Overnight Growth

I went to The Money Pit Target yesterday.  Skylar has been growing like a weed and her pants literally went from normal to high waters, overnight. A shopping trip was in order to restock pants.  Usually I restock produce, but yesterday it was restocking pants.

Yes, she is very tall for a four year old

Good thing Target kids clothes are usually a deal at $4 to $5 per item.  I picked up a couple pairs of pants and some dollar bin Easter socks.

And a couple pairs of shorts and a new bikini for her.  We’ll need those for our Caribbean getaway that’s coming up.

After some toiletries, toilet paper, and other thrilling items, I was a “good” girl and didn’t even venture into the dishes and kitchen area.

I found these towels in the dollar bins even though they were more than a dollar.  <– How does that work?

I’ve been so busy that easy, simple food is about all I can manage.

Snacking on fresh fruit

And Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing (vegan) makes a fast and easy, fresh meal

With Ginger Coconut Roasted Fennel, Carrots & Potatoes

Fennel is a favorite of mine.  It really reminds me of spring.

And for dessert Vegan Fudge hits the spot.

Good thing it’s no-bake, since I don’t have time for anything complicated or fussy these days.

From my last post about Posing, it was fun to hear what poses you’re working on in both yoga, and otherwise. It was also a joy to read that many of you with kids have your kids watching you practice and that they try their own little versions of yoga.  Cute!

1. Do you remember having growth spurts as a child?

Growing up I was, and still am, quite tall.  I remember growing about six inches during the school year of 5th grade.  I went from about 5’0 to 5’6″ that school year.  Nearly an inch per month of height growth!

I got growing pains in my legs, I ate like a horse, I outgrew my pants and shoes, monthly. I wore a woman’s size 10 shoe at age 1o and they didn’t stop there.  Big foot much?

I towered over everyone else, even more so than I did previously.  So yes, I remember growing!

2. Last Target (or similar store) purchases?

I am curious when I read other people’s blogs about what they bought, which brings me back to the major influence of blogs on shaping purchasing decisions.  It’s fun to hear what everyone is grooving on and sometimes I hear about great things, and also find some cautionary reviews, too.  Gabriela just posted about a dry shampoo she wasn’t loving.

At Target yesterday, other than clothes for Skylar, a couple dish towels, I also bought toilet paper, Palmer’s cocoa butter lotion, Carmex, Pantene conditioner for Skylar’s hair, Olay toner for my face, and I bought some goodies for Easter basket making.  The Easter Bunny is coming soon, after all!

Enjoy your day.  It’s almost Friday!

54 Responses to “Overnight Growth”

Christine @ Merf In Progress — April 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm

My son is not tall, but I had to do the big pants refresh as well (and duh, also at Target). He’s 4 and a half, and we had to move him from 3T into 4T pants (FINALLY!!!).

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 14, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I don’t remember growth spurts, but I remember my younger sisters suddenly growing one year — and it was close to when you’re describing — 4th or 5th grade. I’m sure I did the same thing but I don’t remember.

My niece is 4 and she is growing so fast too! She has really long legs. My sister (her mother) is almost 6 feet tall so we expected her to be tall too!

Latest purchases — thankfully I haven’t gone shopping all week but I’m going tomorrow after work. I’m sure I’ll find plenty of stuff to get.

And I laughed at the more-than-a-dollar towels in the dollar section. I don’t get it either!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — April 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I hear ya on growing kids! Like weeds I tell ya. I remember growing pains as a kid. I know my kids go through it too. I can always tell when mine are about to grow too because they eat like crazy and their faces get a little rounder…I swear they wake up the next day taller!

Cathy — April 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm

i TOTALLY remember growth spurts – the growing pains and my mom rubbing my legs to make them feel better, the suddenly-too-short pants…i was always the tallest girl in the class til about grade 7, then i just stopped growing! until then, my parents were sure i was going to be 6’+ (i’m 5’5″).
    great finds for skylar! i love those socks! sooo wish we had target…
    enjoy the rest of your day!

Eva — April 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Averie,

I rarely comment but I just have to say THANK YOU. I always look forward to reading your posts as a little break during my busy days and they are always positive and always make me smile!

