself is a very light value. I’m not the expert, but I think they look great! :)

I have wondered a couple of times whether a photo you used is original or not, but I honestly don’t mind at all! I agree that we all have a life and a picture is simply a representation of what we eat and on the blog to help tell the story. I do like photographing my eats each and every time, but that’s just my personal choice.

Jen — April 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I have re-used pictures before, especially if i’m eating the same thing from the day before, it saves a lot of time to just re-use it! Other days when I have a bit more time, I’ll make the picture a little bit different :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — April 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Aw, if I were in America, I’d totally act like a sailor on payday for some of your goodies!

The General Contractor — April 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm

This is in no way a criticism, but I did notice you recycling your photos. But I have a bit of a photographic memory (no pun intended). Anyway, I think they are great! And better than I can do, at this point, so who am I to judge? :)
    I’ve been reading your blog for a while, found through HEAB, but have never commented. Thanks for some tasty recipes, I liked the veggie salsa bake ( I, too, can appreciate the cook once, eat twice factor), and have used the technique to make some other combos. I plan on making a microwave banana oat cake as soon as mine are ripe enough.

Keri - I Eat Trees — April 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I used to never recycle photos, but now I do it quite often, usually in list posts and that sort of a thing. If I like to look at a photo I took, then I assume other people should look at it too! Haha!

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — April 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Foodgawker and tastespotting reject alot of my pictures lol. I am like…UUUH I guess I can’t take good pictures! :) Your’s are so beautiful, I don’t see them dull/unsharp at all!

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Sorry about the photos being rejected, they’re awesome! I haven’t tried submitting any yet, but I should. I’ll re-use photos too, I have what I call “stock” photos of the hemp seeds I use, protein powder, etc.

1. Yes, maybe a couple times a week I do.
    2. Not really, why take a new pic of the same product?

kate@ahealthypassion — April 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Ahh I know how you feel all of my photos have gotten rejected and I though at least a few were pretty good but I have a point and shoot so theyll probably never be good enough. If only I could afford a dslr! :(

Katie — April 6, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I seriously need to remember not to come to your blog when I am hungry! lol! I crave sweet yums now!!

Thanks so much for the SWEET comment, I know we all get those comments, its part of blogging, but its all about brushing it off and handling it right! U do that well! Love u!!!!!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — April 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I don’t recycle very often, but if I did, I don’t think readers would really mind. Unless you use the same pics everyday :)

haibo — April 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I would suggest that you start to sell those and I will be the first buyer :) Thanks so much!

Chelsea — April 6, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Your food looks delicouuuuusssss to me! Who cares if they accept your pictures or not you have tons of followers gawking right now already ;D

Katie — April 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I definitely would not call any of those photos dull. I think its like reviewers being assigned to manuscripts – a lot of ir probably depends on who looks at your submission. you could probably resubmit the same exact photos, and if a new person sees them, they could get accepted. Its a crap-shoot, as my advisor likes to say.

I recycle some photos, but since not all my posts are about food, and I rarely make the same things twice, it doesn’t happen much. More often in a greatest hits type post, or a “chocolate” post. Or salad. Those I definitely recycle. I eat a huge one (at least) everyday. Don’t expect me to take a photo of it every time. And I would never expect others to.

anon-e-mouse — April 7, 2011 at 4:58 am

Recycled photos are totally fine and make absolute sense…it’s just when it’s the same pic and recipe every day that blogs get boring.

Amber K — April 7, 2011 at 8:05 am

I think all of your photos are great! I have never been to either of the websites you mentioned, but they must be picky.

I do tend to notice if photos are recycled, but it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I’d much rather the bloggers I read have a life ;) I don’t recycle my photos only because I am usually posting new recipes I’ve tried and if I am remaking an old favorite it’s been awhile and I probably tweaked it in some way.

Krista — April 7, 2011 at 8:55 am

I don’t usually reuse photos, but maybe if I had time to bake/cook more I would. I certainly don’t care if somebody does, though!

Katherine: Unemployed — April 7, 2011 at 10:36 am

I really don’t care if other people reuse and I don’t have an interesting enough life to reuse haha I mean I guess I post pictures that are old?

Beth — April 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

I don’t mind if you reused photos of your recipes, yourself, or Skylar. I don’t expect you to take a new set of photos every time you make the same recipe. How labour intensive would that be?
    Think that you used some of your new plates and possibly a new scarf for this set of photos though. Nice!

Michelle {Minding our Peas and Carrots} — April 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I love seeing your recycled photos! They are gorgeous and I could look at them all dang day. BTW, I loved your frankness with the reader on your last post when she asked if you could post new recipes. I gotta respect people like you, who “shoot straight” ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 7th, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Yes, if a recipe arsenal 300+ deep isn’t “enough” for some people, not to mention the 10 or so new recipes I’ve blogged about in the past few weeks, from potatoes to cookie dough balls…I don’t know what is :) They may need to consult a recipe site, since I am a blog not a recipe site per se, and just 1 person!

Thanks for your great comment :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I don’t reuse photos, usually because then I’d have to find them, and I will notice, and that would bother me.

Bella — April 8, 2011 at 1:06 am

thanks for mentioning Blogging for a Change – you rock!