Thanks, as always, for the radiating joy that comes from all of your posts,

Eva

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I always love seeing your pictures of all the beautiful flowers. It is always refreshing!

My recent food purchases? I just now posted about them…

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I grew from 5’0″ to 5’7″ in about a year, and haven’t grown since. Hello growth spurt! It’s funny that it happened so quickly, and then nothing since, though.

I haven’t been to Target for awhile, but whenever I’m there I always pick up a few Champion Sports Bras, beauty products and food staples. Wish there was one near me here!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — April 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm

My boys always have a growth spurt in February. My 12-year-old got his first pairs of men’s jeans because he had outgrown the boys’ sizes and my 3-year-old (4 in one month) is now in 5T. All of his long-sleeve shirts are looking like 3/4 sleeves, but he’ll just have to make do. We’ve got a lot of warm weather on the horizon.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I don’t remember growing too much. Just my last growth spurt. In grade 5 or 6 I was the tallest kid in the class at just under 5″2. And then I completely stopped growing and I was dwarfed by everyone, haha! Just curious, how tall are your parents? Do you come from a tall family? My mom and her mom are short like me but my dads side are all fairly tall or at least average height. My daughters still coming out of the pudgy baby phase and she’s slowly turning into a tall and thin toddler. I love it, but the clothing thing sucks! She’s got 6-12 month pants that fall off her little waist but they’re not even too short yet(she’s small all over, but apparently she has a tiny waist and no butt, haha!). It’s frustrating, but I’m sure she’ll grow out of it soon enough. My son had a similar problem too.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — April 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I bought a bathing suit at Target yesterday! Only 17 bucks- it was a steal :)

natasha — April 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm

omg i just made your raw vegan choc choc chip cookies in my dehydrator. YUM! somehow i missed the 1st time you posted the recipe. it’s a new fave here. i don’t comment much but i so enjoy your blog.

i have 3 kiddos so as far as the growth spurts, we like tar-jay, ebay, outlets, hand-me-downs from nice neighbors, goodwill stores . . .

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 14th, 2011 at 5:44 pm

glad to know you made and liked the cookies! you can oven bake them, or dehyd, or really just eat the dough raw :)

McKella — April 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Skylar has crazy-long hair too! I wish my hair grew like that; when I was four it was barely to my shoulders.
    My last purchases were in the produce section. Kale, red leaf lettuce, avocadoes, bananas and pears. It actually reminded me of you’re frequent produce hauls, kinda made me laugh. And I bought a bar of Lindt 90% dark chocolate. Mmmm…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 14th, 2011 at 5:44 pm

kids’ hair is so beautiful…shiny, no chemicals or hair color on it, no damage….I touch her hair every day and wish it was mine…haha!

Connie the cookie monster — April 14, 2011 at 3:36 pm

i literally just took pictures of my dole brand bananas on a wooden table too.

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life — April 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Target is SUCH a money suck! I find I can’t go in there without making a significant dent in my paycheck. I usually buy essentials there – shampoo, soap, kitchen utensils (yes, these are essential!), dishes, clothes, you name it. Another store that sucks up my money is World Market. I bought pillows, cushions, a doormat and of course FOOD there the other day! Thinking about going back to get a Papasan chair. :)

Monique — April 14, 2011 at 4:05 pm

No way she’s only four!! I would have guessed six or so :) She’s adorable! I never really had a growth spurt. I was never much taller or shorter than any of the boys, so I think I just steadily grew to 5’4″ haha. Oh and the Target $1 bins have different color dots on the tags. Some are $1, some are $2 and some are $2.50 I think. Clearly I frequent those bins ;)

Naomi — April 14, 2011 at 4:26 pm

wanna hear something crazy?? i went to target today and the only thing I walked out with was a bag of green beans and 20 dollars cash back from my purchase!! I was really surprised but I was in one of those moods where nothing was appealing to me and I didn’t feel like spending money on silly things I didn’t need!

Hey I do have a Q for you…I want a bathing suit for my competition for my photo shoot (Not for the show) any suggestions of websites?? I know vickis has a lot but im bore dof their stuff! I feel like you may know some sneaky websites!!

xoxo

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo — April 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm

After reading so much about Sunbutter, I found some at Target on clearance (with flax seeds mixed in to boot). I couldn’t pass it up! It’s definitely very tasty. I’ve got to stay away from the dollar bin…I’d go crazy there!

amber — April 14, 2011 at 5:14 pm

i havent had a growth spurt since about grade 5 or 6. i used to be the tall kid in class… and then i never never grew again. i stopped at a nice even 5 feet. it makes shopping for clothes hard sometimes (everythings always too long) but i’m comfortable with my height :-)

Becky — April 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Your recipe for raw pasta is SOOO good! I tried it about a week ago, it was delicious! My only problem was that I let it set for about an hour, and my “noodles” got WAY too soft for my liking. Can’t stand anything squishy, haha otherwise it was delish! Thanks for sharing!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 14th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

glad you made it..yes, the dressing will soften the noodles, fast. You can’t let it sit or it will get mushy!

Katie — April 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I grew about 5 inches the summer between 7th and 8th grade. And only an inch or two since then. That was a beastly summer.

Those dollar bins get me every time. Every single time, I tell you.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I LOVE Target! I cannot get out of there without spending less than $50! Skylar is so beautiful, my goodness – she is ging to be a heart breaker!

I have always been tall – I towered over everyone my entire life. I’ve actually been 5’8″ since I was 12!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Awww, that’s so awesome that Skylar is growing like a healthy little sprout should. She’s probably going to be taller than me soon, LOL.

I love Target’s $1 bins, but yeah, they are tricky. Some are $2-3 or more. Those towels are super cute!! Love <3

Paige @ Running Around Normal — April 14, 2011 at 5:54 pm

What a beautiful little girl. She’s going to grow up to be tall and beautiful like her momma :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm

3rd through 5th grade was CRAZY for me!!! I think I had 5 new wardrobes a year between those two times. I think I would have appreciated that more if I was a few years older. ;) There was a Kmart in our town at the time, so that’s where my mom bought a lot of my clothes as I was growing, but by 5th grade I was hitting American Eagle, Hollister, and Abercrombie. Definitely AFTER the major growth though!

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 14, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Target is a money pit, I have another list for it this week! Great food pics, I hear ya on simple dishes after this week!

1. Not really, but I must have had them since I’m 6′ tall. Being the youngest of three, I got a lot of hand-me-downs that didn’t always fit perfectly – I wore crops before they were the style. :-P
    2. Birthday cards and an iTunes gift card for a gift.

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — April 14, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I don’t think I had dramatic growth spurts, but I have flat feet which caused me hell when they grew a bit faster. I could barely walk for a short period of time. Arch supports saved my life.

Skylar’s looking adorable!

-sigh- You make me long so dearly for my spiralizer. And my Vita!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 14, 2011 at 6:31 pm

That last picture has me CRAVING some fudge!! Aaaaaah :-)

Leslie — April 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Oh my, I spend way too much at Target! But my girl is like Skylar in that she grows soooo fast! Last summer, I wasn’t ready and ended up buying a whole summer wardrobe at once, but this year, I’m ready. I’ve been garage and thrift saleing all year, baby, and I’m ready!!! :)

hippierunner — April 14, 2011 at 8:23 pm

My last post is on what I got from Target! :)

CH — April 14, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I’m completely drooling over the fudge but I can’t have it since I gave up chocolate for Lent. Aghhhhh….

I don’t remember growth spurts, but I do remember this horrible growing pain in my left knee that probably lasted from when I was about 7 or 8 until 13 or 14? It would wake me up in the middle of the night….it was awful!

rawkinmom — April 14, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I am only 5 feet and I honestly don’t ever remember growing pains…my kids are very small too….my 8 year old daughter can still wear and does wear a size 5-6….her feet are very small too….both my kids can usually wear the same clothes from the previous year…usually we pull out the summer bins and do a try on…most things still fit so we keep it!! LOL Saves on money for sure!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I don’t know if I have ever been to a Target store!! Maybe once, but I can’t remember.

We have Walmart, but I rarely go there anymore.

I need to stock up on pants, and get some cute socks, but I am waiting for my NY trip to shop, shop, shop!!!

Chelsea — April 14, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Target…I can walk in only planning to get a few things and walk out having spent $200! I love it though haha :) It’s so much better than walmart too!
    Your new pictures look GREAT btw! I love that salad mmmm. That class really came handy for you!

Andrea — April 14, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I grew at a rapid pace as well! I’m 5’11 now, and I love it – but when I was taller than all the boys and girls for years…ugh not so great! I couldn’t play on the McDonalds play place after age 6! Tragic. Okay, enough of my sob story – I’m commenting because I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatters, just a heads up if your little one keeps growing like you and I did!
    http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/osgood.htm is an explanation of it…fascinating!

download Cheap OEM software — April 15, 2011 at 1:31 am

When i visit a blog, chances are that I notice that most blogs are amateurish. On the contrary,I could honestly say that you writting is decent and your website solid.

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — April 15, 2011 at 6:03 am

I remember my growth spurt. Third grade I was still a normal little kid, but by the start of fourth great I was taller and more developed than everyone else. Even though I was only 5’1 (still am to this day) I was one of the bigger kids in my grade.

Target had great bathing suite this year. I pretty much bought the whole bathing suit sections! Definitely check them out!

Katie — April 15, 2011 at 6:53 am

Hi Averie,

I just recently came across your blog and love reading it–I can’t wait to try a lot of your recipes!

I am 5’10 too and remember having a growth spurt in middle school–aka most awkward time anyways and then I was taller than all the boys and hatedddd being tall, but now I love it and still wear heels all the time…if I’m already taller than most people why not add on a few inches, right?

Krista — April 15, 2011 at 10:28 am

I don’t remember growing like a weed, but my daughter does. I’m 5’7″ and at not quite 12 she’s as tall as me. Even Noah has outgrown pants that were bought for him at Christmas. Craziness, I tell ya!!!

Erica D @ Gratitouille — April 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

My mom has told me I had horrible growing pains, but I can’t remember anything bad. Good sign, perhaps? I adore being 5’2 and wouldn’t change my height for the world!

Amber K — April 15, 2011 at 10:33 am

I only remember one major growth spurt and I actually don’t remember going through it. I only remember it because it resulted in some massive stretch marks on my arms. Exactly why they need to make swim suits with sleeves! I don’t need a silly little skirt to hide my thighs, I need some cute sleeves ;)

I don’t think I quite understand the Target thing. I’ve gone there numerous times, but only for something specific and I leave with just that. I’m too much of a cheapskate I guess! lol

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 15th, 2011 at 12:06 pm

major props to you if you dont find Target to be a money pit..from the clothes to beauty products to household and kitchen good…omg 99% of women I know (me included) could drop tons$$.. You’re lucky!

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 15, 2011 at 11:18 am

I dominated over all my classmates until 5th grade, when there was finally one girl about 1/2 inch taller than me and one guy that was about an inch and a half taller than me. I remember the growing pains too!!!

Beth — April 15, 2011 at 11:36 am

If Skylar keeps growing at the same rate, she can use her older pants as Capris for the summer months.
    That is a cute bikini too.

Growth spurts: I remember bumping into things as I grew. Not so much the new clothes. I was one of the tallest in my class – until grade 9 when the guys finally sprouted.

Purchases: I’m headed to Zeller’s (recently bought out by Target) to buy a cheapy palstic watch to wear at the paintball field.

Michele Sparrow — April 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I am only 5’3″ now and so I didn’t have growth spurts when I was a child. However, my oldest son, who is not quite 15 is 6’2″ and still growing. He has long legs…36″ inseam fits him just right…not sure where we are gonna get pants when he outgrows THAT length.

I love Target and we have one but it is 45 minutes from my house so I don’t get there often. Look out when I DO get there. It’s so easy to go all out…kinda like Costco for some! :-)

sikiş izle — April 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

JoAnna — April 16, 2011 at 9:22 pm

They money pit is right! I love Target though, I think it’s impossible not to. :)
    We have opposite issues at my house. Hubs and I are both short so our kiddos’ pants are dragging. Maybe I need to learn to sew hems…
    Your raw pasta salad looks great!